As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overlooked classics

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I have played every game everyone in this thread has listed except for cj iwakura's.

You've never played this, though:
    wl7hfn.jpg

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What if he did?

It was on PS2 and Wii

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »
    Sword_of_Vermilion.jpg

Fun RPG, had alot of different elements to the gameplay

The "Town View" utilises the typical overhead angle found in most RPGs.
    The "Battle View" is a tilted overhead view where the player takes full control of the character in real-time combat. The player can use weapons and magic.
    The "Dungeon View" is in the first person perspective.
    The "Boss View" puts the player up against a boss from a sideways viewpoint.

Hell yes, I remember playing this. The manual was absolutely huge, it had stats on just about everything you would ever ever face.

EDIT: SEE! RIGHT ON THE BOX.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is all I can think of when people mention Sword of Vermilion.

Sword of Vermilion

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ChaseExpress_PAL_Front.jpg

Or if this wasn't hard boiled enough for you (of you lived anywhere other than PAL regions):

863664-nuclear_dawn_cover_large.jpg

This game was basically a cross between Resident Evil and Under Siege 2. You were a dude on a NATO built supertrain trying to stop a bunch of terrorists blowing up half of Europe with a nuclear weapon. It had a resi style inventory and puzzle/item finding type gameplay but with a moving camera and third person combat, but it also did lots of stuff which is commonplace now but was awesome back then.

-Cover system
    -Story changes based on what actions you take
    -Multiple endings
    -Weapon customization

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    fear.jpg

Not sure how "overlooked" this is (since it got a fair amount of hype), but I never really heard too many people talk about it outside of publications. Anyone know how well did in sales?

Anyways, without a doubt my favorite PS1 game. The most graphically-interesting game on the system (at a price; it was a 5-6 hour game at best but took up four discs), Resident Evil-style controls but with a much friendly aiming/shooting mechanic, the first time I ever actually had fun with stealth sections, awesome puzzles, and a really kickass story with three equally endearing characters (and three separate - and awesome - endings).

They made a sequel, Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix. It was also really good, though nothing major changed from the first game. It had lesbians, as you might recall.

They were going to make a third one for PS2 but Eidos got all fucking retarded and decided not to make it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ChaseExpress_PAL_Front.jpg

Or if this wasn't hard boiled enough for you (of you lived anywhere other than PAL regions):

863664-nuclear_dawn_cover_large.jpg

This game was basically a cross between Resident Evil and Under Siege 2. You were a dude on a NATO built supertrain trying to stop a bunch of terrorists blowing up half of Europe with a nuclear weapon. It had a resi style inventory and puzzle/item finding type gameplay but with a moving camera and third person combat, but it also did lots of stuff which is commonplace now but was awesome back then.

-Cover system
    -Story changes based on what actions you take
    -Multiple endings
    -Weapon customization

My cousin onces spent hours trying to convince me this game existed, I guess he wasn't a filthy liar after all :p

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Imperium_Galactica_II.jpg

I don't know how well it holds up today but I used to play the hell out of IG2 on my old laptop after school. I just remember thinking the space battles were really awesome, even if they occurred on a 2d plane.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    Rare RabbitRare Rabbit Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    842045-die_hard_trilogy_ps_us_large.jpg

I personally liked the Time Crisis rip off but the Taxi stuff was decent also.

Jurassic%20park.jpg

I don't know how overlooked it was but I seemed to be the only who had even heard of it where I'm from.

Tombi was great as well even though I never found the actual game outside of a demo.

Rare Rabbit on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The NotThe Not Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Should be noted that "The Lost World" launched the career of composer Michael Giachinno, who went on to compose the Medal of Honor games, and then jumped to hollywood, composing Star Trek, Incredibles, anything that JJ Abrams does (LOST), and just won a fucking OSCAR.

I was there when he began and loved him ever since :)

The Not on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    According to Wiki, his first two games were Gargoyles and Maui Mallard

I liked Maui Mallard!

Also I love Giacchino, Hi5

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was going to say Darklands is criminally overlooked, since it's the best RPG ever made but nobody talks about it. But I checked the wiki page before I posted and it's apparently Gamespot has it on a list of "The Greatest Games Ever," so I guess maybe it's not so overlooked? I don't know anymore.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AlexPHott wrote: »
    Easily one of the best games ever that is very unknown to the majority, which is a shame... The Neverhood!

Just an example known as the "Weasel Chase", this game uses claymation, everything is made of clay, it's awesome... Epic. I cannot explain in words.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDh_O3FQWY

You are awesome. This is one of my all time favourites.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well I know that Tomba 2 works in my 60 gig ps3. I so wish I could actualy find a copy of Tomba that didn't have any scratches cause the slightest knick and they game becomes unplayable at a random cutsceen.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've found one post by one dude on some other forum through Google that states his copy of Tomba works on PS3

That's a small glimmer of hope

I almost wanna blow the $80 for it on eBay

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rock_N%27_Roll_Racing_Cover.jpg

Sure, it's just RC pro am with guns and a soundtrack featuring Sabbath, Steppenwolf and Deep Purple, but I fucking loved this game as a kid and whenever I talk to a super nintendo owner they are like "wait what game are you talking about?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i don't know how many hours i wasted trying to get better at this
    n64winbackcovertops.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »

Sure, it's just RC pro am with guns and a soundtrack featuring Sabbath, Steppenwolf and Deep Purple

Why downplay it?

That is absolutely enough reason

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Didn't Winback get released a little while after goldeneye did? I remember playing it and thinking it was okay, but didn't spend much time with it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Like two years afterward

It was made as more of an answer to MGS though than GoldenEye

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    n64winbackcovertops.jpg

RE4 controls on a system that needs them + Metal Gear Solid + really bad writing

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    landstalker-cover.jpg

Think Zelda, but isometric and on the Genesis. And every bit as awesome. A few years ago they showed a demo of a remake of the game on the PSP. I don't think anything ever came of it, unfortunately. I would buy 10.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hey, I have the cart for that, it's great fun. It's also hard due to the isometric and walls getting in the way of the sword

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    With all the praise that game gets, I was really surprised that it wasn't on the Ultimate Genesis Collection disc released last year

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I used to have the cart, but I lost it long ago. Now I have it on the Wii Virtual Console. And I gave it away several times to Virtual Console Secret Santa.

I'm kind of a fan.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Usually this thread has what I'd consider a fairly common game by the third post, I'm very impressed so far.

I have two suggestions, both with metal in the title.

Metal Storm: Pretty much the first game to really use gravity well on the NES. It's an incredible experience.

Metal Clash: The best lightgun game ever made.

I do believe you meant to say "Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge" is the the sequel to the game "Battle Clash". Both are awesome, but Metal Combat definitely took it up a notch. I wish the series would continue on Wii.

(SPOILER WARNING, although this is a 1993 light gun game here, so....)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2mSjz5ip8&feature=related

Another game I'd like to add from the SNES would be "Looney Tunes B-Ball". It's basically NBA Jam with the Looney Tunes cast, and since they are timeless, it makes this game timeless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X39mBvZ9Tg&feature=related

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ps2_fatal_frame_2.jpg

last-blade1.gif

rival.jpg

ehrgeiz.jpg

Heavy+Gear+2.jpg

I don't know how "unknown" these all are. But they are definitely unknown these days.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Guys, don't use VGmuseum, it doesn't let you hotlink. Mobygames is out too. Both of these sites make you look like a failure

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I see the pics just fine.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No one else does.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The two that come to my mind are Blast Corps (N64) and Einhander (PS1). Blast Corps could really use a remake with a Havok 2.0 engine, that would be good times.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    198684_28021_front.jpg

Aside from a slightly higher learning curve it is completely superior to Mario Kart 64 but I've rarely met anyone who has even heard of this game.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Both Snowboard Kids games were excellent

I preferred them to 1080, actually

Why are there no great snowboarding games anymore? I really hope Criterion is making the next SSX as rumored

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    n64winbackcovertops.jpg

I wouldn't really consider that an overlooked game, nor a classic.

it was the first shooter I ever played that used a cover mechanic though (except Time Crisis).

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    what about
    Air%20Border%2064_01.gif
    Air Boarder 64?
    I don't know about it being a classic, but its certainly overlooked, I don't know anyone who's heard of it but it was a good bit of fun.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know how "unknown" these all are. But they are definitely unknown these days.

I don't think Fatal Frame is unknown, but it certainly is a classic. 2 is probably the best horror game there is.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »

Sure, it's just RC pro am with guns and a soundtrack featuring Sabbath, Steppenwolf and Deep Purple, but I fucking loved this game as a kid and whenever I talk to a super nintendo owner they are like "wait what game are you talking about?

I was under the impression that this is a really well known game. There was even a GBA re-release. Awesome game.

solsovly on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really think AeroGauge deserves a sequel. It was awesome how you could fly around the track doing crazy drift-boosts. Shame it only came with like 4 tracks though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asb3pqMUgWQ&feature=related

It even had funky MMX music! And you could play as an N64 controller!

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Tanolen wrote: »
    Sword_of_Vermilion.jpg

Fun RPG, had alot of different elements to the gameplay

The "Town View" utilises the typical overhead angle found in most RPGs.
    The "Battle View" is a tilted overhead view where the player takes full control of the character in real-time combat. The player can use weapons and magic.
    The "Dungeon View" is in the first person perspective.
    The "Boss View" puts the player up against a boss from a sideways viewpoint.

Hell yes, I remember playing this. The manual was absolutely huge, it had stats on just about everything you would ever ever face.

EDIT: SEE! RIGHT ON THE BOX.

I actually beat this game. I remember you can glitch it up pretty badly at the end. There's some sort of cursed armor/item that lowers your stats when you wear it, but you can remove the curse and take it off. If you keep doing that until your stats go to 0, they roll over to MAX. Awesome.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There is a old Sega Genesis RPG I'd love to add in here but I can't remember much about it other than I found it to be rather unique and fun. All I can remember now is that it had a interesting way of implementing necromancers as good guys (that was actually believable rather than Diablo 2's sad attempt), basically they mastered death in order to restore life, they didn't raise zombies or turn corpses into bombs, they were the game's healers. Not a huge thing, but I thought it was a neat idea at the time.

If I recall correctly it had an isometric viewpoint and was set in a rather open, non-linear game world. I'll love you long time if you can help me figure out what game this was.

Yoshua on