As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overlooked classics

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anybody play this?

Unnatural Selection

2144-1.jpg

Originally on DOS and who know what else. You had to breed genetically enhanced monsters aboard an aircraft carrier to do battle with other monsters bred by the bad guy. Way fun. Multiple ways to win too. You could breed real tough strong monsters, or monsters that bred really really fast. You could also introduce diseases and have your monsters breed with the enemy causing them to die off. It was way fun as far as I can remember.

Also all the monsters were done up claymation style.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It sounds awesome

almost like Designasaurus

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure if they're old enough to be considered classics, or even overlooked, but nonetheless....

Little Big Adventure, known as Relentless in the United States. Phenomenal early CD-ROM adventure game. To be fair, it might not have been overlooked, since in 1994, something like 50% of people who actually owned home CD-ROM drives owned this game (or so I've heard).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWlr5QWDop0

The sequel was also phenomenal....it had a 3D world in 1997, when a lot of games were still using 2D sprites. And by the standards of the time, it was huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKKiuNHNXyQ

I'm not sure how well-known these games were in the United States, given they were French releases and pretty famous otherwise (they were translated into a lot of languages).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    EngelNULEngelNUL Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My usual suspects for threads like this::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p62hA4GUw8

The first almost entirely 3d engined FPS! The levels were huge, there was driving and flying missions...and actually kind of a decently awesome story set in the Future Wars. As with ALL xngine games it had a ton of bugs, but was still awesome and about 20x better than SkyNET (but 8 player LAN was awesome)...

And then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQdBgIGdVw

M.A.X. was a weird Turned Based tactics game resembling how most RTS at the time were played. Doubleblind online play was AWESOME!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb4wX1S1vvs

The actual 24 hour mode was cool cause you could save your progress at pit stops. And it had multiple environment settings so the lighting and the time of day would change. (glares at Gran Turismo/Forza) It also had up to 20 cars on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUpouWkMM8Y

Way too much fun in the Asteroid multi player level!!!

EngelNUL on
    Pokemanz Soul Silverz: 2837 2607 9912

"How pathetic, they must really want to die flying those Z-95 Headhunters"

"Historians exercise great power and some of them know it. They recreate the past, changing it to fit their own interpretations. Thus, they change the future as well." - Leto II
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Ascendancy_Coverart.png

One of the few 4X games I've ever been able to get into. Awesome game with a huge tech tree, ability to create your own ships and a wide variety of weird races with extremely surreal lore. Also, fantastic soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kpzbAj6zQ

Oh god that game was so horrifyingly addictive.

Because while you could refit your ships with shiney new tech you had to do it by hand. A large armada could easily result in an hour straight of just refitting ships as rapidly as you could until your arm was tired. And while there was an AI you could turn on to build things on a newly colonized planet, it would only ever build the lowest version of that building. Which meant that, yup, if you want the most out of your empire you could have to go through every planet and build everything by hand.

And yet in spite of this (or maybe because of it?) I played the ever living shit out of this game for months.

Also props to whoever brought up Alien Legacy. So much fun.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xeno id wrote: »
    Gentlemen, for your consideration I present to you.....
    Story:
    The game's opening cinematic shows a spaceship crashing onto a mining colony. The ship's occupant dies shortly after the crash. The space-traveler's mind is to be transplanted into cyborg body and his memory erased so that he can be put to work. The memory wipe fails and the player, as the unwilling cyborg, must escape.

1-2 Player Co-op

The wiki sucks so here's my explanation.

Cyborg Justice is a side scrolling fighter that allows you to build and equip your custom cyborg with various deadly appendages from Buzz saw arms to blaster arms. Legs can be changed for a fast style or a more defensive style. The same applies to the chest type.

This game rules because of it's variety of ways you can build your own cyborg. Right from the start you select:

Body Type
    Leg Type
    Arm Type

There's even a testing room when you're done designing your cyborg to test their moves and abilities.

Depending on which one of these you mix and match you'll get a different cyborg each time. What makes it so awesome is the fact that when you're fighting other cyborgs you can rip off their parts and replace your own with theirs.

So if you choose the buzz saw arm (pictured above) but decide you don't like that fighting style you can grab one of your random opponents and rip their arm off and attach it to yourself. The same goes with the legs. These makes the game play VERY dynamic and allows for the player to build a cyborg that suites their own style.

That game was so fucking awesome.

My cousin has it and when we played it we had no idea what was going on.

I also got ripped in half.

I still remember the cheat menu code for this. Pause, then mash CBBCCACB as fast as possible.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    .::IBA::.ZardoZ.::IBA::.ZardoZ dual What? TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    splash_stellar7-splash.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlXU-1T5m0

In 1990, running on DOS?

This thing blew my mind.

I've also never met anyone else who knew what the hell it was.

Someone else purchased that game? I believe this calls for a daaaamn.

tell me where you find the teleport in the first level and you earn one internet dollar

otherwise, you are not a true fan

I only played it a very little. My brother was the owner and the fan of the game. I was more trying to express that you reminded me that I've never heard anyone else mention it.

I wouldn't worry about it, I played it all the damn time and I don't remember that. Its always been "That game with the sled tanks and the awesome intro!" for me.

Man I had this game on floppy and for the 3DO! Great stuff!

.::IBA::.ZardoZ on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has Star Tropics been mentioned? It should. I want a new Star Tropics.

solsovly on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Star Tropics is generally hailed as a classic, but if you want a game that is sort of a black sheep diamond in the rough? Star Tropics 2: Zodas Revenge.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pastee wrote: »
    Kiss: Psycho Circus - The Nightmare Child.

Published by Gathering of Developers and using the Lithtech engine from Monolith.

Written by a spin-off of Ion Storm.

Based on Todd McFarlane's comic book series.

Came out in 2K. I don't know about the console ports, but the PC version rocked my socks.

And don't even pretend you played it.... cause I know you're lying! :P

That was probably the best game made off of a band. Still, it was pretty ridiculous.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm proud to say I recognize way over 50% of the games mention. Hell, probably more than 75%. Clearly I've done nothing productive with my youth (or adulthood).

A number of these games have articles on them over at Hardcore Gaming 101, which is an amazing website that robbed me of all kinds of evenings until I had read everything on there twice.

I was wondering when you were going to pop in and drool over Ascendancy, Happy. I remember the times we all had with that game. It's too bad I was always (and still am) awful at 4x games.

I tend to think of Drakengard as a really underappreciated game, because its story was unfailingly depressing. I was disappointed in the sequel in no small part because it was lighter-hearted, and also because the hero was a teenager instead of a war-grizzled psychopath, but meh.

About Drakengard's story,
    I was always really impressed with the writers for making every single ending a failure for the main character. Your sister, whose life you set out to protect as you one and only job, always dies, either murdered by Manah or killing herself out of shame. I was amazed of the darkness of putting that suicide in, too. Usually, our popular culture demands that the ending be happy for all stories, always. Even the stories themselves are rarely allowed to be very depressing, at stark contrast to how I see reality. That's given me a real distaste for happy endings, and a tremendous liking for stories that have the guts to proceed and end sadly.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »

Published by Gathering of Developers and using the Lithtech engine from Monolith.

Came out in 2K. I don't know about the console ports, but the PC version rocked my socks.

That was probably the best game made off of a band. Still, it was pretty ridiculous.

Have that for the dreamcast. Weird as hell game.

Arrath on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have the disks lying around some where here for the PC, and yeah, it was actually a not too bad shooter.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Since I don't remember seeing it mentioned...

Fade to Black. Sequel to Flashback which, despite iffy graphics (this was a year before Quake, so full 3d was far from the norm... and far from hardware friendly) and terrible controls, was a really enjoyable action adventure game that ties up Flashback's story nicely.

Interestingly, I discovered it had two endings by accident. In the final boss fight I accidentally killed the person I was rescuing, which still allows you to finish the game, but you don't get Conrad's voice-over in the final cinematic, making it a much more morose affair.

Also, outstanding box art. <3

cfire1.jpg101309511700.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7kzKG4-kxI

Glal on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got stuck in the third area of Fade to Black, or something similar.
    Little too hard sometimes to tell what was killing you.
    Arguably the first full 3D third-person action adventure though, wasn't it?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Davoid wrote: »
    Star Tropics is generally hailed as a classic, but if you want a game that is sort of a black sheep diamond in the rough? Star Tropics 2: Zodas Revenge.

That came out really late in the NES life cycle. I think I remember that coming out well after I got a SNES so I never got to play it.

solsovly on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I got stuck in the third area of Fade to Black, or something similar.
    Little too hard sometimes to tell what was killing you.
    Arguably the first full 3D third-person action adventure though, wasn't it?
    You know, I never thought of it, but... it's definitely a contender, as Tomb Raider didn't come out until a year later.

Glal on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here we go, an RPG that I don't think anyone else played:

91928303.jpg

It had an interesting body snatching mechanic, and it was by Atlus, which is why I tried it in the first place. Not a classic, but definately overlooked.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wonder what games from this gen will come up in a thread like this 10 years down the road?

Also, glad someone mentioned Shogo. Not a classic, but I loved it.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I wonder what games from this gen will come up in a thread like this 10 years down the road?

Also, glad someone mentioned Shogo. Not a classic, but I loved it.

Culdcept Saga
    Stuntmant: Ignition
    Flower

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, LBA 2 was the best game ever.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In the vein of robots stealing peoples arms to fight with... Am I alone in my nostalgia for Robo Pit? It was a PS game where you fought (as ROBOTS) in one-on-one arena matches, and could take your opponents arms and redesign your body and such. You fight up through the ranks like a boxing game.

CowShark on
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who remembers this:

Wizards_and_Warriors_NES_cover.jpg

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember the rage it induced.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Amen to that. God help me with those platforming mechanics. You had to jump on knots of wood on the tree that were about half as wide as your foot.

But man, I played the hell outta Wizards and Warriors.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    solsovly wrote: »
    Davoid wrote: »

That came out really late in the NES life cycle. I think I remember that coming out well after I got a SNES so I never got to play it.

Heh... bought it on VC specifically because it was late in the NES's life cycle and heard good things about it but never played it. Playing it now actually.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not sure how obscure this is considered, but I personally haven't met anyone else who's owned or played this:

Dead%20ball%20zone.jpg

Great fun, suppose it's kind of like Blood Bowl in the futuristic 40k setting; chainsaws, bombs and guns as weapons. Players would regularly collapse, bleed, vomit or flat out die on the field as a result of some brutal combo moves.

Could have named any number of others, but I actually saw a copy of this in an indie shop the other day.

Still got my copy; there's something satisfying about kicking a guy in the balls to get possession. Most of my matches ended up with me ignoring the super-powerful suplex move and just making the entire opposing team sing soprano.

Then you unlock the Cyborg team and never have to worry about injuries/deaths ever again. At least, for your team. The other team, not so much... :)

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yoshua wrote: »
    There is a old Sega Genesis RPG I'd love to add in here but I can't remember much about it other than I found it to be rather unique and fun. All I can remember now is that it had a interesting way of implementing necromancers as good guys (that was actually believable rather than Diablo 2's sad attempt), basically they mastered death in order to restore life, they didn't raise zombies or turn corpses into bombs, they were the game's healers. Not a huge thing, but I thought it was a neat idea at the time.

If I recall correctly it had an isometric viewpoint and was set in a rather open, non-linear game world. I'll love you long time if you can help me figure out what game this was.

Rings of power. Awesome game.

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! Trying to remember the name of this game has been bothering me a long time. And yeah, it was awesome, especially for what it did on the hardware it did it on.

I seem to remember having a lot of fun with Tyrants back in the day, no idea if that one was overlooked or not, but who can hate destroying your cavemen enemies with flying saucers. (well assuming you could get a good enough tech lead)

Yoshua on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here's a few, not sure if they all meet the overlooked spec completely, but they are all awesome, non-mainstream games.

256px-Sacrifice_by_Interplay_-_box_art.jpg

mythbox.jpg

ninja-five-o.456354.jpg

Vagrantstorybox.jpg

astro-boy-omega-factor439965.jpg

250px-Baseballsim1000SNES_boxart.jpg

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

God I hated Wizards and Warriors so much... but I couldn't stop playing it.
    (back in my day we only got a game every couple months get off my lawn etc)

solsovly on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This isn't really a classic, but does anybody remember that Jurassic Park: Trespasser game that came out after the Lost World movie?

It was a piece of garbage, but I still had a ton of fun playing that as a kid. Even looking back at it (and for shits and giggles I replayed it over last summer), it was pretty forward thinking. It was basically an outdoor Half-Life, but whereas Valve understood how to limit their vision because of technological concerns, the Trespasser guys didn't. To this day there are still people putting pieces of the game back together, trying to make the lost levels and whatnot.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    This isn't really a classic, but does anybody remember that Jurassic Park: Trespasser game that came out after the Lost World movie?

It was a piece of garbage, but I still had a ton of fun playing that as a kid. Even looking back at it (and for shits and giggles I replayed it over last summer), it was pretty forward thinking. It was basically an outdoor Half-Life, but whereas Valve understood how to limit their vision because of technological concerns, the Trespasser guys didn't. To this day there are still people putting pieces of the game back together, trying to make the lost levels and whatnot.

The only reason I remember that game was the fact that you could look down and see your tomb raider-esque body/health meter.

solsovly on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »

I remember reading a preview of that, thinking it pretty much sounded like DOOM but with Kiss. Looking at some videos on Youtube, it looks a lot like Hexen 2.

With Kiss.

I.. I had that game. I remember really liking the graphics at the time.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm not sure if they're old enough to be considered classics, or even overlooked, but nonetheless....

Little Big Adventure, known as Relentless in the United States. Phenomenal early CD-ROM adventure game. To be fair, it might not have been overlooked, since in 1994, something like 50% of people who actually owned home CD-ROM drives owned this game (or so I've heard).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWlr5QWDop0

The sequel was also phenomenal....it had a 3D world in 1997, when a lot of games were still using 2D sprites. And by the standards of the time, it was huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKKiuNHNXyQ

I'm not sure how well-known these games were in the United States, given they were French releases and pretty famous otherwise (they were translated into a lot of languages).

Yeess, these are awesome, but there's a third as well right? I remember having three of them. Also Fade To Black was terrible. I can't remember any specifics, but I was so disappointed.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Actually man I remember they had the KISS game at the Zellers where is used to live, it was always on the shelf and when I got my first job there and bought it for like 4 dollars.

Pretty hilarious game from what I remember

Dixon on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know if it counts as "overlooked" but my two all time favorite games are still

Evo_search_eden_box.jpg

and

claymates.jpeg

EVO search for eden and Claymates

literally my two favorite games ever made

Arch on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EVO is indeed pretty great. Would love to see a similar concept get remade today.

JeffH on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Enix put out some fantastic stuff for the SNES. It's too bad that very little of it was played at all.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »

I hope you are not counting Beatles Rock Band :(

also: Aerosmith has TWO video games. Some shitty Guitar Hero game and this gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmMSeRxzbbk

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I played this when it came out in the arcade from beginning to end. It only took a lot of time, a pocket full of quarters, and a total lack of self respect.

chamberlain on