As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overlooked classics

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AlexPHott wrote: »
    Oh I just got reminded by an old game I used to love, a cookie to anyone who sees what it is:
    2ni4shh.jpg

G-Police?

And you know what were some awesome games that I completely forgot about until now? Colony Wars.

Why the hell has there not been a new Colony Wars game?

Zenitram on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Conquest_-_Frontier_Wars_Coverart.png

I've met one other person who owns this.

256px-Adventrisingbox.jpg

Tragically overlooked. Buggy as hell, but deeply fun. Did some things that could've been stupid, but were a nice touch. For example, the game takes place over many months and the player's model changes - his hair grows out.

242px-Alienleg.jpg
    And nobody's even heard of this game, as far as I can tell.

Tamin on
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh I just got reminded by an old game I used to love, a cookie to anyone who sees what it is:
    2ni4shh.jpg

LAPD 2042 or something along those lines?

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Also:

therealcover.jpg

Remind me again why there was no #3? I loved these games.

Yes, this fucking game. My brother and I played the shit out of it, I even remember the terrible commercials they had for it.

The most fun probably came from cheating though. Being able to play the levels as the different monsters made it infinitely more fun.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    2ni4shh.jpg

That, sir, is Future Cop: LAPD, and it is fucking awesome.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    strife.jpg

Fuck yes. This game was awesome, it was like an RPG on the DOOM engine.
    Story

You are a wandering mercenary, led to the small town of Tarnhill by rumors of
    conflict between The Order, a well-equipped religious dictatorship, and The
    Front, the rag tag resistance movement. While searching for The Front you
    decided to take a brief rest somewhere that you thought was safe. The Order
    acolytes have been rounding up all suspicious characters in the area. Yes, you
    happen to be one of them. What they didn't expect, though, is the knife you
    keep concealed for situations just like this one...

(Taken from manual.)

It had a central "hub" of a town with a tavern and shops and whatnot, and you could make decisions that would affect the outcome of the game (you basically had to align yourself with a faction, if I remember right, though there were side missions also). Being on the DOOM engine, you could also open fire on anyone, anytime. Which was awesome fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bGfU57F06Q

Just Like That on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    Starsiege_Box_Cover.jpg

One of my all time favorite games. Often overshadowed by the Mechwarrior series but Starsiege had so much style that I still think its at least on par with mechwarrior. Also it has Mark Hamil in it and some of the best music in a mech game.

I enjoyed the single player campaign more than everything in the MechWarrior series that wasn't MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm throwing Primal Rage into the ring (wait, there's no competition? Damn ...) because hell, it's dinosaurs and Mortal Kombat. That alone is worth it right there. Also this was the game that got my mom worried about violence ... that I would one day turn into a tyrannosaurus and bludgeon random giant apes to death with my tail or something.
    ATARI%20-%20PRIMAL%20RAGE%201994.jpg

And I don't think it's quite old enough to be considered a classic, but last gen's Cel Damage is a helluva fun party game.
    145.jpg

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Advent Rising... heh.

I remember when I worked at GameStop during its release... was going to be the first in a trilogy of games, and it had this big sticker offering like a million dollars in some contest to be held 6 months later.

Contest was cancelled, as the developer went bankrupt.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really want Advent Rising two and three...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    splash_stellar7-splash.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlXU-1T5m0

In 1990, running on DOS?

This thing blew my mind.

I've also never met anyone else who knew what the hell it was.

Someone else purchased that game? I believe this calls for a daaaamn.

tell me where you find the teleport in the first level and you earn one internet dollar

otherwise, you are not a true fan

MrDelish on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Davoid wrote: »
    This is the opposite of overlooked, but, I guess overlooked by me.

Playing Dragon Warrior for the first time, it's pretty fun.

^5. I played through that for the first time maybe 6 months ago.

256px-Hybridheaven.jpg

I didn't see Hybrid Heaven listed, and that's pretty much the definition of over-looked.

I remember being really intrigued by that from the stuff I read about it in GamePro and meant to buy it, but never actually did. I think the rather average reviews made me pass as I was only 12 at the time and money was tough to come by at that age. It's one of the few N64 games that I passed over that I'd still like to go back and play at some point.

Not sure if these were overlooked or not, but they were among my favorite N64 games.

6772-fgsutflryi.jpg
    army-men-sarge-s-heroes.518307.jpg

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    CJTheran wrote: »
    2ni4shh.jpg

That, sir, is Future Cop: LAPD, and it is fucking awesome.

I bought Future Cop at a Play N Trade like a year ago. The multiplayer is still awesome, not to mention its clearly a ancestor of modern day DoTA style games.

redraptor on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mines_of_Titan_Coverart.png

I'm pretty sure that my dad and I are the only people who bothered to play this. We were riding high on a Wasteland high and came across this game in our quest for more RPGs that involved shooting things.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That was a re-imagining of Mars Saga, wasn't it?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That was a re-imagining of Mars Saga, wasn't it?

Yup.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    God, I remember that playing one on my C64... Never got beyond discovering the Martian lifeforms, though.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Abandonia has it up for download, I should give it a shot!

Here is the link for anyone else who wants it:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/894/Mines+of+Titan.html

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    Starsiege_Box_Cover.jpg

One of my all time favorite games. Often overshadowed by the Mechwarrior series but Starsiege had so much style that I still think its at least on par with mechwarrior. Also it has Mark Hamil in it and some of the best music in a mech game.

I was heavy into the multiplayer for this game. Nothing like rocking an Olympian with 4 Blasters and 2 EMPs with an SMOD and bare bones computers and sensors to compensate for the huge weight and heat issues that loadout caused.

Man, I played so much Starsiege online. It seemed so unique at the time compared to mech warrior.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Abandonia has it up for download, I should give it a shot!

Here is the link for anyone else who wants it:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/894/Mines+of+Titan.html

I read somewhere that a lot of the abandonware copies are bugged. Not sure how true it is, but you may want to keep it in mind as they will apparently crash towards the end of the game rendering the game unbeatable.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    aw, dang. I'll check the forum and see if anyone had that problem, or is aware of that copy having that problem.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Giving a mention to an old favorite, The Mark of Kri
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqBPuUidk8Y
    I can't remember how well it fared, sales-wise, but I know it got a sequel. I've heard rumblings of a PS3 sequel, which would be awesome, but no concrete info.

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It got a third game actually. It just wasn't called Mark of Kri.

Or maybe I'm adding too many games in the series.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The sequel was pretty shit and killed the franchise. Third never made it. Too bad too, it was a super good sleeper hit.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I never picked up Rise of the Kasai, because I heard it had a shitty AI partner thing going on. The first one was a heap of fun, though.

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Options
    ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've never seen this game mentioned on any list of overlooked classics or anything similar, but I thought it was AMAZING to say the last.

snesbigskytrooperboxfro.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prHWLjWOtKY

The preview doesn't do it justice, but there is a 10 minute intro video on youtube that shows a mini-game and some basic gameplay too, but the game still has a lot more depth.

Has anyone even played this game!? Maybe I'm suffering from nostalgia -- I guess I should dust off the SNES and play it again to see how it is.

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    From Lucasarts? Interesting!

Watching a let's play, I do not think it's nostalgia. It looks like a pretty decent game.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    588814_47190_front.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btBkT7x2qJk

Wow. This game was so good. I hope it counts as overlooked.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Countdown_to_Doomsday_computer_game_cover.jpg

My first experience of an RPG, I sunk more hours than I'd care to remember into this, trying to find me some martian needle guns.

785-1.jpg

Not a great game, but decent... and I've never met anyone who's played it.

Deicist on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »

In 1990, running on DOS?

This thing blew my mind.

tell me where you find the teleport in the first level and you earn one internet dollar

I only played it a very little. My brother was the owner and the fan of the game. I was more trying to express that you reminded me that I've never heard anyone else mention it.

Tamin on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've played Gender Wars. Decent Syndicate clone, but even at the time the tech was incredibly shitty. There was no scrolling in the levels, so instead of switching screens when you walked to the edge, the next part would slide across like a page being turned. Incredibly disorienting.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EndrzGame wrote: »
    Anyone ever played this?

Star_Wars_-_Shadows_of_the_Empire_Coverart.png

Hell yeah I played SotE! That and Zelda OoT were the first two games I bought for my N64. =)

I was blown away when I realized I could fly through the AT-AT's legs. I loved that game. It had HOTH and JetPacks. And some excellent Space battles, I loved the Skyhook battle.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I doubt this one was "overlooked" but im just gonna throw "Kickle Cubicle" out there for the nostalgia factor.

If you dont know what im talking about, go get yourself a copy for the NES like NOW!

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ascendancy_Coverart.png

One of the few 4X games I've ever been able to get into. Awesome game with a huge tech tree, ability to create your own ships and a wide variety of weird races with extremely surreal lore. Also, fantastic soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kpzbAj6zQ

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Giving a mention to an old favorite, The Mark of Kri
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqBPuUidk8Y
    I can't remember how well it fared, sales-wise, but I know it got a sequel. I've heard rumblings of a PS3 sequel, which would be awesome, but no concrete info.

So much about this game was fantastic.

The story was great, it was presented brilliantly. The voice acting was great, the narration was great. The graphics were great. And the gameplay was sublime. Being surrounded by dozens of mans, taking them out one after the other in a smooth succession of brutal moves made you feel bad ass like no other game could at the time.

I personally think the game sold badly because of its looks, people just assumed it was a kiddy/budget title. It wasn't until I saw it at a friends house that I knew how utterly brutal it was.

Seriously, this game is violent.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One game I love, and just rebought at a used game shop was Abadox...I don't remember it selling too well back in the day.

Abadox_box_art.jpg

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I suppose Toki itself isn't that unknown. It was a fairly popular arcade game in the early 90s, and was ported to a multitude of systems. It's even being remade by some French indie group.

Toki2.PNG

But I do want to highlight the Amiga port, which I think is the best version of the game. Mostly because it replaces the almost stock soundtrack of the arcade version (which only had like two or three different pieces) with kickass ethereal synth hacker/cracker intro demoscene shit. I love that kind of stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XHe4jC-gE

Cherrn on
  • Options
    AlexPHottAlexPHott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I loved this game when I was younger, played it all the damn time, not sure if it's very over looked... None the less epic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b16upFloYak

AlexPHott on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sure not many people played Gene Wars but that shit was awesome.

It was like, an RTS game where you and a bunch of competing factions touch down on a new planet and research the indigenous life, then attempt to domesticate and crossbreed the species and then use them to wreck the other team's stuff. Forcing birds and mules to some how figure out the porking procedure blew my fragile young mind.

Making fucked up donkey-bird-snakes erryday.

Also, there was this old game on PC called Dominus.

it played kind of like the recent Overlord series and a tower defense game where you spend some time building up your castle defenses and then some time fighting the monsters off. You could capture monsters and store them in your dungeon. Then you could sacrifice their souls to create bigger and better monsters, which you could then deploy to help you during the attack phase.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »

In 1990, running on DOS?

This thing blew my mind.

I only played it a very little. My brother was the owner and the fan of the game. I was more trying to express that you reminded me that I've never heard anyone else mention it.

I wouldn't worry about it, I played it all the damn time and I don't remember that. Its always been "That game with the sled tanks and the awesome intro!" for me.

Raynaga on