Options

Le Monstre du [Chat]

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Damnit. I struggled and wailed so much about trying to find information about whether or not my health trust pays for psychiatric visits that both my coworkers are now painfully aware that I am, in fact, seeking psychiatric help.

Fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

And? Many of them probably could use some therapy of their own. The difference you're gonna get it.

It's embarassing as hell. One of them has very much had a hard childhood than I am and brags about how he got by all his life without any help. Here I've practically lived in idle comfort my entire life.

He's smarter than me and more fit than I am. I'm fat, slow, and constantly depressed.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so what's hardcore? really, are you hardcore? hmm.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Damnit. I struggled and wailed so much about trying to find information about whether or not my health trust pays for psychiatric visits that both my coworkers are now painfully aware that I am, in fact, seeking psychiatric help.

And? Many of them probably could use some therapy of their own. The difference you're gonna get it.

It's embarassing as hell. One of them has very much had a hard childhood than I am and brags about how he got by all his life without any help. Here I've practically lived in idle comfort my entire life.

He's smarter than me and more fit than I am. I'm fat, slow, and constantly depressed.
    Jesus man you gotta stop doing this shit.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    other things i am unwilling to sort through the modern glut of bullshit to find gems:

american country music
    mystery novels
    one-man stage shows
    books about the iraq war
    anything attempting to intellectually justify video games

and a bunch of other things

there's entire spheres of literature, music, art, etc. that i look at and go "maaaaan, i am not fucking bothering with going through all that. i'm sure there's good stuff in there, but maaaaan"

then i put on my headphones, listen to some lady gaga, and go get a hot dog

A sufficient, but not nescessary, condition for a good mystery novel: Does it feature one Hercule Poirot. Agatha Christie is good stuff.

If nothing else everyone should read Murder on the Orient Express. And Murder in Mesopotamia.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Pony, since you yourself have said that you know a great deal about poetry, perhaps you can explain what you dislike about Modern and Postmodern poetry (since apparently they are two monolithic agents) and then you can give some examples which you find to be so abhorrent.

naw, i'm good.

you know what i find more obnoxious than bad contemporary poetry?

trying to analyze and critique bad poetry on the internet with a philosophy major

so anyway, tell me about synthesizers

I love how Pony thinks so highly of himself.

And has, like, nothing to show for it.

_J_ on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know shit about poetry. But I like me some Coleridge. I like my rhymes about mariners. Bonus points if they're ancient.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    I wish I knew more about poetry. But I find it difficult to actually get into. Hopefully that will change someday.

Robert Pinsky -- The Sounds of Poetry
    Eavan Boland -- The Making of a Poem
    Cleanth Brooks -- The Well-Wrought Urn
    Paul Fussell -- Poetic Meter and Poetic Form (possibly the best book ever written on poetic elements)

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

people's brains work differently

if you both had broken legs and his healed better than yours, you wouldn't look down on yourself as somehow less

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

if you both had broken legs and his healed better than yours, you wouldn't look down on yourself as somehow less

Actually, I think I would.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

i did not expect to like this but i really did.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

THEY CALLED HIM MISTER GLASS!

Bama on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

oh

well, go see a doctor so your leg-brain works better!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

oh

well, go see a doctor so your leg-brain works better!

:^: will do

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish I knew more about poetry. But I find it difficult to actually get into. Hopefully that will change someday.

Paul Fussell -- Poetic Meter and Poetic Form (possibly the best book ever written on poetic elements)

Thanks, I've added those books to my things to do notepad file.

Cinders on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

You have a "things to do" notepad file?

_J_ on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    other things i am unwilling to sort through the modern glut of bullshit to find gems:

american country music
    mystery novels
    one-man stage shows
    books about the iraq war
    anything attempting to intellectually justify video games

and a bunch of other things

there's entire spheres of literature, music, art, etc. that i look at and go "maaaaan, i am not fucking bothering with going through all that. i'm sure there's good stuff in there, but maaaaan"

then i put on my headphones, listen to some lady gaga, and go get a hot dog

A sufficient, but not nescessary, condition for a good mystery novel: Does it feature one Hercule Poirot. Agatha Christie is good stuff.

If nothing else everyone should read Murder on the Orient Express. And Murder in Mesopotamia.

there are some fantastic mystery novels that are currently being written and sold

fantastic

i can't name any off the top of my head, but there's just so many mystery novels in general i am sure they exist!

however, mystery is a section i walk right on by in my local book store because i just... i can't deal with the crappy ones anymore

and there are so many crappy ones.

i realized a long time ago that my level of general acceptance of a genre of art/film/music/literature whatever has actually very little to do with the general quality level of that genre and more to do with my tolerance level for the bullshit within that genre

mystery novels is one of those things where my tolerance is very low

especially compared to say, pop music

Pony on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have notepad files for everything.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The first two are very introductory and breezy. The third one is a full-on "new criticism" but still easy reading. The fourth is a highly technical and dry reading if you don't care for meter. But if you think the difference between the iamb and the trochee is essential, then you will love it.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i did not expect to like this but i really did.

yay

as I said, there is some really good poetry among the Def Poetry seasons

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Making it through things in life without help isn't a huge point of honor. I spent most of my life fucking up and then trying to bull my way through dealing with it. With the problems that lead to my drinking, I thought I had successfully dealt with it until I came close to taking my own life. And even then I needed help to start getting help. Then after my marriage, I thought I had no choice to tough it out and just deal. That worked brilliantly until I almost drove myself nuts spending all of my time questioning my paranoia. And the whole time, I went through both things, I kept up a front that everything was fine. He may have made it through just fine. Some people do. More people make it through while presenting a face that everything is fine while they are broken and twisted on the inside.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wordcited would be a good name for a word processing program

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    _J_ wrote: »

You have a "things to do" notepad file?

My mind is quite faulty. It helps.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The first two are very introductory and breezy. The third one is a full-on "new criticism" but still easy reading. The fourth is a highly technical and dry reading if you don't care for meter. But if you think the difference between the iamb and the trochee is essential, then you will love it.

Sweet, I'll have to wait till I get paid again to pick them up, but this sounds good.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    anyway, the notion that someone is being irritated or dismissive by an entire swath of something or another is some kind of failure to know anything about it is sort of dumb.

a person could know a great deal about the subject, but just be sort of irritable and impatient with that thing and unwilling to really give much of it a fair shake out of nothing more than frustration.

which can lead to them making snippy remarks and generalized criticisms about that thing

it doesn't mean they don't know anything about it

just that they're annoyed

Pony on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How can you be an enlightened individual if you outright take an entire category of something and say "I dismiss this all because a lot of it is crap."

I hate country music, but I am not going to dismiss The Man in Black.

I don't get it.

Ludious on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »

What is this...

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

What is this...

k'naan, what's hardcore

I think tim posted it a couple of pages back

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Notepad files on the political movement that grew out of the asteroid miner's union in Betelgeuse

Timeline of the october revolution

Military doctrine of Epsilon Eridani

Possible places to study

etc etc

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pony: I am so smart.
    Poldy: That's pretty likely. But how do you justify this.
    Pony: Just trust me, brah.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010

What is this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ouDZkX1Yh8

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    How can you be an enlightened individual if you outright take an entire category of something and say "I dismiss this all because a lot of it is crap."

I don't get it.

God, I love Johnny Cash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP67H4qfe5w

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    people being ashamed of needing psychological help/looking down on people who need it is stupid as hell

it's brought out of these asinine ideas that all people's lives are equally measurable, therefore your need for professional help should be proportionate to how "hard" the lives are of people who do or do not need it.

"what do you need psychological help for? you came from a wealthy family where you were the only child and were spoiled and got to go to university and your dad set you up with a job at his firm. my life is so much worse, i grew up poor and lost a foot in a hiking accident and have had to deal with a disability all my life. i'm not depressed, what's your excuse?"

this sort of mindset is, in the words of the late ted kennedy

wick-ahd re-tah-ded

Pony on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly, leave the comedy to people that are actually funny. You go concern yourself with philosophy and shitty music.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I'm digging deep in my music collection. Mmm, Hocico, Heimataerde, Headscan...

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Sweet, I'll have to wait till I get paid again to pick them up, but this sounds good.

apparently, Understanding Poetry by Cleanth Brooks and Robert Penn Warren is back in print. Unfortunately, it's $80. Keep your eyes peeled for it -- it was the major literary text book from about 1950-1970. It is absolutely amazing, but has fallen out of favor since the New Critics disappeared. I love my copy -- it is the best text to learn poetry.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly, leave the comedy to people that are actually funny. You go concern yourself with philosophy and shitty music.

I thought he was pretty funny.
    How's about you stop pretending you're the judge of what is worthy of time and attention.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What's fun is he didn't even write that song.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ludious wrote: »

I don't get it.

how much country music do you listen to in the hopes of finding another Johnny Cash amongst the Toby Keiths and Dixie Chicks of the world?

i like johnny cash. i like dwight yokum. i like garth brooks, even!

i don't spend a great deal of time listening to country music, or investing any time in learning about new country music artists, because my tolerance level for the general "noise" of that genre is not sufficient enough to be patient to find the "signal" that appeals to me, so to speak.

so, i don't bother.

i would consider that being dismissive towards country music, wouldn't you say?

Pony on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A good mystery novel is one written by Raymond Chandler. fin

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

What is this...

k'naan, what's hardcore

I think tim posted it a couple of pages back

Chyeaa

TL DR on
This discussion has been closed.