As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

End of Dark Reign *Speculation, but spoilers may come up*

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    IN THE HEROIC AGE, THOR WILL WEAR GLOVES

Furu on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not liking the gloves on Thor's costume. When did that start?

With that cover.

Solar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Furu wrote: »

Is Thor allowed to drink milkshakes still?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone over at Scans_Daily posted a fantastic theory on Sentry/Void that I've thought of as well but not nearly as eloquent. Here's the link:

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1752078.html?#cutid1

Does contain some spoilers of recent events.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Its an interesting theory but i doubt that Bendis has put that much thought into it considering how lax the surrounding story has been.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No, but it's a retcon which could easily be slipped in and make total sense. Plus there is the whole "seven years in the making" or however long it is, and when the event to end an era has it's big baddie as part of a character who really became something around the beginning of that era, it's not too far a stretch.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Secret Invasion kind of shoots the whole "we've planned it all along" thing in the foot with Marvel.

Or a better way to rephrase that is that by telling us that was planned all along, and then the finished product wasn't very convincing, believing them on this event is even less likely.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Secret Invasion kind of shoots the whole "we've planned it all along" thing in the foot with Marvel.

Or a better way to rephrase that is that by telling us that was planned all along, and then the finished product wasn't very convincing, believing them on this event is even less likely.

It was the same with Cap Reborn. The 2 year absence was planned all along and everything was set out, except that was very obviously a gun he was shot and killed with and then later it became a time-gun of some sort.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why did they shoot him with a time gun anyway? I never got that, surely the best thing to do would just be to fill him with some bullets to kill him once and for all. Seems needlessly complex...

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Regarding Reborn, I think Brubaker's original plan was to start it in the regular Cap book at issue 30 but editorial convinced him to push back the return. He was worried the book couldn't last without Steve.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds kinda cool, but I think it's another variation on the whole 'everything revolves around Sentry and the Void' idea, and I don't really want that. With recent events in Siege, though, it might even turn out to be the case.

The notion that Sentry is like the god of heroes and the Void the god of villains is an interesting one, and the reason the Void has become so powerful is because things have gone awesome for the bad guys lately (or vice versa).

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't think Secret Invasion undermines any long term plan since Bendis was originally going to have the story be a much more low-key New Avengers only thing.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Sounds kinda cool, but I think it's another variation on the whole 'everything revolves around Sentry and the Void' idea, and I don't really want that. With recent events in Siege, though, it might even turn out to be the case.

The notion that Sentry is like the god of heroes and the Void the god of villains is an interesting one, and the reason the Void has become so powerful is because things have gone awesome for the bad guys lately (or vice versa).

So basically Sentry needs all the children of the world to clap their hands together, while the Void is on panel going "what? I was so close to victory! Noooooo!" and then Sentry turns into a spaceship and blows him away smooth criminal.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Why did they shoot him with a time gun anyway? I never got that, surely the best thing to do would just be to fill him with some bullets to kill him once and for all. Seems needlessly complex...

Wasn't his body still in the present to? I dont get it, its one of those 80's horror level plot lines youre just expected to ignore te lack of effort in. Wouldn't you just go shoot all the heroes with time bullets and get rid of them? Seems the sensible thing to do and is the reason you don't introduce stupid technology like SPINtech.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »

So basically Sentry needs all the children of the world to clap their hands together, while the Void is on panel going "what? I was so close to victory! Noooooo!" and then Sentry turns into a spaceship and blows him away smooth criminal.

I wouldn't mind this
    better than extreme seriousness all the time

Antimatter on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like my extreme seriousness; it appeals to the adult in me

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ever since I became an adult, my life has been a parade of misery.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hah, since becoming an adult, my parade of misery ended.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    As a twenty year old student, I find myself straddling the adult/child line, and I tell you, that rocks hard. All the priveleges, none of the responsibility.

Solar on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As a twenty year old student, I find myself straddling the adult/child line, and I tell you, that rocks hard. All the priveleges, none of the responsibility.

This is my goal in life.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    And it is a truly worthy one.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lot's of Siege books came out today, might as well comment on them;

New Avengers was good, lots of flashbacks but the interactions were great especially with Luke and Jessica.

Initiative was allright, nothing major but some good fights and character work.

Mighty was great I thought, the end reveal actually shocked me a bit.

Thunderbolts was solid and of course a great final page that's been talked about in the MotW thread.

And last but not least Thor was excellent and the fight between Volstagg and Ragnarok was epic.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Makes me wonder: If Zombie Sentry goes around eating everyone, what does this mean for Zombie Void? Does he go around trying to save everyone?
    Zombie Sentry kills people by eating them.

Zombie Void vomits babies.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Lot's of Siege books came out today, might as well comment on them;

New Avengers was good, lots of flashbacks but the interactions were great especially with Luke and Jessica.

Initiative was allright, nothing major but some good fights and character work.

Mighty was great I thought, the end reveal actually shocked me a bit.

Thunderbolts was solid and of course a great final page that's been talked about in the MotW thread.

And last but not least Thor was excellent and the fight between Volstagg and Ragnarok was epic.

I loved the way that this week The Hood
    Went from having his arse kicked by Tigra and a guy who throws metal sticks in Initiative to kicking Tyr's ass in Thor. It's nice to see that Parker is a sporting chap and will play softball for you if you're not ready to play in the major league.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So...Daken making out with Bulls/Hawkeye. I was reading the preview for next week's Dark Wolverine, and that scene totally raised my eyebrows. From what little I know of Daken, I suppose it makes sense. He uses physical contact such as that to establish dominance. In this case, Daken was using the spit-swapping to assert dominance over Bulls/Hawkeye.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    New Mutants #11 might turn out to be the best Siege tie-in book in terms of awesome moments...
    For one thing it's written by Kieron Gillen so the writing will be top-notch but due to the nature of the story we might get an Ares cameo. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Gillen uses this story to bring back Hrimhari who sacrificed himself to save Rahne Sinclair in Necrosha.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If Ares is showing up (maybe before he became two people), maybe the travesty of him getting beat up by Dani Moonstone will be rectified with him bringing on the pain train in her face

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That never sat weel with me. I always thought that gods of war like Ares or whatever should be the toughest gods in a fight, and that they could fight and beat just about anything.

Solar on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That never sat weel with me. I always thought that gods of war like Ares or whatever should be the toughest gods in a fight, and that they could fight and beat just about anything.

I suppose the question is what War really means. I think they made a good point in emphasizing that Ares isn't/wasn't THE god of war, but rather ONE OF: the other, Athena, is just as much a god of war as Ares. They're different aspects of it.

Part of that is that one might be physically stronger than the other, one might be craftier, one might be more strategic, etc.

Not to mention that winning the battle doesn't mean winning the war, and vice-versa.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just figured Ares lost because he'd already got a lot of power drained from him by Rogue and then blown up by Gambit and Danger. Guy wasn't at 100%, and even if he was, the Valkyrie's have been a match for Thor and Hercules before, so I can see one of them at least breaking even against Ares.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I might actually pick up the New Mutants Siege crossover, because I betcha Dani Moonstar is going to be interacting with dead Ares. It would be cool to see what Ares has to say about being dead, and if there are any hints as to if/when he'll return.

Though I'll probably wait until someone else picks it up and reviews it. I'm real stingy these days.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The New Mutants Siege book is only $2.99 so thankfully it's affordable. In fact a good chunk of the Siege tie-in books have been 3 dollars instead of 4. Even the 5 one-shots coming out in April to cover up for the delay of Siege #4 are only 3 dollars.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As far as the sentry goes. I think hes going to hit critical mass. The whole basic idea of sentry is kinda a balance thing (imo)...if he does something good as sentry he has to do something bad as void. So him going all apeshit is going to put him to a point where he can never be the void again because he needs to balance it with doing so much good...yet he just took down asgard....thats a *massive* evil...thats like destroying an entire world...even moreso, like destroying a galaxy because asgard kinda exists in its own little universe with its 9 worlds.

Furu wrote: »

The more disgusting reason hes wearing gloves is that when his hammer was repaired hes not put so much of his life force in his hammer to repair it that if it breaks again he dies right? So its so much a part of him that if he uses his bare hands to wield it its like masterbating. Hes basically just wearing a condom to reduce sensitivity and prevent making a mess in his new duds all the time.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The Bendis commentary for Siege #3 has a few interesting points I'll put here. For one, Loki does show up in issue 4, and Victoria Hand will be a major player as well. Also Siege #4 is a double-sized issue so I'll somewhat forgive Coipel for the minor delay.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They are the same person. I don't think it's clearly a case of The Void and Bob. It isn't like one personality takes over the other. I think there's varying degrees of each in the different versions that you see, like the best version of Bob had a little bit of The Void in it so he could kick some ass. That was the Sentry who ripped Carnage in half. Without that influence, you get this simpering guy who can't move. That's Bob on his own.

I like this explanation of the Sentry/Void personality. It gives a lot more depth to the character and adds a lot more complexity and insight to the character as a whole. It's too bad Bob is likely to die (or get forgotten again) in the next issue, I really would have liked to see further continuity of this Sentry free of the control and influence of heroes and villains.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They are the same person. I don't think it's clearly a case of The Void and Bob. It isn't like one personality takes over the other. I think there's varying degrees of each in the different versions that you see, like the best version of Bob had a little bit of The Void in it so he could kick some ass. That was the Sentry who ripped Carnage in half. Without that influence, you get this simpering guy who can't move. That's Bob on his own.

I like this explanation of the Sentry/Void personality. It gives a lot more depth to the character and adds a lot more complexity and insight to the character as a whole. It's too bad Bob is likely to die (or get forgotten again) in the next issue, I really would have liked to see further continuity of this Sentry free of the control and influence of heroes and villains.

We've also seen that the angrier that Rob gets, the more he merges with the Void. Case: in point, when Ultron killed his wife his eyes and veins went all black while he kicked her metal ass across NY. He also started ignoring his team-mates and punching them away when he was trying to do his trademark "tear it in half" maneouvre.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I thought the Sentry's trademark manuever was "throw it into the sun"

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "I don't throw everything in to the sun."

Weaver on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some things he just throws into outer space.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The Sentry is so cool he has two tradmarked manuevers.

Solar on