Options

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay, so my dumb ass is stuck again, this time in Sector D.
    I've gotten the see-in-the-dark ability, and I stumbled onto a statue, but otherwise I feel like I've explored everywhere to no avail.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    I don't remember him in DDS2. He was a fucking dick in DDS1 though, jesus. So fucking not worth fighting.

Yeah. I meant it in a very general sense. He's just a pain in every game.

Well Samael is a high tier demon, so of course he's a pain. Wasn't he the boss of the Diet Building in Nocturne? Whenever he shows up you know you're near the end of the game and so they don't have time to screw around with wimps. You call Samael when you call in the big guns.

Gilder on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've gotten the see-in-the-dark ability, and I stumbled onto a statue, but otherwise I feel like I've explored everywhere to no avail.
    Just keep going up. You'll come back to the statue later.

Joule on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He always blows in Persona though.

Elendil on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's particularly upsetting since he looks so damn cool.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Joule wrote: »
    That's the thing, I can get to 5F, and then there's just a lot of invisible room bullshit with the moving walkways. Is there another floor above that?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's the thing, I can get to 5F, and then there's just a lot of invisible room bullshit with the moving walkways. Is there another floor above that?
    Yeah there are a few more above. Getting the correct route of moving walkways to the upstairs is a bit of trial and error to see where everything goes. If you just want to get to the next floor quickly here's the correct route in map form.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah there are a few more above. Getting the correct route of moving walkways to the upstairs is a bit of trial and error to see where everything goes. If you just want to get to the next floor quickly here's the correct route in map form.

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed.
    I really wish getting the ability to see in the dark made those squares mark on your map as normal.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Awesome, that's exactly what I needed.
    I really wish getting the ability to see in the dark made those squares mark on your map as normal.
    THIS IS WHAT I WANT!

Also warp squares with a something attached so I can see which two connect to each other. I swear I'll never be able to map E out.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2010
    Jesus, you guys should be glad you even have an automap. Imagine us old timers that had to do shit like this with graph paper.

A duck! on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I spent the better part of an hour making a paper map of that teleport maze in E sector. I don't think I've finished it yet, either.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    See I dont think theres anything bad about doing that, as some people seem to have a lot of fun doing something like that. But to me it starts feeling more like a job and less like a game.

I cant imagine Id last very long if I had to make my own map. Especially if I accidently got something wrong and had to start all over :S

Bedlam on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bedlam wrote: »
    See I dont think theres anything bad about doing that, as some people seem to have a lot of fun doing something like that. But to me it starts feeling more like a job and less like a game.

I cant imagine Id last very long if I had to make my own map. Especially if I accidently got something wrong and had to start all over :S

That's why you use pencils, not pens. I find paper maps a little more useful, because you can add in all the little bits that the game' automap leaves out

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2010
    This second
    Ouroboros
    fight can go suck a dick. It's just endless Disaster Cycles and Mahamas.

A duck! on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shadow Kanji is one of the strangest things I've ever seen in a video game.

captaink on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Shadow Kanji is one of the strangest things I've ever seen in a video game.

Why is that? (Choose your words really fucking carefully.)

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The lisping reverb voice is just extra weird. And the bathhouse dungeon. And he's an evil demon shadow clone wearing a loincloth.

captaink on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    King Frost is super good. I'm law and he's still in my always in my reserve.

Also, does E sector ever end? It seems like these floors go on FOREVER.

King Frost is one of my favorite Demons, he looks amazing.

I wish I could equip an awesome wig like his.

And his scepter looks like a Slime, so that's great.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maaaan Daisojou is a bastard; a party-killing turn-doubling bastard.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Beck wrote: »
    King Frost is super good. I'm law and he's still in my always in my reserve.

Also, does E sector ever end? It seems like these floors go on FOREVER.

King Frost is one of my favorite Demons, he looks amazing.

I wish I could equip an awesome wig like his.

And his scepter looks like a Slime, so that's great.

It's too bad his demon source usually sucks.

Also if you want to do any alignment EX missions remember to change your alignment before sector G's boss. You'll thank me later. Remember to not be on one of the extremes before going into the endgame though or the choice will be taken away from you.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I'm at the final boss of Strange Journey and Jesus Christ.

Me: Alright. I've got a fresh high level party all fused up, fully healed, and I'm at a higher level than any random encounter in this entire dungeon. Let's do this thing!
    Boss: *Opening attack takes out two demons in one hit. Second round uses Asura Roga and my MC and remaining demon kill each other*
    Me: FUCK YOU ATLUS THIS IS BULLSHIT

So now my strategy is to grind until this stops happening.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    holy titties tiamat!

Actually there are a few demons in F that are a little rude.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    JONJONAUG wrote: »

Me: Alright. I've got a fresh high level party all fused up, fully healed, and I'm at a higher level than any random encounter in this entire dungeon. Let's do this thing!
    Boss: *Opening attack takes out two demons in one hit. Second round uses Asura Roga and my MC and remaining demon kill each other*

This is making me regret my purchase of Strange Journey a little bit. I was all "Hey I love Persona maybe I should give SMT a chance, maybe it won't be grindy bullshit engineered to produce artificial faux difficulty"

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

This is making me regret my purchase of Strange Journey a little bit. I was all "Hey I love Persona maybe I should give SMT a chance, maybe it won't be grindy bullshit engineered to produce artificial faux difficulty"

The thing is that I haven't had to grind at any other point in the entire game. Every boss before this can be defeated with the right mix of demons. But this one just murders me before I even have the chance to get buffs/debuffs up.

But the team that I need to construct to have a good chance against this boss doesn't open up until about level 78 or so, and I'm currently level 73.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

But...artificial difficulty is what SMT is all about. Seriously. One unlucky death spell, or mildly challenging boss, and the entire internet explodes into cries of "THIS GAME IS THE MOST DIFFICULT EVER."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    One thing I think is both glorious and terrible about SJ is how you can now fuse/buy demons from the compendium absolutely anywhere at all. I have found myself considering the merits of registering and buying back a demon just to refill MP mid dungeon-crawl, and I suspect it's only a matter of time before I fuse two demons together just because I ran out of Dis-Poisons or something. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get a fusion accident at the most inconvenient time possible.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

But...artificial difficulty is what SMT is all about. Seriously. One unlucky death spell, or mildly challenging boss, and the entire internet explodes into cries of "THIS GAME IS THE MOST DIFFICULT EVER."

And that's unfortunate because to me it's indicative of lazy game design, but wutevs. Still gonna give it a shot.

There are plenty of games that manage to be fun in spite of their mechanics rather than because of them. Like Baldurs Gate 2!

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

And that's unfortunate because to me it's indicative of lazy game design, but wutevs. Still gonna give it a shot.

There are plenty of games that manage to be fun in spite of their mechanics rather than because of them. Like Baldurs Gate 2!

Eh, the random deaths aren't that common, not since Nocturne or maybe SMT2. In Strange Journey I'm doing fine even with the enemy avoiding app, and talking out of most of my fights

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SJ is so far taking the crown for the most messed up game in the series.

It's just plain bleak. It makes Devil Survivor look like DemiKids.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm seriously considering buying the Strange Journey OST, because the one Atlus gave us is borderline pathetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIc_lBL4EZw&feature=related

^Best dungeon theme so far, IMO.

I shouldn't hate on a free OST, but I can't think of why they gave out a ~20 minute OST when they could've easily made it twice that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There's a bit too much music reuse as you go further on in the game. Much better than Devil Survivor of course but still a little disappointing.

The OST itself features 31 tracks coming to just a little over an hour of length. As a free OST it doesn't do that badly.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That reminds me. Devil Survivor's art was far from good, but at least the guy did a variety of artwork and character expressions.

[strike]Meguro[/strike] Kaneko only did, what, seven character portraits for SJ? And they never change.

Granted, Mastema alone looks cooler than almost anyone from DS.
    (And if I'm not mistaken, he's wearing a Japanese bridal gown!?)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That reminds me. Devil Survivor's art was far from good, but at least the guy did a variety of artwork and character expressions.

Meguro only did, what, seven character portraits for SJ? And they never change.

Granted, Mastema alone looks cooler than almost anyone from DS.
    (And if I'm not mistaken, he's wearing a Japanese bridal gown!?)

Kaneko you mean?

I do agree some variation in portraits would of been nice. There are a fair amount of new demon designs which makes up for things.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Also Shadow Kanji is a bastard of a boss fight. That was a hell of a grind.

captaink on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have good news for you, then.

The rest of the game is pathetically easy!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So... Ouroboros...
    Second round Ouroboros is one hell of a fight. Disaster Cycle destroyed my team. Put my healer, Sarasvati, to sleep and charmed my main character (who promptly butchered the rest of my team. 52 Strength = lots of one hit kills). I regained control in time to just barely salvage the situation with extravagant use of summoning stones, but it was rough.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So... Ouroboros...
    Second round Ouroboros is one hell of a fight. Disaster Cycle destroyed my team. Put my healer, Sarasvati, to sleep and charmed my main character (who promptly butchered the rest of my team. 52 Strength = lots of one hit kills). I regained control in time to just barely salvage the situation with extravagant use of summoning stones, but it was rough.

The sad thing about this fight is that my MC basically solo this fight (he kept instant killing my demons, so I was like 'Fuck it' and blitz his weakness). The massive amount of exp I gotten from this fight made my MC a bit broken in the next section. I'm able to fuse demons that's like 10 levels above the average and I basically just auto fight everything.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have good news for you, then.

The rest of the game is pathetically easy!

I don't remember the tipping point in P3 being so early. Dang.

captaink on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why is it that the sRPG spinoff has the best narrative in terms of giving us choices that a sane person would actually choose?

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    YggiDee wrote: »
    But I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get a fusion accident at the most inconvenient time possible.
    Don't worry. The Fracastoro Sub App eliminates the possibility of fusion accidents. And its size is 0 you can have it equipped all the time.

Unless you want fusion accidents to happen from time to time, of course.

WotanAnubis on
This discussion has been closed.