As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mothergoosin [Chats]

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, pouring rain all day today, and it will probably rain again tomorrow.

<3

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    the real complaint being that it should also support flash.

but honestly, flash is a horrible platform at this point

so? If something doesn't have flash it limits alot of things.

It really does. That's why some people are happy that the iPad doesn't have it, but supports HTML5 and CSS3, hoping that will push the web past Flash.

But it probably won't, and iPad users are just gonna get fucked in the end.

Edit: Which is fine, because fuck Apple, as far as I'm concerned.

I think you're completely wrong. Already we're dismissing flash out of hand for new projects because we'd have to do work over to hit the largest segment of mobile web users.

Flash is the next Real Player

*shrug* I may be wrong, and I kinda hope I am all thing considered. We'll just have to see, really.

Edit: And class! For 5 periods >.<

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It rained while I rode my bike today. And the wind was blowing straight in to me.

Then by a miracle of weather the wind reversed direction in time for my return trip.

Quid on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If Safari didn't sandbox plugins, I would have had 2 or 3 browser crashes just trying to make this post.

Adobe, you had your shot. You shipped a broken product to Steve Jobs's platform for 6 years. You have been the NUMBER ONE cause of crashes on the Mac OS X operating system since they started keeping track of reports.

Enjoy your bed.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cokebotle, do you ever regret not being Cokebottle?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MrMister wrote: »

This is the funniest thing I have seen in ages and I am going to make you appreciate it.

Philosophy bears with funny accents!

MrMister on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Holy shit

Nocturne on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't believe how good the Venture Bros. is.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    seriously, e-mail mcarthy this

"Hi, me and my friend were discussing why you don't use quotations marks and apostrophes.

My friend thinks it’s a matter of visual aesthetic. He is controlling the visual impact of the text as the reader takes it in with their eyes, as a whole, behind and beneath the specific line or phrase they’re reading at any given moment. This is intriguing to me because authors, in our contemporary publishing context, don’t generally have any control at all over the visual aesthetic of their writing. Maybe they have some control over the formatting of the text on the page, but maybe not; often they have no control over the pagination and the text falls where it may, differing from edition to edition, from pocketbook to paperback to hardcover to trade. They don’t get to decide, necessarily, what’s on the cover; they don’t get to choose the font, or the means by which chapters are indicated. Sometimes they do, I’m sure; sometimes the author might get to make those decisions. But by and large, publishers and their marketing staff make them, and that’s why there is a picture of Viggo Mortensen marring the cover of my edition of The Road. Is McCarthy reclaiming some control over the visual impact of his book? Maybe, but that’s an ancillary concern. I think that he is more concerned – or at least, I am – with the effect of the textual aesthetic. The Road, like his other novels, is bleak. In particular, it is stark, dreary, a horrible terminal monotony of barely-surviving. The characters of the novel are nameless; in fact, capital letters are avoided as well, and there are only two proper nouns in the entire book: Coke, and Rock City. McCarthy is flattening the visual aspect of the text, turning every sentence into a string of letters, turning the page into the bleak monotony of the road and the experience of his characters. He’s making you see in the text – not in the words, but in the shape of the text itself – the very nature of The Road and its narrative. “Flattening out” is definitely the term I like. When you look at those blocks of text, without defining features or distinguishing characteristics or vertical variety, they begin to blend together, to lose their identity, to descend into a formless mass. This is what happens to the people in The Road. They are nameless, desperate, barely there both physically and mentally, their individuality flattened and subordinate to their one shared need, which is survival. The people in the novel are largely identical, for the most part; they are desperate survivors. They are no different from each other than one animal is different from another animal of the same species, to us. They are just featureless paragraphs on a page. This is the nature of McCarthy’s distortion of language and style in The Road. But let’s get back to Blood Meridian. Blood Meridian has plenty of capital letters. I would wager it has less than most novels by a large margin, but it’s got city names and names of men by the handful. There is certainly room for investigation there, but I’d like to focus on the absence of quotation marks, and what it means herein. So we have to ask ourselves: what do quotation marks do? People will often respond, “Well, they tell you who’s speaking.” But they don’t, not directly. In fact, a long chain of dialogue sentences with no narrative connection to the speakers often becomes confusing if only marked by quotation marks, and you may find yourself counting sentences to see who spoke which. What quotation marks really do is tell you that speech is occuring. They don’t tell you who’s speaking; that tell you that someone is speaking at all. They delineate speech from narrative; they set off dialogue from the rest of the text. Inevitably this has an effect on us as readers. It removes speech from the narrative flow; it differentiates it. I would say it elevates it and places it above the rest of the text – that is, the description, the narrative. That text is the world. For the reader, it is the phenomenal experience of the fictional reality in question, and in this context I mean “phenomenal” in the philosophical sense. The fictional reality only exists insofar as it is described in the text. But speech and dialogue are made separate; when set apart by quotation marks, they seem to represent a layer of reality that is distinct from the surrounding text. It puts me in mind of theatre performance and scripts for plays – in a play, the dialogue forms the fabric of reality, and the set is usually just a gesture, a suggestion of a reality, serving to frame the speech that takes place. There is a whole lot of structural and poststructural talk about language being privileged and set apart. Most notably, Derrida tears apart a number of texts which elevate speech. But that might be too smart for me. All I can see is that flattening-out happening again, like I described above, only in a different and more subtle way. McCarthy, in Blood Meridian and his other novels as well, does not use quotation marks because he is not separating speech from the rest of that phenomenal fiction-reality. We are told in high school that when we write dialogue, we use quotation marks, and when we write descriptions of “what people said,” we do not, i.e., he said “I am hungry,” and he said that he was hungry. When McCarthy writes dialogue, it is not dialogue per se, as distinguished from the rest of the narrative; it is simply another description of events and entities involved in those events. Notice that dialogue has a specific name and clear definition, while that-which-is-not-dialogue is a little less specific; “narrative” and “description” are vague and nebulous terms, and the former could well include dialogue. But yes, McCarthy is not privileging language or specifically speech. He is making it into another event taking place, another interaction between entities. What is the consequence of this flattening-out, of this compressing language into the rest of the text, the erasure of the binary? To know this, we would have to investigate what is said, along with how it is framed (or how it is not framed). I don’t intend to go into such depth at this late hour, because I have to work in the morning. But I have a tentative conclusion: McCarthy is undermining the power of language. He is undermining the capacity for humans to inspect, disassemble, compartmentalize, analyze and comprehend reality, which we do almost exclusively through language, in speech and writing and thought. The speech that occurs is terse, short, full of unsaid meanings and subtexts, and it is so often written to be frustrated, as though the character cannot express their perceptions, or their thoughts, or their meaning, or any meaning at all. They are attempting to use language to engage the world, and it ultimately fails. McCarthy’s beautifully written evocative narrative can’t help but inhabit their thoughts, expressing them to some degree, and the divide between their speech and their thought yawns wide and swallows up their attempts to communicate and interact and engage. Because of this, it behooves us to be suspicious of any character whose use of language is elegant and descriptive and full of meaning, like the judge; is the meaning behind the judge’s cryptic, biblical speech itself suspect, or does its truth betray his nature as inhuman – an allegory, or a thematic spirit, or perhaps the devil himself? I am reminded of the generalissimo in Faulkner’s A Fable, who spoke in proper syntax with excellent usage in a novel where sentences were so twisted up and drawn out as to be incomprehensible, and who was a terribly evil man who deceived and lied and twisted the truth. It really seems like a critique of logocentrism, as I understand that term (and mine is a limited understanding, to be sure), which I find fascinating, and I wonder if McCarthy has read Derrida. I would bet that he has, and I would furthermore bet that he understood far, far better than I did.

I think it's because the apostrophe and quotation mark keys are badly placed on your typewriter. Which one of us is right?"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

This is the funniest thing I have seen in ages and I am going to make you appreciate it.

I made a video like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNvPigs2ynQ

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It made me giggle, schoolgirl like.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anybody have any opinions on Foucault's History of Sexuality? Poldy recommended it so I got it but I was interested in other opinions.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Seriously, though. Imagine how the conversation will eventually go between companies and web designers.

"Do you want me to make it so your website works on the iPhone, iPad, Droid, etc?"

"Uh, yeah. That sounds like a good idea."

Nocturne on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    the real complaint being that it should also support flash.

but honestly, flash is a horrible platform at this point

so? If something doesn't have flash it limits alot of things.

It really does. That's why some people are happy that the iPad doesn't have it, but supports HTML5 and CSS3, hoping that will push the web past Flash.

But it probably won't, and iPad users are just gonna get fucked in the end.

Edit: Which is fine, because fuck Apple, as far as I'm concerned.

I think you're completely wrong. Already we're dismissing flash out of hand for new projects because we'd have to do work over to hit the largest segment of mobile web users.

Flash is the next Real Player

While the ipad may not hav or get really deep market penetration, the iphone already has

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I believe that is a cause for a duel my friend.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's not just Flash anymore, either. Acrobat Reader has become an insanely bloated piece of near-malware

they've lost the plot

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The next iPhone will have even deeper penetration with built-in high-speed dildonics.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's not just Flash anymore, either. Acrobat Reader has become an insanely bloated piece of near-malware

they've lost the plot

Fucking seriously.

Thank god for alternatives.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Anybody have any opinions on Foucault's History of Sexuality? Poldy recommended it so I got it but I was interested in other opinions.

I love it.

I <3 Foucault. History of Sexuality, Discipline and Punish, and Madness and Civilization are easily my favorite philosophical texts.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bioshock 2 is super exciting

Elendil on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    The next iPhone will have even deeper penetration with built-in high-speed dildonics.

I really regret ever seeing this word.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »

I love it.

I was very hopeful that you would say that. I am excited.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

Drill power! A drill to pierce the heaven you might say.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I enjoyed it, but as I haven't read Heidegger I can't possibly have truly enjoyed it

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

they've lost the plot

It makes me sad that my company is moving from a proprierty pos reader from IBM to acrobat reader, and thats a step up. Got to love the real estate industry.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I giggled at your video, MrMister.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I don't use the drill too much

I haven't gotten around to upgrading it

Elendil on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

they've lost the plot

itt, the truth

desc on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

The harpoon gun was my homeboy, until I had that I didn't know love.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dildonicus, the Greek God of self-pleasure

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Freeze people then hit them with the drill. It is how I killed like half the people in the game.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still haven't played the first Bioshock. I own it. I could be playing it right now.

But for some reason, ehh....

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Okay I am going to read Transmet now so I can finish it and then read these books I got so I can read the other books I got.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    P.S. I hate you Senjutsu and anybody else who made fun of me for not having a big backlog of books because I waited to buy them until I could read them BECAUSE NOW I AM BUYING THEM WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO READ THEM AND THE BACKLOG IS GROWING DICKKKKKS

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Freeze people then hit them with the drill. It is how I killed like half the people in the game.
    doesn't that prevent you from looting their corpse though

I am an obsessive looter

I memorize where some useful corpses are for later

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    P.S. I hate you Senjutsu and anybody else who made fun of me for not having a big backlog of books because I waited to buy them until I could read them BECAUSE NOW I AM BUYING THEM WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO READ THEM AND THE BACKLOG IS GROWING DICKKKKKS

bwahahaha

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I still haven't played the first Bioshock. I own it. I could be playing it right now.

But for some reason, ehh....

Bioshock would have been a pretty great, atmospheric, scary game if it weren't for how every time you die you are instantaneously resurrected at a convenient nearby point with virtually no penalty.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dildonicus, the Greek God of self-pleasure

Roman

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have freaking stacks of books on my floor and I haven't even read them yet God damnit.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    guys look at this guy with the book backlog

he makes unwise book purchases

everyone laugh

Elendil on
This discussion has been closed.