Options

Like Comics, Except The Pictures Move: Movies, Games, and Television

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Furu wrote: »

That's really not an impressive clip. It would appear his only power isto stand perfectly still and just keep trying to fire blasts until Whiplash lets him.

Maybe he can't fly in that armour? I assume that since the whole scene I'm thinking "Okay, if you can't shoot faster than that get out of whip range via flight."

Well I didn't even think of flying, I was thinking more 'move out of the fucking way or swerve or tilt or move at all'. He literally just stands there, tries to fire, gets whipped, tries to fire, gets whipped, tries to fire, fires, misses, tries to fire, misses, gets whipped. If anything he should at least be trying to move the guy with the razor sharp whips away from his two friends in the car behind him.
    Solar wrote: »
    Furu wrote: »

That's really not an impressive clip. It would appear his only power isto stand perfectly still and just keep trying to fire blasts until Whiplash lets him.

I liked it.

Yeah but you like Sentry.
    I kid, I kid, Voidtry is cool

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a minute long clip, and he's not even armored up until like, thirty seconds in.

But the way I read that scene is that Tony's trying to keep himself between Whiplash and his friends, so he's not moving around a lot.

Still, when you look back at the scene in Iron Man 1, where he flies off to fight those terrorists, his method of attack wasn't much different. He just kind of stood in one spot and got shot at while he blasted dudes.

Munch on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would be more inclined to say the whips are seriously fucking with his armour which is why he's barely moving. Repulsor blasts is probably the only thing he can really do.

Warcry on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    They should let Pixar do a Power Pack movie or something.
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Personally, I prefer to think of a Pixar Power Pack movie.

Htown, you are, as I believe TLB would say, my 'dogg'.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Regardless of why he does it, it doesn't make for an interesting clip.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    It's a minute long clip, and he's not even armored up until like, thirty seconds in.

But the way I read that scene is that Tony's trying to keep himself between Whiplash and his friends, so he's not moving around a lot.

Still, when you look back at the scene in Iron Man 1, where he flies off to fight those terrorists, his method of attack wasn't much different. He just kind of stood in one spot and got shot at while he blasted dudes.

Yeah, he's a scientist not a soldier. He has his big badass suit of armour and against Whiplash he's doing what he always does, shoots some repulsors and tries to take the hits, probably thinking (incorrectly) that these whips won't hurt him and then being suprised when they do.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    They whips sliced his car in half. He has a pretty good idea of what they can do at that point, even if you assume Mr. Super-Scientist didn't immediately recognize how the whips worked and how much power they had.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dude, racing cars arn't exactly made out of mega-tough materials, it swent through his car easily but so could a lot of attacks which would bounce off an Iron Suit, such as pretty much any caliber of bullet or shell.

Solar on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    (You guys need to wait and see the movie)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As comic fans we will decide whether the movie is good before we go and see it, thank you very much.

Solar on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At least its not in post-production 3-D.

And frankly I'm amazed Whiplash hasn't accidently sliced off an arm or a leg.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    At least its not in post-production 3-D.

And frankly I'm amazed Whiplash hasn't accidently sliced off an arm or a leg.

Frankly I'm amazed that a single repulsor blast to Whiplash's unarmoured chest doesn't stove in his ribcage, bearing in mind those beams can punch through brick walls.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Htown, you are, as I believe TLB would say, my 'dogg'.
    I think the possibility of Pixar making some Marvel movies is the greatest thing about the Marvel/Disney merger. But from what Quesada's said, it looks like that kind of collaboration is a long way off.

Munch on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm so glad Marvel Studios decided to keep Iron Man 2 out of this whole "3-D" nonsense. The reason Avatar worked so well in 3-D was because James Cameron designed the movie to be 3-D.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm so glad Marvel Studios decided to keep Iron Man 2 out of this whole "3-D" nonsense. The reason Avatar worked so well in 3-D was because James Cameron designed the movie to be 3-D.
    Also because 3D isn't all that amazing. They want it to be the thing that saves movie theaters, the next big deal after talkies, but it isn't. It's still a movie and 3D doesn't make bad movies good, and most theaters are still godawful and expensive.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    besides everyone knows its best to have your third movie be 3d so you can name it TITLE 3-D!

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alright, I found this way too funny.
    Owl Woods

Munch on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    3-D is so stupid. Until you make something work where I don't have to put something on my face to make it work, it's not going to stick. The same with 3D TV, it's all Virtual Boys, streets behind.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh God, munch, thanks for posting that.

And 3D is great, but I'm not sure how I'd feel if it became the norm. I might have trouble watching dramas in 3D if it made watching intimate moments carry a voyeuristic element. I also doubt anyone would jump at the chance to see Precious get molested by her dad in 3D.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Your doubts are wrong

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Did anyone actually see The Losers?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Nope. Not even remotely interested in seeing it.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I would except the nearest cinema is hours away.

Warcry on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Man Kick-Ass only did 3 mil. What a bitch, it deserves better than the fucking back-up Plan.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone who hasn't seen The Losers is a chump

It is a serious contender for my raddest movies of 2010 list

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'll probably catch a matinee, when my local cinema gives out free popcorn.

It looks like a pretty run of the mill action film that bears a passing resemblance to a comic I like, so my interest isn't particularly high. If I didn't like Jeffrey Dean Morgan's acting, I probably wouldn't bother with it at all.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hey, I just watched GI Joe and I thought it was pretty rad. I was never into GI Joe as a kid but it had Snake Eyes (who I am aware of) kicking ass, fun actions scenes, crazy tech, submarine combat, Sienna Miller and Rachel Nichols in black leather, and an underwater doomfortress at the north pole.

Which more films could do with, if I'm honest.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Munch I am telling you you will love The Losers because the cast has so much damn chemistry you won't not be able to have fun

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I just couldn't tell what the plot of the Losers was from the trailers. There was none that I could see, just seemed generic action film-ish. Nothing even spoke "comic-book-ish" to me.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I just couldn't tell what the plot of the Losers was from the trailers. There was none that I could see, just seemed generic action film-ish. Nothing even spoke "comic-book-ish" to me.

well, if it's at all like the comic, then the losers are a black-ops military squad who see something they shouldn't and the US government essentially declares war on them.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    the plot of the movie is that The Losers see something that they shouldn't have committed by a higher-up crazy in the CIA who orders them killed and frames them for his crime. They fake their deaths and with the help of a mysterious latin lady, get back to the United States to get revenge/clear their names.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    tlb, you've read the comic, right?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So...this is basically the A-Team...?

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it's basically the a-team except they're really good at killing people.

and none of them are afraid of flying.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    No offense...but that setup has been done to death....

Should I start ticking off the movies that use the same setup? I bet I could use JCVD as the first several examples (or if you're insisting on a team mechanic, I call 'Mission Impossible' 1 through 3).

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I read the first volume of the comic and thought that none of the characters had distinctive personalities. That one guy, Cougar, could have been summed up as "silent badass in a cowboy hat". Beyond that there's soft family man, snarky tech guy, femme fatale, stalwart leader, and
    CURSE YOUR SUDDEN BUT INEVITABLE BETRAYAL
    . I'm sure the series improves over time, but the movie is unfortunately based on the first arc.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How far through the story does the movie go?

Cause I thought The Losers kind of fell apart at the end.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well the story doesn't end by the end of the movie

And hell yes I read the comic servo

And cshadow you just don't like good things, it's okay

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    here's the thing- yes, the "team of badasses" story is basically its own action sub-genre. the losers comic is that, done really well. it's like an A-grade b-action movie, if that makes sense.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    in fact I am looking forward to the greatest team of badasses movies to ever be made to come out in August!

You might have heard of it.

It's called The Expendables

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
This discussion has been closed.