As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Now for Mac - Launch with 63 Games

• Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The new UI has bitchin' Windows 7 jumplist support, which makes it 527 times better. Pin that sucka onto the taskbar and go to down with that bitch.

+a billion

I love the new UI. I only got to use the full version last night on my laptop, and it seemed like the grid view long load time issue was fixed.

Excited to play $2.50 Manhunt, too. If Bully goes on sale I'll probably spring for that too, though I don't remember what the consensus was on that game.

Michael H on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dis wrote: »
    Hate the new UI.
    I like the old UI so much better.

Any rational reasons for that?
    Because it's functionally superior in every possible way.

Edit: The new UI also has windows snap now, guys. So good. And the new web rendering engine is so. much. better.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My only complaint is the lack of an option to put custom icons in for shortcuts on the otherwise beautiful "HUGE ICON" view. I use a lot of shortcuts, so it looks really, really ugly.

Darlan on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Steam had jumplist support before the UI upgrade. Having Snap is neat, although I'll never use it. I just have friends docked in the corner like my instant messenger and rarely use the big window.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really missed snap before they added it when the new UI was in beta.

I'm sure I head that the PC port of bully was at least as bad as the GTA port. Anyone played it?

LewieP on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Roshin wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    No one mentioning the manhunt 2 hour sale, even 3/4 of the way into it?

"Yeah, Manhunt 2, bitches! Obscenely violent and controversial sequel to the original Manhunt, which itself was very controversial to begin with. We'll release it exclusively on the Wii! I mean, how can that possibly fail? Sure, our customers are mostly on the PC, 360, and PS3 and we'll attract a ton of negative attention by doing this, but what the fuck, we're crazy like that!"

The people who greenlighted that move should be fired, dragged out on the street, and kneecapped.

It was released on the PS2 and the Wii though - like many games in that transitional period, they had a PS2 version planned and did a simultaneous up-port to the Wii. I'd guess that this was either because they didn't think the game justified the substantially larger 'next gen' budget and they could save costs by using the first game's engine again, or because they'd begun the project early enough for a next-gen version to not be on the cards.

If stupidity was involved, it was possibly in baiting the BBFC and other groups to the extent that the game was functionally unreleasable throughout the world. Or indeed on the part of the censors for being able to limit what can appear in an 18-rated game.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Rockstar pack is so tempting. However I still have a bunch of games that I have never played, a few I've never even loaded, and many more I need to complete. It would be nice to not have to dig for my Max Payne discs whenever I want to play them, and also to have all that GTA goodness on my PC. Ugh. It's so evil, sitting there, asking me to spend ~40 bucks.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I posted a list of tips and lesser known features of the new UI here:
    http://www.ddgamer.com/2010/4/27/steam-s-new-ui-tips-and-tricks/

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Note that some of those Rockstar games do not support Windows 7. At least it has a note it doesn't...

Notice: This game does not support Windows 7.

Hawk on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Suds wrote: »

So... how many games can there realistically be under your Parkour category?

The only thing I didn't like about the categories is that you can only fit games in one place. I would like to have my games better categorized, even if it meant some redundancy.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bought me a shiny new Rockstar pack. Here's hoping THQ week's next.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drovek wrote: »

The only thing I didn't like about the categories is that you can only fit games in one place. I would like to have my games better categorized, even if it meant some redundancy.

This also surprised me. I had to pigeonhole things into various categories.

I've got five or six games in an "Indie" category. But that doesn't really describe what they're about.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Steam's customer support. Couldn't download a game due to regional conflicts, what with living in Uganda but having a Canadian VISA card number. One email and 2 hours later and WHABAM it is in my account. Love it.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Suds has a lot of games.

At a guess the PoP games would be under there, plus Mirror's Edge. That's four (five if you count the latest PoP). Not sure what the others would be.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    AC and tomb raider too

I asked him the same thing a while ago

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The new UI is kinda annoying because I have well over 100 games and it won't let me put installed games on top of list but in between everything else.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This Windows 7 incompatibility thing is depressing.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Suds has a lot of games.

At a guess the PoP games would be under there, plus Mirror's Edge. That's four (five if you count the latest PoP). Not sure what the others would be.

Mirror's Edge was basically the only one I could think of. Didn't quite think of PoP, but it would fit.

And yeah, the rest?

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Manhunt's worth $2.50 or whatever, but not too much more. It's a surprisingly good experience, but a terrible game. Basic, functional graphics, no depth, hysterically bad physics and some of the worst stealth gameplay I've ever come across, with AI that'll chase you half way across the level then give up and turn around at set points for no reason at all, safe zones that might as well be highlighted in giant neon stripes along the ground (enemies literally staring you directly in the face from just outside shadows that barely deserve the name and still not seeing you)... and oddly enough given I'm not usually a gorehound, I actually thought it could have been far more violent. Beat it, liked it a lot more than I expected to, but it was still a huge letdown. I was astonished how anyone managed to make the sequel so much worse.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just want San Andreas and the GTA IV episodes. Gimme a sale, Steam!

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Suds has a lot of games.

Mirror's Edge was basically the only one I could think of. Didn't quite think of PoP, but it would fit.

And yeah, the rest?

3 PoP Games, Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge and 3 Tomb Raider games (I know you don't flow as much but it's a lot more platforming than fighting)

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    The new UI is kinda annoying because I have well over 100 games and it won't let me put installed games on top of list but in between everything else.

That's not correct. click the "status" column header. Just like before.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lol at "Petz Catz 2" in your Horror section.

EDIT: lol at the amusing choice of section, not at your choice of gaming.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to hop on the X3 discount soon, but before I do, what's the difference between X3 Gold and Terran Conflict? I was under the impression that TC has everything from the base X3 already, which would look to make Gold kind of redundant.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »

That's not correct. click the "status" column header. Just like before.

Ooooh, don't I feel the fool now.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    3 hours of GTA IV for $7.50. Good until 1 pm PDT.

Michael H on
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    I'm going to hop on the X3 discount soon, but before I do, what's the difference between X3 Gold and Terran Conflict? I was under the impression that TC has everything from the base X3 already, which would look to make Gold kind of redundant.
    Gold comes with X3:reunion and the soundtrack. The soundtrack is only about 12 minutes worth of music though. So unless you really want to play through the story of reunion you might as well get TC. But then on the other hand if you get the package X3:reunion is only $5.

Edit: Was finally able to find where the soundtrack was placed. You get around a half hour worth of music. But it's pretty much just ambient music, so it may not fit your tastes.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is the X3 discount a midweek thing or what? Just want to know how long it'll last.

Thinking about TC because I have a good enough machine now and damn, it sounds like my kind of space empire, space piracy kind of thing.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    X^3 seems like my kind of game. The wikipedia article has reference tables. That sort of thing really peels my potato. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3_Reunion

Michael H on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Redlance wrote: »
    Edit: Was finally able to find where the soundtrack was placed. You get around a half hour worth of music. But it's pretty much just ambient music, so it may not fit your tastes.

In addition to this if you just dig through the install folder, you'll eventually find that the soundtrack is stored in mp3 format anyways. Most of it isn't labeled with anything more than a few numbers though.

x3ost.th.jpg

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    X^3 seems like my kind of game. The wikipedia article has reference tables. That sort of thing really peels my potato. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3_Reunion

Hmmm, I had no idea this was a space sim. For some reason I thought X to the 3 was an adventure/survival horror game.

Weird.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So is the story of Reunion worth getting it for?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gold comes with X3:reunion and the soundtrack. The soundtrack is only about 12 minutes worth of music though. So unless you really want to play through the story of reunion you might as well get TC. But then on the other hand if you get the package X3:reunion is only $5.

But doesn't X3 Gold include both Reunion and TC? It looks like that to me, anyway.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Michael H wrote: »

Hmmm, I had no idea this was a space sim. For some reason I thought X to the 3 was an adventure/survival horror game.

Weird.

Survival Horror would be sqrt(X) which of course places the condition that X > 0.

Michael H on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GTA IV for $7.50 U.S., sold. I was reticent to get it on D2D.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Roshin wrote: »

But doesn't X3 Gold include both Reunion and TC? It looks like that to me, anyway.
    Yes, I was merely stating what else it comes with:P. The plots for the X games aren't that great. Think of it like the plot from Morrowind. It's their but you don't feel a great need to do it, nor will you have a feeling of satisfaction finishing it. Instead fly off being a pirate, trader, or whatever else you want to be. Also their is a horrid rail shooter segment in reunion that's the...second plot mission in or close to it.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GTA 4 at that price seems like a pretty good deal, but I'm not sure that I'd actually play it. It's just not something I've ever been excited about.

Peewi on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Cool beans, hadn't noticed I could pin games to the jump list.

Alegis on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know what The Whispered World is, but it was just put on Steam and the pricing on it is bullshit. Disregarding the 10% discount it's $29.99 for USA, but €39.99 for Europe.

Peewi on