As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] For The Ages

• Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Also question- Can someone tell me what is going on with some new bill about puerto rico right now? I really don't understand the fuss, and theres not much talk about it.

It gives Puerto Rico the option to vote to change their status. They currently are a commonwealth rather then a state. Puerto Rico has the option to do this anyway and has in the past voted down statehood. But with Washington behind it, it could be seen as a boost for those in Puerto Rico who are pushing for statehood. The Republicans are pissed because Puerto Rico would most likely vote Dem and that would give the Democrats two more senate seats.

Hmmmmm

51 states would be cool I guess?

Nah, we'll just have some of those silly little county sized ones up north merge. They can keep symbolic senators as a recognition of their historic status.

Galahad on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Yo Ry, I don't want to derail the Arizona thread but on the topic of Mexican being a race...

It's not really. It's a nationality. It's no different than me being Italian, but my race is Caucasion. In this case, a Mexican's race is Hispanic.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I promise that I'm not going to start shit in [chat], but I'm genuinely non-trollishly curious. I'm totally against this Arizona law, but what do people think of illegal immigration in general ie: what is the proper recourse for coming to this country illegally?

I, myself, have struggled with that for a good long time.

Making it legal.

naturalization? is that a possibility?

We usually call it "amnesty."

It's generally considered to be a far-left-wing idea and is not seriously on the table.

The UK Murdoch-owned press is having a shitfit at the moment over Clegg suggesting it.

What he actually suggested was that since there are a good few hundred thousand people who are in the country illegally and nobody knows who they are or how to find them, it might be a good idea to have a process to naturalise them as a one-off thing since they've obviously managed to integrate, intend to stay, and they might as well be paying taxes.

I agree with David.

Wait, what?

Seriously though, I do agree with Nick and Japan

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    So I live in an area that, more or less, makes up a large part of the hispanic population in my county. The police have, for the past year or two, been running DUI check points more or less weekly. Now, in theory, I support DUI checkpoints, 'cause fuck drinking and driving.

However, in a given night, they'll maybe arrest two or three people for DUIs, but impound about 30 cars or so from people driving without licenses, auctioning the cars to raise money for operations or whatever.

And I don't really know how I feel about it. On one hand, driving without a licenses - and more importantly, without car insurance - is a big problem, obviously. I know friends who've been in accidents with unlicensed, uninsured folks, and it's a considerable hassle.

On the other hand, it's pretty obvious they're placing these checkpoints conspicuously in the hispanic community. You're far more likely to see them around where the day laborers live than in the areas with multi-million dollar houses.

See that's where my brain is like SHIT! Because driving unlicensed and uninsured is awful, as is drunk driving. I can see where it could be considered profiling, but it could also be a result of "fishing where there are fish" and unlike the papers law, if you don't want to get hit by this one, don't break the actual laws they are enforcing here.

If you're driving unlicensed and uninsured I will cry no tears as the cops ram their nightsticks repeatedly up your ass. I will cheer.

So fuck 'em. And if they catch more in the hispanic communities than around the multi-million dollar houses well then that's just how it is.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I have my passport and green card handy

I will not be visiting Arizona anytime soon.

I need to renew my passport. Last time I traveled overseas, I was 16, so it has since expired. I don't have any trips planned, but Canada requires a passport now, which is pretty lame all around. We used to be tight, Canada. What happened?

No, you guys required passports, and we had to follow suit.

James on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Would Puerto Rico be the most impoverished state?

Probably. You ever been there? Unless you're at a resort, it looks like Haiti post earthquake.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Galahad wrote: »
    So wait what do you guys think of this???

America May be Moving to give Puerto Rico Statehood

About frickin' time.

They've always had the option. They've voted it down several times.

Yeah. I know. I remember it being a real close thing back in the mid 90's somewhere.

Galahad on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Would Puerto Rico be the most impoverished state?

Only because the Border towns here in Texas aren't a separate state.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    My MW4: Mercs download has ground to a halt.

download? is it on steam or something?

no, it's free now

mektek finally fought their way through legal hell

what? seriously?

James on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    apparently i are being audited?

hmm

that sounds scary!

i never lied on my taxes or anything?... but i don't exactly keep good records

this is scary :(

It's most likely a random audit. I'm assuming you file a 1040 EZ or have fairly simple taxes? If so, I wouldn't be too scared.

yeah

i've always done the standard deduction

the past couple of years i have filed dependents, also (a couple of years ago when i was living with my little brother, and then my sister)

i certainly never kept receipts of buying my brother's school stuff or paying for haircuts and clothes or all the other expenses i covered

i presume that is what this is about, a young guy claiming two different people two different years

Organichu on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mexican isn't a race. It's an ethnicity. For most of American history, Mexicans were considered white.

The entire American idea of Latino as a ethnicity is pretty damn silly. Central and South Americans can have virtually any complexion or physical appearance. In plenty of their countries race is a major internal issue on it's own. Hell Brazil arguably has more fucked up racial issues than the US.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't decide what's more embarassing about last night. Is it the part where I got stoned, threw around a bunch of weeaboo stuff, and flaunted around my submissive proclivities?

Or is it the part where I got stoned AFTER the other parts.

The pictures in my mail box were rather pretty....

Did you like the ribbon? <3

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

hmm

that sounds scary!

It's most likely a random audit. I'm assuming you file a 1040 EZ or have fairly simple taxes? If so, I wouldn't be too scared.

yeah

the past couple of years i have filed dependents, also (a couple of years ago when i was living with my little brother, and then my sister)

i certainly never kept receipts of buying my brother's school stuff or paying for haircuts and clothes or all the other expenses i covered

i presume that is what this is about, a young guy claiming two different people two different years

Could be. Get some documentation. The thing about audits is that unless they really think you're committing fraud, they don't generally push that hard. The IRS is often more friendly then people expect.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't decide what's more embarassing about last night. Is it the part where I got stoned, threw around a bunch of weeaboo stuff, and flaunted around my submissive proclivities?

I feel left out :(

(the fun stuff always happens when it's sleepy time over here...)

BobCesca on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mexican isn't a race. It's an ethnicity. For most of American history, Mexicans were considered white.

Or black, or red, depending.

He is technically correct. On this year's census it deliberately described hispanic as "not a race"

But dear god is he wrong.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »

I feel left out :(

It's okay, Bob. I don't really look like David Tennant.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The entire American idea of Latino as a ethnicity is pretty damn silly. Central and South Americans can have virtually any complexion or physical appearance. In plenty of their countries race is a major internal issue on it's own. Hell Brazil arguably has more fucked up racial issues than the US.

That's just the Portugese fucked their women and made some half breeds.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I have my passport and green card handy

I will not be visiting Arizona anytime soon.

I need to renew my passport. Last time I traveled overseas, I was 16, so it has since expired. I don't have any trips planned, but Canada requires a passport now, which is pretty lame all around. We used to be tight, Canada. What happened?

No, you guys required passports, and we had to follow suit.

Well, if you guys had just started hassling brown people at the airports like we asked, we could have kept things open. But you guys didn't want to play ball with our plans to create the illusion of security so we had to find a workaround.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I agree with David.

Wait, what?

Seriously though, I do agree with Nick and Japan

Like I said. Simple, declarative, sentences.

I think what really hurt Clegg in the last debate was that many of the more nuanced Lib Dem policies can be reduced to such sentences in a way that is simultaneously true and a gross misrepresentation.

japan on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010

hmm

that sounds scary!

yeah

Could be. Get some documentation. The thing about audits is that unless they really think you're committing fraud, they don't generally push that hard. The IRS is often more friendly then people expect.

ANTISEMITIC CONSPIRACY

okay

i will see what i can do and i will not freak out

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It was a nice touch. :winky:

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mmmmm breakfast.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm fine with it, but so many flags will have to change. I suggest quickly finding 3 or 4 additional states so we can keep the design similar.

:lol:

guam

the middle east

canada

DONE

No, no, we take Canada province by province. That way we have the option to pass on the Quebecois and the Newfies.

Galahad on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    So I live in an area that, more or less, makes up a large part of the hispanic population in my county. The police have, for the past year or two, been running DUI check points more or less weekly. Now, in theory, I support DUI checkpoints, 'cause fuck drinking and driving.

However, in a given night, they'll maybe arrest two or three people for DUIs, but impound about 30 cars or so from people driving without licenses, auctioning the cars to raise money for operations or whatever.

And I don't really know how I feel about it. On one hand, driving without a licenses - and more importantly, without car insurance - is a big problem, obviously. I know friends who've been in accidents with unlicensed, uninsured folks, and it's a considerable hassle.

On the other hand, it's pretty obvious they're placing these checkpoints conspicuously in the hispanic community. You're far more likely to see them around where the day laborers live than in the areas with multi-million dollar houses.

See that's where my brain is like SHIT! Because driving unlicensed and uninsured is awful, as is drunk driving. I can see where it could be considered profiling, but it could also be a result of "fishing where there are fish" and unlike the papers law, if you don't want to get hit by this one, don't break the actual laws they are enforcing here.

If you're driving unlicensed and uninsured I will cry no tears as the cops ram their nightsticks repeatedly up your ass. I will cheer.

So fuck 'em. And if they catch more in the hispanic communities than around the multi-million dollar houses well then that's just how it is.
    The problem, at least around here, is that they comprise a substantial sector of the workforce. And the checkpoints and impound/auction isn't - at least in my mind - going to stop these folks from driving. It's entirely a financially motivated system. The county won't come right out and say it, but it's pretty obvious. But again, I'm torn on it really.

But it's definitely not as fucked up as it was when ICE was doing raids last year.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For a while, Canada didn't require passports, while the US did, which led to difficult circumstances of Americans entering Canada without a passport (as it has been for basically ever until NIGH-AH-LEVEN) and not being able to go back to their home country because the US border would require a passport to be let back in.

So, now Canada is like "ugh now you need a passport to get here too"

Pony on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm fine with it, but so many flags will have to change. I suggest quickly finding 3 or 4 additional states so we can keep the design similar.

:lol:

guam

the middle east

canada

DONE

No, no, we take Canada province by province. That way we have the option to pass on the Quebecois and the Newfies.

Have you been reading my secret gub'ment plans for N. America?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Do we buy Canada or take it by force?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    For a while, Canada didn't require passports, while the US did, which led to difficult circumstances of Americans entering Canada without a passport (as it has been for basically ever until NIGH-AH-LEVEN) and not being able to go back to their home country because the US border would require a passport to be let back in.

Plus illegals

They probably cross the border from Canada too.

Malkor on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    actually i take it back i don't want canada and their socialist communist nazi medicine

Arch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That's just the Portugese fucked their women and made some half breeds.

there's also decedents of African slaves in addition to the native population. and every mixture of all three.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm bored and lonely. Entertain me.

Winky on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    actually i take it back i don't want canada and their socialist communist nazi medicine

That's good. Otherwise I'd be forced to throw you into the river.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

:(

1 Canadian Moose Buck is worth nineyty-nine freedom-cents.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Isn't Newfoundland like Canada's texas?

do we really need that?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You guys just want our oil and democrat votes.

James on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »

Been there. Done this. Ugh.

Galahad on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys just want our oil and democrat votes.

Canada has oil?

Do you grind up the moose or something?

yes i know a lot of american oil comes from canada

Arch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

:(

1 Canadian Moose Buck is worth nineyty-nine freedom-cents.

Soooooo... force? Of course the 432nd mounted moose division is gonna be tough to take down.

This discussion has been closed.