As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PATV - Drugs

1234568»

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also it can help to write down what you'd like to say / what info you'd like to get beforehand. So if you get anxious or nervous you've got something to fall back on.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fandeathis wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    I've always thought it kinda weird that 3 people with the same condition can take the same medication and end up with 3 completely different effects.

It's because psychology is an imprecise science and we don't actually have a very firm grasp of the brain or it's chemicals. But we seem to know enough to help some people (though we do end up harming others). I find it all kind of frightening, and changed my major from psychology early on in college.

So instead of going into research to try and improve this situation, you completely jumped ship?

I was never interested in research as a career. I wanted to be a psychologist. I felt that I would be unable to perform the job well, given that we don't know enough objective information about the human mind. I wanted to help people, but started tripping out that I might hurt them instead.

So I followed my counselor's advice and did what interested me, Philosophy. After a year of that, I realized there was no way in hell I could ever make any money with that major. I became totally lost with what I wanted to do in my life, dropped out of college, and did a lot of drugs.

Five years later, I am now going back to college. I am going to be an accountant haha.

Fair enough (except for the accountancy thing, ugh :P)

L|ama on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I'll try calling tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get an appointment fairly soon.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ugh. I don't know if it's anxiety or what but I'm having trouble just getting out and doing something. I'm coming up with excuses to not do something (too far, too hot out, I don't want people looking at me)

Maybe I'm just incredibly lazy.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Veretas wrote: »
    Ugh. I don't know if it's anxiety or what but I'm having trouble just getting out and doing something. I'm coming up with excuses to not do something (too far, too hot out, I don't want people looking at me)

I'm...getting this too, actually. Though I suspect it might just be because I really don't want to spend any money of any kind until I move.

But it's like...today I did nothing. Yesterday I did nothing, Sunday I did nothing. Usually I work all the time so I never have the opportunity, but now that I'm not really working that much anymore, I don't have an excuse and I still do nothing.

Javen on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Veretas wrote: »

I'm...getting this too, actually. Though I suspect it might just be because I really don't want to spend any money of any kind until I move.

But it's like...today I did nothing. Yesterday I did nothing, Sunday I did nothing. Usually I work all the time so I never have the opportunity, but now that I'm not really working that much anymore, I don't have an excuse and I still do nothing.

Same! I just got done with a huge project for school and got an extended weekend off. I'm beginning to think I can't function if I'm not doing work.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm pretty well adjusted, or at least I appear to be in my house. Have seen a lot of this behaviour in my mother and sister though, it looks like hard times.

Melding on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to have the problem with phone calls. I would get bad shakes/sweaty palms etc whenever I had to phone someone and couldn't do it without writing a script. I don't get it any more, phones don't bother me now. And I have no idea when it changed and what caused it.

So that was a pretty useless thing to say. I guess the moral is... chin up? Sometimes things actually do magically sort themselves out, even without treatment.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was scared shitless of calling strangers

Then I worked for six months as a telemarketer

I was a terrible salesman, but phones aren't so scary anymore

Ivar on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I worked as a receptionist. It was a demeaning that job that made me hate humanity as whole.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Also it can help to write down what you'd like to say / what info you'd like to get beforehand. So if you get anxious or nervous you've got something to fall back on.

This is a really good idea. I kinda do this so that I don't forget something and have to call again :P

skettios on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've always thought it kinda weird that 3 people with the same condition can take the same medication and end up with 3 completely different effects.

It's because psychology is an imprecise science and we don't actually have a very firm grasp of the brain or it's chemicals. But we seem to know enough to help some people (though we do end up harming others). I find it all kind of frightening, and changed my major from psychology early on in college.

So instead of going into research to try and improve this situation, you completely jumped ship?

I was never interested in research as a career. I wanted to be a psychologist. I felt that I would be unable to perform the job well, given that we don't know enough objective information about the human mind. I wanted to help people, but started tripping out that I might hurt them instead.

So I followed my counselor's advice and did what interested me, Philosophy. After a year of that, I realized there was no way in hell I could ever make any money with that major. I became totally lost with what I wanted to do in my life, dropped out of college, and did a lot of drugs.

Five years later, I am now going back to college. I am going to be an accountant haha.

Fair enough (except for the accountancy thing, ugh :P)

After experiencing a range of money and living situations over the past five years (everything from being homeless to having a sugar mama that was insanely rich), I really have decided that I do better psychologically when I have a fair amount of money and job security available to me. It may be overcompensating to go for one of the best paying and most secure jobs in the world, but it is an amazing security blanket for me. I feel I understand the value of money well and I would like to have a lot of it to use for travelling around the world. I find the most peace in travelling to new places and going on adventures.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I worked as a receptionist. It was a demeaning that job that made me hate humanity as whole.

I did this, and I still hate phones. God, I really don't want to go back to that job after I graduate. I need some place to call me and be like "Hey, we need you to start working at the beginning of June!"

Peccavi on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Being nervous while doing something with strangers seems really is pretty normal to me, anxiety is just a reaction to the stress you feel. I get through it with various confidence building readings. Being nervous gives you the adrenaline you need to perform better at whatever task you want to do. It's known as the yerkes-dodson law.

Jars on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    Being nervous while doing something with strangers seems really is pretty normal to me, anxiety is just a reaction to the stress you feel. I get through it with various confidence building readings. Being nervous gives you the adrenaline you need to perform better at whatever task you want to do. It's known as the yerkes-dodson law.

Oh man, I dropped an arts course yesterday from my iphone while in the class as soon as I found out the entire thing was going to be peer-reviewed. I can't handle that at all. That plus an oral presentation?! Sign me OUT!

I managed to run out of the room with all my things just as they told us to introduce ourselves to someone, learn about them and introduce them to the class.

I got out just in time to get a couple lungfuls of fresh air and not vomit.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Oh man, I dropped an arts course yesterday from my iphone while in the class as soon as I found out the entire thing was going to be peer-reviewed. I can't handle that at all. That plus an oral presentation?! Sign me OUT!

I managed to run out of the room with all my things just as they told us to introduce ourselves to someone, learn about them and introduce them to the class.

Holy shit, dude.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

In a poll of U.S. adults, what was the #2 all-time most feared, most dreaded thing:
    Death.

Number 1?
    Public speaking.

Top 5 rounded out with flying, elevators, and snakes, although I can't remember the order. The fact that clowns didn't make the list is simply evidence of their ongoing campaign of deception and horror.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah most people would rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy.

Jars on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the best way to get something started that you're dreading doing is to surprise yourself

just like, the second you think of it, no hesitation start doing it

don't give yourself time to think about it, just start making progress

this is basically my method for anything I dread--mowing the lawn, cleaning up, etc

just oh hey OH GOD I'M DOING IT

it's like hitting myself in the face with a productive pie

Skull Man on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    the best way to get something started that you're dreading doing is to surprise yourself

this is basically my method for anything I dread--mowing the lawn, cleaning up, etc

for some reason this seems to go well with your sig

i was last told this by gabe newell

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've never understood why people are so afraid of public speaking.

It takes every fiber of my being to avoid completely collapsing when introducing myself to someone or having a conversation with a stranger (though I've become a lot better at it recently)

Ever since I was little though I've been able to get on a stage and blabber on and on and on without nerves ever factoring into it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

This works well for me too, it's how I end up going out and meeting people. Once the plans are made the momentum is there and it's way more awkward to have to explain why you didn't show up for something than it is to just go do it.

Ten on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    LaCabra wrote: »

for some reason this seems to go well with your sig

i was last told this by gabe newell

And he stole it from Seinfeld.

Butler on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2010

Everyone should do this. There's no such thing as motivation, there's doing something or not doing it.

Tube on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Everyone should do this. There's no such thing as motivation, there's doing something or not doing it.

Now I'm picturing the Dagobah scenes with Tube standing in for Yoda.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I dunno, I get what Skull Man's saying but in the long term motivation is pretty important. That's what keeps you going with something even when it isn't fun.

Butler on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2010
    Say whatever the fuck you want about George Lucas, "do or do not, there is no try" is one of the wisest things ever said.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

It takes every fiber of my being to avoid completely collapsing when introducing myself to someone or having a conversation with a stranger (though I've become a lot better at it recently)

Ever since I was little though I've been able to get on a stage and blabber on and on and on without nerves ever factoring into it.

I get the same thing. It might be because I know I'm good at public speaking, once I get the initial 10 seconds of nerves down I can rattle off my whole report or whatever without a single verbal tick(which drive my insane since most people have absolutely no public speaking skills). Calling someone about a job opening? oh nooooo I don't want to do that. That's where confidence building comes in.

Jars on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's usually how I get myself to study. If I try to convince myself to do it, I usually don't.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I get the same thing. It might be because I know I'm good at public speaking, once I get the initial 10 seconds of nerves down I can rattle off my whole report or whatever without a single verbal tick(which drive my insane since most people have absolutely no public speaking skills). Calling someone about a job opening? oh nooooo I don't want to do that. That's where confidence building comes in.

Yeah, public speaking isn't too bad. It's just putting on a show. Actual interaction with people, on the other hand...

Peccavi on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Holy shit, dude.

Like given a couple weeks worth of class I'll get comfortable with the new faces around me and come out of my shell, but I'm not looking for the spotlight for even a second on the first day. Spluh, just thinking about. Boo-boojeebies.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I get so mixed when I see stuff like this (sorry for not following the flow of "how do you motivate yourself" the conversation seems to have turned to), this being this episode of PA TV. Spoilered for length:
    I mean, it's great for Mike and Jerry that they just went and got a prescription and poof, everything was better. I'm glad for them. I'm just also super bitter. When I was on drugs over the course of about fifteen, sixteen months, it was never better. I took Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Abilify, Pristiq, Effexor and Xanax over the course of that time, and I'm not even sure I'm remembering them all. Some of them made me break down in tears all the time. Wellbutrin, I remember, made me frighteningly, ragingly angry (and then I spent a week in bed with the zaps because the psychiatrist told me "just stop taking them, there are no withdrawal symptoms"). I didn't always, but I know a lot of times I sort of felt like an unperson. I felt brittle. Sometimes Xanax calmed me down, sometimes it did nothing, sometimes it made me feel really high, and sometimes I dropped off to sleep for a few hours - practically regardless of dose. I was told that this was normal, that it could take six months to a year to find a combination of drugs that was right for me. But it became impossible to compare how I wanted to feel (some elusive thing I hadn't felt in who knows how long), vs. how I was feeling BEFORE I took the drugs, vs. how I was feeling on the drug before that....and they all took about a couple of weeks to kind of kick in, so was I feeling shitty because I was switching over, or because this drug's not working at all, or not working YET, or the dosage is wrong? And during all this time I had shit to do, you know? I have kids.

I'm not on them anymore at all. Stopped in December of '09. For a while it was okay, then for a few months it was bad, now it's okay. I guess overall I feel...less worse. At least I haven't hurt myself for almost a year.

Anyway, I mean, is this something we don't tell people because we don't want to discourage them from getting help? How sometimes excruciatingly difficult it is to find a drug that works, how long it takes? Or maybe it's just me? I don't know.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I get so mixed when I see stuff like this (sorry for not following the flow of "how do you motivate yourself" the conversation seems to have turned to), this being this episode of PA TV. Spoilered for length:
    I mean, it's great for Mike and Jerry that they just went and got a prescription and poof, everything was better. I'm glad for them. I'm just also super bitter. When I was on drugs over the course of about fifteen, sixteen months, it was never better. I took Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Abilify, Pristiq, Effexor and Xanax over the course of that time, and I'm not even sure I'm remembering them all. Some of them made me break down in tears all the time. Wellbutrin, I remember, made me frighteningly, ragingly angry (and then I spent a week in bed with the zaps because the psychiatrist told me "just stop taking them, there are no withdrawal symptoms"). I didn't always, but I know a lot of times I sort of felt like an unperson. I felt brittle. Sometimes Xanax calmed me down, sometimes it did nothing, sometimes it made me feel really high, and sometimes I dropped off to sleep for a few hours - practically regardless of dose. I was told that this was normal, that it could take six months to a year to find a combination of drugs that was right for me. But it became impossible to compare how I wanted to feel (some elusive thing I hadn't felt in who knows how long), vs. how I was feeling BEFORE I took the drugs, vs. how I was feeling on the drug before that....and they all took about a couple of weeks to kind of kick in, so was I feeling shitty because I was switching over, or because this drug's not working at all, or not working YET, or the dosage is wrong? And during all this time I had shit to do, you know? I have kids.

I'm not on them anymore at all. Stopped in December of '09. For a while it was okay, then for a few months it was bad, now it's okay. I guess overall I feel...less worse. At least I haven't hurt myself for almost a year.

Anyway, I mean, is this something we don't tell people because we don't want to discourage them from getting help? How sometimes excruciatingly difficult it is to find a drug that works, how long it takes? Or maybe it's just me? I don't know.

You sound anxious. Here, take these pills.

Ivar on