Options

StarCraft II: Thread of Liberty

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OK!

btw i love using banelings on hydras. I think a lot of zerg players forget they're light armor.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    So yeah, who else flies to the rich nodes as terran?

Cool stuff, yeah?

Shrug. I just win before I need to do that. No one can withstand my single tank rush. Actually, like most stuff, I always forget high yields exist.

edit: played a zerg who had a ton of banelings vs. my marines and some marauders, I led with a siege tank and all the banelings blew up on the tank. It survived at 12 health.

I think he means lifting off right at the start and dropping your starting CC on the highyeild minerals.

It's hilarious, especially if you're 1v1ing on Kulas Ravine.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arkan wrote: »
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    So yeah, who else flies to the rich nodes as terran?

Cool stuff, yeah?

Shrug. I just win before I need to do that. No one can withstand my single tank rush. Actually, like most stuff, I always forget high yields exist.

edit: played a zerg who had a ton of banelings vs. my marines and some marauders, I led with a siege tank and all the banelings blew up on the tank. It survived at 12 health.

I think he means lifting off right at the start and dropping your starting CC on the highyeild minerals.

It's hilarious, especially if you're 1v1ing on Kulas Ravine.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Makes a huge difference. There's one map you can do it on... and completely wall off using the gas, two barracks immediately on both sides of the command center, and two/three supply depots on the outer edges. Then just spam Marine production inside your wall. When playing 2v2, my friend usually just rallies his army to my middle one, creating a pretty good choke-point for the enemies to have to work through.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    have you guys seen this HDStarcraft Mass Queens video

this is hysterical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-nWO5n5zYw

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ha!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    have you guys seen this HDStarcraft Mass Queens video

this is hysterical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-nWO5n5zYw

hahaha, that is such bs. I would have hated to try and deal with that shit.

eddizhere on
    League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't see how that's bs, but it's certainly hilarious

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ahhh good void ray micro is fucking frustrating

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dru talk dirty to me.

Tell me about your void rays.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Posting this goodness that was linked in the G&T thread.
    Multitasking Trainer:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=124983

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

When I say that it's bs, I mean it in the most endearing and loving manner.

eddizhere on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I liked game 2 of TheLittleOne v. WhiteRa in the HDH round of 4. At work so can't find the link and you should watch the entire series. Another example of a lot of queens, but not so crazy as HD's game.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    eddizhere wrote: »

When I say that it's bs, I mean it in the most endearing and loving manner.

ah, fair enough :)

I thought you meant it was "cheap" tactic bs

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not really cheap. Just sooooooo bad. Except for the massive healing. 'cause Queens are terrible vs. ground units, right? But owns air. I only had one shoot down an opposing overlord before. Killed it in a few seconds.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    LordaenLordaen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Queens really aren't that great against anything from what I've seen. I have tried having a couple out at a time to deal with early flyers though and that does seem to buy a little time.

Lordaen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Posting this goodness that was linked in the G&T thread.
    Multitasking Trainer:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=124983

I was so awful even on easy. microing that probe is the worst.

eddizhere on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm guessing that I would be notasenator.notasenator if wanted to play this with any of you.

But that would be unlikely.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I'm guessing that I would be notasenator.notasenator if wanted to play this with any of you.

But that would be unlikely.

added in the unlikely event you deign to play this

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There are already first person shooters being made with the map editor

this game...

edit: with headshot hitboxes even

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    what's a good BO for tvt
    i suck at tvt

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I need to be more aggressive

And remember when my force can win

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I psyche myself out too much

"no three zealots can kill my marines and one marauder"

Oh wait no I'll win that ahhh fuck

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    what's a good BO for tvt
    i suck at tvt

If they are MMM, you should get a few tanks and your own MMM ball. Or you could go a ground force and banshees? Vikings for utility. I've won some TvT games w/ a cloaked force of banshees getting all of their tanks before they can scan. Terrans rarely get Ravens (their only mobile detector).

I think the easiest would be the MMM ball and tanks. You will want to not walk into their tanks and have them walk into yours. How you arrange that is up to you! Medivacs can spy on the cliffs and let your tanks shoot up there or just airlift you into their base and past their wall.

Did this strategy talk help at all or do you want a really specific build order? I find the situation is always different so I talk more in general about unit compositions.

edit to add: terrans aren't really a massing race, I mean you can mass marines/marauders early but those can be countered by just a few tanks in siege mode. Really, marines will absolutely disintegrate in bunches of 6. While I think macro is still important, you'll want to micro each individual fight for maximum success. I've won TvT fights w/ equal forces and come out with 3/4 of my army intact and thanks to scvs/medivacs get all healed up then stomp them as their recovery forces come out 1 by 1.

I know you can always mass ANY unit, but I don't think that's the optimal way to win this matchup.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Woohoo! I finally nabbed #1 in copper! It has been eluding me for the whole week!

My last game before it was against a protoss who tried to cannon rush me. He was nice and seemed genuinely glad that someone smashed his rush into the ground. I'm so glad that I am able to improve in this game so much more easily than in brood war.

eddizhere on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    eddizhere wrote: »
    Woohoo! I finally nabbed #1 in copper! It has been eluding me for the whole week!

My last game before it was against a protoss who tried to cannon rush me. He was nice and seemed genuinely glad that someone smashed his rush into the ground. I'm so glad that I am able to improve in this game so much more easily than in brood war.

you and me both, i'm finally winning consistently!

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Was teamed with a zerg ally as terran last night and we went against two protoss.

He rushed out some zerglings and I rushed out some reapers...that combination is pretty damn strong against protoss as it's difficult for them to defend both their front door and their worker line.

The game actually went on for a short while longer until we both got our speed upgrades and neither protoss could stop us from killing their workers or buildings. Pretty fun.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    anyone up for some 2v2 quickmatch?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ya that advice about not doing anything except macroing an army just made me lose to

mass dark templars
    mass marauders
    and banelings with mass zerglings

And I didn't learn anything because the games were over before I could get to the parts where macroing gets hard

I'm going back to playing terribly in the normal way

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if you lost to mass marauders or mass banelings/zergling i'm pretty sure that just means the other guy had better macro than you, which is really more of an argument to keep practicing as that advice states

but definitely don't follow it if you're not having fun. i don't think that advice is suitable for anyone who is going to care very much when they lose, because it's very much a "sacrifice wins in the short term for improvement over the long term" kind of thing

redhead on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Apparently your macro should have included some detectors and air units.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    does anybody still need a beta key? a she geek fan just sent me two of 'em

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BYToady wrote: »

I was going by
    The most important thing in any economy-drive RTS is macro. Making "a lot of shit" can get you to platinum by itself.

For your next 20 games: Ignore timing. Ignore scouting. Ignore countering what he's doing. Ignore map control. Focus on getting a tight build that maximizes your economy and keep your minerals low at all times. Never miss a MULE calldown. Never miss a production round. Never miss a Supply Depot. Never make any building too late or too early. Never miss making a single SCV. Don't take your gas too early or too late. Then take your monstrous army, attack-move it somewhere, and keep making stuff. Don't even look at your army. Seriously.

Play 20 games like this and post the results. You should see vast improvement. Then you can move on to step 2.

I never got to the "monstrous army" part because 3 DTs killed my whole base when I didn't have scan because I used it all on MULEs

Why would I tech up to detectors or reinforce my wall with bunkers when I'm ignoring what he's doing

I'm just saying, this advice has not really helped me in any way because the games are over too fast for it to teach me anything

I understand that macro is important but this is not really a good way to learn macro in my experience

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Ubik wrote: »

I was going by
    The most important thing in any economy-drive RTS is macro. Making "a lot of shit" can get you to platinum by itself.

For your next 20 games: Ignore timing. Ignore scouting. Ignore countering what he's doing. Ignore map control. Focus on getting a tight build that maximizes your economy and keep your minerals low at all times. Never miss a MULE calldown. Never miss a production round. Never miss a Supply Depot. Never make any building too late or too early. Never miss making a single SCV. Don't take your gas too early or too late. Then take your monstrous army, attack-move it somewhere, and keep making stuff. Don't even look at your army. Seriously.

Play 20 games like this and post the results. You should see vast improvement. Then you can move on to step 2.

I never got to the "monstrous army" part because 3 DTs killed my whole base when I didn't have scan because I used it all on MULEs

Why would I tech up to detectors or reinforce my wall with bunkers when I'm ignoring what he's doing

I'm just saying, this advice has not really helped me in any way because the games are over too fast for it to teach me anything

I understand that macro is important but this is not really a good way to learn macro in my experience

I'm pretty sure the intent was not that you abandon all strategy whatsoever and focus only on macro, but just that you not worry about microing your forces during combat. You still need to build a mix of units and include detectors if you don't want to just get assraped by cloaked units. I mean, that's just fundamental. Superior economy and faster unit production isn't going to help you against cloaked ghosts dropping nukes on your mineral line if you didn't build any detectors.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    does anybody still need a beta key? a she geek fan just sent me two of 'em

Yes please!

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I was going by

I'm pretty sure the intent was not that you abandon all strategy whatsoever and focus only on macro, but just that you not worry about microing your forces during combat. You still need to build a mix of units and include detectors if you don't want to just get assraped by cloaked units. I mean, that's just fundamental. Superior economy and faster unit production isn't going to help you against cloaked ghosts dropping nukes on your mineral line if you didn't build any detectors.

Right

And I was about to get turrets

But I would have had them sooner if I knew he was rushing to DTs and only DTs

Which I can't know if I'm not scouting

So it is not fun being hit by DTs out of nowhere

So I will not be playing in a manner that is not fun

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So is Battle.net shit for anyone else tonight. I have one quick win, one loss, and 3 DC's on the night. Connection issues are a new one for me, but it did storm tonight so it may just be on my end.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so I got face-planted in the first five minutes of a game because I dun fucked up in the first thirty SECONDS of the game

sadface

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I was going by

Right

And I was about to get turrets

But I would have had them sooner if I knew he was rushing to DTs and only DTs

Which I can't know if I'm not scouting

So it is not fun being hit by DTs out of nowhere

So I will not be playing in a manner that is not fun

You need to have both detection and antiair around like, minute 7. Which is like... 5 minutes on faster.

TheStig on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    so I got face-planted in the first five minutes of a game because I dun fucked up in the first thirty SECONDS of the game

sadface

yeah this is the most frustrating part of the game for me. Hopefully it will all be second nature more or less eventually

hurgh

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not really cheap. Just sooooooo bad. Except for the massive healing. 'cause Queens are terrible vs. ground units, right? But owns air. I only had one shoot down an opposing overlord before. Killed it in a few seconds.

Queens are fantastic against ground units provided you can protect them.

They're not super amazing against Terran on account of they can easily get focus-fired

But they have a range of 2 or 3, and against Zealots and Zerglings are just fucking aces.

sarukun on
This discussion has been closed.