As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Chat] With Two Heads

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    You know what the hardest part is, Elldren? When the team DOESN'T have a real identity. When they turn out to be something I've come to call Local Team X- there's really no reason for the team to be there, there's no discernible backstory, the fans are generic and don't do anything unique or particularly spectacular, or just aren't there period, the team's mainly there as the designated opposition in other teams' highlight reels.

A team with a story, those teams are easy no matter how little-known they are. Haitien, they were actually easy. They have a story. They give me something I can say.

Meanwhile, here is what I wrote for Le Mans of France:
    Merged two other clubs in 1985. A couple renamings… screw it. Just stick to the 24-hour car race. Maybe pick them as a project in FIFA or Football Manager. BOOOOO-RIIIIIINNNNNG.

That's the whole thing. Lorient and OGC Nice didn't come off much better.

CS Sergipe?

edit: fioxeded

Okay, see, that's what I'm talking about. I don't even know who that team is but now I know there's a reason you mentioned them.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    This seems kind of weird.

Did I miss the thread on it or is it sort of under the radar. This is what I get for having the economist and PA deliver all my news.

Just to play the devil's advocate

who says just because the public doesn't get to see the evidence means there isn't any?

The Constitution and Due Process.

To my knowledge, that says they can't do what is being attempted here. That doesn't mean the administration doesn't know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this guy is a terrorist. I'm all for the "you can't do this without going to court" part but the "I haven't seen evidence so there isn't any" is foolish, don't you think?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Guys.

Guys.

What's up guys.

hey mike what is the word man?

i am a little drunk but looking for something to do
    man.

MAN.

i would say let's play some Reach but right now i'm having an in depth fucking google chat conversation with ronald fucking jenkees

:^:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Did I miss the thread on it or is it sort of under the radar. This is what I get for having the economist and PA deliver all my news.

who says just because the public doesn't get to see the evidence means there isn't any?

To my knowledge, that says they can't do what is being attempted here. That doesn't mean the administration doesn't know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this guy is a terrorist. I'm all for the "you can't do this without going to court" part but the "I haven't seen evidence so there isn't any" is foolish, don't you think?

Trust, but verify. Do you have any idea how many times the government has pulled clearance/national security &c. just because what happened makes somebody look foolish? Or because their case is so laughably weak? The notion that we should just totally take them at their word is belied by both recorded history and the very notion of justice.

moniker on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's a non-issue.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You know what the hardest part is, Elldren? When the team DOESN'T have a real identity. When they turn out to be something I've come to call Local Team X- there's really no reason for the team to be there, there's no discernible backstory, the fans are generic and don't do anything unique or particularly spectacular, or just aren't there period, the team's mainly there as the designated opposition in other teams' highlight reels.

A team with a story, those teams are easy no matter how little-known they are. Haitien, they were actually easy. They have a story. They give me something I can say.

Meanwhile, here is what I wrote for Le Mans of France:
    Merged two other clubs in 1985. A couple renamings… screw it. Just stick to the 24-hour car race. Maybe pick them as a project in FIFA or Football Manager. BOOOOO-RIIIIIINNNNNG.

That's the whole thing. Lorient and OGC Nice didn't come off much better.

CS Sergipe?

edit: fioxeded

Okay, see, that's what I'm talking about. I don't even know who that team is but now I know there's a reason you mentioned them.

Sport in the US is simply not granular in the manner of the rest of the world.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    So do i get a Zune HD or an Ipod touch?

Fuck I can't decide...I cant decide, Brain anuyruism!

S9

Cinders on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I'm sorry this is still bad devil's advocating. You're putting forth a position that relies on the government to make decisions regarding who lives and who dies with zero public oversight. If you honestly think that is a tenable position, devil's advocate or no, I don't see how this dialog can continue.

In any case I'm making a thread since this is apparently new enough.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll admit I'm totally out of my depth here and politics are not in my scope of understanding, but I'm just curious why a newspaper journalist is assuming there can't be any evidence because he hasn't seen it? That's the way it comes across, at least.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Off to bed, night [chat].

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I'm sorry this is still bad devil's advocating. You're putting forth a position that relies on the government to make decisions regarding who lives and who dies with zero public oversight. If you honestly think that is a tenable position, devil's advocate or no, I don't see how this dialog can continue.

In any case I'm making a thread since this is apparently new enough.

No, that's wrong. I'm only talking about evidence here, not the actual carrying out of the assassination.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Doctor Who was so good last night.

This statement is true whether it was seen in the UK or America.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Guys.

Guys.

What's up guys.

man.

MAN.

i would say let's play some Reach but right now i'm having an in depth fucking google chat conversation with ronald fucking jenkees

:^:
    he's like chatting with me about getting started making songs, where he gets his inspiration from, and oh god alalhgualhglugh i'm dying this is so cool he's my hero

MikeMan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Would you insist due process is invoked every time an enemy combatant is shot at in war?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll admit I'm totally out of my depth here and politics are not in my scope of understanding, but I'm just curious why a newspaper journalist is assuming there can't be any evidence because he hasn't seen it? That's the way it comes across, at least.

If there is such overwhelming and compelling evidence then a trial would be a mere, though still necessary, formality.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    assassination is illegal in any case

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Would you insist due process is invoked every time an enemy combatant is shot at in war?

Summary execution is a war crime.

moniker on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My weekend cutethulhu plans have been dashed by chores in my apartment, lesson planning for school, sc2, and my own laziness.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I wonder when Day9 is going to do the stalker-only build he's been promising. I want to see that.

Wait is Day[9] VH? Because that is all VH played built today.

Hahahahaha. VH is not Day9. Day9 is an extremely talented competitive Starcraft player who does high-level game commentary.

I know who day[9] is. *sigh* Joke didn't go over very well. Would be awesome if VH was day[9].

That joke was about as bad as VH's chances of beating Day9 in a best of five.

Quiet you. Or I feed you to my idra.

indranomnoms.gif

NOM NOM NOM

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

If there is such overwhelming and compelling evidence then a trial would be a mere, though still necessary, formality.

Right, I totally get it. I just don't think we should leap to the conclusion that this guy can't possibly be a terrorist because we personally haven't seen the evidence for ourselves. That's a bit ridiculous. Plenty of murderers go to jail without the evidence going on display at the museum or some such.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

But...

I just bought a commissar hat...

Cinders on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corbius wrote: »
    My weekend cutethulhu plans have been dashed by chores in my apartment, lesson planning for school, sc2, and my own laziness.

Is SC2 mandatory in South Korea?

And as for your laziness, if you don't carry out your plans, I'll tell your contact at the agency to withold your supplies.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Okay?

Is every use of lethal force during combat equivocable to summary execution?

Feral on

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wooah. after running a long D&D game, I still need to finish reading the (painful, terrible) Pathfinder Core Rulebook and make a character for that.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

No, it's not. Google "Star Chamber" to understand why.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corbius wrote: »

Is SC2 mandatory in South Korea?

And as for your laziness, if you don't carry out your plans, I'll tell your contact at the agency to withold your supplies.

Its pretty much required yes.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Okay?

No.

Edit: A good example of summary execution as a war crime would be Allied soldiers carting off SS in their custody to a quiet spot to put a bullet in their head during WWII.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Right, I totally get it. I just don't think we should leap to the conclusion that this guy can't possibly be a terrorist because we personally haven't seen the evidence for ourselves. That's a bit ridiculous. Plenty of murderers go to jail without the evidence going on display at the museum or some such.

No murderer goes to jail without a criminal trial where evidence is provided and he is able to face his accusers in a court of law.

moniker on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Feral are you seriously advocating the enemy combatant line of executive philosophy? Seriously?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I spent like 15 minutes making that God damn thing.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Okay?

Not every, no.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

No murderer goes to jail without a criminal trial where evidence is provided and he is able to face his accusers in a court of law.

that's patently false.

You're thinking of prison.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2010

That isn't what I'm arguing and never has been

I'm talking about this dude in the article. It seems like he's assuming there isn't any evidence because he personally has not been able to look at it. My question is: why does that make the evidence non-existent? I don't think he gets to make the judgement about whether or not this guy is guilty, which he seems to have done.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

that's patently false.

You're thinking of prison.

With Will Arnett?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Feral are you seriously advocating the enemy combatant line of executive philosophy? Seriously?

I'm saying that crying "due process!" isn't really an argument.

Elldren: even in the word 'prison' is used instead of 'jail,' moniker's statement still isn't true. The majority of prisoners got there without ever going to trial.

Feral on

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Guys.

Guys.

What's up guys.

man.

MAN.

i don't

i

is this a euphamism for something/

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

are you advocating combating heavily armed uniformed guerrillas with something other than soldiers?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Guys.

Guys.

What's up guys.

man.

MAN.

i don't

i

is this a euphamism for something/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-FC3DLKwc

HE IS SO AWESOME

anywho i am up for reach. would you like to play now for a bit?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tell Mr. Jenkees that Guitar Sounds needs to be a nightclub song in Mass Effect 3

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What is a Will Arnett?

I have no idea

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.