As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Chat] With Two Heads

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Will Arnett sits on the pantheon of Gods.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Stupid Reach.

Everywhere here is sold out of ODST.

Cinders on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate Will Arnett.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    What is a Will Arnett?

I have no idea

gob.jpg

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Feral are you seriously advocating the enemy combatant line of executive philosophy? Seriously?

I'm saying that crying "due process!" isn't really an argument.

Neither is suggesting that the planet is a war zone.
    Elldren: even in the word 'prison' is used instead of 'jail,' moniker's statement still isn't true. The majority of prisoners got there without ever going to trial.

Through plea bargains &c., but they were still given due process. The cop who arrested him didn't just drive over to the penitentiary's sally port after picking him up.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh hey Mike and Will, are you playing Reach. I would like to play that because I haven't yet because I never know when anyone is playing and now I'm going to be a big baby about it with run on sentences and invite me to your games more I'm lonely :cry:

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

Is he like a Jupiter or an Eris or more like a stupid Baldr?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Is he like a Jupiter or an Eris or more like a stupid Baldr?

He's if Jupiter, Venus and Mars had a threesome.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh hey Mike and Will, are you playing Reach. I would like to play that because I haven't yet because I never know when anyone is playing and now I'm going to be a big baby about it with run on sentences and invite me to your games more I'm lonely :cry:
    Yes let's play!

Be on in 5 minutes.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hell yes I'm gonna use the jetpack and pretend I'm playing Tribes 2.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm talking about this dude in the article. It seems like he's assuming there isn't any evidence because he personally has not been able to look at it. My question is: why does that make the evidence non-existent? I don't think he gets to make the judgement about whether or not this guy is guilty, which he seems to have done.

Because there's a principle in modern law that the government is required, if they believe someone guilty of a crime, to set forth the evidence that they have that causes them to believe so. And the reason that this has happened is because there's a lot of evidence throughout history that when you don't require this, the government inevitably finds a way to abuse it.

Or to put it simply, we do not accept "because we said so" from our government, and for good reason.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't played Reach, but if what I"m hearing about the beta is true, then it's going to be my first Halo purchase.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Let's break down this article a little.

The CIA has a list of High Value Targets. It's roughly analogous to the FBI Most Wanted.
    The CIA is expected to apprehend those targets without killing them if possible, but are authorized to use deadly force in the process if necessary.
    Normally, the CIA is not required to clear every new entry on the HVT list with the President.
    The CIA is not required to publicly reveal the evidence leading them to add a person onto the HVT list. (Maybe they should be.)
    The CIA is not chartered to operate domestically. So if they add a US citizen to the HVT list, they have to clear it with the President. Personally, I feel that this is a good thing.

The only valid area of controversy as far as I can see here is the bolded statement. Maybe the CIA should have to publicly explain why they investigate and apprehend the people they do.

That said, this is not an assassination list. Obama authorized the use of deadly force during the apprehension of an American citizen. The news report that says that Obama authorized the assassination of a US civilian is yellow journalism and distorts the issue.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm talking about this dude in the article. It seems like he's assuming there isn't any evidence because he personally has not been able to look at it. My question is: why does that make the evidence non-existent? I don't think he gets to make the judgement about whether or not this guy is guilty, which he seems to have done.

Because there's a principle in modern law that the government is required, if they believe someone guilty of a crime, to set forth the evidence that they have that causes them to believe so. And the reason that this has happened is because there's a lot of evidence throughout history that when you don't require this, the government inevitably finds a way to abuse it.

Or to put it simply, we do not accept "because we said so" from our government, and for good reason.

And they don't give that evidence to just anyone who asks for it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Feral are you seriously advocating the enemy combatant line of executive philosophy? Seriously?

are you advocating combating heavily armed uniformed guerrillas with something other than soldiers?

So you are then. This line of thinking is what allowed travesties like Guantanamo to exist. You can't have it both ways. You can't allow the government to arbitrarily decide who qualifies as an enemy combatant when it's convenient for them.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited May 2010

The CIA has a list of High Value Targets. It's roughly analogous to the FBI Most Wanted.
    The CIA is expected to apprehend those targets without killing them if possible, but are authorized to use deadly force in the process if necessary.
    Normally, the CIA is not required to clear every new entry on the HVT list with the President.
    The CIA is not required to publicly reveal the evidence leading them to add a person onto the HVT list. (Maybe they should be.)
    The CIA is not chartered to operate domestically. So if they add a US citizen to the HVT list, they have to clear it with the President. Personally, I feel that this is a good thing.

The only valid area of controversy as far as I can see here is the bolded statement. Maybe the CIA should have to publicly explain why they investigate and apprehend the people they do.

That said, this is not an assassination list. Obama authorized the use of deadly force during the apprehension of an American citizen. The news report that says that Obama authorized the assassination of a US civilian is yellow journalism and distorts the issue.

for comparison, US police forces are authorized to use deadly force during the apprehension of American citizens constantly

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2010

are you advocating combating heavily armed uniformed guerrillas with something other than soldiers?

So you are then. This line of thinking is what allowed travesties like Guantanamo to exist. You can't have it both ways. You can't allow the government to arbitrarily decide who qualifies as an enemy combatant when it's convenient for them.

What is your proposal?

Seriously.

edit: and no, this isn't a binary issue. Things are allowed to be complex ffs

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I wanna write a book called "I wish it was 1987" about how everything becomes privatized and people are just as oppressed as they would be in a totalitarian state because now every service sees them as being walking money

but I'm not smart enough to make that satirical while also having some merit

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/world/middleeast/07yemen.html?hp

U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric
    WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has taken the extraordinary step of authorizing the targeted killing of an American citizen, the radical Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who is believed to have shifted from encouraging attacks on the United States to directly participating in them, intelligence and counterterrorism officials said Tuesday.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Apparently Ronnie James Dio just passed away.

Fuck. Thats depressing.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »

Fuck. Thats depressing.

D:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Fuck. Thats depressing.

FUCK

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Fuck. Thats depressing.

Google yields no results. How recent was it?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Within the last couple hours. Coming in from a couple sources, MetalInsider, SiriusXM, etc. He's been battling stomach cancer for several years now, but god... why did it have to be Dio?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    WHAT?

Dio can't be dead. I refuse to believe it.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm hoping this is somehow fake too.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Aw man, that sucks. Apparently just two weeks ago he said he was going to do more tours and errthing. R.I.P.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    no thread until somebody pins this one down

I'm counting on you!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    His site's down because of all the traffic.

FUCK.

Edit: Twitter's going nuts, but still nothing official.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    i don't know who that is.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    no thread until somebody pins this one down

I'm counting on you!

It's all over his facebook page.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Lead singer of Dio and Black Sabbath after Ozzy left.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

dude

Rainbow

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010

i guess i'll cope then.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Day9 goes to USC, which is like a 20 minute drive from where I live.

So, I mean, it's possible.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Dio has rocked for a long, long time.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Drez wrote: »

Dio has rocked for a long, long time.

Now it's time for him to pass the torch.
    :cry:

Kilroy on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
This discussion has been closed.