Options

Worst bug in a game?

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    The second bug can be found in Bravil- I was doing the Thieves' Guild questline and had to steal a certain amount of stuff to sell to the fences.

So I break into the house and loot it, and lo and behold, I get busted by the homeowner because she just got home with her two pet wolves. They flag me as hostile and attack me.

Unfotunately, I haven't been flagged as a lawbreaker yet, so every wandering member of the city guard shows up as I run out of the house... and attack the wolves. This, in turn, brings every wandering legionnaire in the whole damned province eventually to Bravil, as well as a loud banging noise that I can only assume is the game's AI slamming its head into the other side of the TV screen.

I will be honest.

Stupid AI wars are the best reason to play Oblivion

I only wish it was as cool in Fallout 3

Jintor on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Man, did the Lufia 2 glitch only happen on the US release? I never saw a single glitch in that game, and I played it religiously for a better part of my childhood.

US Only last I heard, it was a problem with the localization. Somehow in the encoding they 'damaged' the final level. There are youtube videos of it and how to get around it.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Yaaaaaaaaaay you showed up

I knew I'd slaughter it and give the lame abridged version so really thanks for that dudes

I always meant to ask-why does the Relm Sketch bug happen? Insufficient playtesting/game assumes you're always going to sketch a hostile character, so sketching Gau makes it freak out?

In that same vein, does sketching whilst muddled make it try to sketch yourself? Is that why it freaks? Sketching a Vanished monster is because it can't find a target/sprite to replicate for the move?

The long and short of it is a missing pointer if I remember correctly. The game is looking for something to show it where to go but it was never initialized, so instead of insta locking or spitting out an error code it just chugs along with some other number from the monster data chaining into these weird effects.

Other unsafe times to sketch involve having the whole party jumped off the screen, some of the dragon fights, Intangir (that one is hilarious, by the way, but could break your game) and Brainpan on the floating continent.

As a kid I used to rent FF III and someone had preformed the glitch on one of the save files, making it iffy. The other ones though had the awesome effect of Sabin and Cyan always learning Fire 2 for no reason on the Phantom Train.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well the Relm glitch came in 2 flavors. The standard 'paint invisable' Or the ultradelux 'paint invisable x-zone/sneeze' style that actually would crash the game. The later was tricky because you'd have to do the Relm Glitch on a foe that had such attacks.

And by crash I mean crash and have a 25% chance of causing your save games to be corrupted to unplayable.

Basically get Relm upgraded to her 'control' option asap to avoid the bug.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    (I hope this hasn't been mentioned.)

In Total Annihilation your air transports could pick up enemy units. So early in a game, you could pick up the enemy commander and tell the plane to self-detonate, at which point the enemy is robbed of his best builder and best early-game combat unit. You could then just walk your own commander into his base and destroy it easily.

Also, I remember earlier versions had a problem where the AI would immediately march it's commander into your base on small maps. This would result in both commanders dying instantly (commanders went nuclear on death, so no matter who was killed the winner would be obliterated), and if you didn't have a factory up you were SOL.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well the Relm glitch came in 2 flavors. The standard 'paint invisable' Or the ultradelux 'paint invisable x-zone/sneeze' style that actually would crash the game. The later was tricky because you'd have to do the Relm Glitch on a foe that had such attacks.

And by crash I mean crash and have a 25% chance of causing your save games to be corrupted to unplayable.

Basically get Relm upgraded to her 'control' option asap to avoid the bug.

Or don't use Relm at all, she is pretty terrible :D

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    she has the highest Magic stat in the game what are you smoking

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    she has the highest Magic stat in the game what are you smoking

But Draw/Control is a crummy ability. You can use just about anyone else and they have something better. And it's not like the game is hard enough that min/maxing is actually important.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Why are you using her unique ability

Have her doublecasting all day, damn

Rent on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    And it's not like the game is hard enough that min/maxing is actually important.
    All the more reason to use whoever you want and screw around with fun abilities like Sketch and Control.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And it's not like the game is hard enough that min/maxing is actually important.
    All the more reason to use whoever you want and screw around with fun abilities like Sketch and Control.

Personally I've always found her to be the least interesting character in the game, but that's just me :P

And Sketch & Control were never that great. Enemies always do crap damage compared to what you can do (assuming the ability even works, I recall it failing a lot)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The only really crummy characters are like Gogo, Mog, and the yeti who I used so little I don't even remember its name

Rent on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only really crummy characters are like Gogo, Mog, and the yeti who I used so little I don't even remember its name

Gogo is an awesome character. Problem is he's too good and makes combat boring.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Gogo was great - he could learn pretty much any ability in the game. I mean, you could give him Blue Magic, Rages, Tools, etc. and he would be crazy.

I seem to recall one of Mog's dances being really good too, but it has been awhile. Umaro wasn't that great I think, but I think he did a ton of physical damage. Still found him to be a more interesting character than Relm, and that's saying something for a guy that had literally no story :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Too bad Mog stumbles it seems like 70% of the time

I've literally had fights end before Mog was able to get a dance off

Rent on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone here ever play Civnet? That game couldn't go 2 turns without something happening that broke the game.

My favorite was playing as the Romans and making a chariot. 2 turns later, the chariot apparently was given infinite action points. One chariot took over the entire contiguous land mass, capturing every city and killing every other unit, in a single turn.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Umaro's physical potential is completely offset by giving an entire party Genji Gloves and Offerings. It is not impossible to do with the Arena and having all 4 characters able to hit for several thousand 8 times in a row beats anything the uncontrollable Umaro can do.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Umaro's physical potential is completely offset by giving an entire party Genji Gloves and Offerings. It is not impossible to do with the Arena and having all 4 characters able to hit for several thousand 8 times in a row beats anything the uncontrollable Umaro can do.

Isn't there a way to un-Berserk Umaro with an accessory or something? It has been awhile, so I dunno (plus I never use him)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evil genius had a bug where if you researched the soviet sonic crowd control weapon, the game would crash. Kind of bad early on because you are missing out on awesome gear that you need for your early base. I think it was only on the first island. It was solvable with adjusting the save game file but damn, that turned me off the game for a long while.

Soviet Sonic Crowd Control weapon.... I just pictured a red Sonic the Hedgehog with a Russian hat, giving the "attitude" look before he goes to town on some unruly proletariat in red square.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The problem with the Lufia 2 Dual Blade room is, the first time you get there you don't know that its a glitch so you start walking around in this mess of tiles trying to find something..

then you later find out all you needed to do was go in straight line. (I felt stupid)

=Warrior within=
    I learned the art of saving multiple files on my Xbox thanks to this game.
    -I had the save room glitch to which after a Dahaka section I couldn't progress due to saving at a fountain I found myself at (big mistake)..
    -Then my backup from the last save corrupted and I was forced to restart. --didnt even get the best ending... didnt even know about it having multiple endings based on something you needed to do..--

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Isn't there a way to un-Berserk Umaro with an accessory or something? It has been awhile, so I dunno (plus I never use him)

The most you could do is give him a "Frost Orb?" item that caused him to randomly do his Blizzard Breath attack. Not a bad attack for a full screen hit/low resistant magic attack but that's about it. What you COULD do with Umaro was Bezerk/Haste him and suddenly that raging badboy would spam kill just about all the enemies you threw at him. His Physical/Magical resistance also made him a good HP sponge against bosses.

Relm was really good if you partnered her up with Strago. Strago's magic was almost as good as hers but his Blue Magic attacks were godly. She could sit there with a Crystal Box/Economizer healing/buffing while gramps would dish the real pain. I would often put the two of them with my Edward/Seltzer team and face melt end game foes. My Terra/Locke/Celest/Cyan team on the other hand were my melee kill masters. Final Team Gau with Gogo/Shadow/Mog tended to just be my status effect specialty combo guys. God, I loved that game.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pirates of the Caribbean for the Xbox had a ton of bugs, including a few crashes during the final battle that made it incredibly hard to finish the main quest to beat the game. Fortunately, it was an open world game and you didn't need to finish the main quest to have fun with the game.
    There were a few other bugs preventing certain quests from being completed though, alongside many other bugs.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There was a glitch in Naruto: Clash Of Ninja 3 for Gamecube, at least in the Japanese version. CS2 Sasuke had a special wherein he would chuck a giant burning rock forward and down. If both players were him and did that special at the same time, the rocks would grind against each other forever, making the most horrible noise. The cube would slow down to a slideshow and eventually lock up.

Reminds me of one my friends found in the original Smash Bros, though much harder to come across accidentally.

Get a Ness, and either Fox or another Ness. Put them a ways away from each other on the same level. Have Ness use his PK thunder and bring it in flat so when it Fox/Ness reflects it it goes straight back to Ness. When it reaches Ness again, have him smack it with his bat. The thunder thing grows a second tail, and will eventually cause the game to lock up, with only the music running.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    Borys wrote: »
    Borys wrote: »
    Please explain the bugs like the KOTOR Stealth bug or FF6 Realm Sketch one.

The Relm Sketch one was, iirc, that if you used Relm's "Sketch" command it had a chance of completely wiping your save

That is so... random.

I remember this one, only when I used it, it copied multiple weapons from my characters and dumped them into my inventory. So I suddenly had a few hundred delicious weapons to be used as Throw fodder for Shadow, and most party members had double Atma Weapons. It only made enough to outfit 5 or 6 members of the team, so when I assaulted Kefka's Tower, the rest of the crew wore Illuminas. :P

Yeah I didn't mention it but the Sketch bug could also insta-kill anything, including bosses, dupe items, (I think?) give you free levels, crash the game, and I think...that's it
    I didn't see this corrected in the first 3 pages, forgive me if I'm repeating anything, but I believe Relm had to use sketch on an invisible monster for it to bug out the game. Otherwise it was A-OK. Something about trying to generate the image for a monster with the VANISH effect on it caused all kinds of awful, awful problems.
    It can also happen if you sketch Gau twice on the Veldt before he rejoins you, or sometimes if you sketch a Baskervor type enemy. Which annoyingly enough are some of the first enemies you see when you get Relm.

The time it happened to me, I destroyed my Genji Gloves and a couple nice weapons, but it gave me a about 80 economizers.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sims3 has some nasty save bugs I ran into, each time it made me quit the game in rage for 6+ months. Any time you save there is some chance that the save will be corrupt and your game will crash, so what you so is keep several save files and iterate over them every 30 minutes or however much time you're willing to potentially lose. This corrupte savegame would not be possible to load. I don't know if it's fixed yet, but they're up to the 3rd (4th if you count an item pack) expansion, and I know for sure the second expansion did not fix it.

What it did do is introduce another bug, in which all NPCs and PCs are missing from the game world (therefore making it unplayable) randomly after loading a save that somehow got corrupted. Luckly it would only affect that one country (the expansion introduced the ability to travel to China, Egypt, or France beyond the starting country which I assume to be U.S.), and the other countries would still be playable as long as you didn't go back to the country in question. The only way to fix it would be to paste in an "un-initialized" version of the country into your savegeme folder, which also meant that all progress you had made in that country (exploring dungeons, making friends, etc...) was wiped too.

There was also initialy in the second expansion a bug where the fridge did nothing (in fact, made the food spoil faster), and random pregnancies being attributed to you as the other parent while you never did "try for baby" or even "woohoo" with the mother, but I think a patch fixed both of those.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Sims3 has some nasty save bugs I ran into, each time it made me quit the game in rage for 6+ months. Any time you save there is some chance that the save will be corrupt and your game will crash, so what you so is keep several save files and iterate over them every 30 minutes or however much time you're willing to potentially lose. This corrupte savegame would not be possible to load. I don't know if it's fixed yet, but they're up to the 3rd (4th if you count an item pack) expansion, and I know for sure the second expansion did not fix it.

What it did do is introduce another bug, in which all NPCs and PCs are missing from the game world (therefore making it unplayable) randomly after loading a save that somehow got corrupted. Luckly it would only affect that one country (the expansion introduced the ability to travel to China, Egypt, or France beyond the starting country which I assume to be U.S.), and the other countries would still be playable as long as you didn't go back to the country in question. The only way to fix it would be to paste in an "un-initialized" version of the country into your savegeme folder, which also meant that all progress you had made in that country (exploring dungeons, making friends, etc...) was wiped too.

There was also initialy in the second expansion a bug where the fridge did nothing (in fact, made the food spoil faster), and random pregnancies being attributed to you as the other parent while you never did "try for baby" or even "woohoo" with the mother, but I think a patch fixed both of those.

I have never run into your save game bug.

Maybe it's been fixed or it's specific to your installation/disk?

Sipex on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, that's strange, that's also the first I've heard of this. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    chiablo wrote: »
    I have the power to crash any Left 4 Dead 2 server. Grab dual pistols, rapidly press E at a melee weapon. For every time you press E, it will create an additional pistol. After about 200 pistols are created, the server slows to a grinding halt and eventually crashes.

The other awesome bug I ran into was in Assasins Creed. During the final mission, I fell through the earth. It respawned me back at the beginning of the map and there was a doppleganger Altiaire. He responded to my every move and in fact, I could assassinate him and he could assassinate me. I had more fun trying to see how far into the level I could go with my new best friend than I did playing the rest of the boring game.

I found another entertaining bug is Assassin's Creed. I was in the opening town, and I climbed onto a building. As I climbed onto it I feel through the world and fell through a white void. I fell for about a minute and a half and then hit the ground and died. Then it unlocked the achievement for killing 100 enemies in a row without dying.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ar Tonelico 2's boss glitch on the American version. Basically, you have 3 turns to kill the boss or the game crashes. Every. Time.

It's possible to do with Replaikia(I pulled it off, but only after a fair amount of grinding), but it's really damned annoying.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    AmbivalentAmbivalent Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My brother got about half of the achievements for mercenaries 2 by just booting it up for the first time.

Ambivalent on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There is a bug in TP that makes it so you can't complete the game.

I can't remember where it happens at.

Someone lend me a hand?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Ambivalent wrote: »
    My brother got about half of the achievements for mercenaries 2 by just booting it up for the first time.

A PA Forums poster here (Dusda, I believe) got something like 3902940298102983 points off Condemned when he got an achievement.

He was at the top of the leaderboards for all those gamerscore sites for the longest time, and was continually accused of modding.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Ar Tonelico 2's boss glitch on the American version. Basically, you have 3 turns to kill the boss or the game crashes. Every. Time.

It's possible to do with Replaikia(I pulled it off, but only after a fair amount of grinding), but it's really damned annoying.

Oh yeah, this glitch also makes it impossible to 100% the game. See, you can fight this boss over and over again to unlock some pictures for the gallery, but she gets stronger each time you beat her. Well I grinded quite a lot by accident so I could pretty much one-shot the last boss, but I can't get past the fifth~ match with this boss. If you don't go first then you can't even win the third and fourth rounds. They fixed this for the PAL version.

Gilder on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    There is a bug in TP that makes it so you can't complete the game.
    I can't remember where it happens at.
    Someone lend me a hand?
    Cannon room. Already brought up (and the work-around).

Glal on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hear the bugs in Ultima 9 were epic at release.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

That will be my next Major Series, after I finish Dragon Warrior IV, I think.

I played Ultima 1 a long time ago, along with Akalabeth, but have not worked through the others. This is at least partially because I recall hearing so much whining about Ultima 7 and 9.

What happened in those that were so bad?

Tamin on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

I played Ultima 1 a long time ago, along with Akalabeth, but have not worked through the others. This is at least partially because I recall hearing so much whining about Ultima 7 and 9.

One non-bug related tidbit: I heard the Special Edition box for Ultima 9 was so large, slim gamers could actually wear it. It contained a cloth map and spell books and lord knows what else.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

Ultima 7 was one of the best ones I thought.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ultima IX: Ascension was going to be totally epic. But it turns out that if you didn't have a 3DFx card (they were kinda on the way out prior to the release). Then the patch that tried to fix things sorta fixed things... but it was still pretty buggy.

That and the whole "we're gonna twist he history/story arcs from all the previous Ultimas to attract new players" thing.

I kind of wish I still had my disc laying around, to see how it'd run (if at all) on hardware today.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but...

Impossible Mission, which, due to a bug, was literally impossible

or maybe it was on purpose. Can't fault it for being honest.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png