As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Foundation WANTS YOU (to register for D-Class duty)

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was always terrified of looking out windows at night
    because something might be looking back at me

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm going back to bed now, but I have the feeling that I'm going to end up lurking on this site for a long time, and eventually creating an account to see what I can put up. I'll be keeping a list of things interesting to write about and try to perfect the style before I even attempt to submit anything.

If nothing else, it will keep me from losing those literary skills I learned in college.

Khildith on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here's another idea for a SCP:

A creature that preys on you just before you fall asleep, it stays outside your room and all you hear is the sound of it dragging its fingers/nails across the walls in your house, slowly drawing closer and closer until it abruptly stops at your door. It never attacks because all it needs to stay fed is that initial fright and shock from the victim. Subjects who have fallen prey to this constantly have been recorded as becoming insomniacs.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    or an SCP that causes and feeds on bad dreams and nightmares and the negative emotions they cause, and prefers to hide in closets. but only closets that are juuuust slightly open.

fuck closet doors.

I don't have a closet.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »

That totally happened to me, and I near shat my pants.

I was visiting my brothers home and at like 3 in the morning I glanced out his second story balcony window and saw someone leaning over the railing from the front door looking at me.

Turned out to be some drunk guy who thought the party was at this apartment instead of the one with the music down the row.

Still, nearly literally scared the crap out of me.

Khildith on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ok this thread has me seriously considering going out to my covered car and listening to an audiobook for a while instead of staying in an empty house with a fuckton of dark corners

damn you people.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    oh my god stop talking I'm seriously getting freaked out over here

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    now I really want to know, like from a psychological standpoint, what causes kids to be afraid of all this innocuous shit

i dunno. fear of the dark is near-universal in my experience, at a young age. maybe it's just some deeply buried human response to darkness. we're not that good in the dark, and there are lots of things out there with big teeth and sharp claws that only come out at night, and there always have been.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    conclusion: kids are dumb

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DrBrightDrBright Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We are mostly friendly people Cilla

DrBright on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    now I really want to know, like from a psychological standpoint, what causes kids to be afraid of all this innocuous shit

on a primal level it is probably a self-preservation instinct you keep until you're old enough (ie puberty) to "defend" yourself. as far as specifics like closets and bathroom curtains, no idea.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My favorite is the calculator. Because its essential combining my two favorite things, Woody from Toy Story and Math.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Incident 303-2: Agent ████████ was showering in her private quarters bathroom when she became aware of the presence of SCP-303 on the opposite side of the shower curtain. It was wheezing extremely loudly. Startled by the discovery, she accidentally struck the shower curtain, causing it to sway outwards. The curtain partially wrapped around SCP-303, revealing that it was standing less than 0.5m from the curtain, standing erect and facing the shower. Agent ████████ reports spending approximately the next 3 hours sobbing in the shower, quietly, as not to disturb SCP-303. Agent ████████ reported that the wheezing stopped very suddenly, at which point in time she was able to exit the shower.

ffffffffffffuck

I.

fucking.

hate.

shower curtains.

Not a big fan of the movie Psycho?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My room at the family house is on the ground floor and right outside is a wooden patio

There have been a few nights where I swear I have heard footsteps on that wood
    Not like, scratchy animal footsteps, but very firm ones, as if by boots or other solid shoes, slowly pacing across the patio

It has almost always been right on the verge of falling asleep so it was clearly my own mind creating it, but still

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fear of darkness is hella instinct, man

That shit is brain tape from old times because humans ain't worth two shits in the dark

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Khildith wrote: »

I was visiting my brothers home and at like 3 in the morning I glanced out his second story balcony window and saw someone leaning over the railing from the front door looking at me.

Turned out to be some drunk guy who thought the party was at this apartment instead of the one with the music down the row.

I was sitting on my balcony a week ago and I get this feeling of being watched, I look at the building over and see this dark open window with an old lady staring at me.

I go inside cause it was kinda creepy.

A few days pass and we're having a BBQ outside and I tell my buddy what happened, as I point up to the window there was the lady again staring at us.

Then it happened again last night.

Creepy old lady neighbor

M.D. on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Kids don't have a fully formed grip on reality, so they can't really be sure there isn't a goblin living in the closet waiting for you to drift to sleep so it can harvest your eyeballs and toes.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    have you guys ever heard of exploding head syndrome?

basically it's this disorder that causes you to "hear" enormously loud explosions or noises in your head RIGHT before you fall asleep, and it's actually killed people by causing heart attacks and shit.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also the mask of hate thing that someone was shopping around earlier'? Its totem totally should be a pack of playing cards. And everyone who's holding the cards will eventually percieve the other players in the mask of hate.

Every hand that is dealt will be a Dead Man's Hand.

Edit: Or whenever the Dead Man's hand is dealt, [DATA EXPUNGED]

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man what's worse is when you're falling asleep then you imagine feeling the weight shift in your bed like someone or something has just sat on it, right nearby your feet. You then either cover your face with a pillow or blanket and just try your best not to think about it.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Incident 303-2: Agent ████████ was showering in her private quarters bathroom when she became aware of the presence of SCP-303 on the opposite side of the shower curtain. It was wheezing extremely loudly. Startled by the discovery, she accidentally struck the shower curtain, causing it to sway outwards. The curtain partially wrapped around SCP-303, revealing that it was standing less than 0.5m from the curtain, standing erect and facing the shower. Agent ████████ reports spending approximately the next 3 hours sobbing in the shower, quietly, as not to disturb SCP-303. Agent ████████ reported that the wheezing stopped very suddenly, at which point in time she was able to exit the shower.

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the kind of material I'd hoped Manny Er 303 would churn out when I proposed we make him the next Slenderman.
    I'll never trust D&D again

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    sometimes when I'm in pitch blackness I'll think to myself FUCK YOU, DARKNESS and throw a punch at nothing

I haven't knocked out a boogeyman yet, but one day

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Khildith wrote: »

I was sitting on my balcony a week ago and I get this feeling of being watched, I look at the building over and see this dark open window with an old lady staring at me.

I go inside cause it was kinda creepy.

A few days pass and we're having a BBQ outside and I tell my buddy what happened, as I point up to the window there was the lady again staring at us.

Then it happened again last night.

Creepy old lady neighbor

It's Baba Yaga waiting for you to drop your defenses.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    DrBright wrote: »
    We are mostly friendly people Cilla

Oh yeah I'm sure you all are. The general attitude you've had here is pretty impressive. Assuming you started lurking here based on a spike of applicants citing pennies arcade as how they found the site, your willingness to help bring in strangers is pretty dang awesome. Lots of places like this would try to keep everyone out, having an elitist attitude and eventually stagnate. (but yeah definitely ruining the whole asshole image you mention though)

It's just a thing.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    my cat fucking scared the shit out of me last night. i was going to sleep and rolled over groggily and BAM GIANT FUCKING FUZZY FACE AUUUUGH

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know whats awesome Koshian, when you're in the shower, and you turn it on and the shower curtain is all "I'm gonna give you a huuuuuuuug!" as it moves in.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You can't count on D&D

They're like that one guy in an assignment group who is "totally working but is like swamped and shit with work and his dad just like grounded him so *shrug*"

Then you end up failing that course and working the deep fry at a KFC and oh look who's right next to you picking their nose and texting.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Quest for Glory ruined any fright I may have gotten from Baba Yaga.

but the chicken leg house didn't help either.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    sometimes when I'm in pitch blackness I'll think to myself FUCK YOU, DARKNESS and throw a punch at nothing

I haven't knocked out a boogeyman yet, but one day

This was from a while back
    I described a dream I had when I was like 9 or 10, and it's still my personal favorite dream I've ever had, and Beavotron drew it for me

greyghost.jpg

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i keep having this experience where i have a horrible nightmare (i have PLENTY of those) and then when i wake up i am absolutely paralyzed with fear. like, i'll want to roll over or get up and get a glass of water but i am one hundred percent certain that when i turn around the thing that's waiting behind me will tear me out of my bed and fucking eviscerate me on the floor. this hasn't happened YET but it's only a matter of time, mark my words!

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    my cat fucking scared the shit out of me last night. i was going to sleep and rolled over groggily and BAM GIANT FUCKING FUZZY FACE AUUUUGH

man I'd love a pet around right about now. nothing better in the world to negate creepy home alone syndrome than a cat plopping next to you.

plus it allows you to explain away weird noises much easier, 'cause bogeymen wish they could make noises as weird as a cat at night.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    you know, i have never had a dream where i wasn't in complete control of my actions. Nor have i ever been able to feel things in them. and normally i can't run. I dream weird.

Some of these things i can explain, like the no running, my legs get tangled in the blankets and so since i can't move my legs, i can't run, but i can hop pretty great.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    gray ghost I actually thought of that story and comic as I was making that post

TRUE STORY

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Quest for Glory ruined any fright I may have gotten from Baba Yaga.

but the chicken leg house didn't help either.

Baba Yaga has always been one of my favorite folklore characters.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i remember a lucid dream i had when i was like 13. i was getting chased around by freddy kruger and i just thought "wait, this is stupid" and then i just kind of told him to go away and spent the rest of the dream doing rad stuff like flying around and shit.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Think to date my worst nightmare has to be when I dreamed of an off-white, manequin like creature stalking me in a city. Its movements were like bad stop-motion animation and I could only catch glimpses of it around corners and behind walls. It also had these big unblinking, black eyes and a comedy mask style smile that was way too big for its face.

Then I remember at the very end it finally cornered me, leaned in close and whispered

"This if fear."

Yeah that wasn't too fun.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    you guys are lucky. It's nice if I remember more than 5% of a single dream every 7 to 10 days. And that 5% is always something boring right before waking up.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've never been able to fly, never.

However, there was one dream that became zombies are killing everyone OH THE HUMANITY! And i shrugged, bored of it and got into my car and just drove around for hours. Zombies would appear at times but i would just drive by them.

Dream tried to evoke emotional response "oh look, your best friend is being killed!" Too bad dream, i am doing doughnuts in a corn field!

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    when I was like ten I had a chase dream
    I was being chased by some kind of freakish lizard-cat-thing

after running for a while I thought "Wait! This is ridiculous, this can't be happening for real! This is a dream! I can control this!"
    so I spin around, ready to confront this thing

and it pounces on me, pins me down, and is about to start dissecting me when I force myself awake
    moral: dichotomy is not in control of his own dreams, even when he knows they are dreams.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    gray ghost I actually thought of that story and comic as I was making that post

TRUE STORY

Get out of my head!
    I will kick you out of my mind

Grey Ghost on