Options

Worst bug in a game?

• Options
    hotlunchhotlunch regular
    edited June 2010
    You could access the console and do pretty much anything you wanted with it in james bond nightfire. Oh, this is in multiplayer by the way. So, dropping the gravity and jumping up in a tree above their spawn, then spawning tons of rocket launchers to rain down on the enemy as they spawned? Yeah you could do that. You could teleport behind them if you got comfortable enough with the console, and then just destroy them with weapons that dont exist on that particular multi map. Also fun hijinks like cranking gravity way up. No jumping, falling off ledges is lethal.

And the best was you could somehow boot everyone out of a server for a few minutes with some weird command. So when people inevitably were like "Hey wait theres no moonraker on this level, that mans a cheaterface, boot him out!" you could be like yeah I'm not going alone.

Yes, I was a bastard. I was also in middleschool if that means anything.

hotlunch on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How about a bug I just got?

I am playing through the tropico 3 expansion Absolute Power which has some hardass campaigns. The current one is to build a nuke which costs an asston of money and certain objectives bring it down to reasonable. My only problem is as soon as I get enough money and start building it, the game crashes 4 months later (it isn't finished yet.)

Which really sucks cause I just spent like 2-2.5 hours on this campaign. It has now done it to me 4 times in a row even when loading an earlier save.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MegaMan Anniversary Collection for the Gamecube.

They switched the "jump" and "shoot" buttons. I have to believe it was an accidental bug, because you would have to be Derek Smart to have your head shoved so far up your ass as to think it enhanced gameplay.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoN4nCaULGo

Kind of annoying music and commentary, but it gets the visual across.

Back in Vanilla, after a few patches, an area called Zul'Gurub was implemented. The boss, Hakkar the Soulflayer, had a mechanic where he applied a permanent, incurable-by-healers debuff poison that dealt periodic damage -- and when it dealt that damage, it infected all friendly targets around you with the same, permanent poison. You could get it off through the mechanics of the fight, but that isn't relevant.

Some people took it upon themselves to take that poison back to major cities and infect local NPCs with it. Because of the WoW NPC behavior of regenerating health extremely quickly while not actively in combat, these permanently infected NPCs did not die, but instead simply sat there infecting everything that approached within a small radius around them.

Before it was fixed, as you can see in the video, entire cities became infected. The players died -- low-level players would be slain in seconds, if not instantly -- while the constantly-healing NPCs just went about their merry automated way. Almost everything shut down because all shopkeepers, auctioneers, and other essentials were infected, and constantly infecting every player around them with the incurable disease.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe it's from the black heart I got on a PVP server, but I still think that's really funny.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, that's pretty funny actually.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One of the coolest incidents in MMO history: virtual plague.

Jintor on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoN4nCaULGo

Kind of annoying music and commentary, but it gets the visual across.

Back in Vanilla, after a few patches, an area called Zul'Gurub was implemented. The boss, Hakkar the Soulflayer, had a mechanic where he applied a permanent, incurable-by-healers debuff poison that dealt periodic damage -- and when it dealt that damage, it infected all friendly targets around you with the same, permanent poison. You could get it off through the mechanics of the fight, but that isn't relevant.

Some people took it upon themselves to take that poison back to major cities and infect local NPCs with it. Because of the WoW NPC behavior of regenerating health extremely quickly while not actively in combat, these permanently infected NPCs did not die, but instead simply sat there infecting everything that approached within a small radius around them.

Before it was fixed, as you can see in the video, entire cities became infected. The players died -- low-level players would be slain in seconds, if not instantly -- while the constantly-healing NPCs just went about their merry automated way. Almost everything shut down because all shopkeepers, auctioneers, and other essentials were infected, and constantly infecting every player around them with the incurable disease.
    One of the coolest incidents in MMO history: virtual plague.
    The disease also was called Hakkar's Blood, leading to an apt characterization with its other aspects as WoW AIDS.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wasn't there also an incidence of someone kiting a giant dragon back to Stormwind at one point?

Reminded me of the EQ trains you got to see pulling into station whenever you'd zone in to Lower Guk. In both WoW and EQ cases, those are more game oversights than bugs.

President Rex on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah there were cases of monsters being kiting a helluva long way back into Stormwind, generally some higher (just a few levels below the cap, at that time) mobs that went invulnerable at 1%, to be killed by a quest macguffin.

Of course, people in the city didn't have those and the mob tended to go on a rampage.

Another case in WoW was in the first real raid dungeon, Molten Core. There was a boss, Baron Geddeon, who would randomly target a member of the raid and cast a 'bomb' on them. Once the debuff expired, the target exploded and dealt a whole lot of AoE damage. The Baron would also target pets. Pets could be un-summoned, and de/buffs were frozen when they disappeared.

So, awarlock got their pet hit with the bomb and, I have to assume, quickly died, to un-summon the pet. He then trekked back to Ironforge, which at the time had the only Auction house. Ran into said AH, and summoned his pet. Who exploded and killed most everyone in the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC9c6D0B-JM

Not a bug, but funny as hell.

Arrath on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh yeah! I remember the WoW plague. As someone that doesn't play MMOs, that was fascinating.

That's actually the kind of thing that it'd be cool to see an MMO developer do intentionally. Orchestrate some kind of pandemic that fundamentally alters digital society and see how the playerbase adapts to it.

Monger on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Oh yeah! I remember the WoW plague. As someone that doesn't play MMOs, that was fascinating.

That's actually the kind of thing that it'd be cool to see an MMO developer do intentionally. Orchestrate some kind of pandemic that fundamentally alters digital society and see how the playerbase adapts to it.

Blizzard later put in a zombie apocalypse for the release of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. Players could be turned into zombies, and getting hit by a zombie would give you a disease which would eventually turn you / any NPC into a zombie (more hits would cause it to go faster, could be cured).

It did not end well.

Though it WAS funny to zombify the entirety of Stratholme. Take THAT, Scarlet Crusade!

Garthor on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Monger wrote: »

They tried it out with the Lich King plague. Player characters didn't like it much.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If they made the cure for the zombie disease some sort of raid it would've been their idea ever.

And I just gave them an idea, didn't I?

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I loved the Zombie Plague.

Also, as it went on (Wrath launch got closer) the zombification disease's resistance went up, it was pretty neat.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Garthor wrote: »
    It did not end well.
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Player characters didn't like it much.
    God. Why are MMO players such pantywaists? Oh no, you got a little zombified. So what? That's life.

Monger on
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wasn't there also an incidence of someone kiting a giant dragon back to Stormwind at one point?

Reminded me of the EQ trains you got to see pulling into station whenever you'd zone in to Lower Guk. In both WoW and EQ cases, those are more game oversights than bugs.

There have been a number of large enemies kited long distances to cities. In general, the tougher ones could do some damage but, in all, weren't terrible. Except Kazzak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0VWJdE01M

If your raid didn't kill Kazzak fast enough, he would spam shadowbolts to everyone in range. Everyone that died would heal him. So, if you don't burn him down, he'll throw murder in every direction and be impossible to kill until everyone is dead and you come back for another try. But, it's actually a fairly impressive kite to get him all the way to this city, Stormwind. There are so many people that Kazzak won't ever get out of combat and reset and he'll heal with every one he kills. He would just wreck the city. From what I've read, he would have to be removed by a GM.

Also not a bug, per se, but definitely not what was supposed to happen.

As far as real problems while we're talking about WoW...

stonetalon_boat.jpg

That is a boat. Currently, it's stuck somewhere just below the landmass in Stonetalon Mountains. Stonetalon Mountains is nowhere fucking near the dock that that boat was supposed to end up at. There was a huge event going on at the time which was drawing just about everyone on the server into one small area. Consequently, the servers were taking a huge shit.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hahaha, oh dear lord. I didn't know someone had managed to get Kazzak into Stormwind. That must've been a massacre.

I had that boat bug happen to me to, was kinda fun. It disappearing and then everyone falling through emptiness for 5 minutes was a little strange. Then I got a loading screen and appeared on the dock where I'd gotten on the boat!

Arrath on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here's a WoW glitch. To produce this glitch, you had to be a Death Knight and if you cast Death Grip (a move that grabs your target and pulls it next to you) from the boat, your target would go off flying for 5+ minutes. Then you'd end up on a boat in the middle of nowhere beneath the landscape.

Only way out would be to Hearthstone out or jump from the boat and die. Then you'll resurrect in Alterac. They hotfixed it a couple of days later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz1NqmIn55w

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone mention the jumping status effect bug for WoW? One of the bosses caused a status effect which, amongst other things, had a chance of randomly jumping to nearby people, this meant it would spread throughout your raid if not cured fast enough.

Well, apparently a hunter had his pet hit by this and...put the pet away or something and finished the raid. Once the pet was brought back out, in the middle of a major city, many many people got infected, including NPCs.

It was awesome.

edit: Ah! It was mentioned.

Still awesome.

edit2: Ah, I had some of the mechanics wrong.

Still very awesome.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    See bottom of the last page.

Arikado on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Joon wrote: »

There have been a number of large enemies kited long distances to cities. In general, the tougher ones could do some damage but, in all, weren't terrible. Except Kazzak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0VWJdE01M

If your raid didn't kill Kazzak fast enough, he would spam shadowbolts to everyone in range. Everyone that died would heal him. So, if you don't burn him down, he'll throw murder in every direction and be impossible to kill until everyone is dead and you come back for another try. But, it's actually a fairly impressive kite to get him all the way to this city, Stormwind. There are so many people that Kazzak won't ever get out of combat and reset and he'll heal with every one he kills. He would just wreck the city. From what I've read, he would have to be removed by a GM.

I love all the ghosts just standing there watching it in the video. :mrgreen:

Xaviar on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Soo... Any other bugs NOT in WoW?

Wasn't there one in Secret of Mana in which you couldn't win a fight? I remember you were in some sort of pit.

Ohhh here's one: In Turok: Rage Wars (I loved this game) you couldn't get passed a certain part playing co-op. I think it was the monkey slaying one. As a kid I was pissed that I couldn't figure it out.

urahonky on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I seem to remember that it was actually impossible to collect all the bonus items for Space Station: Silicon Valley. And therefore you couldn't actually see the game's bonus ending.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I seem to remember that it was actually impossible to collect all the bonus items for Space Station: Silicon Valley.

Absolutely. My Strategy guide actually said it too... Oddly enough. That game was great.

urahonky on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I think they released a button code that let you get into the bonus level. Not sure if there was a way to see the ending, though.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I seem to remember that it was actually impossible to collect all the bonus items for Space Station: Silicon Valley. And therefore you couldn't actually see the game's bonus ending.

Collision detection wasn't enabled for one of the collectables.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Bunch in Sonic 2006 but I think everyone knows about how bad that game was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM&feature=player_embedded

Arikado on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    None of those are bad compared to
    Now Loading
    the crazy load times.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh, Timesplitters 2 had a bug if you were trying to get all platinums for the challenges. A challenge where you had to collect bananas while avoiding golems (basically it was pac-man) was glitched out. If you got the gold then you couldn't get the platinum. So before the challenge ended you had to make absolutely sure you had the platinum score, because you only got one chance. Getting all platinums is really just for bragging rights, but it's a real kick in the balls if you got platinum on everything else but that one challenge.

Gilder on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Baldur's Gate (and other titles by those folks, Planescape Torment definitely).

Every time they released a patch it would destroy your saved data. For some reason they could never figure out how to add or change elements at the end of the save file so there would be some backwards compatibility with save files.

Put up with the bugs or start over. Again.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    Bunch in Sonic 2006 but I think everyone knows about how bad that game was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM&feature=player_embedded

If anyone wants to see many, many of these glitches (and more) in action - plus the toll they take on player sanity - I suggest watching the SA Let's Play. It's the most perfect train wreck ever.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Now Loading
    the crazy load times.

NOW LOADING

*40 seconds later*

"Oh, hey, cutsc-"

NOW LOADING

"FFFFFFFF-"

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Now Loading
    the crazy load times.

NOW LOADING

*40 seconds later*

"Oh, hey, cutsc-"

NOW LOADING

"FFFFFFFF-"
    2rzz1ua.gif

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That reminds me - was what was done in this video possible in the real game? Is this some kind of manipulation of the game's physics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the Tribes 2 crash bugs were definitely the worst. Not only because they crashed the game, but because Dynamix tried SO hard to patch that out and it never quite went away. And Tribes 2 was SO good in every other way.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    That reminds me - was what was done in this video possible in the real game? Is this some kind of manipulation of the game's physics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

Totally possible. Sonic 2006 was a train wreck.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Sonic 2006 was a train wreck.
    A literal (radical) train wreck at times. Behold! You will laugh. You will cry.

>>>>Now Loading...

You will go through all 5 stages of grief.

>>>>Now Loading...

Monger on
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kor wrote: »
    I call that the Lady GaGa bug.

I called it the Jem Bug.

Jem is Truly truly outrageous!

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In Halo if you fired your rockets too quickly after switching weapons the rocket would just fire in a random direction...which would occasionally lead to you blowing yourself up. I'd like to think it's from the 3rd person animation having the tube in the wrong direction as he's bringing it to his soldier, but it's probably not.

In KOTOR you could repeatedly mash the flurry/flair button that draws your weapon and essentially have your character have a seizure until the game caught up. On my first save I neglected to press the button until I was on the final planet and figured I'd see if it did something. I got a tooltip afterwards telling me what the button I just pressed did.

In the original game there were some buggy conversations and there was only one convoluted way you could kill Carth (be female, 'fall in love' with him and a few more hoops).

I guess only the KOTOR bug could really be considered the "Worst bug in the game" if you really, really wanted to murder off Carth though. Halo had an assortment of other bugs, like getting a Scorpion tank through the wall and falling to your death or grenade launching things into spasm frenzies. If you were fast in the jungle mission you could see hovering assault rifles and shotguns shooting at aliens (but that's more of a "the player's just supposed to hear this, not see it!" and not a bug).

President Rex on