Options

Worst bug in a game?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    That reminds me - was what was done in this video possible in the real game? Is this some kind of manipulation of the game's physics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

Totally possible. Sonic 2006 was a train wreck.

train wrecks are funny though

sonic 2k6 was in no way funny

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Ambivalent wrote: »
    My brother got about half of the achievements for mercenaries 2 by just booting it up for the first time.

A PA Forums poster here (Dusda, I believe) got something like 3902940298102983 points off Condemned when he got an achievement.

He was at the top of the leaderboards for all those gamerscore sites for the longest time, and was continually accused of modding.

His name was Dondums and he had a Joystiq article written about him :)

It was completely on accident too.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    That reminds me - was what was done in this video possible in the real game? Is this some kind of manipulation of the game's physics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

I'm guessing the game just assumes you'll be running, so you stick to the wall/ceiling during those parts so it looks cool and you don't just fall off for an unknown reason.

Also, the LP time totals:

Loading: 2:24:31
    Played: 20:16:32
    Loading %: 11.88

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Another Shadow Complex bug.

On XBox Live you could download the demo. At a certain point, the game would boot you to the Main Menu with something like an advert asking you to buy the game.

This happened immediately after beating a certain boss. Beating the boss also guaranteed a level up. So after beating the boss, the game would slow down and zoom in on your dude a little. If, right as soon as the slow down happened you hit start and pressed Load from Checkpoint, you would load to just after beating the boss, and the boot to Main Menu wouldn't happen.

You could play the entire game from that point. But you couldn't save, and couldn't go to the main menu. But you could totally beat the game without paying for it.

Unforunately, Shadow Complex is an awesome game, and after like an hour of playing I deleted the demo and bought the game proper.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MegaMek wrote: »
    (I hope this hasn't been mentioned.)

In Total Annihilation your air transports could pick up enemy units. So early in a game, you could pick up the enemy commander and tell the plane to self-detonate, at which point the enemy is robbed of his best builder and best early-game combat unit. You could then just walk your own commander into his base and destroy it easily.

Also, I remember earlier versions had a problem where the AI would immediately march it's commander into your base on small maps. This would result in both commanders dying instantly (commanders went nuclear on death, so no matter who was killed the winner would be obliterated), and if you didn't have a factory up you were SOL.

Okay so, default game-type is assassination, meaning if your commander dies, you lose.

These aren't bugs, they're cheap ways you can rush your opponent, both of which are avoidable:
    1. You can shoot down enemy carrier planes before they try to pick you up.
    2. You can queue up two events into your commander if you decide to march it into your enemy's base. First you tell him to D-Shot the enemy commander, then you make him run the opposite direction, you'll survive.

The bug I ran into was in Diablo 2, saved right before you fought Diablo, entire game folder was corrupt next time I turned the computer on, although maybe that's an operating system bug o_O still, never finished that game.

Oh, a had an awesome Diablo 2 bug once.

The disk exploded inside the CD-ROM drive.

So awesome.

So I wasn't the only one this happened to.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I think they released a button code that let you get into the bonus level. Not sure if there was a way to see the ending, though.

Yea there was a way to play the bonus level, but you still didn't get to see the true ending cutscene.

I wonder if anyone ever Gameshark'd it...

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's the most radical train wreck ever.

ftfy

Edit: OH FUCK YOU MONGER

Rent on
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    simulacrum wrote: »

Oh, a had an awesome Diablo 2 bug once.

The disk exploded inside the CD-ROM drive.

So awesome.

So I wasn't the only one this happened to.

My Diablo 1 disc has a massive chunk taken out of the label'd side from the same thing. With the sound it made, I was surprised the thing didn't actually explode. Drive was shot, though.

Hell - I remember playing a friendly game of Starcraft with a bunch of guys, and in the middle of it my monitor sparked, smoked and kicked the bucket. ...Just as my Guardian fleet was about to wreak unsuspecting havok. :(

Obviously both random occurrences (and frankly, with the amount of time I've spent with both it's not surprising I "lucked" out with those games), but it inspired my username. I kept telling friends over and over again that I'd get into World of Warcraft only when I could afford a new machine and have it built Blizzard-Proof. :P

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In Halo if you fired your rockets too quickly after switching weapons the rocket would just fire in a random direction...which would occasionally lead to you blowing yourself up. I'd like to think it's from the 3rd person animation having the tube in the wrong direction as he's bringing it to his soldier, but it's probably not.

It would also happen if you recently (drastically) changed direction, or jumped and spun around to fire. Or if you fire immediately after an explosion occurred near you. I have no idea what really caused it, but it was fairly annoying. I loved that rocket launcher and used it as much as I could.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    Seeks wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Borys wrote: »
    Please explain the bugs like the KOTOR Stealth bug or FF6 Realm Sketch one.

KotOR Stealth bug (IIRC):
    At a certain point in the game, your party gets split up and you take control of one of the characters and have to use his/her/it's unique skills to rescue the rest of the team. For me this means watching a psychopathic assassin droid butcher it's way through sith troopers with it's bare hands, so no real problem there.

For others though, it meant using the scoundrel (read: space-rogue) to stealth up and sneak the weapons out of storage and back to the team. After you save the team you enter a cutscene. In the cutscene one of the characters tries to speak to the PC that saved them, but if the rogue is stealthed it requires a perception check. If the perception check fails (very likely), the conversation never happens, so the entire team is left standing around in an awkward silence until the player restarts at an earlier save and remembers to unstealth before the cutscene happens.

It is possible to bypass that bug (on the XBox) by crazily mashing all the buttons on your controller at random. Not sure how it works, but it fixed it for me after about 5 minutes of trying.

No that just means that carth finally succeeded on his perception check.

By the way (I probably missed it being so late to the thread), the bug happens when you try to use the computer that unlocks the jail cells for the other party members whilst still stealthed at the time. After that, the character is eventually unstealthed for the rest of the mission, but the perception check is based on that one moment oh so long ago... Watching Carth's head bobble for an hour was kind of fun...

Speaking of KOTOR bugs, I got one in KOTOR 2 where the game just blacked out. After going though the hassle of killing all the jedi before the meeting on Dantooine, once I got there, it was impossible for me to continue. But it wasn't a universal bug since there was a video on YouTube showing that scene.

But after the KOTOR 1 stealth bug, I learned right quick to stagger my saves wherever possible. It usually works out fairly well. (Until you get to the end of Mass Effect 2 and one of your team dies and you can't go back far enough to reverse that error.)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe someone's already mentioned this, but in Donkey Kong 64, if you don't grab the Banana Medals that are behind the lightning during the timed challenge where K.Rool is about to blow up the island, you can never grab them again; they'll be transparent if you return to the area later. They're required for 102% completion for the secret ending, and since you normally get Banana Medals by collecting all the bananas in a world (you never physically touch them), this was completely counter-intuitive. I got every damn item in the game on my own except those ones... meaning it was the Youtube era before I actually saw the secret ending.

That's why I will never play a collect-a-thon game again.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I got hit by the DK64 bug too.

Pretty much made me go "Yep, I've beat the game."

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DK64 also had the added bonus bugs of sometimes it would just randomly delete itself, and I think sometimes bananas just wouldn't spawn in levels. I think balloons were the most common missing ones.

Gilder on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Joon wrote: »
    That is a boat. Currently, it's stuck somewhere just below the landmass in Stonetalon Mountains. Stonetalon Mountains is nowhere fucking near the dock that that boat was supposed to end up at. There was a huge event going on at the time which was drawing just about everyone on the server into one small area. Consequently, the servers were taking a huge shit.
    Arikado wrote: »
    Here's a WoW glitch. To produce this glitch, you had to be a Death Knight and if you cast Death Grip (a move that grabs your target and pulls it next to you) from the boat, your target would go off flying for 5+ minutes. Then you'd end up on a boat in the middle of nowhere beneath the landscape.

Only way out would be to Hearthstone out or jump from the boat and die. Then you'll resurrect in Alterac. They hotfixed it a couple of days later.

These were similar errors, I believe. If something glitched out, and the game lost track of where you were supposed to be, it would default to putting you at the origin (0,0,0) of the map, which happens to be under the ground in Stonetalon Mountains and Arathi Highlands (depending on what continent you're on). In the case of the death grip, there's the added bonus of your character getting slowly animated to the point for whatever reason, though you technically appear there instantly.

As for the boat? Apparently, some Blizzard employee thought it'd be funnier if people ended up on a boat rather than just spontaneously dying. Of course, they didn't think to put an NPC there to tell you "Oh hey you're stuck let me teleport you out of here", but you can't please everybody I guess.

Garthor on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kupi wrote: »
    Maybe someone's already mentioned this, but in Donkey Kong 64, if you don't grab the Banana Medals that are behind the lightning during the timed challenge where K.Rool is about to blow up the island, you can never grab them again; they'll be transparent if you return to the area later. They're required for 102% completion for the secret ending, and since you normally get Banana Medals by collecting all the bananas in a world (you never physically touch them), this was completely counter-intuitive. I got every damn item in the game on my own except those ones... meaning it was the Youtube era before I actually saw the secret ending.

That's why I will never play a collect-a-thon game again.

Some versions of Spyro: Enter the Dragon had a somewhat similar bug. In the speedway stages, if you started a race but quit out of the stage before winning, you'd be registered as having won the egg, without actually getting it, meaning that you were locked out of 100% completion. You could work around it by just not leaving the stage until you've won the race.

jothki on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm watching the Sonic 2k6 LP now because of this thread.

This is the best thing in the world, and they still have like 35 videos left.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Khavall wrote: »

When they get to the penultimate stage, before the inevitable superform boss fight, it goes from hilarious, to sad, and loops right back round to funny again.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Garthor wrote: »
    As for the boat? Apparently, some Blizzard employee thought it'd be funnier if people ended up on a boat rather than just spontaneously dying. Of course, they didn't think to put an NPC there to tell you "Oh hey you're stuck let me teleport you out of here", but you can't please everybody I guess.

If you were Alliance and got stuck on a boat off the shore of Menethil, you could actulaly JUST BARELY make it to shore as a Druid in Aquatic form. Everyone else was SOL.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

If you were Alliance and got stuck on a boat off the shore of Menethil, you could actulaly JUST BARELY make it to shore as a Druid in Aquatic form. Everyone else was SOL.

Wait, the waterwalking classes couldn't make it either?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Oh yeah! I remember the WoW plague. As someone that doesn't play MMOs, that was fascinating.

That's actually the kind of thing that it'd be cool to see an MMO developer do intentionally. Orchestrate some kind of pandemic that fundamentally alters digital society and see how the playerbase adapts to it.

They tried it out with the Lich King plague. Player characters didn't like it much.

It was fucking awesome. Anyone who complained was a little bitch, and probably the kind of person who bitches incessantly on the official forums. I.e, not to be taken seriously.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Waterwalking would break when you took damage from the fatigue, I believe. And I don't think you could mount up.

Garthor on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »

When they get to the penultimate stage, before the inevitable superform boss fight, it goes from hilarious, to sad, and loops right back round to funny again.
    There are parts of that LP that are hard to watch, but they're so hard to stop watching.

Monger on
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Waterwalking would break when you took damage from the fatigue, I believe. And I don't think you could mount up.

No mounting in water while this bug was active, and waterwalking wasn't as viable as a fast-moving aquatic form on a class that could heal itself through a bit of fatigue damage.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

No mounting in water while this bug was active, and waterwalking wasn't as viable as a fast-moving aquatic form on a class that could heal itself through a bit of fatigue damage.

Yeah, the main thing was that druid water form increased your swim speed, while waterwalking simply let you run at a normal speed, rather than the reduced swimming speed.

Arrath on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mother fucking ZELDA II: The Adventures of Link

Last castle. The game generates a random locked door by mistake. I can't complete the game because it's saved somehow. I verified this through hours of research and phone calls.

THE DOOR WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE AND I HAD TO FUCKING RESTART THE GOD DAMN GAME ALL OVER AGAIN......mehhhh.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You could've fairy glitched through the door. Turn into a fairy and you can go through most doors.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    You could've fairy glitched through the door. Turn into a fairy and you can go through most doors.

I don't think that was a glitch since they said that as a fairy you can crawl through the keyhole.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wild Arms 4.

There are bonuses you were able to get at the end of the game that were arranged in a grid-like design, sorta like a phone. You meet condition on row 3, and the condition over column 2, you get some extra sounds, or a new game +, or something.

One of the conditions was "complete the monster compendium."

When translating from Japanese to English, for some reason they took out a couple of monsters because they were some culture amusement that would make sense to the Japanese only (But why bother, wtf?).

You know what's coming next...that one pissed a lot of people off. Essentially about 3 bonuses that could never be unlocked because they forgot to remove two monsters from the monster manual when they removed the monsters.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Dunxco wrote: »

There are parts of that LP that are hard to watch, but they're so hard to stop watching.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the long load times in that game are because the engine will actually unload and reload the entire level/world every single time. Is that right?

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Wild Arms 4.

There are bonuses you were able to get at the end of the game that were arranged in a grid-like design, sorta like a phone. You meet condition on row 3, and the condition over column 2, you get some extra sounds, or a new game +, or something.

One of the conditions was "complete the monster compendium."

When translating from Japanese to English, for some reason they took out a couple of monsters because they were some culture amusement that would make sense to the Japanese only (But why bother, wtf?).

You know what's coming next...that one pissed a lot of people off. Essentially about 3 bonuses that could never be unlocked because they forgot to remove two monsters from the monster manual when they removed the monsters.

Actually from what I read, and I looked for a long time to figure what the deal was when I first read about it, the monsters were removed because they were annoying as hell. They were bunnies with clocks, like the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland, and they would reset the battle they were in. I think they were always part of an annoying group as well. So they removed both of those bunnies as they were a huge pain and then forgot to remove them from the compendium.

Gilder on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »

I don't think that was a glitch since they said that as a fairy you can crawl through the keyhole.

Yeah. That was intentional. It is the last castle (aka hard) after all. Fairy it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but for me 2 spring to mind, firstly the Grim Fandango elevator bug, where by if your processor was "too fast" the game glitch ed on a key puzzle involving an elevator. The elevator puzzle required you to drive a fork lift out of the door at a key moment as the elevator was traveling, jamming it.

If your processor was "too fast" the elevator traveled so fast you couldn't jam it in time. Worst bug ever? Probably not, but i spent so long stuck in that thing that it haunts my nightmares, also, every couple of years or so, i re-install Grim Fandango only to forget this bug even exists, it's happen 3 times in my lifetime.

The only flaw in otherwise the greatest game of all time (for me) .

The second that games to mind is the original Black and White, only because the game was UNPLAYABLE when released, and I was a huge part of that community before the game was released, there was an UNGODLY amount of hype, everybody thought this was going to be the greatest game of all time, the second coming of Christ or something, and you know, it was slightly justified because of just how good Dungeon Keep 1 and 2 were. Then game came out and it was just dire, despite many "reputable" gaming magazines giving the game perfect scores. It was the defining moment when I lost all faith in gaming publications, Peter Molyneux and allot of other things.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Soo... Any other bugs NOT in WoW?

Wasn't there one in Secret of Mana in which you couldn't win a fight? I remember you were in some sort of pit.
    Yes! I had a ridiculous "unwinnable game" bug happen when I rented SoM many, many years ago. I was just a dumb kid, though, so I didn't really realize what was happening and ended up having to start a new game (and of course with just a weekend rental, this wasn't enough time to finish it). In retrospect, I wish I had paid more attention to what happened or wrote something down about it.

Edit: Every time I tried to find reference to this bug on the internet, I came up empty. After wasting more time than I should have, I actually found one throwaway post over at NeoGAF that mentions the exact same game-breaker that haunted my chilldhood!
    My very first game of SoM had the Sprite disappear from the game entirely. I never finished it proper because I only had two characters, but I remember running around that dungeon forever trying to "find" the Sprite once more.

Probably the biggest game-breaking bug I ever experienced.

forty on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How about Guild Wars when you are trying to get high level chests for the title and after wandering around an instance or a mission, you finally find one, only its on a part of the terrain that you can't walk or click-walk on?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've said it before, but I'll bring it here anyway.

In ME1, getting knocked out by an Asari Commando while on the stairs (and potentially anywhere else) leaves your character unable to get back up or move. Or interface with the game menu. All you can do is holster and holster your gun. And hit the dashboard button, because you're not going anywhere.

What the fuck brought that about?

Also, someone's gun getting locked into the "fire" position, so it fires unendingly through cinematics, combat, as its holstered. Don't walk by any explosive canisters.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ME1 has terrible wall collision detection. Usually as a result of biotics impact. I once had to reload the BDtS DLC because the last dude I had to kill was pushed through a wall and there wasn't enough of them sticking out that I could hit.

The Benezia fight is one of the harder ones and partly for that reason.

The auto-fire can usually be ended by forcing a weapons switch. I believe a save and reload will also reset it. It's worse when a cutscene or whatever forces your team to default to, say, the pistol. And whoever it is is better with other weapons.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Of course, the fun part is that ME1 can be rather restrictive about where you're allowed to save....so if you don't want to repeat a fight, you've got to grin and bear it.

Also, on the Xbox 360, you seem to have a very strict limit as to the number of saves you can have. Not so on the PC. Unless I'm doing something wrong on the Xbox 360.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SoM is an extremely buggy game.

Infinite sword orbs anyone?

It also has really poor collision detection.

It's still one of the better 3 player games of all time.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Of course, the fun part is that ME1 can be rather restrictive about where you're allowed to save....so if you don't want to repeat a fight, you've got to grin and bear it.

Also, on the Xbox 360, you seem to have a very strict limit as to the number of saves you can have. Not so on the PC. Unless I'm doing something wrong on the Xbox 360.

I think it had around 100 save slots or something. I remember trying to clean up the saves from the 360 dashbord and taking forever.

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Really? For one career, I only had....something like ten. I tried to make a new one, but I couldn't. Chances are I'm just overlooking something incredibly obvious though.

Synthesis on