As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]aclysm: still not here

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not only did they leave our WotF a broken shell but there's like a 30 second shared cooldown with that and the pvp trinket. I assume the human form has the same shared CD though but still... damn humans.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yes, human one shares the CD.

mturalon on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I know alliance side just about all of the races bring something good to the table for a tank:

Draenei: 1% hit buff
    Human: Expertise buff with certain weapons (maces and swords I think, and both are pretty common in ICC). Also EMFT for some unique situations.
    Night Elf: Dodge buff
    Dwarf: Extra +Armor cooldown (does it still remove diseases?)
    Gnome: Pigtails

I know that a little while back the Human DK in the top raiding guild in our server swapped to Draenei so they could get the 1% hit buff in the tank group.

Nobody on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nobody wrote: »
    I know alliance side just about all of the races bring something good to the table for a tank:

Draenei: 1% hit buff
    Human: Expertise buff with certain weapons (maces and swords I think, and both are pretty common in ICC). Also EMFT for some unique situations.
    Night Elf: Dodge buff
    Dwarf: Extra +Armor cooldown (does it still remove diseases?)
    Gnome: Pigtails

I know that a little while back the Human DK in the top raiding guild in our server swapped to Draenei so they could get the 1% hit buff in the tank group.

None of them can match the awesomeness of the undead tanking advantage: Flipping females.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We're currently expecting both normal and rated battlegrounds to be cross-battlegroup (within a region) for the launch of Cataclysm. So, players queueing from anywhere in north america could play vs players on any north american battlegroup, etc.
    Holy shitballs. I might actually get into Isle of Conquest now.

815165 on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not only did they leave our WotF a broken shell but there's like a 30 second shared cooldown with that and the pvp trinket. I assume the human form has the same shared CD though but still... damn humans.

WotF was a victim of it's own popularity.

I remember for a very long time if you cared about pvp at all, and were playing any race but Forsaken (druids, hunters, shaman notwithstanding) most pvpers would mock you. There wasn't even a question; you made a mistake and chose the wrong race.

And people weren't shy about making that opinion known. The only mystery is just why it too Bliz that long to nerf it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dwarf racials got crapped on in WotLK. Stoneform lost it's poison/disease immunity due to whiny DK's (never mind that rogues had to deal with it for years, though Stoneform does still clear poison/disease on cast it only lost the immunity) and the treasure sensing racial is 100% useless in all WotLK content since they didn't bother adding treasure chests anywhere and nothing else shows up on it in Northrend (even though in older content it could be used to find quest items).

Lars on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Poison immunity vs Rogues is nowhere near as strong as disease immunity vs DK's, man.

815165 on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They said at the last Blizzcon that they would be looking at all the racials again.

Although, there have been rumors that they won't change. So yeah. Um. Those are the options.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well I went ahead and suspended my wow accounts. Main account was on a 3-monther so it is good through August, secondary account (that has my shammy on it) expires next week though.

Not sure when Cata is supposed to come out, but I am probably starting school in the Fall semester so I might not be back for the expac launch. I haven't been in school for a long ass time so I will have to get into that routine before I can allow for any possible MMO distractions.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Raaah I'm in the same boat jeep. Going to be starting my pre-med degree this fall (hopefully) once I decide which school I want to go to.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    forty wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Mutilate wrote: »
    Our perspective is going to be skewed since we all share more than a casual interest in the game. For a lot of people the idea of researching a video game is insane.

For 95% of the playerbase, WoW is just a game. It doesn't even occur to them that they need to optimize their character.

They just assume what ever choices they make are good ones, since it's a choice that can be made.
    I'd be totally fine with this if they would just stay out of raids...

I am one of those people who think of WoW as just a game, but I try to optimize my character to a degree where I still find it fun and I stay out of raids since I can't commit to the times that raids tend to run.

edit: perspective, I have been playing MMOs for nearly 10 years now and I know the pains of playing a game without looking into what skills I should be using and which skills I should avoid.

Seg on
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So considering re-subbing to farm for heirlooms for a Cata rogue with my 80 Hunter (partial T8). Would like to get the chest piece, shoulders, and daggers. I have never farmed for heirlooms before - what kind of grind should I expect?

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    We're currently expecting both normal and rated battlegrounds to be cross-battlegroup (within a region) for the launch of Cataclysm. So, players queueing from anywhere in north america could play vs players on any north american battlegroup, etc.

Hmmnn, so that means if your Battlegroup sucks as it stands in BGs, it could get worse or better if everyone in the region plays against you...

I wonder if that'll (dis)prove the "Alliance sucks, Horde rocks" in PvP thing once and for all.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Find yourself a tank buddy for quick queues and you'll be golden.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Asuma wrote: »
    So considering re-subbing to farm for heirlooms for a Cata rogue with my 80 Hunter (partial T8). Would like to get the chest piece, shoulders, and daggers. I have never farmed for heirlooms before - what kind of grind should I expect?

You'll probably have to do about 75 random heroics to get all the badges you need if you're starting from zero, including getting the haste trinkets.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you're a DPS with the Crusader title (or are close to having it), doing the tournament dailies to supplement the longer badge runs will be a huge help.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Well how many Champion Seals do you have? How many Lich King Emblems do you have? Are you willing to go with the resilience shoulders to cut down on grind time?

You are looking at 80 emblems for the shoulders and chest, 50 emblems each for the haste trinkets, 40 emblems each per weapon. Then winning the fishing thing in northrend if you want the ring.

You can break that up if you have a lot of champion seals or if you are willing to go with resilience items you need the stoneshards from holding Wintergrasp.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Hmmnn, so that means if your Battlegroup sucks as it stands in BGs, it could get worse or better if everyone in the region plays against you...

I wonder if that'll (dis)prove the "Alliance sucks, Horde rocks" in PvP thing once and for all.

I get wins and losses as both factions the one thing that is always a standard are the guys who bitch about how the faction I am currently playing never wins. Even when I am playing Horde every few matches there will be one or two guys constantly bitching about how the horde never win battlegrounds meanwhile I just came out of 2 wins in a row.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Seg wrote: »

Well how many Champion Seals do you have? How many Lich King Emblems do you have? Are you willing to go with the resilience shoulders to cut down on grind time?

It's been months since I played... no Lich King emblems. Got fairly deep into Argent Tourney dailys so think I have a few champion seals. Didn't know about the seal heirlooms, hmmm...

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You are looking at 80 emblems for the shoulders and chest, 50 emblems each for the haste trinkets, 40 emblems each per weapon. Then winning the fishing thing in northrend if you want the ring.

You can break that up if you have a lot of champion seals or if you are willing to go with resilience items you need the stoneshards from holding Wintergrasp.

plus the PvP shoulders are better for the rogues anyway (have agi instead of just sta) = 200 keeper shards

ideally you'd want the... pvp shoulders, pve chest, 2 haste trinkets, 2 daggers and the bow.

think its 40 emblems for the chest, 50 for the haste trinket and 40 for the dagger.

seals would be 60 for chest, 75 for haste trinket and 60 for dagger.

Mix and match as you see fit, keep in mind that at max rep you can ideally farm 13 seals / day if you do all 9 dailies and the 5 man instance every day.

mturalon on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I get wins and losses as both factions the one thing that is always a standard are the guys who bitch about how the faction I am currently playing never wins. Even when I am playing Horde every few matches there will be one or two guys constantly bitching about how the horde never win battlegrounds meanwhile I just came out of 2 wins in a row.

To be fair, they probably are in their 5th game where the they had 4 previous losses in a row (at least, that's when I start grumbling).

There's a reason I haven't bothered with the PVP daily in a long time.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It's been months since I played... no Lich King emblems. Got fairly deep into Argent Tourney dailys so think I have a few champion seals. Didn't know about the seal heirlooms, hmmm...

By Lich King emblems I meant emblems from bosses in heroics. Or from raids, you need Emblems of Heroism but you can turn Valor, Conquest and Triumph into heroism.

Seg on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I feel like you explained that poorly Seg.

There are three ways to get heirlooms:
    1. Buying them with Heroism emblems. You get heroism emblems by converting any other emblem into heroism emblems. Triumph emblems are the easiest to get. 1 from every boss in a heroic and from any regular ICC 5 man. And then 2 extra for every dungeon completed through the dungeon finder after the first (the first gives you frost emblems.

2. Stonekeeper shards. If you remember, you get stonekeeper shards from dungeon bosses only while your faction owns Wintergrasp. You spend them in Wintergrasp, and they are usually the pvp versions of the heirloom items.

3. Argent Tourney. Champion seals you get from the dailies, or the dungeon.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nobody wrote: »

To be fair, they probably are in their 5th game where the they had 4 previous losses in a row (at least, that's when I start grumbling).

There's a reason I haven't bothered with the PVP daily in a long time.

Well quite often the people bitching are the ones who aren't really doing anything to help us win. They are the ones who decide to camp the respawners in the other teams base, or they are the ones fighting in the middle of the map. Sometimes you get someone who bitches about always losing just after they were killed while trying to defend blacksmith or something, but normally the whiners are the ones who contribute to the loss.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mturalon wrote: »
    Mix and match as you see fit, keep in mind that at max rep you can ideally farm 13 seals / day if you do all 9 dailies and the 5 man instance every day.

And there is always a chance that the random dungeon tool will dump you into HToC multiple times in a day.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mturalon wrote: »

And there is always a chance that the random dungeon tool will dump you into HToC multiple times in a day.

and there's also a chance the coin bag from the quests will contain an additional seal. Because this is random, and cannot be counted on every day, in terms of farming i left them out.

mturalon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the info. :)

Asuma on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    So... exactly how do they intend to encourage balanced realms, then? They could really use more FCMs.

Didn't WAR give XP bonuses to people on the lower population faction? They could do something like that.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's my understanding that the heirlooms won't work at 80+ anyway.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To be honest some of the heirloom pieces become outclassed by stuff you could get at 75 or so but that extra xp is just too sweet. Too bad it doesn't stack with WG bonus.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has there been any confirmed posts on the heirloom thing? I've heard that they won't work at 80+, or wearing them makes you ineligible for certain achievements, or both, or neither, but I can't remember if they were official posts, official ponderings of "One idea we're considering is...", or just forum talk.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Won't work 80+. I'm not going to find a blue post for it, but that's what they've said. They've also talked about the possibility that using heirlooms makes you ineligible for Worgen/Goblin "realm first 85" feats of strength.

Presumably there will be new 1-85 heirlooms you can purchase with your hero points for all your new alts.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    At least they will still work 1-80. But damn Blizard's tendency to make each expansion utterly invalidate your previous efforts is annoying.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What's the best resource for figuring out all the new dungeons that were released over the last 8 months? Or rather, what are the names of the new dungeons so I can just wowwiki them?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Trial of the Champions and Icecrown Citadel.

reVerse on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »
    At least they will still work 1-80. But damn Blizard's tendency to make each expansion utterly invalidate your previous efforts is annoying.

treadmill1.jpg

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That looks like it'd fit in perfectly as a command console on a starship.

So I guess what you're trying to say is that Blizzard's CEO is one of the aliens that crash landed on Roswell? What a stupid argument. The fuck are you smoking, Hamurabi?

reVerse on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, considering it's an MMO, that's kind of the point. If your level 80 heirlooms and raid gear didn't need to be replaced for the next expansion, nobody would have anything to do.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

No, it's the best part about the expansions. Clean slate. Switching out those purples for some green you got four quests in. New talents, old talents getting obliterated. That's the best part about the game.

It does also reward people with tons of saved up gold, fast mounts, what have you as you can just buy your way up. It also rewards people who stockpile the right leveling resources who can become rich from said expansion.

Think of a new expansion as a new sports season. Sure, some people are ahead in talent or financial resources to get what they need, but realistically everyone has a fresh start.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
This discussion has been closed.