Options

Driving, speed limits, and new tech

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    After driving a manual car for 15 years and now having to drive an automatic, let it be known that automatic transmission is utter shit. You have ZERO control with an auto.

Yeah man, I pressed the accelerator and the car went from 0 to 100 without any dicking around. WTF?!?! Where's the control?!?!?

Except the guy with the manual did it faster, without going into the red, and with less damage to transmission and engine.

Unless you have a really fancy auto transmissions

ronzo on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    geckahn wrote: »
    I am a significantly better driver with a manual. You actually need to pay attention to everything going around you, and you have much better maneuverability in traffic.

I'm with shryke. I'm not really sure what you are talking about with maneuverability. I want it to go faster, I press the gas and it goes faster. I want it to go slower, I step off the gas or brake and it goes slower.

I don't see how screwing around with gears and shit would help.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    ronzo wrote: »
    After driving a manual car for 15 years and now having to drive an automatic, let it be known that automatic transmission is utter shit. You have ZERO control with an auto.

Yeah man, I pressed the accelerator and the car went from 0 to 100 without any dicking around. WTF?!?! Where's the control?!?!?

Except the guy with the manual did it faster, without going into the red, and with less damage to transmission and engine.

I'm still stuck at the stupidity of assuming that not liking something you're not used to means that the thing you're used to is better.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I am a significantly better driver with a manual. You actually need to pay attention to everything going around you, and you have much better maneuverability in traffic.

I'm with shryke. I'm not really sure what you are talking about with maneuverability. I want it to go faster, I press the gas and it goes faster. I want it to go slower, I step off the gas or brake and it goes slower.

Well since I've done both, and you apparently have not, let's just assume I'm right.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You see, by adding something he needs to pay attention to on top of the road, he's paying more attention. Not to the road, granted, but it's still paying more attention to something. That's why I'm so much better at driving when I'm texting.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Well since I've done both, and you apparently have not, let's just assume I'm right.

People who drive manuals are to cars what Apple hipsters are to PCs.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

I'm still stuck at the stupidity of assuming that not liking something you're not used to means that the thing you're used to is better.

I don't drive a manual, and really dont have an opinion about which is better.

But I do know, at least for the specific example given, that a guy with a manual who knows how to drive it would smoke someone in a race from 0-100, and cause less damage to the transmission in the process

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

But I do know, at least for the specific example given, that a guy with a manual who knows how to drive it would smoke someone in a race from 0-100, and cause less damage to the transmission in the process

Could you please explain why?

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My example above actually specifically stated some examples of situations where an automatic gearbox proved disappointing. A straight series from 0-100 was not one of them. I'm talking about those slightly awkard schenarios where you want to adjust what's happening, or where the lay of the road is unusual etc. Y'know driving.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I know there's more to learn with a manual transmission, but I feel that I have more control with a manual. If I want to slow down, I can ease up on the accelerator rather than having to break.

My car already does this.
    Some autos, especially in smaller engine cars, dont handle certain things very well, like shifting to accelerate at higher speeds, up hills etc.

I have never had any trouble with either of these.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dude. You have absolutely no comparison to make here because you've only ever used an auto.

forgot for a moment what the topic is. You're comparing two different things and coming to a definitive judgment on the matter while only having experience with one. It's very stupid.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Assuming you floored it, an automatic usually waits until it gets near the redline before shifting gears, which is past the sweet spot for manually shifting gears in most cars.

Which means the dude in the manual is going to more efficiently switch gears than the dude in the automatic, unless the auto transmission is one of the nice racing kinds

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Assuming you floored it, an automatic usually waits until it gets near the redline before shifting gears, which is past the sweet spot for manually shifting gears in most cars.

Which means the dude in the manual is going to more efficiently switch gears than the dude in the automatic, unless the auto transmission is one of the nice racing kinds

What decides what the optimal moment is?

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

The engine.

But an experienced manual driver can know when this is.

An automatic transmission generally doesn't shoot for this...at least not well.

Still, I'll back you up...I drove stick for years upon years, and I vastly prefer automatic. My car is still perfectly responsive, and while occasionally I wish I could manually downshift for passing, generally the car will figure out what I want and do it for me (it's mostly a trust thing).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

You see, by adding something he needs to pay attention to on top of the road, he's paying more attention. Not to the road, granted, but it's still paying more attention to something. That's why I'm so much better at driving when I'm texting.

I loved this analogy. It's exactly what I'm like when driving a manual. I get tense, my concentration drops like a rock and I feel like I'm seriously multitasking. It really is the equivalent of talking on the phone, listening to music or texting. I can't do it. I like to hit a corner, tap the brake, swing the wheel and tap the accelerator while watching everything around me. If I'm trying to switch gears and not stall the car as I do, I'm suddenly concentrating on that and not the road or my steering or indicating. I live in a pretty rural area and god knows I'm not a car person. I just want to get from Point A to Point B safely and in a reasonable time. I'm not looking to go rally driving, I'm trying to keep myself alive, not get pulled over by a cop or damage someone's car. That's it.

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

The engine.

But an experienced manual driver can know when this is.

An automatic transmission generally doesn't shoot for this...at least not well.

Still, I'll back you up...I drove stick for years upon years, and I vastly prefer automatic. My car is still perfectly responsive, and while occasionally I wish I could manually downshift for passing, generally the car will figure out what I want and do it for me (it's mostly a trust thing).

I'm just trying to understand what's going on here. My knowledge of how car engines even work is cursory at best. Can anyone explain this in terms of like physics and gears and shit?

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Boy how about them 100 km/h limiters, they're pretty stupid

Robman on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I guess if you floor it. But why in the fuck would you ever need to do that?

Smooth acceleration. Save gas and your transmission.

I mean, really, the guy in the manual accelerating faster isn't even an issue. Who cares? You aren't a drag racer.

shryke on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Look all the stupid manual vs automatic debates always come down to one simple comparison.

Manuals are predictive. Automatics are reactive. If you're unable to drive in a predictive manner, then you should stick with the automatic.

Robman on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My car has a digital output for speed and fuel, and I can switch it from American standard to metric

So whenever I want to think I'm going faster and have more gas I switch to metric

Before I was going 45mph and had 3 gallons of gas, but now I'm going 72kph and have 11 liters left! That's way better

Just Like That on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Look all the stupid manual vs automatic debates always come down to one simple comparison.

Manuals are predictive. Automatics are reactive. If you're unable to drive in a predictive manner, then you should stick with the automatic.

Or if you have no interest in doing so.

Manual drivers are the hipsters of the automotive world, driving around on their car versions of a fixed-gear bike.

shryke on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can tell when my car needs to change gears and isn't, but I don't want to have to move some thingamajig while I'm trying to text and surf the web.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The issue of security is one major hurdle. I guess you would have to encrypt the signal somehow, but I'm not sure how. You would need to use an encryption system under which knowing an encrypted message, and the decrypted version of that same message, was not sufficient to construct a different encrypted message. And I don't know enough about cryptology to know if that is possible.

Actually, this is one of the easier aspects of the technological side of such an implementation. It's pretty much a textbook case of what asymmetric cryptography was designed to do.

The signal itself has no need to be encrypted but DOES need to be signed, so that it can be verified that the signal comes from a valid source and has been unchanged. This requires that the signing keys remain secure at all times, and the public keys used for verification be known.

The more problematic part is that a secure implementation would cycle the keys every so often to ensure that if the key is compromised it has a limited window in which it can be used, and to provide a much reduced attack window. Ensuring that all cars are synchronised with this change would be the major crypographic hurdle - key management is proving to the real struggle for modern cryptographic strategies.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On a "traffic conditions in Australia" related note.

We have "school zones" which are areas on roads which surround schools for which the speed limit is 40km/h between the times of 8-930 and 3-430. I hate them. In suburban areas it makes sense, but the fact that this applies on major arterial roads and even highways is, I feel, a situation in which the cost-benefit analysis falls is heavily towards the former.

However, what really makes me ropable is that private schools also have school zones. This is nonsense. Firstly, I do not accept that say Catholics or the Exclusive Brethren are people (JOKING(OR AM I?)).

But seriously, I say that opt out of public education, you opt out of those benefits. I say that religious schools do not count as schools.

There's a place where I grew up, that was once a seed research laboratory. It was closed down and the lab moved to a better location. A few years later, enter an evangelical insurance salesman. He buys the place, and turns into a church and "school". The "school" has serviced a maximum of 8 children at any given time. It is also 200 metres back from the road, there is nowhere to walk to and all pick ups and drop offs happen well inside the main school grounds 200 metres from the road). The kicker? This is located out of town smack bang in the middle of the 100km/h Pacific Highway

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh you fascist goose. Really? How could you... well, whatever.
    [SNIP]
    Irregardless
    [SNIP]
    To put it like a bogun bumper sticker I saw the other day, welcome to the United Communist States of Australia. ;-)

Wait, what the hell do you think that bumper sticker is trying to say? Are we like the United States or a Communist country? It's an incoherent mess of competing negative connotations. More importantly, how do you think it relates, at all, your commentary on traffic in Melbourne?

And finally, disirregardless of the fact that it's sort of off topic, you've employed allusions to three mutually exclusive political arrangements - The US, Fascism, and Communism. And then blizzard224, was the bogan bumper sticker.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Oh you fascist goose. Really? How could you... well, whatever.
    [SNIP]
    Irregardless
    [SNIP]
    To put it like a bogun bumper sticker I saw the other day, welcome to the United Communist States of Australia. ;-)

Wait, what the hell do you think that bumper sticker is trying to say? Are we like the United States or a Communist country? It's an incoherent mess of competing negative connotations. More importantly, how do you think it relates, at all, your commentary on traffic in Melbourne?

And finally, disirregardless of the fact that it's sort of off topic, you've employed allusions to three mutually exclusive political arrangements - The US, Fascism, and Communism. And then blizzard224, was the bogan bumper sticker.

Haha I realize that the bumper sticker makes no sense. My assumption was that it was trying to refer to the increasingly nanny-state laws of Victoria, I may have been wrong. I thought it was funny though so I mentioned it as a joke :P

I personally referenced Fascism suggesting that the previous poster would be a supporter of a traditional fascist ideology, you know an ideology wherein the functional roles of people reign supreme - with individual rights and freedoms fall by the wayside?

I figured the bumper sticker was probably placed in irony anyway.

EDIT : Also, Manual 4 lyf yo.

Unless you commute in your car, then fuck that scene. I drive my auto Camry to work and drive my manual Saab 900 Turbo on the weekends. Synergy.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    You will never get me to drive on the highway, and I don't have to because it's not required to get anywhere, unless you want to get there fast. But I also want to get there alive, and it seems half the time people are actually out and out trying to fucking murder you here on the highway.

Also, I'm probably the only person that finds parallel parking easier to do than 60 degree parking.

60 degree parking needs to be banned from everywhere

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    On a "traffic conditions in Australia" related note.

We have "school zones" which are areas on roads which surround schools for which the speed limit is 40km/h between the times of 8-930 and 3-430. I hate them. In suburban areas it makes sense, but the fact that this applies on major arterial roads and even highways is, I feel, a situation in which the cost-benefit analysis falls is heavily towards the former.

Haha yeah there's a school zone on the highway near Gympie that drops the speed limit from 100 to 80. Only, the point of school zones was to bring the speed of cars down to a point where they're unlikely to kill anyone who does get hit - that's usually 40, not 80. So its completely useless anyway.

That said, the one near my work is pretty essential, because the school entrance is on the crest of a hill and a corner, and the area is commonly packed with idiot rich people driving enormous cars full of idiot rich children who think they're made of rubber. And there's no manned crossings.

So I dropped out of the thread earlier due to extreme laziness, but a summary of my reactions: there are some good arguments against speed limiting here, but a lot of stupid hurf-durfing about tangential or easily solved technical issues, as well as a disturbing amount of fatalism about the road toll and lot of very poor knowledge about how cars actually work. Also, it'd be good if some of you could appreciate that when I describe driving conditions for P-platers in this country, I'm not actually advocating for those conditions. This thread is not the place to whine about that stuff, I think.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    You will never get me to drive on the highway, and I don't have to because it's not required to get anywhere, unless you want to get there fast. But I also want to get there alive, and it seems half the time people are actually out and out trying to fucking murder you here on the highway.

Also, I'm probably the only person that finds parallel parking easier to do than 60 degree parking.

...no. no. Wow, this is almost as bad as when you get cranky about drugs.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    The Cat wrote: »

Hmm?

I live in a city which doesn't require highways to reach any point in it. I'm perfectly fine driving down the 40mph main streets instead of backtracking a mile to get to the highway just to be able to drive at 75mph.

Also 60 degree parking is a fucking cancer everywhere I see it. Instead of parallel parking where I can actually see the traffic I'm pulling out into on a main street, I get to fucking guess the traffic because of somebody's gigantic SUV parked to my right, and they haven't invented rearview mirrors yet that curve light from around solid objects.

Or are we pulling in personal opinions because I don't agree with you on a completely unrelated subject again?

edit: here's a diagram to illustrate:

fuck60degree.png

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Hmm?

I live in a city which doesn't require highways to reach any point in it. I'm perfectly fine driving down the 40mph main streets instead of backtracking a mile to get to the highway just to be able to drive at 75mph.

Also 60 degree parking is a fucking cancer everywhere I see it. Instead of parallel parking where I can actually see the traffic I'm pulling out into on a main street, I get to fucking guess the traffic because of somebody's gigantic SUV parked to my right, and they haven't invented rearview mirrors yet that curve light from around solid objects.

Or are we pulling in personal opinions because I don't agree with you on a completely unrelated subject again?

fuck60degree.png

Notice which holds more cars, and I rarely have trouble in 60 degree, infact I find it very easy, just edge out, you see another car, stop, maybe go back in a little.

And I will also say there is nothing wrong with using a manual. They aren't the "hipsters" of the automotive world. They are for people who want a greater amount of control over their car and enjoy the act of rowing their own.

It also allows safer peel outs, easier drifts and sweeter burnouts.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As somebody who recently obtained their license driving a manual transmission 4-cylinder Ford Escape with no torque and 3500 pounds of ass to carry, I can say that automatics kick ass. I love driving a Mustang around with a stick, however, since it can manage to actually go when the hammer comes down. Not a whole lot is more exciting than coming off of a stop sign onto a 60 mph interstate and just laying waste to the rears.

And personally, nowhere within 50 miles of me requires parallel parking, so that's a non-factor for me 99.8% of the time. 60 degree is a situation where I will go to great lengths to avoid the sardine-can effect; if I can't park with at least 2 spaces between me and another car in every direction, I will go out of my way to find somewhere I can.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Hmm?

fuck60degree.png

OK that's actually kind of awesome :P

still, there's a fair amount of angle parking in country towns around here, and its not really problematic because hey, rural area. also, closed carparks next to sporting fields and the like don't seem to cause problems. Maybe its because cars here don't vary in size quite as much, though.

As for highways, I'd be fucked without them. Urban design differences, 'nuff said. You do seem way too nervous about them, though. Are you in Florida?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I should note that I live in Texas, which consists of:
    • F-150
    • F-250
    • F-350
    • Dodge Ram 1500
    • Dodge Ram 2500
    • Dodge Ram 3500
    • Silverado
    • Silverado Heavy Duty
    • Excursion
    • Suburban
    • Tahoe
    • Escalade
    • Expedition
    • Minivan

And occasionally you'll find a Prius, some Mustangs, a Camaro, a Challenger, and a few rice-buggies. But other than that, everything is the size of an aircraft carrier. Gun Show parking lots are especially varied, with 90% of the spaces being white Silverados.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Manual drivers are the hipsters of the automotive world, driving around on their car versions of a fixed-gear bike.

I don't understand that argument. Manual transmissions operated correctly are superior to automatic in pretty much everything, except for comfort. Why does the ability to drive in a safer or more efficient way make one a hipster?
    I *love* driving automatic. It's easy and it's so much more relaxing, but there is no fucking way it allows for the same level of car control, particularly with regards of braking and passing(acceleration).

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    zeeny wrote: »

I don't understand that argument. Manual transmissions operated correctly are superior to automatic in pretty much everything, except for comfort. Why does the ability to drive in a safer or more efficient way make one a hipster?
    I *love* driving automatic. It's easy and it's so much more relaxing, but there is no fucking way it allows for the same level of car control, particularly with regards of braking and passing(acceleration).

Automatics are also superior at not being distracting and keeping your leg from falling off in stop and go traffic. I have yet to hear someone explain why manual is supposed to to be safer, and not many people feel the need for the performance advantages or drive in a way that necessitates them. Really, the only advantage that manual has for the average driver is mileage.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I should note that I live in Texas, which consists of:
    • F-150
    • F-250
    • F-350
    • Dodge Ram 1500
    • Dodge Ram 2500
    • Dodge Ram 3500
    • Silverado
    • Silverado Heavy Duty
    • Excursion
    • Suburban
    • Tahoe
    • Escalade
    • Expedition
    • Minivan

And occasionally you'll find a Prius, some Mustangs, a Camaro, a Challenger, and a few rice-buggies. But other than that, everything is the size of an aircraft carrier. Gun Show parking lots are especially varied, with 90% of the spaces being white Silverados.

Buy a Fit/Yaris and drive as far as you can into perpendicular parking spaces. Then laugh as people drive halfway in befor backing out.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Diomedes240zDiomedes240z Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The advantages of driving manual are several.

1) I don't need to wait for the engine to downshift for me a second after I plant my foot to overtake. I can double clutch into third and be ready to go exactly when I want.

2) I don't have to worry about the auto shifting gears when I don't want it to, for example, driving on an freeway on-ramp with a tight curve in the rain... if you reach the specific RPM + Throttle position combo that the auto shifts at when you're already relatively near the edge of your tyre's friction ellipse given the conditions, the inertia of the engine slowing down pushes you further towards the point where your tyres might lose traction. While a responsible driver isn't near this limit on public roads, I don't like having an AT cutting into my safety margin.

3) Engine braking.

4) A car with a manual transmission can be towed with the driven wheels on the ground. Most autos can't because of the way they are lubricated. This generally isn't an issue with FWD cars.

5) Improved fuel economy in most cases.

It's not about being a hipster.

Diomedes240z on
    fdod80.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    tire

i refuse to believe the other way is an acceptable spelling, british or not

ronzo on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, tire means you tire of something. EG. Holy fuck, I am tired.

Warcry on