Options

Sony's dead goat party new info

CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
THIS IS NOT FOR DEBATING THE MERITS OF HUNTING! KEEP THAT SHIT OUT OF THIS THREAD!
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/30/sony-explains-god-of-wars-dead-goat-antics/
"Slaughter: Horror at Sony's depraved promotion stunt with decapitated goat" is the sort of headline that sells newspapers -- the UK's Daily Mail in particular(NSFW). Starting with an evocative first word and ending with outright animal cruelty, it's a snappy summation of an event that was probably rife with sexual debauchery, devil worship and inappropriate hobnobbery! And that isn't even a word! Indeed, how could other papers even compete with their silly "facts" and less sensational headlines like "Promotion: Butcher-obtained goat displayed in dramatization while journalists drink soup from china bowls!" Well, we suppose that one is a little bit on the long side.

Then again, so is the story revolving around Sony's European God of War II event. It seems somewhere between the Daily Mail's spin and the Official PlayStation Magazine's (now recalled) retelling of the Greek-themed costume party, things... goat a little out of hand. Sony's senior director of corporate communications, Dave Karakker, told Joystiq that the reporter responsible for the OPSM article didn't even bother to attend the event. The basis of his article was the invitational pamphlet, "which employed a degree of hyperbole in order to encourage attendance."

Furthermore, the infamous goat was thoroughly dead upon arrival. It was procured from a qualified butcher, was returned after the event and was never allowed to be touched by journalists (no kidding around). The goat was filled with "a meat soup, made to a traditional Greek recipe and served to attendees in china bowls direct from the caterers," leaving claims of "offal" as someone likely mishearing a complaint about the actual taste of the dish. No soup came directly from the goat.

"We recognise that the use of a dead goat was in poor taste and fell below the high standards of conduct we set ourselves. We are conducting an enquiry to establish the circumstances behind the event in order to ensure this does not happen again. We also apologise to anyone offended by the article in the OPSM (subscription copies were sent out ahead of street date)." It was undeniably tacky, but hardly the "Phil Harrison bites the head off a chimp and mows down the audience using a Tommy Gun" debacle you may have envisioned before.

TL;DR:
The original article was halfway full of shit. However, the OPM did print the picture in the magazine before they recalled it.

While I think using a goat as a bowl was in poor taste, I wouldn't mind it much. What I want to know is how the hell did OPSM think putting that picture in the magazine was a good idea?
The basis of his article was the invitational pamphlet, "which employed a degree of hyperbole in order to encourage attendance."
That is some quality journalism there, OPSM.

Couscous on

• Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    More like Late to Sony's dead goat party

Saddler on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    olol daily mail

LewieP on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    The basis of his article was the invitational pamphlet, "which employed a degree of hyperbole in order to encourage attendance."
    That is some quality journalism there, OPSM.

some journalists cover sports and elections like that

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    olol daily mail

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dead Goat Party would be better on the Wii.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So the essential facts were all true, and a tabloid-ish newspaper continued the hyperbole from the Sony press release in its article. OK. The party was still a horribly stupid thing for Sony to do.

And now Joystiq jumps in with a holier-than-thou article as if they're the arbiters of good journalism! That's funny. Do you think the Joystiq article is based on anything more than one Sony exec's word?

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm outraged that I can no longer be outraged! I wish to experience more outrage! LOUD NOISES!

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    I'm outraged that I can no longer be outraged! I wish to experience more outrage! LOUD NOISES!

I'm outraged by the fact that the UK version of the OPSM is such a piece of shit that they actually thought printing that picture would be a good idea and accepted an article by a guy who didn't even attend the event.

Couscous on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Threepio wrote: »

Just wait around. I'm sure you'll find something to be outraged about. ;-)

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    Dead Goat Party would be better on the Wii.

Man, imagine the Wii-Mote controls! In the remote hand you have the cleaver, you use the nunchuck for real-time animal battery action! Man, it'll be so cool!

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So the only change is that the goat wasn't full of offal?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hopefully there were still decapitations, knife throwing, and snake handling, otherwise this is pretty lame.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's still retarded.

I mean most people manage to sell good games without using dead animals.

thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • Options
    AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Who cares.

It's a dead animal

AHH! on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's still retarded.

Giving sacrifice to the God of Video Game Sales never hurts though.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    AHH! wrote: »
    It's a dead animal

the centerpiece for any successful party.

hambone on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's still retarded.

Burger King not being one of them.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's a naked chick covered in dead animals

the centerpiece for any successful party.
    Now we're talking!

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Dead Goat to buy Sony in six months.

hambone on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What do they mean by it was returned anyway? Somebody ate the goat later? After its been sitting for several hours in the open air?
    How do you return a dead goat. Meat goes bad pretty quickly. Probably dog food I guess.
    It's still lolol marketeers either way. Like musketeers, but all for money and stupid for all.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    "I say good merchant, this Dead Goat I purchased is faulty! Why, it's not even stuffed with offal! I demand recompense forthwith!"

hambone on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wait, I don't understand what the hell is going on here. What did Sony do with a dead goat? O.o

Edit - I read this thread up and down before posting btw, I may just be slow on the intake.

Henroid on
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    olol daily mail

Yeah, they'll be doing it again around the time Manhunt 2 ships.

Wally on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    "Ello, I wish to register a complaint."

fix'd

LewieP on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What do they mean by it was returned anyway? Somebody ate the goat later? After its been sitting for several hours in the open air?
    How do you return a dead goat. Meat goes bad pretty quickly. Probably dog food I guess.
    It's still lolol marketeers either way. Like musketeers, but all for money and stupid for all.

"Welcome to Best Buy Athens! How can I help you?"

"Dead Goat"

"er..."

"I have receipt. I wish to return."

"But... we... we don't sell goats, sir."

"This is FUCKING BULLSHIT! EVERYTIME I come to Best Buy all I get is runaround. You fuckers! Fuck you! I take goat now!"

"Er... Alright sir. What... what are you going to do with it?"

"I hear someone from Sony throwing party. Maybe they want."

And that, my friends, is how the whole sordid story began. Returning a dead goat, it seems, is not as easy as it sounds.

edit: Smashing way to start the second page, if I do say so myself.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    This is only marginally better. I was never outraged - it's a dead goat, and it's not like the slaughtered it in ritual sacrifice - but my opinion was and is that this was a stupid stunt that was going to do nothing but piss people off.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wally wrote: »
    olol daily mail

They had the balls to talk about Manhunt in this Sony article.
    It is not the first time Sony has been involved in controversy over its games. In 2004, the PlayStation 2 game Manhunt was banned by High Street stores in the UK after it was linked to the murder of a 14-year-old Leicester boy.

Yeah, you remember that right, Daily Mail. When you blamed the murder on the game and it turned out the copy was found in the victim's room.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Who cares.

It's a dead animal

Bam.

At least Sony actually stuck to a theme, and didn't pull punches. :lol:

Kami on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    olol daily mail

It is not the first time Sony has been involved in controversy over its games. In 2004, the PlayStation 2 game Manhunt was banned by High Street stores in the UK after it was linked to the murder of a 14-year-old Leicester boy.

Yeah, you remember that right, Daily Mail. When you blamed the murder on the game and it turned out the copy was found in the victim's room.

I had to reread that like 10 times because I kept on seeing "body" instead of "room".

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still can't get enough of this image from the first thread.

Not safe for work, etc.
    sonygoatms2804468x448qa3.jpg

Rehab on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I assume the dead goat was returned for disposal. I can't imagine your average event planner having the facilities to properly get rid of something like that. I really don't see the big deal with this whole thing. As long as everything was kept "humane" (as in the silly hypocritical definition we use all the time) and hygienic, there's no harm in having an authentic theme party, no matter the cause. Are some people against it because it seems wasteful? There are far more wasteful things in the world.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Who cares.

It's a dead animal

Bam.

At least Sony actually stuck to a theme, and didn't pull punches. :lol:

Exactly, it went really well with the game they are advertising and in a single press event, Sony has proven to be more metal than Nintendo and Microsoft.

Rehab on
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    olol daily mail

Yeah, more like banned in some high street stores but not the only two major game retailers in the country. Manhunt wasn't exactly doing GTA numbers, but I remember it being sold out after that shit went down.

Wally on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    Sony has proven to be more metal than Nintendo

/golfclap

hambone on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    But surely despite the clear connection to the theme of God of War Sony must have realised how people would have seen the story.

Sony uses a dead goat that a butcher killed mercifully in publicity stunt for violent video game God of War.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

Yes.

Because the goat was filled with soup, and not offal, this is now obviously nothing to be upset over.

Oh wait except the part where they were still serving food out of a goat whose head had been removed

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    Sony has proven to be more metal than Nintendo

/golfclap

Viva Pinata... you've been dethroned.
    ololsony.png

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    But surely despite the clear connection to the theme of God of War Sony must have realised how people would have seen the story.

. . . this is the company who's marketing department came up with the PSP and PS3 ads.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »

Yes.

Because the goat was filled with soup, and not offal, this is now obviously nothing to be upset over.

Oh wait except the part where they were still serving food out of a goat whose head had been removed

Delicious, delicious soup. Although to be fair, Sony say they were only pretending the soup came directly from the goat. What they did was fill the goat with soup, then serve the guests soup direct from the caterers, telling them it was from the goat. Quite.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »

Yes.

They didn't serve the soup out of the goat, either. That wouldn't be sanitary. They served the soup from caterers' bowls and the soup in the goat was just for show.

I can't believe I'm writing about a dead goat party. This is surreal. Fuck they should have known better.

Daedalus on
This discussion has been closed.