As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Rape-Axe

Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
antirapecondom.jpg

Introducing the Rape-Axe.
A new female condom has been invented by a South African physician to help prevent rape in the country that has the highest rate of reported sexual assaults in the world.

Invented by Dr. Sonnet Ehler the new female condom called “Rape-Axe” is not just your ordinary condom, but a condom with "teeth" that attach to the penis once it is inserted.

The condom hooks inside the penis and generates enough pain to leave the rapist unable to walk, move, or urinate and the more the attacker tries to remove the it, the more pain he will suffer.

The device is inserted in like a tampon so it is convenient for most females and can only be taken out by a doctor.

Dr. Ehlers sold her house and car in 2005 to launch the project, and plans to distribute 30,000 units of the condom at FIFA World Cup arenas and after that they will be available for $2 each.

South Africa has the highest rape occurrences in the world with 28% of men surveyed admitting to sexually assaulting a woman or girl and Dr. Ehlers hopes her contribution can put an end to that.

drelhers.jpg?w=485&h=343

What's that you say? You want to see a video demonstration?

(nsfw, but no actual people/nudity)
Ultimate male nightmare or useful protection for women? I say both.

Edit: because the original article isn't very clear on this point: the device can only be removed from men by a doctor.

Just Like That on

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm for it.

Greeper on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is the kind of thing that will have me checking a vagina with a flashlight before consensual sex.

Hoz on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah it's definitely the victim's responsibility to avoid getting raped.

Rapists should be able to roam free, like nature intended.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My Ex girlfriend wants one of these,

because she told me once she wished she had teeth down there because she'd been sexualy assualted several times as a teenager.

so i'm going to buy her like a box of these for her birthday, even though she's in a happy healthy relationship.

I'm a good friend.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I don't get it.

I can't discern what your position is.

Are you sarcastically making fun of people in the thread? If so, who?

Are you just making the joke?

Or do you believe that this is a bad thing hence the snarky first line and the second line is just nonsense?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What are women supposed to do during their periods? They won't be able to use tampons anymore, which is pretty disabling if you're into sports or swimming or just don't enjoy using pads.

And it can only be removed by a doctor?! What if you want to have sex with your boyfriend or husband every night? The majority of rapes are committed by someone the victim knows and would have been likely to consent to sex with -- drunken misunderstandings are sadly common. None of the women finding themselves in that situation are going to be wearing this thing.

A barbed condom is a nice revenge fantasy, but it's not even close to practical.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    they should just go all out and make an electrified one

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm down with the intended goal of this device, but as a guy in general...

D:

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I don't get it.

Or do you believe that this is a bad thing hence the snarky first line and the second line is just nonsense?

I think this thing is a silly idea. It's impractical for reasons outlined in my other post, and it strikes me as odd that the responsibility for avoiding rape is being placed entirely on women. Shouldn't we be teaching teenage boys that rape is Not Cool?

Teaching women to be careful is one thing, but a disabling barbed sheath? Give me a break.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I don't get it.

He's mad the Thought Police aren't stopping rapes before they occur?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Intent? Laudable. Execution? Not so much.

Rapist goes to penetrate his victim. Penis is impaled. In a continent where misogyny is legally enforced in most of it's countries, I see one of two things happening:

1) Victim is killed on the spot by the would be rapist.
    2) Victim is later killed by village bigots for daring to protect herself from rape.

This product would be so much more effective at protecting women if the barbs weren't a part of it. Yeah, I concur with the doctor that the rapist has it coming, but this isn't the right approach.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This seems more likely to lead to escalation of violence than anything else.

I am glad they are trying to address the problem of sexual assault but it doesn't seem like booby-trapping vaginas is much of a solution.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And it can only be removed by a doctor?! What if you want to have sex with your boyfriend or husband every night?

I think the idea is that it can only be removed from the guy by a doctor. It obviously is designed to be removed from the woman otherwise the whole product would be self-defeating.

Unless I'm just not understanding what you're saying here.

edit: Now that I reread that article, there is some ambiguity. If it can only be taken out of the woman by a doctor, that's some stupid shit.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And it can only be removed by a doctor?! What if you want to have sex with your boyfriend or husband every night?

I think the idea is that it can only be removed from the guy by a doctor. It obviously is designed to be removed from the woman otherwise the whole product would be self-defeating.

Well, the article says:
    The device is inserted in like a tampon so it is convenient for most females and can only be taken out by a doctor.

You'll have to forgive me if I assumed they were still referring to the woman in the second half of that sentence. Tampons aren't removed the same way they're inserted.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So wait, whats to stop the guy from just taking it out of the woman then raping her?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah that sentence could be clearer. As I noted in my edit this thing is an awful awful invention if the way you read it turns out to be true.

As for putting responsibility on the woman to prevent rape, I'm not sure it's doing that, just like publicly available mace isn't putting responsibility on a person to prevent being mugged/raped. It's tragic that a product like this is considered necessary, and it should absolutely not be considered a real solution to a cultural problem.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

edit: Now that I reread that article, there is some ambiguity. If it can only be taken out of the woman by a doctor, that's some stupid shit.

NY Daily News article says it's the man who can only remove it with a doctor.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/06/20/2010-06-20_new_female_condom_with_teethlike_hooks_debuts_at_world_cup.html
    Rape-axe is inserted like a tampon and when embedded to a man the device can only be removed by a doctor.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wikipedia wrote:
    The condom would remain attached to the attacker's body when he withdrew and could only be removed surgically[2], which would alert hospital staff and police. Like most condoms, Rape-aXe also usually prevents pregnancy and the transmission of HIV and sexually transmitted Infections.

See, and there's issues with this too.

So, you go out and you meet a girl at the club. You hit it off, head back to her place, and go to get your consensual freak on...

But, what you didn't know was that the chick was a in the middle of a mental meltdown (or maybe is a total psycho) and wearing a RapeAxe. Not only is your junk mutilated, but she claims to the cops later that you tried to rape her, and the RapeAxe is now 'proof' corroborating her story.

Tough luck for you, hey 'rapist'?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I would have called it Dr. Ehler's Horrifying Dick Saw, but that kind of speaks against the underlying purpose of the entire thing.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think it's obvious that this is not intended to be some cure-all rape prevention device. It's not going to prevent those drunken misunderstandings mentioned or be viable for the day-to-day. But if a woman is going somewhere dangerous, or there's a period of time where it makes sense then hey. Another tool in the kit. Why not. People are going to misuse shit no matter it's original intention or design, and this to me seems to have a perfectly reasonable application. Especially if the thing about only a doctor being able to remove it is indeed for when it's attached on a man and not in a woman.

Like any other means of self defense the user has to be careful with it. And Ender if someone is crazy enough to trick some dude into having sex with her with one of these on, it's a pretty sure fucking bet that if the thing didn't exist she'd just find another way to mutilate his junk or attack him during sex. There are plenty of ways to implicate a rape.

Athaedos on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I read another article on this (which I can't fucking find right now) but that one was alot clearer:

The women inserts it like a tampon and can easily take it out.

Once it clamps on the man's wang though, he can't get it off without going to see a doctor. The idea being that the doctor sees the guy with the condom-of-doom on his shlong and calls the cops.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As for putting responsibility on the woman to prevent rape, I'm not sure it's doing that, just like publicly available mace isn't putting responsibility on a person to prevent being mugged/raped. It's tragic that a product like this is considered necessary, and it should absolutely not be considered a real solution to a cultural problem.

This is sort of what I was getting at, yeah. I mean, I can see the intent behind this, and it's admirable that someone is trying to do something to cut down on rape, but this is the wrong way to go about it.

At best, this thing is going to prematurely end a few rapes: not prevent, just end early. It may also deter the rapist from trying again, but it's still only on an individual basis, and individuals have a tendancy to get angry and seek revenge. It's a very poor solution.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't see why this wouldn't end up getting the woman killed or severely injured in someway.

Also she's still getting raped. This doesn't prevent shit.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

This is sort of what I was getting at, yeah. I mean, I can see the intent behind this, and it's admirable that someone is trying to do something to cut down on rape, but this is the wrong way to go about it.

At best, this thing is going to prematurely end a few rapes: not prevent, just end early. It may also deter the rapist from trying again, but it's still only on an individual basis, and individuals have a tendancy to get angry and seek revenge. It's a very poor solution.

And? It's not like we only get one shot at this or something. The perfect is not the enemy of the good. Or in this case, the sort of ok I guess.

If it improves a women's odds of not getting raped or of her rapist getting caught, even if not by much, it's still a good thing.
    nuka wrote: »
    I don't see why this wouldn't end up getting the woman killed or severely injured in someway.

Yeah, the real issue here would seem to be the women getting killed in a fit of rage by the man.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    wikipedia wrote:
    The condom would remain attached to the attacker's body when he withdrew and could only be removed surgically[2], which would alert hospital staff and police. Like most condoms, Rape-aXe also usually prevents pregnancy and the transmission of HIV and sexually transmitted Infections.

See, and there's issues with this too.

So, you go out and you meet a girl at the club. You hit it off, head back to her place, and go to get your consensual freak on...

But, what you didn't know was that the chick was a in the middle of a mental meltdown (or maybe is a total psycho) and wearing a RapeAxe. Not only is your junk mutilated, but she claims to the cops later that you tried to rape her, and the RapeAxe is now 'proof' corroborating her story.

Tough luck for you, hey 'rapist'?

Your junk wouldnt be mutilated, it doesnt tear the skin. You'd probably be uncomfortable, but you'd be fine once it came off.

And they usualy look for signs of...forceful entry when investigating rape.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Maybe in the third world, but I doubt most guys are going to go from rape to murder, especialy after getting there dick caught in a vag-bear trap.

But I'm not a rapist, so I can't really speak for that mindset.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    shryke wrote: »

And? It's not like we only get one shot at this or something. The perfect is not the enemy of the good. Or in this case, the sort of ok I guess.

If it improves a women's odds of not getting raped or of her rapist getting caught, even if not by much, it's still a good thing.

Yeah, the real issue here would seem to be the women getting killed in a fit of rage by the man.

You answered your question to me in the second half of your post. If it won't help the problem of rape in general, then it should be useful as an anti-rape tool for individuals; except this thing sucks as an anti-rape tool because it won't prevent the rape from occouring and is likely to make the situation worse.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't think this is meant to be a long-term solution. Obviously the source of the problem needs to be addressed. But in the short-term, if you're a woman living in a place where almost 1 out of 3 men will rape you, I don't see how this could be a negative step overall.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

Maybe in the third world, but I doubt most guys are going to go from rape to murder, especialy after getting there dick caught in a vag-bear trap.

Rape isn't always just out of uncontrollable lust, it's a power thing too. So we got Bill here, wants to rape Mary cause Mary needs to know her place or some shit but oh look the tables have turned because she was wearing a Rape-Axe. What does Bill do next?

nuka on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    it strikes me as odd that the responsibility for avoiding rape is being placed entirely on women. Shouldn't we be teaching teenage boys that rape is Not Cool?

Given that it is possible to both allow women to access these and encourage social stigmatization against raping people, I don't see how this puts responsibility entirely on women.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Maybe not murder, but he might do some damage to her face or genitals with his fists. Or his knife.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Rape isn't always just out of uncontrollable lust, it's a power thing too. So we got Bill here, wants to rape Mary cause Mary needs to know her place or some shit but oh look the tables have turned because she was wearing a Rape-Axe. What does Bill do next?

Rolls around on the floor in agony for a while while Mary legs it?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Maybe not murder, but he might do some damage to her face or genitals with his fists. Or his knife.
    Honestly if I had to pick, I'd choose the penis over the knife every single time. I'd still be getting violated in both instances so I don't believe there would be a difference in my mental and emotional wellbeing.

But at least my vagina isn't fucking shredded to bits. I can always go for emergency contraception.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Oh I don't mean to imply that Bill isn't going to be in a world of hurt, but what's going to stop him at later time pointing a gun at her head or something for revenge?

nuka on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    At first this seems like a good tool to aid in self-protection in a place where one might not feel safe.

Then you have to realize what the sort of person who would rape someone would do if they got caught by one of these.

I can't imagine they'd just walk away.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They wouldn't be walking at all, it seems, since the device apparently causes enough pain to keep the man from even really moving about.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    you also have to consider it as a kind of time-buying device

like jester said, there's going to be at least a moment or two of the guy reeling in agony from sticking his junk into Dr. Ehlers' Horrfiying Dick Saw in which the woman has some time to react or get away or do something

It's obviously not perfect, though

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Oh I don't mean to imply that Bill isn't going to be in a world of hurt, but what's going to stop him at later time pointing a gun at her head or something for revenge?

Not every place in the world has major repercussions for rape but almost every place has major repercussions for murder.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Not every place in the world has major repercussions for rape but almost every place has major repercussions for murder.
    I would argue that people that think raping others is cool is probably missing a couple of crayons.

nuka on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Unfortunately, the device has to be difficult to remove. If the product caught on, then rapists would quickly learn to check victims for this - oh gods I can't believe this is its real name - Rape-Axe. If a woman can remove her own Rape-Axe, a rapist can too.

It's a good idea, but it's one with very limited use. For one, it's only viable for women who want to be sexually inactive for a very long time; I'd imagine this rules out sex for gay and bisexual women, too. Also, as Lieberkühn pointed out women using the Rape-Axe can't use tampons. Pads aren't an attractive alternative, and I'll take her word on it being disabling for the physically active - and women already get enough shit about being discouraged from sports and exercise. Sorry, but I don't think reducing women to being at the mercy of their periods is a huge step forward.

And, at risk of being crude, how many women would want a contraption designed to maim inside their lady-parts? Seems bad for a woman's self-image if nothing else.

But, all that said, I'm not a woman, nor a rape victim, nor do I live in South Africa. I think a lot of us are looking at this from a western perspective. If the incidence of rape there is as bad as reported, then I can certainly see women wanting a product like this, regardless of its issues.

Unfortunately...
    The Ender wrote: »
    Rapist goes to penetrate his victim. Penis is impaled. In a continent where misogyny is legally enforced in most of it's countries, I see one of two things happening:

1) Victim is killed on the spot by the would be rapist.
    2) Victim is later killed by village bigots for daring to protect herself from rape.
    Yeah.

As is often the case in rape threads, I leave this one feeling defeated. There's no easy fix; a two-dollar piece of plastic certainly isn't going to help.

Mumblyfish on