As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter: Go to tournaments. They are fun.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sp00ky wrote: »
    Shoutouts to all the stream monsters, thanks for watching.

Oh my god it's Sp00ky. While you're here, thanks for putting out the high quality streams this whole time. Good stuff.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, is there anywhere that lists the differences between the boss versions of Seth, Akuma, and Gouken versus their regular versions?

I know Final Seth has a hell of a lot more health than his playable counterpart, but no idea how much (I assume Shin Akuma and Shin Gouken also have increased health). I also know Shin Akuma can throw two air fireballs without consuming EX gauge, but aside from that I don't know what other differences they may have.

wait wait wait wait, shin akuma and shin gouken?

nstf on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    i now use a ps2 controller for my xbox360

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, is there anywhere that lists the differences between the boss versions of Seth, Akuma, and Gouken versus their regular versions?

I know Final Seth has a hell of a lot more health than his playable counterpart, but no idea how much (I assume Shin Akuma and Shin Gouken also have increased health). I also know Shin Akuma can throw two air fireballs without consuming EX gauge, but aside from that I don't know what other differences they may have.

wait wait wait wait, shin akuma and shin gouken?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us755YS45H4

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJWKMiBijp0&feature=related

Oh my god that fireball combo :lol:.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone have any good Chun-Li videos for Super Street Fighter IV?

My brother was trying to learn her and i don't know much about her.

EDIT: Shin Gouken > Shin Akuma

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ChaosHat on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So quick question while playing as Akuma.

lk Tatsu -> hp goshoryu -> fadc -> shaku

I'm having trouble getting shaku to connect. Doesn't seem to come out fast enough when not in a corner and in the corner I assume I need to fadc back instead of forward?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fadc forward. Lp Srk is better. Does not need to be in the corner.

solsovly on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    solsovly wrote: »

Hmmm that's cool for matches, thanks. But I think a trial requires hp? Any advice for that?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Hmmm that's cool for matches, thanks. But I think a trial requires hp? Any advice for that?

Same exact thing for the trial (HP). Try cancelling after the first or second hit.

edit: for the shaku, I don't know what to say other than do it faster.

solsovly on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Not much to say. Make sure you dash out of the focus as fast as possible so that Akuma doesn't lean back.

As far as matches are concerned, I'm pretty sure doing a mp srk always does the same or more damage overall than a lp one

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Need more PMs for RANBATS!

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I guess the edit in my post on the last page was missed, so here's my question again.

Just wondering something. During May 2007-May 2008, there was a thread for fighting games in general that I made called "So, you know, fighting games.....", and the thread did its job.

But now with the revival of the fighting game genre, we now have our own threads for Super Street Fighter IV, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, BlazBlue, King of Fighters XIII, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, etc., it doesn't seem like there is a need for a general fighting game thread like the one linked above.

However, what if it were turned into a thread for the older but still kick-ass fighting games? As an example, I don't see a thread solely about Killer Instinct lasting for too long (unless a new one gets announced :winky: ) beyond us posting our memories of it. But if that was done in a thread that would invite discussion of other fighting games in addition to Killer Instinct.....especially if perhaps you know you still have a local scene for a certain game....or just want some general advice for an old fighting game that you recently bought and is therefore "new" to you....

Would it be worth it to make such a thread, or would it be better to just make a thread with just the questions you have about a specific game?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That borders on megathread territory and probably wouldn't last anyway.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, a thread just talking about the "glory" days of old fighting games?

I don't see how it could hurt. Could bring up all sorts of fighting game discussions about how great or sucky "Insert Game Here" was. Could also talk about more obscure fighting games that may not have been as popular as things like Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct.

Dunno whether the thread rules would allow it or not though. But I'd at least lurk in there :)

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

For the trial, try buffering the HCB during your dash forward. It really needs to come out ASAP.

As far as actual matches go... you pretty much never want to use that in a combo anymore. Shako damage/stun got nerfed to shit. You'll get better (or even) damage/stun by using an EX SRK after a tatsu than you would a lp SRK -> shako... you'll also save on a bar. You can still follow up a wakeup/reversal FADC SRK with a shako, so that's nice but keep it out of hit confirm combos.

aBlank on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sivraj wrote: »

I don't see how it could hurt. Could bring up all sorts of fighting game discussions about how great or sucky "Insert Game Here" was. Could also talk about more obscure fighting games that may not have been as popular as things like Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct.

Dunno whether the thread rules would allow it or not though. But I'd at least lurk in there :)

That might fly with the rules, but what games are people really going to talk about? Killer Instinct? I guess Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown, Last Blade, MOTW, DOA, but after that you're crossing into other threads or trying to scrape at the bottom of that barrel.

May as well make an SNK thread.

That said, if someone did make it and it was allowed, I would definitely post.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    That borders on megathread territory and probably wouldn't last anyway.

Uuuuuurrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh....I didn't think of it that way. :?
    Sivraj wrote: »

I didn't mean it that specifically. Hmmm....how can I explain this?....

At the very least, everyone can get into the current fighting games I mentioned before because they are the most popular and they will always have a large community of competition because they can be played online. Hence, there will be a ton of discussion available about any aspect of these games.

But even the last gen games don't have these going for them anymore. Gamecube games were never online, OXbox games don't have Live anymore, and I don't even know if there were any fighting games that were online for PS2......but that doesn't mean these games aren't still being played, whether it's just with a few of your friends or at a local tournament. Anyone wanting to join in would be "new" to these older games and would need to start at step 1. But there's no discussion on those games anymore now because they aren't the new shiny hotness of fighting games and they missed that boat. Sure, there's GameFAQ and YouTube, but it's not the same, you know....?

I guess it'd be like someone who played SF4 Vanilla, loved it, wanted to try out other fighting games, and wanted to try to get into Marvel vs. Capcom 2 but at a time before anyone knew there would be a PSN/XBLA version. (An impossibility it seems, after googling, but you get the idea.)

It's understandable to (for the most part) not bother with games that have been surpassed. (-?- SF4 -> SSF4 -> Who cares about SF4? -?-) But even in this thread's OP there's talk of SF3:3s and Alpha 2/3. They're older fighting games that are still great and still being played. And I doubt they are the only ones.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want shin Gouken so bad.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kinder, I want to face you again. Get online boy!

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Still need more duders for ranbats!

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    After 1mil+ hours in MSpaint, I changed Dan's color scheme in my avatar. DRAGON PUNCH! :P

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I had to do a fuckton of work to make Jodo's bracket maker work, but here it is.
    11bukpz.jpg

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    e2dbe2db Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gg's earlier Fig D and aBlank. Watching that Ibuki Ultra in slow motion and seeing sim's teeth clip through his cheek was coooool.

and "I want in the WWB!". What an awesome idea.

e2db on
    parobsig.jpg
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is too much of a concept right now. It needs to be a reality.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/06/29/valve_vs._capcom

Unrelated, there are too many fucking Dics on XBL right now. Dic as in Dictator. I shall now call them Dics without the k.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    e2db wrote: »
    gg's earlier Fig D and aBlank. Watching that Ibuki Ultra in slow motion and seeing sim's teeth clip through his cheek was coooool.

gg's. Sorry about the lag at the end there... I dunno why, but my internet just hates when I do parties/lobbies. Played like 5x ranked games after and it was fine... so meh.

aBlank on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought Puzzle Quest 2 came out today, so I was out of the ranbat, but it doesn't come out until tomorrow, so I am in for the ranbat.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    e2db wrote: »

Added. Halfway to our 12. Still need 6 more!
    I thought Puzzle Quest 2 came out today, so I was out of the ranbat, but it doesn't come out until tomorrow, so I am in for the ranbat.

A real nerd already has PQ2 and a 26th level Barbarian named Dover. XBLA indeed. Give me some portable DS action to make life away from my consoles tolerable.

edit: A real nerd is also getting it on XBLA so he can play online with his friends. NERD!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »

Unrelated, there are too many fucking Dics on XBL right now. Dic as in Dictator. I shall now call them Dics without the k.

there's actually a wealth of characters for a Valve fighting game, come to think of it

Gordon Freeman
    Dog the robot
    Most of the L4D special infected - Tank, Witch, Hunter, Smoker, Boomer, Charger (maybe not spitter or jockey)
    All of the TF2 classes
    Those little strider robots from Ep 2
    Chell from Portal (that would be an amazing mechanic in a fighting game)
    Some manner of headcrab zombie
    Vortigaunt
    G-Man (probably not, would reveal his powers)
    some Combine mech/soldier thing.
    Adrian Shepard

The only problem is how easy it would be to have a bunch of characters that are fighting gamed versions of FPS generic protagonists - Freeman, Shepard, any of the survivors, etc. There's plenty of stuff there though.

Dog vs a Tank Infected would be awesome.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Half-Life Brawl?

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »

there's actually a wealth of characters for a Valve fighting game, come to think of it

Gordon Freeman
    Dog the robot
    Most of the L4D special infected - Tank, Witch, Hunter, Smoker, Boomer, Charger (maybe not spitter or jockey)
    All of the TF2 classes
    Those little strider robots from Ep 2
    Chell from Portal (that would be an amazing mechanic in a fighting game)
    Some manner of headcrab zombie
    Vortigaunt
    G-Man (probably not, would reveal his powers)
    some Combine mech/soldier thing.
    Adrian Shepard

The only problem is how easy it would be to have a bunch of characters that are fighting gamed versions of FPS generic protagonists - Freeman, Shepard, any of the survivors, etc. There's plenty of stuff there though.

Dog vs a Tank Infected would be awesome.

You forgot random counter-strike douche. His supers could be speed hack and aim bot.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    actually a counter strike hacker would be awesome

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My WanFest match is in about an hour. Hopefully I can maintain a positive attitude instead of sucking like I was yesterday. Of course, I doubt it, because anytime I try to do something where my attention is needed the house seems to get quite a bit louder and suddenly my input is needed on everything.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Here are the people we have so far! If you want to join tell me in IRC or send a pm!

ChaosHat
    TheUnsane1
    TopHatPanda
    Blackbeard7
    SkutSkut
    Kinderparty
    StokedUp
    Lunixy
    DarkMecha
    Aumni
    e2db
    Chamberlain

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    RANBATTTTUUUUUUUU

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    REMINDER: PS3 Ranbat Wednesday @ 9pm EST!

PM DasUberEdward

T-bolt on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Here is the list. You know what to do.
    1. Kinderparty
    2. StokedUp
    3. Blackbeard7
    4. Chamberlain
    5. ChaosHat
    6. TheUnsane1
    7. DarkMecha
    8. Aumni
    9. e2db
    10. Lunixy
    11. TopHatPanda
    12. Apolloh
    13. SkutSkut

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Starting my journey on C to shining C. Ryu and Ken were horrible because I hate shotos so much, but as soon as I got to Honda, I felt much better. Honda is fun!

Morvidus on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whelp, I lost in the first round of the WanFest. They were good games though. I was practicing the Abel match up because I saw my opponent using Abel in a youtube video and I know that's a character I'm weak against. Turns out he uses Fei Long and Dhalsim :lol: . He took the first game as Fei and I was able to adapt and take the second round but my Dhalsim-fu is weak so he takes game three after some pretty close rounds. He seems like a nice guy too so we decided to keep each other around on our friend's lists so that we can play again in a less stressful environment.

So yeah, I lost in the first round but it was to a good opponent and I gained another online rival. These are the losses I feel good about.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What was his name?

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else