As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Options
    Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OK, weird Steam issue I'm hoping somebody can help with: if I try to link to my profile thusly:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sammich44

I get "The specified profile could not be found." I can only link using this format:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972390952

I can search for and find my username, but it just takes me to that same link. Is this because I've had a Steam account for so long (IIRC, I registered shortly after HL2 first came out)?

On a related note, I'd be obliged if somebody could extend an invite to the Steam PA group.

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Samm1ch wrote: »
    OK, weird Steam issue I'm hoping somebody can help with: if I try to link to my profile thusly:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sammich44

I get "The specified profile could not be found." I can only link using this format:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972390952

I can search for and find my username, but it just takes me to that same link. Is this because I've had a Steam account for so long (IIRC, I registered shortly after HL2 first came out)?

On a related note, I'd be obliged if somebody could extend an invite to the Steam PA group.

You have to setup those links yourself. In steam go to community, then edit profile then there should be a entry where you can edit "custom url"

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    You have to setup those links yourself. In steam go to community, then edit profile then there should be a entry where you can edit "custom url"

Oh, dear. Staring me right in the face. Thanks for the help.

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As I was considering picking up Mount & Blade: Warband, I figured I'd check out the demo of the original. That was... painful, to say the least. The gameplay seemed like it had promise, but the screenshots do not adequately convey just how awful it looks. Also, it seemed a bit odd that you could easily win battles 1 v 20 by simply riding in circles on your horse.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, has anyone tried Star Wolves 3? Is it worth picking up at 6 Euro?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    As I was considering picking up Mount & Blade: Warband, I figured I'd check out the demo of the original. That was... painful, to say the least. The gameplay seemed like it had promise, but the screenshots do not adequately convey just how awful it looks. Also, it seemed a bit odd that you could easily win battles 1 v 20 by simply riding in circles on your horse.

Mods help. For example, compare the bottom screenshot of this:
    porown.jpg

To these (and the top screenshot of the above 2):
    363309.jpg

0904y.jpg

029ff.jpg

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    links?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    links?

To what I posted? Those screenshots are from Polished Landscapes, which I believe is still in beta. There's another graphical mod that's complete and released, but I can't recall it at the moment.

I don't install graphical mods so that I can crank the battle size up to 200-300.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What are people saying about Devil May Cry 4?
    It looks so tempting, and I haven't really ever played anything in the genre. I'm already getting a 360 controller for Bully, will it work well for this too?

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played it on the PC and it's the best version, plus it adds another mode to take advantage of the PC's extra power.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    What are people saying about Devil May Cry 4?
    It looks so tempting, and I haven't really ever played anything in the genre. I'm already getting a 360 controller for Bully, will it work well for this too?
    It's awesome? Like, if want to play a stylish action game on the PC, DMC4 is the game. And even on consoles, the cream of that particular crop is still Ninja Gaiden: Black, Bayonetta, and DMC3/4 in equal parts. And God Hand is there, too.

Anyway, if you have any interest at all in that type of game, go for it. And yes, it has 360 controller support out of the box, with button prompts and everything.

Monger on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd love an enhanced PC port of God Hand.

That's the main game I miss since I got rid of my PS2.

LewieP on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright pretty sold on this

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To not make rebuying DMC4 a complete waste, I thought I'd try to finish Hell and Hell. I did manage to get from mission 4 to mission 9, but that mode can go fuck itself. Not getting hit at all is hard.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just finished playing through Indigo Prophecy after seeing it was cheap this week. I don't know why people badmouth the second half of it so much. Sure the story got a bit over the top, but if you judge it like an action movie it isn't that far out there, and was a great diversion while it lasted.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    links?

To what I posted? Those screenshots are from Polished Landscapes, which I believe is still in beta. There's another graphical mod that's complete and released, but I can't recall it at the moment.

I don't install graphical mods so that I can crank the battle size up to 200-300.

Polished Landscapes hasn't been updated in forever, and the modder is currently part of a team working on a multiplayer mod for Warband. You can get Polished Landscapes working in Warband, but it's a bit of a hack job, and because Warband has the new desert faction and a ton of new textures that didn't exist for M&B the mod ends up rendering surplus bits of snow all over the place. Still looks arguably better than Warband's graphics, though.

Best combo for vanilla M&B is Polished Landscapes, Polished Buildings, Graphical Enhancement 2.1, HD Skybox and HD Maps. It's unsurprisingly a bit of a pain to set all those up, but it makes the game - certainly the towns and battle maps - look amazing. It was one reason I held out on buying Warband until it went on sale - I expect a new game to look far better than anything the modders have done for the first, thanks. Gutekfiutek turned out the test version of Polished Landscapes by himself in two days.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thread title is best title.

Tamin on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm expecting something good for the last day. I was very tempted by JC2 but it was just a little too expensive for an impulse buy and I didn't really want it.

Casual on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am very happy I bought Just Cause 2 yesterday. It's FUCKING AWESOME. It is THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE of the first game which was FUCKING TERRIBLE.

I mean essentially you're doing the same crazy stuntlike things I guess but I dunno...the first game was just a piece of garbage compared to this one.

However, I encountered a bug in the first location. I couldn't do anything about it but die. I grappled to a lamppost and then grappled an enemy from the lamppost. My character then did a kind of pirouette in the air and he got permanently stuck there, with his entire body extended forward ala The Flash, as if he was ready to run a 1000-meter dash or something.

I had to reload. Fuck.

Well, no biggie. Lots of checkpoints and the game is so much fun I don't remind replaying little bits.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I am hoping Splinter Cell Echelon Edition will be discounted further than it is, but I highly doubt it, especially since it was discounted already a few weeks ago.

I'd also like Dead Space. I missed that sale a few weeks ago as well and I would like it. I doubt this too, though.

I bet there'll be at least one or two Valve games like a return of L4D2 and maybe Orange Box or something.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm not convinced my PC could handle JC2 anyway. Here's the specs,

Duel core 2.80 GHz
    4 GB of RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Windows 7 ultimate

Would it run like ass?

Casual on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a demo you know.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bet it will run great. If you turn off those special nVidia effects, which kill your framerate no matter what, Just Cause 2 is one of the best running games of this generation.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    With my connection I probably wouldnt have time to download it before the sale ended.

Casual on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For the price it is i'll just leave it and play on xbox 360. If it were like £6 or something I'd have got it.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Casual wrote: »
    I'm not convinced my PC could handle JC2 anyway. Here's the specs,

Duel core 2.80 GHz
    4 GB of RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Windows 7 ultimate

Would it run like ass?

It'll run.

I have a Core2 Duo 6600 (slower than your chip)
    4 gigs of RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 (admittedly faster than yours)
    Windows 7 64-bit

It runs fine on mine with all settings (including AA) at max. There's some VERY SLIGHT sluggishness when spinning around quickly but not much.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of people running it no problem on a 4850 via the Just Cause 2 Steam forums. You might not be able to crank everything up to super maximum overdrive, but I have little doubt it will run well on your machine without sacrificing too many settings.

Drez on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Argh! I have to go into work an hour before the sale updates. I won't find out what the final day is all about until like 7:00 tonight.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    After watching the DMC4 video, I'm a sad panda that I can't do any of that. I never got the hang of how to do air combos. =\ Makes for a more boring game.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    are the new sales up, I can't get on steam

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SoaL wrote: »
    are the new sales up, I can't get on steam

Not for almost 3 hours.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, you've got a little under three hours left to wait.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Steam is going to allow DRM with limited install (which makes no sense when running under the Steam DRM). Steam should really build the revoke tools into it's uninstall process.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    With my connection I probably wouldnt have time to download it before the sale ended.

Unless you're looking for excuses not to buy it, you don't have to download it before the 24 hour sale pricing ends, you just have to buy it before then.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

So? You don't have to download something right away after buying it.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »

Unless you're looking for excuses not to buy it, you don't have to download it before the 24 hour sale pricing ends, you just have to buy it before then.

I meant the demo. So it would be useless as a means of testing if the game ran on my compuetr since by the time I got a result the game would be full price again.

Casual on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think he's referring to the demo. As in they'd like to try the demo first before paying money for the full game.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm expecting something good for the last day.
    last time at xmas last day was a 'rerun' of some of the most succesful daily sales.

Willing to bet L4D2 will be on there again.

Alegis on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Klorgnum wrote: »

So? You don't have to download something right away after buying it.

He means he wouldn't have time to download the demo to see if it will run.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JC2 looks fucking amazing on my PC and runs at a good fps. I love this game

IF it helps, my specs are

Windows Vista
    4g ram
    8800 GT
    2.4 Dual Core