As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Verify Your Account NOW

• Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Decoy wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Ah, if the original's graphics hold up, then yeah, there'd be little point to upgrading them. But 20 years from now, if a developer picks up and tries to remake the game, it'd be with whatever bullet points are current; and if that means remaking the maps, and moving things around, then that's what'll happen. And that's where my annoyance comes from.

I'm sure there are comparison's somewhere on the net showing FE/SE vs FE:HD/SE:HD, sadly work is blocking me from those sites in hopes that I'll.... well, actually work. I'm sure in the comparisons though, the newer games will look HD'er.

Honestly, if it was released today, I'd still buy "Serious Sam: Close Encounters of the 4th Kind". SPI said it best, the series is essentially a DN parody. So even with the double dipping tactics, Croteam hasn't lost any of my future business over this, just my "redundant" business. Hah.

As far as I can tell, there's 3 reasons for the remakes:

1) This is the engine that they're building the soon-to-be-released Serious Sam 3 on. They're proud of their shiny new tech, and it was comparatively little effort and money to go back into their old games and give them a quick going over - new enemy/weapon models, new lighting and texturing. Money for (nearly) nothing.

2) The original Serious Sam game are ancient in game terms - there's a huge number of people out there who never experienced the originals for whatever reason, and these rereleases allow them to experience old content that is nonetheless new to them.

3) The big one - expanded console audience. By making these high-profile console releases, to a generation who wouldn't have considered playing the originals on PC, their market increases exponentially.

So if it takes minimal effort to do, and results in more sales to fund future development, where's the harm? I certainly think that owners of the original games are hardly their target market, but even fans might appreciate the extra shininess. Plus, they were just on sale for $7.50 the pair on Steam, which I reckon is cheaper than tracking down disc versions of the originals would cost you.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Plus, they were just on sale for $7.50 the pair on Steam, which I reckon is cheaper than tracking down disc versions of the originals would cost you.

Hah, you mean the cost of opening my CD booklet and taking them both out of where I left them. :)

Decoy on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, Puzzle Agent kinda looks awesome. But I simply cannot buy anything after that sale.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FE and SE are the same game? Alright, I'll buy that: But when they were released they were $20 each, which, combined, is a full $10 cheaper than a normal game, so I'll cut them some slack if the two games are similar.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hope Serious Sam 3 comes with as good a level editor. I made a MP map that was like Mario Galaxy before Mario Galaxy existed.

http://www.massassi.net/serious/files/pages/182.shtml

The site's PHP is kind of hosed, but in the 2nd picture you can see the ice planet and the stair planet floating, and you could jump from one to another (using launch pads) and each planet had it's own gravity. It was so much fun. I wanted to make an Ender's Game game out of that, but I never had the time.

I made that 8yrs ago.......holy shit I'm old.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So it seems the Counter Strike achievement patch is completely broken. I just recently reinstalled the game to give the new update a go and while playing a ton of CS_Office I got achievements for Italy and other maps a long with credit for 10000000 kills and other silly stuff. D: Steam itself also seems to be having some issues off and on since the 4th sales. Steam servers busy and all that.

powersurge on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Have you checked your stats? It probably says that you have a couple billion kills. :lol:

I gotta say, the influx of new players has evened the field for newbies like me.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Man, Puzzle Agent kinda looks awesome. But I simply cannot buy anything after that sale.

Puzzle Agent is pretty good. It's more worth it for the interesting story and art style than the gameplay though. There are a few really decent puzzles, but I found a lot of them to be somewhat boring or to be *very* lacking in rules explanations. The worst part is sometimes you need a hint, which you will get marked down for, but the first hint is almost universally unhelpful. Almost always something I had figured out two seconds into the puzzle.

There's also at least one puzzle that has a perfectly legit solution the game doesn't recognize because of a rule it never gives you (p.s. - the puzzle is "Hot Hawks").

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's... kinda sad to hear. I was hoping for some Professor Layton style thing, but on PC.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Drovek wrote: »
    That's... kinda sad to hear. I was hoping for some Professor Layton style thing, but on PC.

Don't get me wrong, not all of the puzzles are bad. There were some really decent ones (I liked the security guard one, that was actually a challenging but totally solvable puzzle). But there are a lot of "rotate tiles to make object reach the goal" type puzzles especially. Those are all a joke. And sometimes you just don't get enough information about how the puzzle is going to react when you start it (there really should be a "test" mode where you can at least see once how the object is going to move through the puzzle - obviously not with your solution so you can't cheat).

The story and setting are really interesting though. I mean, for $10 it's a decent game and worth getting.

Edit: Also I've never played Layton so I can't compare the two.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    powersurge wrote: »
    So it seems the Counter Strike achievement patch is completely broken. I just recently reinstalled the game to give the new update a go and while playing a ton of CS_Office I got achievements for Italy and other maps a long with credit for 10000000 kills and other silly stuff. D: Steam itself also seems to be having some issues off and on since the 4th sales. Steam servers busy and all that.

The only way I would even possibly consider reinstalling that life-stealing, bitch of a game, is if all the achievements were able to be given out retroactively, at least since the release of CS:S on '04.

I don't expect them to have tracked my '99-04 CS binge, but I sure as heck am not starting over with that game from scratch. Hah.

Oh, theclq.com.... how i miss you.

Decoy on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of PC puzzle games, when the hell is The Fool and his Money coming out? The guy released a demo last year.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man, this thread died a swift death after the sale.

Anyways: Anyone able to play the SS:SE HD Free Weekend? Whenever I click on single player or multiplayer it just shows all the things that are locked in the trial version, but it never gets to some playin'.

This sucks.

Warlock82 wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, not all of the puzzles are bad. There were some really decent ones (I liked the security guard one, that was actually a challenging but totally solvable puzzle). But there are a lot of "rotate tiles to make object reach the goal" type puzzles especially. Those are all a joke. And sometimes you just don't get enough information about how the puzzle is going to react when you start it (there really should be a "test" mode where you can at least see once how the object is going to move through the puzzle - obviously not with your solution so you can't cheat).

The story and setting are really interesting though. I mean, for $10 it's a decent game and worth getting.

Edit: Also I've never played Layton so I can't compare the two.

Would love to hear from someone who has played both, but still, you're right: It's only $10. Though it'll wait a bit for me, too many things to play post-sale.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe I should get around to downloading it. I only got it because it let me save a couple dollars on Sam and max season 3

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So wait, let me get this straight: The free weekend is only of the multiplayer part of Serious Sam? As in no SP nor Coop? And then only basic game modes (not the ones that seem... different and fun.)

Yeah, that'll catch people's interest.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's how it was with the Modern Warfare free weekend, too. No single player.

Really sucks for people like me, who have zero interest in competitive multiplayer gaming, but are on the fence about buying these games and would like to try them.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Vegan wrote: »

Really sucks for people like me, who have zero interest in competitive multiplayer gaming, but are on the fence about buying these games and would like to try them.

That would require single player that takes longer than a weekend(or a few hours for that matter) to complete.

Otherwise you are just giving it away for free.

Morkath on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

Puzzle Agent is pretty good. It's more worth it for the interesting story and art style than the gameplay though. There are a few really decent puzzles, but I found a lot of them to be somewhat boring or to be *very* lacking in rules explanations. The worst part is sometimes you need a hint, which you will get marked down for, but the first hint is almost universally unhelpful. Almost always something I had figured out two seconds into the puzzle.

There's also at least one puzzle that has a perfectly legit solution the game doesn't recognize because of a rule it never gives you (p.s. - the puzzle is "Hot Hawks").

This

Jintor on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Well the MW2 free weekend might've worked for me.

If it didn't crash 3 times in the space of an hour and also in that time throw me against a hacker who was dropping care packages every few seconds.

So... yeah. I pretty much went back to BF:BC2 after that.

subedii on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So wait, let me get this straight: The free weekend is only of the multiplayer part of Serious Sam? As in no SP nor Coop? And then only basic game modes (not the ones that seem... different and fun.)

I though it was the full game. Where'd you read otherwise?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I though it was the full game. Where'd you read otherwise?

When you download the game itself and try playing anything other than deathmatch, it says something along the lines of "Sorry, not available in the trial edition."

SteevL on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Still looking for people to play Borderlands with!

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Croteam have decided to make amends for a miscommunication between the marketing department and the game department by unlocking every mode for Serious Sam HD for the free weekend. Good show Croteam.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1352697

Jintor on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Classy.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Masume wrote: »
    Still looking for people to play Borderlands with!

join the steam group wangs without borders

Rent on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wow. Almost makes me want to buy serious sam. I won't because hey, it ain't no summer sale thang.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow. The Void is both great, and really really hard.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Croteam have decided to make amends for a miscommunication between the marketing department and the game department by unlocking every mode for Serious Sam HD for the free weekend. Good show Croteam.

That's pretty damn cool of them.

Unlike certain, other people during the sale I won't mention... again.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Witch people?

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    subedii wrote: »

Well the MW2 free weekend might've worked for me.

If it didn't crash 3 times in the space of an hour and also in that time throw me against a hacker who was dropping care packages every few seconds.

So... yeah. I pretty much went back to BF:BC2 after that.

Thats pretty much my experience with MW2 as well. It took me an hour to rig it to even run on my Win 7 64 machine and then when i finally got to play i was dropped into a game filled with people hacking and i was instantly leveled to max level. It was the opposite of competitive or fun.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Probably CD Projekt.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »

Witch people?

Oh you. :lol:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    powersurge wrote: »

Yeah, something similar happened to me. I know I haven't touched the autosnipers since the update, and yet I somehow have the achievement for killing 500 people with one.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So now that we are done with "crazy super sale" mode, is there a weekend sale this week?

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The serious sam weekend free weekend?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    w00dm4nw00dm4n Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    anyone want to go in on the 4 pack for serious sam 2nd encounter?

w00dm4n on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Is that all it is this weekend?

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Is that all it is this weekend?

Well you could always play some of those games that you bought but haven't actually played yet.

I'm guessing a lot of us are in that situation right about now. D:

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think I am still secretly hoping they will discount the Witcher after that crap they pulled...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm surprised they didn't do a TF2 weekend as well for the Engi update since I seem to remember them doing it for pretty much all the other class updates.

Guess it's a good thing though as the last thing the game needs right now is more people playing Engi. While 16 on 16 Engi war was entertaining last night I certainly don't want to do it all weekend long.

kal on
    camo_sig.png