Options

[Team Fortress 2] TF2Maps.net Art Pass Mapping Contest!

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Who was that medic who I kept leading on merry adventures every time he ubered me on Gorge last night?

That was me! Fun times.

Burnage on
  • Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've had a bad streak recently, but all shall be redeemed soon enough.

deveric on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hai can someone give me a synopsis of what happened during the Engy update? Unfortunately I am currently on a trip in hell with a 56k dialup connection and I can't load the TF site. I saw the golden wrenches and the frontier justice, and that is all. What have I missed?

Fun fact: in the time it took me to write this up, the page still hasn't loaded.

Funner fact: Toilets in the Middle East are at ground level, so I have been unable to take a shit for two weeks.

Best fact: It turns out 40 C is actually really fucking hot.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I suggest you shit before it kills you.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »

You don't even know man.

You don't fucking know.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    AzadIsCool wrote: »

You don't even know man.

You don't fucking know.

okay, go out, try to find a cheap wicker chair, then cut a hole in the bottom.

Problem solved.

edit: to be on topic: engineer now has a robot hand that replaces his sentry with a mini-sentry that can't be upgraded and is weaker, but builds 4x as fast.

he also has a little radar thing that lets him manually control his sentry, and it also gives the sentry a shield that reduces damage. The downside being that you can't heal it while you use it.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    3_eyed_weasel3_eyed_weasel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is that like something you learn in the army? I didn't think that was physically possible.

3_eyed_weasel on
    samorostsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Radar thing was to be expected, although those negatives are kind of weird.

Robot Hand is the worst fucking idea I have ever heard.

Overall, the engy update was terrible. I understand he is probably the hardest class to add weapons to, but Valve really messed up. With the Frontier Justice being the only exception, both of his weapons drastically change the class, which is not good. Robot Hand is making him and offensive class, and the radar does the exact opposite, making him have to camp with his sentry. The whole update just feels too disjointed.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Uh, drastically changing the class is what Valve is all about

so they pushed offensive engie

and they pushed defensive engie

I'm not seeing the problem here

It's not an 'equip all of the unlocks at once to be a completely different class' deal, you can mix and match

Jintor on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Overall, the engy update was terrible. I understand he is probably the hardest class to add weapons to, but Valve really messed up. With the Frontier Justice being the only exception, both of his weapons drastically change the class, which is not good. Robot Hand is making him and offensive class, and the radar does the exact opposite, making him have to camp with his sentry. The whole update just feels too disjointed.

Unlocks that change the nature of the class

It's like....it's like....it's like that's the point!!

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    That was the point of the update. Gunslinger makes the class actually fun for a number of us, while Wrangler throws a bone to normal engies.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    azad it plays really well

like, i like the robot hand so much i'm basically making it my go to pick for having fun in this game, rather than soldier

the wrangler is really good too

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

On the internet, you are wrong.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Ebo that made my day

excellent post is excellent

I am glad! :D

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Meh, personally I prefer when a weapon just increases one stat and lowers another, like the Natasha or the Direct Hit. I'll see how I feel about it when I come home and try it out.

Robot hand really is stupid though.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    wrong wrong wrong wrong

wrong wrong wrong wrong

you're wrong

you're wrong

Seriously, the Robot hand is great. Dash into a combat zone, drop a minisentry just outside where it won't be noticed, retreat for a bit, crit shotgun once it gets destroyed and has hopefully wracked up a few kills. Rinse/repeat. Loose the turtle engie mentality and you'll have a blast.

Jintor on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They changed entirely how the Demoman plays with the Chargin' Targe and Eyelander, I don't distinctly remember much complaining about that.

Huntera on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    he forgot to mention robot hand gives you +25 health and still lets you upgrade buildings, as well as having no crits unless you punch someone three times in a row

i don't think i've found anyone who dislikes it after playing with it

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I find it a real challenge to go back to my wrench, although luckily I have this fancy southern hospitality to play with instead

Jintor on
  • Options
    chiablochiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you don't like the engineer update, go play a different class! And seriously, why complain? It's not like you actually paid for any of this free content.

chiablo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fine

I do not deny it sounds cool, but it just feels weird for an old-time engy like me.

I was really hoping for a mech suit or something though.

E: Jesus Chiablo, stop playing the "you can't complain because it's free" card. It invalidates 80% of my posts on this thread

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh yes, because that wouldn't have changed his role at all : P

Jintor on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fine

I do not deny it sounds cool, but it just feels weird for an old-time engy like me.

And yet you say the robot hand is the worst idea you have ever heard?

Also, nothing beats sneaking up behind an engineer's sentry nest as he wrangles it and torching him along with the entire thing before the gun can come back online.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Oh yes, because that wouldn't have changed his role at all : P

But that would be offset by how awesome it would be.

Honestly, the engy teaser defintely looked like it was leading up to a mech suit.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I have read few opinions more wrong than this one.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well he's saying that without having actually playing it.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well he's saying that without having actually playing it.

I also blame his inability to take a crap. When he rectifies both, he will reach an epiphany and he will understand.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also, nothing beats sneaking up behind an engineer's sentry nest as he wrangles it and torching him along with the entire thing before the gun can come back online.

Yeah, I really feel they balanced the wrangler just right. That thing is punishing if you let yourself get within engineer range but it's so very distracting and it disables autoaim, giving you just enough window time to let you ambush sentry nests

Can you imagine doing that before?

/edit Shield might use a little tweaking but it's still early days to call a judgement on that

Jintor on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah I did it all the time.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well yeah but it required awesome positioning and/or a timely distraction

Jintor on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Gunslinger lets me do pretty much exactly what I've wanted to do about half of the time I play Engineer.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The biggest imbalance with the Engineer update (and indeed, something I knew would happen which is why I made my teleporter PDA suggestion the way I did, brag brag brag) is the ability of Engis to grab a Sentry the instant something that can kill it appears. Spot a demo uber coming? Grab the sentry and back off. DH soldier about to drop your sentry? Repeat. etc.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jintor wrote: »

Yeah, I really feel they balanced the wrangler just right. That thing is punishing if you let yourself get within engineer range but it's so very distracting and it disables autoaim, giving you just enough window time to let you ambush sentry nests

Can you imagine doing that before?

/edit Shield might use a little tweaking but it's still early days to call a judgement on that

The 3 second downtime has saved my ass many a time after cooking the engineer. I can't live without the flaregun now, it's so handy to pop an engy wrangling his gun then dashing past while he runs off to put out the flames.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    KarrilDaltayaKarrilDaltaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would like to join in on hating Icy. I hate you, Icy. Your spy always finds a way to kill me, 100%

I am probably a shitty engineer, but i am trying to learn to be a better one. I just started playing this game a couple days ago, and i play engineer main because it reminds me of my engineer in warhammer. I promise i will try and be better though.

KarrilDaltaya on
    In Honor of me beginning my Amarr Training...
    scarylaser2.gif
    Matst Ircar and Baron Weinerschnitzel in EvE.
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fine

E: Jesus Chiablo, stop playing the "you can't complain because it's free" card. It invalidates 80% of my posts on this thread

Are you complaining about the robot hand for changing the class while saying you wanted a mech suit

What

How the hell does the Robot hand change the class significantly?

Gumpy on
  • Options
    Koragi85Koragi85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Still considering whether or not to jump back into the fray w/ this update, or to wait a month or so to see if they nerf things so Im not disappointed if something sucks all of a sudden. Looks so fun though!

Koragi85 on
    "Why fight the body when you can dominate the mind that rules it?” -Jace Beleren
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like the Gunslinger because Baby Sentries are a joy to sap.

I like the Wrangler because Wrangling Engies are a joy to backstab.

I like the Frontier Justice because oh wait no there's no benefit as a spy for those

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Fine

Are you complaining about the robot hand for changing the class while saying you wanted a mech suit

What

How the hell does the Robot hand change the class significantly?

It makes the Engy class more offensive.

The Mech Suit was mostly a joke.

And yes, my inability to empty my colon is probably a contributing factor to my misperception of the Engy Update. It also may be contributing to the increasing discomfort in that said area. I need an American toilet plz.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Jintor, I want to say that your Scrubes reference did not go unnoticed :^:

Azad, just fucking squat and shit. Have you never been camping or something?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    everyone knows a class can only be defense, or offense. Cant switch. Thats silly. If you play engy, you HAVE to use the wrangler and gunslinger at the same time. You cant just use, yknow, one. Thats stupid.

What do you expect me to do, use my gunslinger to help ambush/overwhelm enemies on the front lines while i shoot them, then use the revenge crits to go on a spree?

Ugh, but what if I get on defense? Ill have to either build a normal sentry, and use the pistol, or maybe use the wrangler with a normal sentry for long range areas. AND WE ALL KNOW THAT WONT WORK

CangoFett on