Options

LIMBO: If you don't buy this on Steam, I will feed you to the spider

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i really, really didnt want to even have to ask for help, but I am so frusterated right now I want to punch something. If anyone can...I dunno...not help...but help...or just say if Im on the right track. My sanity needs it.

75% through or so.
    The part where there's a pully with a rope - and you have 2 gravity switches. I figured out that I can hit the lower one, causing it to come at my upside down, and then switch gravity - causing it to slow because of momentum, and grab the rope. Great, puzzle solved.

But the next part I have no fucking clue. Its not even a puzzle. Its a fucking rooftop, that slides to NOTHING, with NOTHING to grab on to (except some rope that is apparently in the foreground and not grabbable), and a saw blade floating out in nowhere. Im sure you know what part by now.

Ive tried everything. The way the checkpoint is BEFORE the gravity lift thing, and the spikes at the end of the pulley make me feel the pulley is still SOMEHOW involved in this...but I dont even know where Im headed. I see an arrow that shows me to go right - but there's NOTHING. NOTHING to grab. Nothing to go to. Jumping off the slope does nothing. I tried to swing and use the momentum from the rope to land on the rooftop slope, so I have high speed going into the slide - my current strategy - and 50% of the time I die AS I hit the roof from the fall off the pulley, and when he sticks the landing I have enough momentum to hit the saw blade and die.

I have no clue what to do now. Am I correct the pulley is still involved? Is my jump to the slide correct and Im just off a pixel? Am I missing something entirely?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    i really, really didnt want to even have to ask for help, but I am so frusterated right now I want to punch something. If anyone can...I dunno...not help...but help...or just say if Im on the right track. My sanity needs it.

75% through or so.
    The part where there's a pully with a rope - and you have 2 gravity switches. I figured out that I can hit the lower one, causing it to come at my upside down, and then switch gravity - causing it to slow because of momentum, and grab the rope. Great, puzzle solved.

But the next part I have no fucking clue. Its not even a puzzle. Its a fucking rooftop, that slides to NOTHING, with NOTHING to grab on to (except some rope that is apparently in the foreground and not grabbable), and a saw blade floating out in nowhere. Im sure you know what part by now.

Ive tried everything. The way the checkpoint is BEFORE the gravity lift thing, and the spikes at the end of the pulley make me feel the pulley is still SOMEHOW involved in this...but I dont even know where Im headed. I see an arrow that shows me to go right - but there's NOTHING. NOTHING to grab. Nothing to go to. Jumping off the slope does nothing. I tried to swing and use the momentum from the rope to land on the rooftop slope, so I have high speed going into the slide - my current strategy - and 50% of the time I die AS I hit the roof from the fall off the pulley, and when he sticks the landing I have enough momentum to hit the saw blade and die.

I have no clue what to do now. Am I correct the pulley is still involved? Is my jump to the slide correct and Im just off a pixel? Am I missing something entirely?
    that "arrow to go right" looks familiar, doesn't it?

full answer below:
    the arrow is a gravity switch

hit it in midair

Rust on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rent - please PM me your full name so I can name all my children after you.

Thank you so fucking much.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I'M NOT RENT

*sob*

but no problem, that one seems to trip up a lot of people

i caught it on my first try, i have no idea how

maybe i'd entered some kind of zen state where i intuitively grasped all the platforming mysteries of the universe for that one moment

Rust on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well it took me all of 15 minutes to die 5 times. Man, I'm never going to get that achievement.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well now I'm an ass. I will name my children all RUST THE MAGNIFICENT.
    I saw a short "R" name and jail and automatically thought Rent =)

mxmarks on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    maybe if you weren't both jailed all the time

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    maybe if you weren't both jailed all the time

well why does no one ever confuse him for me? it's always the other way around!

you can't possibly say that i don't leave more of an impression on people, with my roguish charm and unfailing good cheer

Rust on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Holy shit Rust you just helped me beat the game.

Game complete.

I want to discuss the ending in great detail, but right now its beer time with some friends.

But like it or hate it -

That ending gave me legit goosebumps.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rust wrote: »

I'M NOT RENT

It was really confusing when you and rent were discussing the ending.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Played through Limbo today. I have mixed feelings on the experience. The further into the game I went, the worse the puzzles were. Not worse as in more challenging, but worse as in cheap. The last few gravity puzzles in particular. I do not like "Die until you get it right" puzzles, where your failure is not due to a lack of understanding the sequence but rather as the result of the controls requiring you to be precise to the point where your success comes down to luck as much as anything else.

The puzzle that most annoyed me was the
    zip line to downhill slide to mid-air activation of the gravity trap to being chased by the buzzsaw on the HOTEL sign to activating the second gravity trap to timed jumps down the sign. So many aspects of that sequence sucked.

I really liked the art direction, though. And the soundtrack, if you could call it that. I think the game was worth the time to complete and was worth the price. I can't believe people are bitching about the price. Actually, I can believe it. But what I can't believe is that they're bitching about the price when certain "AAA" $60 titles are pretty goddamned vapid in comparison. SC: Conviction, I'm looking at you. Bitch.

Regarding the setting of the game
    I'm not sure if the game took place literally in limbo, as in purgatory, or if it took place on Earth during a post nuclear holocaust. There were plenty of signs of both.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm on the bit just after
    the Hotel sign

and my god how much do I hate the
    mindworms/brainwashingbulbs

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Question

Do I need gold membership to download games like this, as mine ran out a few weeks ago, but I want Limbo badly

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Question

Do I need gold membership to download games like this, as mine ran out a few weeks ago, but I want Limbo badly

Nope

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    So I want to give this game a go, but from what I've heard it's just not worth 1200 points. I might wait until they do another XBLA sale and it goes to 800, or even 400 would be better.
    Do the Braid test. If you were angry/satisfied when you finished Braid, you will be angry/satisfied with Limbo.
    I should play Braid then, it sounds like I'll love the fuck out of it.

Glal on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    So I want to give this game a go, but from what I've heard it's just not worth 1200 points. I might wait until they do another XBLA sale and it goes to 800, or even 400 would be better.
    Do the Braid test. If you were angry/satisfied when you finished Braid, you will be angry/satisfied with Limbo.

Anyone who does not love Braid does not have a soul. This is scientifically proven.

twmjr on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    twmjr wrote: »

Anyone who does not love Braid does not have a soul. This is scientifically proven.

I only liked it. Do I have no soul or just a little one that has atrophied from lack of use?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    twmjr wrote: »

I only liked it. Do I have no soul or just a little one that has atrophied from lack of use?

I've tried twice to play Braid, and I just can't do it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally took the dive for it this morning. Beat it in a bout 3 hours and 20 minutes.
    The title screen is extremely creepy now that I realize that the flies are hovering over the cadavers of the boy and his sister. Oh god.

Was going to work my way back to look at some spoilers but I'm afraid of stumbling on the mentioned Inception spoilers too.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Finally took the dive for it this morning. Beat it in a bout 3 hours and 20 minutes.
    The title screen is extremely creepy now that I realize that the flies are hovering over the cadavers of the boy and his sister. Oh god.

Was going to work my way back to look at some spoilers but I'm afraid of stumbling on the mentioned Inception spoilers too.

they didn't spoil anything important

Rust on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

they didn't spoil anything important

I dunno.

INCEPTION SPOILERS DO NOT READ
    I was spoiled that there was a cut-to-black at the end, so I wasn't surprised at all by it like my friends were, that was a bummer.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow

This game really fell apart at the end

Still good overall, but wish it could have kept that momentum

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So is limbo the same game trailer I saw like three years ago which was a silhoutte of a boy jumping around in a silhoutte world?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So is limbo the same game trailer I saw like three years ago which was a silhoutte of a boy jumping around in a silhoutte world?

yes

Rust on
  • Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Probably.

Anyone read anything about which traps/puzzles are the most common to get stuck on? I always find that stuff interesting.

SmallCaveGames on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The
    minecart/electric floor

stands out to me as the most common sticking point.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    The
    minecart/electric floor

i see the
    pulley/sideways gravity switch

breaking people a lot more often, but for me it was the
    elevator/gravity floor/two boxes puzzle near the end

Rust on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah that one had me for a while too, rust

i think i actually beat it by accidentally using a physics glitch, and the second box flung me about forty feet up and to the left.

i was like "huh. i'll take it."

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    The
    minecart/electric floor

i see the
    pulley/sideways gravity switch

breaking people a lot more often...

I mentioned my list of tough puzzles a little while back, but I take some comfort in the fact that this is the one I see constantly listed.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah thats the only one I needed help on.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    Jimmy5150Jimmy5150 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    just finished this a while ago...combing through the thread for theories on the ending is making a second playthrough tonight very likely. Also, I am kind of thinking of going for the <5 deaths achievement, but I have a feeling I will give up on that pretty quickly.

Jimmy5150 on

jimmy5150-wide.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My short term memory is failing me, but the sign looked different to the regular gravity switches, didn't it? I just thought it was a damn signpost.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My short term memory is failing me, but the sign looked different to the regular gravity switches, didn't it? I just thought it was a damn signpost.
    Someone said it earlier in the thread, but it was mostly that it was A) sideways, and B) in midair, both of which were new concepts. I have to admit, I had to look it up as well.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, true.

Also, new thread title suggestion:
    Limbo: Walk without rhythm, and it won't attract the worm

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How about:
    Limbo: Walk without rhythm, and it won't attract the GIANT SPIDER

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game is fantastic. Reminds me a lot of Heart of Darkness in a really good way.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So when my little brother was playing this, he made some comment that I told him was wrong...but now after the ending I think he may have accidentally been right...
    He kept dying at the spider, and the spider was stabbing him. Right after the spider re-appears and chases you down. The spider has a dead body already on his leg, and my brother must have not noticed it the first time.

His second or third attempt, he goes "Hah - its like Im dead twice! The spider still has my body on his leg from the first time!"

I told him no, that was one of the boys from earlier.

What if it wasnt? What if all the bodies are YOU, just earlier incarnations? What if you're the one whos been populating Limbo...forever?

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So when my little brother was playing this, he made some comment that I told him was wrong...but now after the ending I think he may have accidentally been right...
    He kept dying at the spider, and the spider was stabbing him. Right after the spider re-appears and chases you down. The spider has a dead body already on his leg, and my brother must have not noticed it the first time.

His second or third attempt, he goes "Hah - its like Im dead twice! The spider still has my body on his leg from the first time!"

What if it wasnt? What if all the bodies are YOU, just earlier incarnations? What if you're the one whos been populating Limbo...forever?

probably not
    some of the natives are much taller/older than the kid, and you see a few of them committing suicide as you go through the game

there's probably no significance to the natives' presence, i think they were just there for atmosphere and as a way to set up a few last traps before the forest runs out of ideas

Rust on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

probably not
    some of the natives are much taller/older than the kid, and you see a few of them committing suicide as you go through the game

there's probably no significance to the natives' presence, i think they were just there for atmosphere and as a way to set up a few last traps before the forest runs out of ideas

Or maybe
    the boy sometimes survives all the traps, and nothing happens. He's still in limbo. He grows up, gets older - but has no purpose. So maybe he just lives there. And other incarnations of himself decide to hang themseleves every so often, because there's just no end.

I just love the way that you never fully "get it" until the actual title screen re-appears after beating it. And how you can literally just begin again. There's never a resolution - it just is a cycle that continues forever.

I'd love it if somehow there was some easter egg that if you did the impossible - and managed to beat the game without dying - the boy would 'age' and be a little older your next playthrough.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

probably not

Or maybe
    the boy sometimes survives all the traps, and nothing happens. He's still in limbo. He grows up, gets older - but has no purpose. So maybe he just lives there. And other incarnations of himself decide to hang themseleves every so often, because there's just no end.

I just love the way that you never fully "get it" until the actual title screen re-appears after beating it. And how you can literally just begin again. There's never a resolution - it just is a cycle that continues forever.

I'd love it if somehow there was some easter egg that if you did the impossible - and managed to beat the game without dying - the boy would 'age' and be a little older your next playthrough.
    but if the natives were his reincarnations, then wouldn't there be only one of them at a time? you usually see them in groups

Rust on