Options

New Comic 7-28-10: Blood and Oil, Part 3

• Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Carl's eyes switching colors and being a camera is so cool

Why can't we have robots like Carl, instead of creepy japanese robots that look like women

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bombcar wrote: »
    He done been killed by a robot who supports prohibition. I call it now.

But does he support it due to personal beliefs, or has he been reprogrammed?

He wants all other smart robots to have their mental facilities shut down so that he alone is the smartest robot.

If we outlaw smart robots, only criminals will have smart robots!

piL on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    why is carl's neck doing that?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gwhitta wrote: »
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds Tilted Carl particularly funny?

Like a puppy thinking!
    That's kinda what the idea was based on, more specifically the way dogs cock their heads when listening to high-frequency sounds that humans can't hear - in this case Carl accessing information over wifi.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

He was programmed to. Some assistant VP of whatever got ahold of some sketchy statistics that showed that people would be more accepting of automata if they demonstrated "cute" mannerisms reminiscent of domesticated animals. Especially for the Swangee man line, each which of course "Knows his place."

Marketing interfering with the engineers' jobs yet again.

Seriously on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I imagine a noise like an old parking meter when Carl tilts his head and then a "ding" as he snaps it back straight

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe it's cause I didn't care too much about Lookouts (I voted for Automata, btw) but I am quite enthralled with this arc. We had the weird art stuff last time, with the arms switching and actions being unclear, but this time I like seeing the partnership between Carl and Regal grow. Well, as much as a relationship between a robot and a human can grow, buddy cops as they may be.

Also, that last play on words ("America?" "Automata") just makes me think that it is pronounced Aw-TOM-i-ta and not at all like aw-toe-mat-ah (Automatic). Even though Gabe and Tycho seem to think otherwise.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is absolutely wonderful.

And great.

And I am so happy.

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seriously wrote: »

He was programmed to. Some assistant VP of whatever got ahold of some sketchy statistics that showed that people would be more accepting of automata if they demonstrated "cute" mannerisms reminiscent of domesticated animals. Especially for the Swangee man line, each which of course "Knows his place."

Marketing interfering with the engineers' jobs yet again.

actually i was thinking Carl has an antenna problem. you know, like an iPhone.

he can get a signal, but he has to hold his head juuuuuust right, and if he loses bars, it's totally his fault.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    bombcar wrote: »
    He done been killed by a robot who supports prohibition. I call it now.

But does he support it due to personal beliefs, or has he been reprogrammed?

I doubt that. I think it's much more likely to be a robot that was jealous that the senator was sleeping with his girlfriend, and his display of emotion is exactly what's needed to reinforce the prohibition act despite proving that they're more human than it might appear.

Shame then, since this appears to be a prequel. All we know so far is that this will somehow end before or up to Carl being one of the few licensed robots left, which the whole Claptraps thing. Sort of a "Doomed By Canon" thing, for you TVTropes fans.

Basically, there will be no justice. At least not yet.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fantastic.

I just want more than 5 of these.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    People should also pay special attention to the Lyric at the end of Tycho's post today.

Because that is a great song.

If you haven't heard it;

Also brilliant comic is brilliant.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this comic is definitely awesome. robot-noir with a little CSI and political intrigue? hell yes.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I enjoy Carl, and I enjoy just how incredibly useful a robot is for a policeman for anyone with the eyes to see it.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    People should also pay special attention to the Lyric at the end of Tycho's post today.

If you haven't heard it;

Actually he was pimping that band on Twitter the other day. I also dug that I Am Jen song he put in the last newspost.

Apparently Tycho has a "listen to everything, find something positive in everything" mentality with music. He reneged on Paramore, remember? I wish I was as accepting.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I loved this; then hated it.

Loved it, because the plot and story picked up and grabbed me and made me interested in where this arc was going.

This was followed by the crushing despair of realising there were only a couple more pages left to run and would conclude abruptly, or without full resolution. This really needs to be 20 pages, not 5. There's easily enough here to sink some teeth into, and I'd love to see it played out.

In short, good job, guys.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fishman wrote: »
    I loved this; then hated it.

Loved it, because the plot and story picked up and grabbed me and made me interested in where this arc was going.

This was followed by the crushing despair of realising there were only a couple more pages left to run and would conclude abruptly, or without full resolution. This really needs to be 20 pages, not 5. There's easily enough here to sink some teeth into, and I'd love to see it played out.

In short, good job, guys.

Why you gotta pick me up, buttercup baby, just to break me down...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is just brilliant. I'm loving these strips. The writing is great and I'm really digging the art.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

If you haven't heard it;

Oh I am certainly enjoying this

Straightzi on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't stop this

set up another site dedicated to it and keep it rollin'

Also tilt-head Carl hahaha

Kazaka on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want an Automata animated series. Or a live-action with CG movie.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    gwhittagwhitta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks to everyone who posted that they are enjoying the comic; really glad to see it's being well received :)

gwhitta on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i love camera-carl

klik klik

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    seriously, if this could become a regular thing on its own site that would be pretty fucking cool

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy shit this is awesome.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm enjoying this more than gave and tychos automata

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2010
    Holy crap, this is fantastic.

A duck! on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this owns

Fuga on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mike and Jerry: your professional deeds are legendary, and your personal accomplishments are, to me, heroic.

So know that I mean you no disrespect when I say that I feel like I should be paying for this shit.

Ben and Gary are killing it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Amazing, this is what I want. Exactly what I want. And as you can tell from my av/sig, I have been wanting this for quite some time. Thanks for delivering.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    These comics are incredible

I've written and deleted like ten different sentences here trying to find the right way to say just how incredible, but I can't find the words.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2010
    This is absurdly good

Tube on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is incredible.

Gwhitta, well done. And tell Ben he's doing incredible work here.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like that Swangee Men come programmed with different eye colorizations based on their functions:

Blue for normal purposes.
    Red for error.
    Purple for camera.
    Green for processing/wi-fi.

It'll be neat to see what other combinations they can come up with. I'm very intrigued by the Automata mythos and canon, nascent as it is.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man

This is some, fantastic noir shit.

Gabe & Tycho should let these dudes do this all the time like on their own offshoot website.

Blake T on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is really fantastic and I'm enjoying it immensely. I love how Carl has his head cocked (presumably to get a better signal or something?), adds quite a lot of personality and the first frame is delicious.

It's such a shame we only get two more :(

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    THIS IS SHIT I HATE IT

nah just kidding it's awesome

L|ama on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gwhitta wrote: »
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds Tilted Carl particularly funny?

Like a puppy thinking!
    That's kinda what the idea was based on, more specifically the way dogs cock their heads when listening to high-frequency sounds that humans can't hear - in this case Carl accessing information over wifi.

oh my god, this is so awesome.

Langly on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe it's cause I didn't care too much about Lookouts (I voted for Automata, btw) but I am quite enthralled with this arc. We had the weird art stuff last time, with the arms switching and actions being unclear, but this time I like seeing the partnership between Carl and Regal grow. Well, as much as a relationship between a robot and a human can grow, buddy cops as they may be.

Also, that last play on words ("America?" "Automata") just makes me think that it is pronounced Aw-TOM-i-ta and not at all like aw-toe-mat-ah (Automatic). Even though Gabe and Tycho seem to think otherwise.

Uh... that is how "Automata" (and it's singular, automaton) have always been pronounced.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oddly enough, I voted for Lookouts, but I seem to prefer the stories of Automata.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
This discussion has been closed.