Options

Scott Pilgrim: TAG ALL BOOK 6 SPOILERS!

• Options
    Autobobby1Autobobby1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, the dev team said they were going to wait and see how it did on PSN and XBLA before considering ports.

Of course, would only work on Steam if they added online play. For the record, if they added online play I would buy it a second time.

Autobobby1 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I noticed that they're released a bundle of the Scott Pilgrim Odds & Ends stuff. Might grab that later this week when it releases along with the poster.

I also regret not grabbing the plush set when I had the chance. Sold Out, all of 'em.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's kind of discouraging to watch more and more reviews coming in that slam the movie. (Like, some are in the 1 for 5 stars territory.) I haven't seen it yet, but I'm fairly certain that I'm going to love this movie, and I want it to be successful.

On the other hand, I've quickly learned to read, "[Scott] Pilgrim is a lazy reference to Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five, OBVIOUSLY" as shorthand for "Stop reading any of my future reviews, for I am too old to get your generation and think I am far cleverer than I really am."

Seriously, like three reviewers have "caught" that "reference" so far. What gives?

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's kind of discouraging to watch more and more reviews coming in that slam the movie. (Like, some are in the 1 for 5 stars territory.) I haven't seen it yet, but I'm fairly certain that I'm going to love this movie, and I want it to be successful.

On the other hand, I've quickly learned to read, "[Scott] Pilgrim is a lazy reference to Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five, obviously" as shorthand for "Stop reading any of my future reviews, for I am too old to get your generation and think I am far cleverer than I really am."

Seriously, like three reviewers have "caught" that "reference" so far. What gives?

I've read every negative review on the movie so far, and they all seem to boil down to "those darn kids are making a fanciful movie about vidja games, what gives?"

I learned to discount their opinion. Also, the movie is still up in the 75% range or so on Rotten tomatoes, which is still pretty good.

I think that the people the movie speaks to will go see it no matter what the reviews say. The Last Airbender made how much money in the box office, again?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

On the other hand, I've quickly learned to read, "[Scott] Pilgrim is a lazy reference to Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five, OBVIOUSLY" as shorthand for "Stop reading any of my future reviews, for I am too old to get your generation and think I am far cleverer than I really am."

Guessing this is one you're referring to

http://www.colesmithey.com/reviews/2010/08/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-.html

Read some of his other reviews, though

And look at his picture

The guy is a total douchewad

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kirk Honeycutt made a few douche-tastic quips connecting Scott Pilgrim to Vonnegut as well.

I think I remember reading another review that did the same thing but I can't find it now

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Looks like someone got a thesaurus and a website domain name for their birthday.

Autobobby1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

And look at his picture

At the very top of his website reads

"THE SMARTEST FILM CRITIC IN THE WORLD"

So right away that tells me he's a smarmy douche that's full of himself.

And then I don't really need to read any more on the page.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

You know what it comes down to?

BLO'M approves of the film.

So it's good.

Case closed.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All you have to do is read Joss Whedon's quote on the back of Volume 6, and that should be a good enough sign of how great the movie will be. It has Joss Whedon's approval, what else do you want?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eh, to be honest I don't think it matters much how critics receive the film, and I say that as someone who writes movie reviews myself.

What's really going to determine how successful this film is is how much money it makes at the box office. That's pretty much all the studio cares about anyway.

I'm still fairly optimistic, most of the reviews I've read about Scott Pilgrim have been good so far anyway.

BigBear on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://www.slashfilm.com/live/

Edgar Wright is doing a live interview right now.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Were you guys listening? Because Edgar was about to say he loves everyone in the chat right before he got cut off.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

And look at his picture

This is not a movie for people over 30.

Case closed.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Case closed.

Hey, some of us have taste!

Really, though, most of the video games directly referenced in the series were probably played by folks currently in their 30s. I was 9 when the original Legend of Zelda came out.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

And look at his picture

Case closed.

I am over 30 and I had more fun watching Scott Pilgrim than I had watching almost any other movie I can think of in years.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The thing to nail this movie for is whether or not it's actually entertaining and you care about the characters, not some hipster bullshit referencing tail chasing.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Case closed.

Again, my mom is 51 and to her Scott Pilgrim > Eat Pray Love. It's not all about age.
    mrt144 wrote:
    The thing to nail this movie for is whether or not it's actually entertaining and you care about the characters, not some hipster bullshit referencing tail chasing.

It kind of bugs me that people make such a big deal out of the video game references. I mean, I love the references, but to me the star of the series/movie is the writing. The characters are easy to relate to and mostly memorable (sure, side characters like Julie are forgettable but all of the main characters are great), and the humor is top-notch all the time. I can't even count the number of hilarious quotes there are in those books.

Autobobby1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Autobobby1 wrote: »

Case closed.

Again, my mom is 51 and to her Scott Pilgrim > Eat Pray Love. It's not all about age.

It's not an absolute, but he has a point - there's a much higher chance of generational disconnect the older you go, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that older viewers may not get/enjoy the film.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'm actually expecting that quite a bit. Thankfully there are a crapton of people under the age of 30 so we shouldn't be too worried.

Also, thought you guys would like to know that Kieran Culkin is going to be on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight. 12:35 EST.

Autobobby1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Case closed.

People under 30 only like throw away movies? Do you really want to paint yourself into that corner?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aubrey Plaza is going to be on Jay Leno in a few minutes and then Kieran Culkin is going to be on with Jimmy Fallon.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    MarioG wrote: »
    Aubrey Plaza is going to be on Jay Leno in a few minutes and then Kieran Culkin is going to be on with Jimmy Fallon.

Not even this could make me watch Leno or Fallon

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not fond of Leno but I like Fallon. And just c'mon, I gotta suport this cast in every way I can.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not fond of Leno but I like Fallon. And just c'mon, I gotta suport this cast in every way I can.

Why?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I still say Aubrey Plaza sounds like a location

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Because I'm a big fan of what they're working in.

edit: It really does.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Unfortunately it appears that I can't download the game early just for getting a download code from preordering.

Autobobby1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Unfortunately it appears that I can't download the game early just for getting a download code from preordering.

Then we wait.

Also, the band on Leno played Scott Pilgrim as Plaza walked in.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Just so you guys don't get too bummed

You know you still have like a good 16 hours or so, at least, before the PS Store updates, right?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Because I'm a big fan of what they're working in.

edit: It really does.

You're acting like a goddamn Twilight fan.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That was a funny clip they just played. It was naturally about Julie since it's Plaza's character. So we're probably gonna see a Wallace clip on Fallon. You guys might wanna check that out.

edit: mrt I think you're getting a little hotheaded for a silly reason. I like a movie. These people are in the movie. I want to hear them talk about the movie. Simple concept.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I imagine a goddamn Twilight fan would act like they're really into Twilight

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

You know you still have like a good 16 hours or so, at least, before the PS Store updates, right?

Oh, I know that from experience. I was just hoping that the download code was valid as soon as it became August 10 and that the store update just put up links to content that was already on the servers.

Autobobby1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Oh, I know that from experience. I was just hoping that the download code was valid as soon as it became August 10 and that the store update just put up links to content that was already on the servers.

I was too. If I have learned anything from PS Store updates is that it updates the latest when I am waiting for it.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I wish it was more like Nintendo and they always updated by noon EST. Stupid PSN often doesn't update until like 6 or 7.

Autobobby1 on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder why the even advertise a Tuesday release when, for all purposes, it's damn near Wednesday when it actually does get released.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Plumtree are a nice bunch of girls

I bought the Mass Teen Fainting shirt from their site towards the end of June, and it didn't show up for over a month. Got multiple e-mail responses from different members of the band, and then they asked if they could send another one in the mail since it was apparent the first one was lost. They'd just have to wait till more shirts were available. They'd even throw in a couple of their albums. So I said sure, and then the next day my shirt finally arrived. So I e-mailed them back and let them know it finally showed up.

Today I got another e-mail from them:
    Hello Anthony,

It's Catriona, from Plumtree. We have a new shipment of Plumtree shirts available. They are Ringer Ts and look more the shirt that Michael Cera wears in the movie. We can ship one of these to you right away! As our way of making the long wait on your shipment up to you. Unfortunately we've had trouble getting the ones we were selling earlier made, so if you didn't want this ringer version we can refund your money for the shirt you previously ordered instead.

Please reply to this email to let us know if you'd still like to go ahead with this shirt order, and we will have it shipped to you as soon as we hear from you along with a copy of PPTF and the new SISTER EP.

Thanks for your patience - we appreciate it! Just let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a picture of the new shirt (note: it doesn't say "Mass Teen Fainting on the back" but is a custom made, red-ringer tshirt to match the Scott Pilgrim movie shirt)

*There's a pic of Cera here in the e-mail

Awesome

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bought the game off the Ubi site. Got a dollar off with a coupon code, but tax brought it back up to about 10 bucks anyway. First digital download ever.

Anyway, any Canadians wanna answer my query on whether or not Amazon.CA really uses messengers like Ramona instead of whatever you guys have for mail service up there?

edit: Also, that is a pretty cool story with Plumtree. I know it sounds petty but I guess I should check them out cause their name was on a shirt in a comic I like.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00