As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Or it could just be that JE Sawyer was working on FO3 for a long time before AP wrapped up, and similarly the MotB team has also been working on DS3 for what, 2 years now?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Or it could just be that JE Sawyer was working on FO3 for a long time before AP wrapped up, and similarly the MotB team has also been working on DS3 for what, 2 years now?

I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Just because Josh Sawyer and the MotB team have been working on other games for years, that doesn't explain why Chris Sawyer (and the other Obsidian big wig, Feargus) have been removed from the actual game development. Seems to me Obsidian have learnt from their mistakes with AP and have made sure those two can't abuse their power. Hence why Rich Taylor is the project director on Dungeon Seige 3 instead of Feargus.

Also, I doubt New Vegas (not FO3) has been in development for that long. I'm guessing a significant number of the team came straight across from the Alien RPG team when it was canned.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    At the moment, we have four project directors - one from design (Josh Sawyer), another from design (me), one from programming (Rich Taylor), and one from art (Zane Lyon). In the past, Project Directors have been from production (Feargus on DS3, Chris Parker on AP), and sometimes the Project Director on a project is instead the Lead Producer (Kevin Saunders on Mask of the Betrayer).

Interesting. So I think we can assume by Chris Parker not being mentioned as a project director, he's suffered the consequences of fucking up Alpha Protocol? Smart move.

I don't think Chris Parker "fucked up" Alpha Protocol. The only indication we have of that is "Random comment on news site". Which could be just as much from a disgrunteld employee who complains because they didn't use his shitty idea. I don't think anyone (really) fucked up Alpha Protocol.

Read this:

http://www.squareenixmusic.com/features/insight/alphaprotocol.shtml

Edit: Hell, it's more probable that Avellone is at fault in terms of gameplay decisions. Nobody praises the Planescape combat either.

Edit2: Also, Faergus is Boss. I don't blame him for anything. (Even if they got publisher fucked. At least they made money. In contrast to Troika)

Edit3: Oh yeah, the best fact is: Random internet comment post was on every fucking news site in the world. Perfectly written Dev Diary by former employee with trustworthy source. How many? 0! Not on ONE fucking newspage despite that it was posted also in the offical Alpha Protocol Forum. Obsidian Hate at its finest.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Just because Josh Sawyer and the MotB team have been working on other games for years, that doesn't explain why Chris Sawyer (and the other Obsidian big wig, Feargus) have been removed from the actual game development. Seems to me Obsidian have learnt from their mistakes with AP and have made sure those two can't abuse their power. Hence why Rich Taylor is the project director on Dungeon Seige 3 instead of Feargus.

Also, I doubt New Vegas (not FO3) has been in development for that long. I'm guessing a significant number of the team came straight across from the Alien RPG team when it was canned.

Yeah when Aliens was canceled, which was like what, a year before AP was wrapped up around the time of the 6 month delay? Even if that joystick comment about poor leadership was right, it would be incredibly silly to install new people in major development roles halfway through a project. I'm not saying that they stopped contributing, just that they're probably on a game earlier in it's development cycle.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    At the moment, we have four project directors - one from design (Josh Sawyer), another from design (me), one from programming (Rich Taylor), and one from art (Zane Lyon). In the past, Project Directors have been from production (Feargus on DS3, Chris Parker on AP), and sometimes the Project Director on a project is instead the Lead Producer (Kevin Saunders on Mask of the Betrayer).

Interesting. So I think we can assume by Chris Parker not being mentioned as a project director, he's suffered the consequences of fucking up Alpha Protocol? Smart move.

I don't think Chris Parker "fucked up" Alpha Protocol. The only indication we have of that is "Random comment on news site". Which could be just as much from a disgrunteld employee who complains because they didn't use his shitty idea. I don't think anyone (really) fucked up Alpha Protocol.

Read this:

Edit: Hell, it's more probable that Avellone is at fault in terms of gameplay decisions. Nobody praises the Planescape combat either.

Edit2: Also, Faergus is Boss. I don't blame him for anything. (Even if they got publisher fucked. At least they made money. In contrast to Troika)

You mean except for the fact that Avellone himself said that he wasn't on Alpha Protocol until the project was already 2 years into development and at that point in development hell? Maybe Chris Parker wasn't responsible but someone must've been. And yes, it clearly was fucked up at some point, otherwise it wouldn't have been in development hell. Avellone and Obsidian still managed to get a pretty decent game out of it but at that point they were swimming against the tide.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Read this:

You mean except for the fact that Avellone himself said that he wasn't on Alpha Protocol until the project was already 2 years into development and at that point in development hell? Maybe Chris Parker wasn't responsible but someone must've been. And yes, it clearly was fucked up at some point, otherwise it wouldn't have been in development hell. Avellone and Obsidian still managed to get a pretty decent game out of it but at that point they were swimming against the tide.

Mitsoda lead 2 projects back then: Aliens and Alpha Protocol. SEGA fucked around and sent Alpha Protocol into development hell for the time beeing. Then came back cancelling Aliens. Mitsoda was fucking angry (and anyway didn't seem to fit too well into Obsidian) Left. Avellone and co rewrite of the story and stuff.

Blame SEGA. If anyone fucked up the most, they did.

C2B on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pfft, if blaming Sega did anything they wouldn't be around anymore.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm just glad Steve is on my side, that crazy bastard *salutes*
    He's not on your side any more. :P

I would ask and be angry if that was a spoiler about him betraying me, but im playing a spy 'thriller'. It would be more of a surprise to me if all my contacts didn't turn on me at some point :P

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You say that like he was ever on your side.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I would ask and be angry if that was a spoiler about him betraying me, but im playing a spy 'thriller'. It would be more of a surprise to me if all my contacts didn't turn on me at some point :P
    It's... sort of a spoiler, but not a big one. Don't worry.
    Finish Taipei and you'll see what I mean.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I've finished the game and read your spoiler and I'm still not sure what the heck you mean. o_O

Regardless, probably best if we drop this before something big actually IS spoiled.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I guess it depends on your playthrough style.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Edit3: Oh yeah, the best fact is: Random internet comment post was on every fucking news site in the world. Perfectly written Dev Diary by former employee with trustworthy source. How many? 0! Not on ONE fucking newspage despite that it was posted also in the offical Alpha Protocol Forum. Obsidian Hate at its finest.

Are you serious? One is a long article mostly about sound design, the other is an brief comment full of behind-the-scenes drama. 100 times out of 100 the one will outsell the other, regardless of company in question.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not one time have I been able to get on Heck's bad side. I just don't have it in me to not be a crazy sarcastic, conspiracy buff around him.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just to clarify, by 'on my side', I mean not shooting directley at me at this moment in time.

I love his chatter

Mike: Steve, do you copy?
    Heck: Like a floppy! Wassup?

He's teetering on complete douchebag, but has just enough sheer insanity to not make me hate him. We shall see what happens when I reach the end of Taipei though.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »

I've finished the game and read your spoiler and I'm still not sure what the heck you mean. o_O

Regardless, probably best if we drop this before something big actually IS spoiled.

It's simpler than you think.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Are you serious? One is a long article mostly about sound design, the other is an brief comment full of behind-the-scenes drama. 100 times out of 100 the one will outsell the other, regardless of company in question.

I am. I also understand that. The problem here is that said article contradicts the comment in nearly every way. Why this wasn't even mentioned is my question.

(Take it as mourning. The image damage Obsidian took here was big.)

C2B on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    and the Freakazoid reference was very unexpected :D
    Wait, what was this? The only problem with a game like this is it's way too hard to see everything by yourself D:

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EightBladeEightBlade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One thing I hated about this game was the emails.

I play on a tiny ass TV, so it was literally impossible to read half of them.

EightBlade on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I am. I also understand that. The problem here is that said article contradicts the comment in nearly every way. Why this wasn't even mentioned is my question.

(Take it as mourning. The image damage Obsidian took here was big.)

Hey I got a question in his comments he says:
    Now for the details. I feel Alpha Protocol was and is a very well done product, just with a few bumps along the way. People ravage even slightly dated graphics with all the ferocity of a pack of ravenous wolves expecting roast pheasant for every meal. Given that it was the company's first console product quite a few lessons were learned.

wasn't KOTR2 there first console product? What am I missing?

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    wasn't KOTR2 there first console product? What am I missing?

It was. He overlooked that though. Probably since he was hired long after KOTOR2 was released.

He probably got that a little wrong anyway since the console versions have less bugs than the pc version.

http://alphaprotocol.wikia.com/wiki/Bugs

C2B on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Half of those bugs are all related to the same reloading last checkpoint one. And I'm really not sure about their methodology for their claims the sights are off

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Half of those bugs are all related to the same reloading last checkpoint one. And I'm really not sure about their methodology for their claims the sights are off

Well, most of the bugs (apart from UE3 typical problems like falling through floor, texture loading and stuck on geometry) ARE related to the checkpoint system.

C2B on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had a lot of problems with the menus in Alpha Protocol on the PC

Sometimes they'd just flip out and I wouldn't select the thing I'd want

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i did notice in the weapon screen that the actively clickable part of first slot, the barrel wouldn't line up with the icon exactly so if you clicked too high on the barrel it would open the model select

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i did notice in the weapon screen that the actively clickable part of first slot, the barrel wouldn't line up with the icon exactly so if you clicked too high on the barrel it would open the model select

That's a beef I can really understand.

Worst part is... A 360 controller fixes it. Well it's not the worst part but clearly a sign that the pc version wasn't QA'd as it should.

C2B on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I had a lot of problems with the menus in Alpha Protocol on the PC

Sometimes they'd just flip out and I wouldn't select the thing I'd want

Yeah, this happened to me regularly. In my case the highlight was slightly off-center of the actual button and I couldn't select anything for a few seconds. Had to shake the mouse around to knock it back. That aside, they were kind of cumbersome to deal with; would've been convenient to equip gear and browse the clearinghouse from the same terminal.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    and the Freakazoid reference was very unexpected :D
    Wait, what was this? The only problem with a game like this is it's way too hard to see everything by yourself D:

Pretty simple to get, in Taipei, take up the mission in the slums, and before the final target, there is a small stream of sewer water.

Mike - "Just keep telling yourself you are walking in a big bowl of chocolate pudding.... uuuuggghh, smells like poo-gas..."

Unfortunatley he didn't say poo gas enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me8nwMPn3nM

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pretty simple to get, in Taipei, take up the mission in the slums, and before the final target, there is a small stream of sewer water.
    I see, I guess he has a couple of lines for that, cause I got a different one the one time I did it. I think it was something about burning his clothes when he got home.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I see, I guess he has a couple of lines for that, cause I got a different one the one time I did it. I think it was something about burning his clothes when he got home.

it's not the sewer lake with the turret, it's slightly before that

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    it's not the sewer lake with the turret, it's slightly before that
    No, I know which one you're talking about, I hadn't even realized the one by the turret existed until my third playthrough.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So, just finished my first/hard runthough.

Wow... overall, the gameplay mechanics could be better, but everything aside from that was pretty fantastic (the gameplay mechanics were still pretty fun).

It's pretty amazing how the story changes around all your choices. Overall it was pretty fun for the story to be completley over the top with super secret plans, constant backstabbing, making allies and enemies, etc. I'd made some really bad choices through the game, sure, I got to the end of it, but I thought I could of done things much cleaner/better. I did do some good stuff, but having my main, most hated enemy in the game get away safley at the end of the day, being too paranoid to trust someone I've worked with constantly and other istances of making and losing allies and having other characters fade into obscurity. Whew. I was super paranoid at the end about some people, some people I trusted turned out to be asses and some people I was professional and straughtforward with turned out to be very useful.

Really, really great game, cant wait to replay it and see if I can change the world for the better this time. Really makes you think about what is going to happen after Mike goes off into the sunset too.

Oh, also, I loved the music in this game. So many parts of the game that kicked so much more ass thanks to the great soundtrack.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is the kind of game thats best the first time round. Though i'm sure it has it moments the second time.

I figure, the best way of doing things for the ladies achievements is

Rome
    Moscow
    Tapei
    etc

Or am i missing something here? Also spoilery question
    To save both your contact and the info in moscow? is it the background or the specialization that determines being able to do that?

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't know if you need it, but you can get a couple points of influence with the moscow love interest in rome.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Veterans have no time for "choices". They just do both.

edit: Yeah, not only is recruit mode harder, but the recruit dialogue isn't even so hot.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I plan to start my next game as a recruit who hates everything and loves money, then, if I feel like another run, play a veteran ala James Bond, getting all the best results, the achivements I missed and scoring with all the wimminz.

My first run was more of a Solid Snake kind of thing, just getting the mission done, but I did get distracted a few times and screw things up.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just wrapped my paythrough as a sneaky-suave pistolero.

Damn fun. Glad this thread assuaged my fears about the game. Awesome and worth a few more goes.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Grabbed this a while back for £20 for my PS3 and just got around to starting it.

On the bad side, I've already run into a couple of bugs - namely enemies disappearing on a reload and spotty AI. I should not be able to use the assault rifle to gun down a dude and have his mate 10 feet away remain oblivious to the event. I also should not have the 'Evasion' skill proc when the nearest enemy still has two solid walls between me and him. D:

On the plus side, I'm really liking the rest of it. I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finished up my sneaky run the other day, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to go through a recruit run just to unlock Veteran. Ugh. Wish they had unlocked veteran after the first runthrough.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Veterans have no time for "choices". They just do both.

edit: Yeah, not only is recruit mode harder, but the recruit dialogue isn't even so hot.

The only advantage of the Recruit options is that if you pick enough of them you get some free AP to make up (a little bit of) your loss.

gjaustin on