Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Gabe's impression of the Red Box, page 78

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cannibalistic halfings can't be beat.

Teach your players to fear the little man.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I remember an old Knights of the Dinner Table strip in which the avaricious Steve Jackson Gaming Company created a random sample pack miniature line. The joke was that this was a totally insane business model that relied on their customers being obsessive collectors with no financial sense. Of course this meant that Bob spent hundreds of dollars on miniatures trying to find the exact right one.

And then it all came true.

Hachface on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I had a player eat a defeated enemy's face as part of an intimidation check last time.

I think they get halflings.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I had a player eat a defeated enemy's face as part of an intimidation check last time.

Was the sorcerer king in this area the one who wiped out all the gnomes?

If so, halfling genocide might be next on his/her list.

Face-Eating dudes might want to be a part of that.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »

Was the sorcerer king in this area the one who wiped out all the gnomes?

If so, halfling genocide might be next on his/her list.

Face-Eating dudes might want to be a part of that.
    Nibenay was the Bane of Gnomes, I believe.

My hope is that at least one player wants to be a templar from either of the two city-states.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Shame this wasn't in a Deadlands game. You could really eff with him if he started becoming canabalistic.

Radical Ans on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    I'm not saying screw them for trying to make money... I'm saying screw the idea of offering a product that requires you bleed money out of people to sustain it.
    I don't recall a single set that was comprised of commonly used creatures. They all have been a couple commonly used creatures and a bunch of really specific creatures that aren't useful in day-to-day campaigns.
    That's why they don't sell. Only collectors are willing to throw a bunch of money away for stuff they won't use.

I agree--every pack I see seems to have a bunch of garbage & a goblin & an orc. Why not just make the goblins and orcs... have a few "greenskins" packs. You want an ettin? sorry. Just use an ogre and say, "it's an ettin"

streever on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't recall a single set that was comprised of commonly used creatures. They all have been a couple commonly used creatures and a bunch of really specific creatures that aren't useful in day-to-day campaigns.

That's why they don't sell. Only collectors are willing to throw a bunch of money away for stuff they won't use.

They're changing the mini ratio so you get minis that are more useful day to day in greater quantities.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guys.

Where should I set my second Dark Sun game?

I'm leaning toward Gulg/Nibenay/Crescent Forest.
    Gulg would be fun and really different. I'm considering Raam for the future.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They're changing the mini ratio so you get minis that are more useful day to day in greater quantities.

Well, that's good news.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh hey, I bug you guys for advice a lot, I know, I'm still a fledgling DM in a way. Every week I encounter something new. In fact, I recently learned that a 22 attack roll beats 22 AC and not the other way around :/

Anyways, my party is hitting paragon pretty soon (Level 9 now, almost 10) what should I prepare for? A couple of them are capable of doing this all their own with minimal guidance from me but a couple are incredibly clueless when it comes to this sort of thing and it will test every ounce of my patience.

Paragon tier check list (so far):
    - Paragon paths
    - Paragon Feats
    - Upgrade certain class features and powers (like Healing Word)
    - Feats which upgrade at paragon (Weapon Expertise for example)
    - +1 to all abilities

Sipex on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One day, 3D printing will be economically feasible for home use, and our miniature problems will be solved.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Oh hey, I bug you guys for advice a lot, I know, I'm still a fledgling DM in a way. Every week I encounter something new. In fact, I recently learned that a 22 attack roll beats 22 AC and not the other way around :/

Anyways, my party is hitting paragon pretty soon (Level 9 now, almost 10) what should I prepare for? A couple of them are capable of doing this all their own with minimal guidance from me but a couple are incredibly clueless when it comes to this sort of thing and it will test every ounce of my patience.

Paragon tier check list (so far):
    - Paragon paths
    - Paragon Feats
    - Upgrade certain class features and powers (like Healing Word)
    - Feats which upgrade at paragon (Weapon Expertise for example)
    + 1 to all abilities at level 11.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    right right

Sipex on
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did they ever confirm if all of the PHB I and II races would get erratted to have one stat at +2 and your choice of +2 to another stat like the PHBIII races? It seems like I heard that a while back, but nothing more about it since.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it's been confirmed.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the whole scope of miniatures has been handled quite poorly by WotC.

You know what set they need to make?

A handful of goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, kobolds, ogres, wolves, and undead.

Why they can't make a set of minis for level 1-10 characters that is all in one place and doesn't require spending hundreds of dollars on random boxes from multiple sets is beyond me.

You could always just buy a box of warhammer orcs and paint half green and half orange for all the orcs and hobgoblins you could possibly ever need.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    One day, 3D printing will be economically feasible for home use, and our miniature problems will be solved.

Yeah, you can get minifacturing printers for cheap, but they really stick it to you on the plastic blocks. That's when the gray market block refilling stations will pop up at staples and office depot.

I'm holding out for the omni tool.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

A.) I kind of don't like this, as it steals human thunder. Do they get anything out of the change?

B.) Are any of them the long-lost int/con we've been waiting for?

templewulf on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    templewulf wrote: »

Yeah, you can get minifacturing printers for cheap, but they really stick it to you on the plastic blocks. That's when the gray market block refilling stations will pop up at staples and office depot.

I'm holding out for the omni tool.

Lucky Dragons are installing a machine right now which should help with this.

streever on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

There's kits you can get for making your own 3d printer. Though I suppose getting info to print the objects then becomes the hard part.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    New thread time? Aegeri's not here, need me to make it?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

A.) I kind of don't like this, as it steals human thunder. Do they get anything out of the change?

Humans are getting an encounter power. +4 on a attack roll or a saving throw. You may use this after the roll has happened.

So Humans are getting the best out of this deal.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Turkson wrote: »

Humans are getting an encounter power. +4 on a attack roll or a saving throw. You may use this after the roll has happened.

Holy shit! Suck on that, mythical people! Does that stack with action surge?

templewulf on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Humans can take that instead of the extra At-Will. Just in case your class only has two good ones.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Turkson wrote: »

Holy shit! Suck on that, mythical people! Does that stack with action surge?

Oh god. Action surge was the only thing that made my low-level wizard bearable. (By mid-heroic he was fine.)

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Humans can take that instead of the extra At-Will. Just in case your class only has two good ones.
    This makes it decidedly less awesome.

That extra at will is the main reason I'd ever pick the race.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I dunno, I statted up a Human Artificer recently and the extra at-will was useless to say the least.

Sipex on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, my mechanical reason for liking human is extra feat and NADs.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    For classes like Fighter, though, that's kind of a sophie's choice situation. That save bonus would be incredibly useful, but you've got to give up one of those sweet, sweet at will options to take it.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    streever wrote: »
    I'm not saying screw them for trying to make money... I'm saying screw the idea of offering a product that requires you bleed money out of people to sustain it.

I agree--every pack I see seems to have a bunch of garbage & a goblin & an orc. Why not just make the goblins and orcs... have a few "greenskins" packs. You want an ettin? sorry. Just use an ogre and say, "it's an ettin"

is it wrong that I started to look at warhammer fantasy for my greenskins and multipacks of the same creatures? and tyrannids for creepy bug and abberant things?

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For classes like Fighter, though, that's kind of a sophie's choice situation. That save bonus would be incredibly useful, but you've got to give up one of those sweet, sweet at will options to take it.

It can be pretty nice for wizards, too, since you can get an attack that targets each NAD.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I didn't know that it replaced the 3rd at will. I'd still take it regardless of class.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    \o/

A CS has referred a rules clarification I emailed them to Wizards, so there's a possibility it might get changed/clarified in errata! Yipee!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For all you guys complaining about minis, remember how WotC released sets of "Player's Handbook Heroes" that came with three minis (and you saw the minis and knew exactly what you were getting?). Well, apparently they sold incredibly poorly, which is why they are now discontinued.

When it comes to minis, there seems to only be two options: randomized booster packs, or no minis at all.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    For all you guys complaining about minis, remember how WotC released sets of "Player's Handbook Heroes" that came with three minis (and you saw the minis and knew exactly what you were getting?). Well, apparently they sold incredibly poorly, which is why they are now discontinued.

When it comes to minis, there seems to only be two options: randomized booster packs, or no minis at all.

Possibly because no one needs to buy more than one Female Dragonborn Rogue and most people need to buy zero of them.

Of course they're going to sell poorly.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They need to make packs of Random player character mini's and organized packs of monsters. Create encounters in a box with all the stats you need to run the encounter. Maybe even include a paper map or dungeon tile or two.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Do I want to pay $3+ per mini for three guys, who I may never ever use? Or spend less than $2 per for a random batch of 8 or more mini's that I can probably find some use for?

This is my surprise face.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe even include a paper map or dungeon tile or two.

They did this with the Star Wars minis, dunno why they don't do it with D&D.

I bought some of those packs for the maps alone.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The fact the PHB Hero packs were like $12 each didn't help matters much.

My group just bit the bullet and bought a few of those packs for PC's and just create paper tokens in TokenTool for monsters. It works out pretty well.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.