Options

What should you bring to PAX?

124»

• Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    macbitt wrote: »
    Fyction wrote: »
    I agree with the hand-sanitizer tip. I'd also add that a brand-spankin' new pair of shoes makes PAX delightful.

Make that 4-6 week old shoes. You want to break in any new shoes before you do something like PAX, otherwise your feet could be in for a world of hurt.

Yes, I bought a new pair a few days ago. It's almost a llittle to late but I've been wearing them all day just about every where I go to break them in some.

I also bought two of these a few days ago. One for me and one for a friend or someone looking for a seat. :)
    4114iRYHR7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    They are super easy and light and comfy to. I think they weight like 2 pounds a piece. They fold into the size of a net book and both easy fit into my backpack without worrying about fatiguing myself out by the end of the day. :)
    You probably can get them at an army surplus or at sporting good store.

Edgeofblade that both gave me a laugh and grin.

adester on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Keep extra ammo for your "weapons" at your base camp

This is a good idea.

It is always nice to have an extra stack of magazines to fall back to in case of a Zombie outbreak.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It might be a good idea to revise point #1 in the OP. According to current projections, we're looking at highs in the high-60s and lows in the mid-50s.

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Teletheus wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to revise point #1 in the OP. According to current projections, we're looking at highs in the high-60s and lows in the mid-50s.

"Location: Dallas, TX"

So, I assume you will be the one walking around in a parka.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Actually, I deal with the cold better than most people I know down here; I've worn shorts in 40-50 degree weather before. :) I'll probably be fine with jeans and a T-shirt, although I'll probably bring a jacket just in case. My friend who's coming with me, on the other hand, hates the cold, so he may be the one in a parka.

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    high 60's=perfect weather..when you get too hot inside you can step outside to cool off real quick.

Solelron on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Actually, I deal with the cold better than most people I know down here; I've worn shorts in 40-50 degree weather before. :) I'll probably be fine with jeans and a T-shirt, although I'll probably bring a jacket just in case. My friend who's coming with me, on the other hand, hates the cold, so he may be the one in a parka.

<- Houstonian... I'm gonna love dis.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Solelron wrote: »
    high 60's=perfect weather..when you get too hot inside you can step outside to cool off real quick.

You mean high 50s, right? High 60s are usually higher than the AC is set. :P

Heleor on
  • Options
    IroquoisIroquois Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

#1 does mention worst being 50 so I've already covered that.

Iroquois on
    3DS Friend code: 2449-5995-8538
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On the subject of snacks and water, is there a grocery store in downtown that one can pick up Nutrigrain bars or something to that affect? I don't want to have to bring a bunch with me in my luggage, since customs is remarkably anal about foodstuffs.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    There is a QFC just up Capitol Hill. I believe it is open 24 hours a day.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    polencepolence Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    customs-wise... dhs has detained and manually searched my luggage twice already, yes they are a pain.

Food wise, all you have to do is not bring any whole egg (no raw or even cooked, food with egg is ok), don't bring any kind of raw meat or any item with viable planting seed. You should be fine after that.

There are some convenience stores around and Whole Foods, that you could buy your nutrigrain bars from. And don't forget to bring your own grocery bag, since they will charge you 10cents for a plastic bag, the city recently passed a law about it.

polence on
  • Options
    SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After the sheer amount of Swag tshirts I ended up with last year, I think I might come naked and dress myself in swag.

I have had the same thought myself. When my husband and I got cold during one of the concerts last year I actually covered myself with the eleventy-billion tees that were thrown at me earlier in the day.

This reminds me, how cool is it in these rooms where panels and things are. I imagine all the bodies create a lot of heat, but I wonder if some rooms are smaller and emptier and I need to have a hoody ready. Keep in mind, I am all skin and bone and have zero body fat to keep me warm.
    Bring a hoody, just in case. We've been having some pretty bi-polar weather lately, and it gets pretty cool at night. If nothing else, you'll appreciate the hoody while walking back to your hotel room. The general rule of thumb for dressing in the PNW: layers. Our weather can change a lot through the course of a day...

Saxicide on
  • Options
    ManoaManoa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Regarding the question about grocery stores...

The QFC that Moe mentioned is indeed 24 hours and is about a 15 minute walk from the convention center...it's located on the corner of Pike and Broadway. Careful, there's another 24-hour QFC on Broadway in Capital Hill as well (on Broadway and East Harrison), but is a bit of a farther walk than the one on Pike and Broadway!

M Street Grocery on 8th Ave and Madison is also within a reasonable walking distance (about 10 min)...it's small, but it's a full grocery store that is open until 10pm.

If you're in need of picking up something quick, Clay's Market is a convenience store that has space within the convention center. It's accessed from the exterior of the convention center on the corner of Pike and 8th.

Manoa on
  • Options
    Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but I ALWAYS bring my cell phone charger. It usually mean huddling up against a wall somewhere for a few minutes, but I definitely needed it at PAXEast since I finally purchased an iPhone and was spending a lot of time networking/taking pictures with it.

Masquerade78 on
  • Options
    itashaitasha Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cell charger is a must I think I needed mine last year. I expect to alot of networking twitter and stuff alot this year too. Also I had a water bottle it came in handy. Light jacket or hoodie and of course your ds or psp it's a life saver in long lines. I got pokemon for this years pax line game. Last year it was Zelda. And a huge swag bag! I came home with so much it was crazy I had 2 packs filled my gym bag and my cosplay bag full of swag it was great

itasha on
  • Options
    journies_endjournies_end Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    itasha wrote: »
    Cell charger is a must I think I needed mine last year. I expect to alot of networking twitter and stuff alot this year too.

I may end up buying an extra battery for my cellphone. I did Disney World in Orlando Florida this past summer, left with a fully charged smart phone at 8am every morning, but around 4pm - 6pm from calls, texts, and net surfing my phone was dead (and at ANY theme park in Disney World there are NO public outlets! Can you believe that!? I know the situation will be different at the Seattle convention center, you could probably find an outlet near a place to eat lunch/dinner/snack while your phone charges, but it never hurts to be prepared).

Also, a small collapsible umbrella or poncho. It rained every day last year on and off, and even tho we'll be at the con pretty much all day, trips back to your hotel, a restaurant, or anywhere else outside is no fun in the rain, especially if you have schwag (it never hurts to be prepared).

journies_end on
    Totally pumped for PAX Prime 2010
    Tweet me @journies_end
  • Options
    RusparRuspar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm an ADD Victim and couldn't get all the way through the 6 pages of "Hahaha, Good Answer" so I apologize if this has been asked already.

I work for House of Knives up in BC. As a result I tend to carry a folding pocket knife around with me ALL THE TIME. If I bring a Utility knife with me, am I going to get Tazed or something?

Ruspar on
  • Options
    SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ruspar wrote: »
    I'm an ADD Victim and couldn't get all the way through the 6 pages of "Hahaha, Good Answer" so I apologize if this has been asked already.

I work for House of Knives up in BC. As a result I tend to carry a folding pocket knife around with me ALL THE TIME. If I bring a Utility knife with me, am I going to get Tazed or something?
    To the best of my knowledge, naaaaw. Not unless you're threatening someone with it or something. (I'm assuming a you mean "utility knife" as in a Leatherman-like tool knife or somesuch. You know, a knife for utility purposes, not stabbity ones.) Besides, if it's in your pocket, who's gonna kno--oh, wait, customs. Sorry, no idea about customs. Probably not gon' get tased?

Saxicide on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Won't be any customs issues.

Knives go back and forth across the border all the time. It's the Illegal ones they are worried about (Switchblades, Bali-songs, etc.)

and I only do Legal Carry, usually Clip-Visible, when I have my knife. Never IN the pocket so much as on the pocket, really. In the Pocket is usually considered Concealed and thus, in most areas, illegal carry.

I'm more worried about the convention centre. I've read up on State Law and whatnot.

{edit}
    Oh yeah, and I only carry as a tool, never as a weapon. I don't threaten :P

Ruspar on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ruspar wrote: »
    Won't be any customs issues.

Knives go back and forth across the border all the time. It's the Illegal ones they are worried about (Switchblades, Bali-songs, etc.)

and I only do Legal Carry, usually Clip-Visible, when I have my knife. Never IN the pocket so much as on the pocket, really. In the Pocket is usually considered Concealed and thus, in most areas, illegal carry.

I'm more worried about the convention centre. I've read up on State Law and whatnot.

{edit}
    Oh yeah, and I only carry as a tool, never as a weapon. I don't threaten :P

You are fine.

Seattle blade law= No fixed blade knifes. No folding knife with a blade longer then 3.5 inches. No restriction on how you carry it.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Many Thanks.

Ruspar on
  • Options
    me2wiredme2wired Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Quick question, can we bring food in? Like snack wise stuff in our backpacks into the convention center? Are there places where no food is allowed?

me2wired on
  • Options
    aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    me2wired wrote: »
    Quick question, can we bring food in? Like snack wise stuff in our backpacks into the convention center? Are there places where no food is allowed?
    Yes and not that I'm aware of.

aragorn18 on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Technically outside food isn't allowed in the convention center. Practically, if you're not being absurd about it, they're not going to search every backpack. Just don't start a food stand in the queue line. :P

Heleor on
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    Technically outside food isn't allowed in the convention center. Practically, if you're not being absurd about it, they're not going to search every backpack. Just don't start a food stand in the queue line. :P

unless you're in the cookie brigade I would assume.

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    polence wrote: »
    And don't forget to bring your own grocery bag, since they will charge you 10cents for a plastic bag, the city recently passed a law about it.

Nope, didn't pass. You can have all the plastic bags you want for free. The city of Edmonds just banned plastic bags, but don't worry, Edmonds is about as interesting as Yelm.

Regarding grocery stores, Kress IGA "Downtown Seattle's Only Full Service Grocery Store" conveniently located on 3rd and Pike (below street level) exactly between the Convention Center and Beneroya Hall.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    savagehart wrote: »

The brigade doesn't get any special treatment. The whole thing is on the down low.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    savagehart wrote: »

The brigade doesn't get any special treatment. The whole thing is on the down low.

<crunch> haven't a clue what you're talking about <crunch> <crunch> nope not a clue.

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Avid wrote: »
    Here is the best tip for anyone who is a little heavier.

BABY POWDER

Ya I know im getting personal but a little on your inner thighs and you can walk way further without pain.
    I took the tip from a friend and since then quite a few of my friends use it.

Honestly, might seem embarassing, but it's a tip that will give you +20 endurance.

I am not a 'little heavier' and sometimes I need to use it. The right pair of boxers goes a long way as well.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The city of Edmonds just banned plastic bags, but don't worry, Edmonds is about as interesting as Yelm.

This almost makes me want to skip my trip to the Northwest.

Almost.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
This discussion has been closed.