As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC][DC Adventures] Alternate Universe: Gotham

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Either original characters or modified DC Universe characters to fit an alternate universe/elseworlds setting.

Power Level 12 characters that fit the Gotham aesthetic: few flashy powers (although super powered characters won't be denied outright -- think Poison Ivy), with a focus on personal skills (think the Bat family of heroes or Catwoman) and devices (think the Joker, Mister Freeze, etc.) Alternately, characters might not have any special skills or devices or powers and just have a strong will to change things for the better by whatever means necessary.

Characters should wear costumes, even if they're awesome armored costumes like Batman's in The Dark Knight.

salt

how do you feel about a variant blue beetle

not the crappy mystical scarab one, the inventor/athlete one

either a young upstart from a Wayne subsidiary company who wants to help fill the batman vacuum but with a BB gun instead of a batarang.

or like a coming out of retirement because there's no batman so someone's gotta dress up and kick ass with technology and kung fu(s) and dammit kids these days don't know how it's done.

in closing:

beetle.jpg

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    horseshoe

this is an idea with merits

you know how to get hold of me for topic-based discussion events

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here's my crunch. Still putting the finishing touches on the fluff, but I think it holds promise.
    The Specter AKA Mathew Thames
    PL12
    Abilities (70 points)
    Strength 3
    Stamina 3
    Agility 2
    Dexterity 6
    Fighting 5
    Intellect 10
    Awareness 2
    Presence 4

Powers (29 Points)
    Prototype Stealth Suit (13 Points)
    Concealment 5 (All Visual Senses, Normal Hearing, Precise,)
    Protection 4
    Insulated
    Mimicry

Skull Mask (11 points)

Senses 3 (Infravision, Low Light Vision, Radio)
    Radio Communication 2

Ghostly Cape (3 points)
    Flight 3 (Glide only)

Skeletal Gloves (2 points)
    Movement 2 (Safe Fall, limited to near a surface; Wall Crawling, Removable)

Equipment
    Bandoleer (24 point array)
    Tear Gas Pellets: Ranged Cloud Area Affliction 4 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed and Vision Impaired, Stunned and Vision Disabled, Incapacitated)
    Bolos: Snare 3 (Resisted by Dodge; hindered and vulnerable, defenseless and immobilized)
    Thrown Explosives: Ranged Burst Area Damage 5
    Cutting Torch: Damage 1 Linked to Weaken Tough-ness 1.
    Flash-Bangs: Burst Area Dazzle 4 (Resisted by Fortitude; Vision Impaired, Vision Disabled, Vision Unaware).
    Power Knuckles: Damage 4, Strength-based
    Sleep Gas Pellets: Cloud Area Sleep 4 (Resisted by Fortitude; Fatigued, Exhausted, Asleep).
    Ghostly Noisemakers: Can make a low moaning to a cacophony
    Smoke Pellets: Cloud Area Visual Concealment Attack

Blaster Pistol (10)
    Ranged Damage 5

Advantages (27 points)
    Defensive Roll 2
    Improved Initative
    Improved Aim
    Improvised Tools
    Ranged Attack 6
    Eidetic Memory
    Power Attack
    Precise Attack 4
    Inventor
    Skill Mastery (Technology)
    Startle
    Equipment 7

Skills (35 points)
    Acrobatics 4 ranks (+6 bonus)
    Athletics 6 (+9 bonus)
    Deception 5 (+9 bonus)
    Expertise: Engineer 10 (+20 bonus)
    Insight: 5 (+7 bonus)
    Intimidation 8 (+12 bonus)
    Investigation 2 (+12 bonus)
    Perception 4 (+6 bonus)
    Persuasion 6 (+10 bonus)
    Stealth 4 (+6 bonus)
    Technology 12 (+22 bonus)
    Treatment 4 (+14 bonus)

Offense
    Initiative +6
    Melee(Power Knuckles) +8, damage 7
    Ranged (Blaster) +12, Damage 5

Defense (23 points)
    Dodge 10
    Parry 8
    Toughness 9 (w/o Def Roll 7)
    Fortitude 7
    Will 8

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i don't know what exactly a 'blaster pistol' is but it is questionable

you and batgirl are both filling in the gadget-based hero niche, so you two might want to discuss ways to make sure you don't invade one another's space, mechanically speaking

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    At the moment, the party's really starting to look like Arcanis as Batgirl, Horseshoe as Blue Beetle (we'll see how that goes), and Capfalcon as the Spectre; there's at least a little bit of nepotism in play here, I'm just trying to be up front about it.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, a lot of established names being thrown around.

Rethought my idea. I feel like I'd want to play as the local leader of The Sons of Batman. They've been trying to fill in the shoes of the big guy ever since he showed them the error of their ways one night, and they share his will...but not his methods. They started out scaring those they were trying to protect, worse than the criminals would. But they've been learning. This pack leader's most likely out of the league of Mr. Freeze and The Joker for right now.

But someone's got to stop the local muggers.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    At the moment, the party's really starting to look like Arcanis as Batgirl, Horseshoe as Blue Beetle (we'll see how that goes), and Capfalcon as the Spectre; there's at least a little bit of nepotism in play here, I'm just trying to be up front about it.

before i work more on concept...

salt which do you like better

younger upstart beetle who's gotta lot to learn

or older smarter beetle who's gotta lose some weight

you made a good point about gadgety crossover so

with the first i can stay out of arc's gadget pants because he's just getting started

with the second i can accomplish the same because he mighta flaked on maintenance

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    either a young upstart from a Wayne subsidiary company who wants to help fill the batman vacuum but with a BB gun instead of a batarang.

I like this idea because I'm imagining a nice hybrid original character/existing name, and also, because I'm -really- unfamiliar with the Blue Beetle character

But

I trust you to figure what will work best with the group and be interesting to tell stories about and fun to play

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    blue_62_beetle_front.jpg&t=1

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah the obscurity is one of the reasons i went with ol' BB

basically

nite owl from watchmen was a reskin of blue beetle
    Alan Moore originally wanted to use actual Golden Age comic book characters for Watchmen. He proposed using Captain Atom, The Question, Blue Beetle... and have Peacemaker getting killed at the start of the comic. DC wasn't hot on him killing off or getting wierd with newly-acquired IP so they got him to write his own characters, but they're very clearly those old golden age charlton comics dudes updated for the 1980's. I think that DC was in the right there... Alan Moore can get a little... well, he's Alan Moore.

BB has been around since the golden age but isn't really well known

usually he's dusted off to be a team-up character or kind of a sidekick

recently with booster gold, which was good times

so dusting him off to use as a PC is something i think i would dig

i will work on writing up a concept and yappin' at you about it

edit: dang you arc... though it would be kinda funny if blue beetle based his persona on a volkswagen rather than an egyptian scarab

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    though i would have thought you'd have gone with
    THIS-IS-PROOF-PEOPLE.JPG

bng-not-gay.JPG

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Dark080matterDark080matter CrateriaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Holy Crap someone wants to play DC Adventures and it's one of those awesome alternate universe concepts and--

Ouch, that's not comforting!... I have the DC book and would love to take a crack at this, but I'm an unknown on the PA boards which seems to really hurt around here. Myth-Weavers has until recently been my sole playground, although I'm currently playing in Eberron: The Long Way Down. With these dubious street credentials firmly established, I'm going to make a last-second bid for power here!

With that theme in mind, I think I should take a shot at a last-chance sort of character. We look better then sold on the ever loosely-connected core themes of Crime Fighters (peak Human attributes + skills + Advantages + high accuracy) and Gadgeteers (more skills + Devices + you get the idea...), so I'd like to hit an angle sort of opposite to that, staying within the thematic bounds of a Gotham-style character.

Ok, how about this. Because we're having this interesting debate about good old Rhas 'Al and I like the tangled mythology of that part of the world anyway, a sort of near-Eastern avenger type who comes to Gotham as the representative of a vague shadoooowwwwy organization (but not the one that you're thinking of) which is in fact devoted to the stability of civilization. For centuries, they have been. Their representative to troubled Gotham is a warrior monk by the alias of Templar. As an archetype goes, he would be a loose combination of a Psionic (subtle though, more along the lines of "awakened senses" rather then "mind bullets/mental domination") and a Weapon-master. Sword, for obvious reasons. I can crunch stuff up if this bare-bones idea goes over decently well. Would you like to take a deeper look at this idea?

Maybe a quick concept scribble is also in order...

Dark080matter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And so hey, I've got a sketch.

templar_by_exiledtranquility-d2xf2m4.jpg

That's the overall appearance.

If it's not too much of a real-life sensitive topics taboo, I'm considering making the character's background that of a regular american kid... who enlists and is sent as a young Marine lance corporal to the Middle East. In his backstory he is critically injured in a firefight and is separated from his platoon miles outside "the Fence". Listed as MIA presumed dead, he is in fact alive having been rescued by a secret order of Templar (the great-great-grand descendants thereof, of course) who have persisted since the middle ages hidden in the great Saudi desert, having long ago shed the idealism of the Crusades for a blended discipline using a mix of Muslim and Western traditions.

He recovers among this order of 'knights', learns their nigh-mystical warrior talents, and through him they learn of the decay of the "New West." Adopting an alias (as he's officially dead), he travels to Gotham as a converted Crusader for the rule of Order and Justice and all that stuff.

And, cue theme music.

Dark080matter on
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here's a quick list of concepts, only one of which is fully developed right now:

- a master of disguise who specializes in investigation and solving mysteries, and infiltrating criminal organizations

- a low-level speedster (something I don't think the Gotham grim genre has ever done, but as long the power level is kept low I think it could be interesting) (ps: this concept has legs by definition)

- the city's district attorney, inspired by the contemporaneous deaths of Batman and his good friend Bruce Wayne to create a two-fisted seeker of justice. Too bad he's going to miss Boss Moroni's trial to clean up the streets, though. Oh, well, he's sure his assistant can handle it. (While this overlaps the melee-focus character, I think in a street-level genre it's almost unavoidable. His focus would probably be more on his investigative abilities and knowledge of the law to differentiate him more. Definitely not a device-type fighter.)

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i think you meant this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljDJmtekVuA

or if you're a Danny Elfman fan (edited in a super HQ version):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udRQLPy35v8&feature=related

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What right do we have to steal Batman's theme tune, you must be crazy. Show some respect, the guy's dead! (also I was aiming for a personal character theme)

...But yeah totally that.

Dark080matter on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This intrigues me so hard, and would also subscribe to this newsletter.

The only question is what would I play should a member......fall?

(Also, if you need a guest star Joker, I'm totally all over that.)

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are you certain you want PL12? Green Arrow and Nightwing, for example, are only PL10 - PL12 is as good as Batman himself.

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Batman is PL12 with ~280 power points. These characters are not as good as Batman, they just share his upper limits.

In conclusion, Horseshoe will be in as the Blue Beetle, ArcanisTheImpotent will be in as Batgirl, and Capfalcon is in as Specter.

There was a lot of interest in this game, but I wasn't willing to budge on the three-character limit. The game will have opportunities for guest appearances as villains or heroes, though, and those of you who expressed interest here and didn't find a place in the group will be at the top of the list for those.

I enjoyed pretty much all of your proposals (with an exception to "the brutal Marvel flavored superhero!" on page 1), and it wasn't an easy decision.

Darkmatter almost overscored everyone on account of drawing his character which is rad as shit, so props to him and I hope he'll still be interested when Guest Stars are needed (and the same for the rest of you, at that!)

In conclusion, may the Force be with you all.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Argh, Fission Mailed, and before I had a chance to make a character sheet, complete with all of the Complications! All of them!

But I got an honorable mention. That's cool. INeedNoSalt, feel free to fire me a PM whenever you find yourself needing some extra-righteous smiting on the side of Justice.

Stay frosty, y'all.

Dark080matter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Argh, Fission Mailed, and before I had a chance to make a character sheet, complete with all of the Complications! All of them!

Honestly, I prefer not to have sheets at all early on on account of it makes it harder to turn someone away if they've paid for the book and gone through the time to craft a sheet and etc.

The biggest strike against your character, though, was my intense love of tights and the fact that you showed up after I had more or less decided who was going to be in (which I mentioned yesterday, I think.) :(

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Holy Crap someone wants to play DC Adventures and it's one of those awesome alternate universe concepts and--

I knew the odds going in, I'm quoting myself quoting you to show it. There was at least a little bit of ambiguity in your statement however, which prompted my attempted last-second quick draw application bid. My Iaijutsu focus wasn't quite up to the task though, clearly.

As for lack of tights: Hey, you've got no idea what he's got going on under his retro-futuristic urban knight armor. And now we'll never know. :P

If it's any consolation, I think the idea of being a on-again, off-again Sixth Ranger (errr... 4th Ranger) to the series is awesome. Hell yes, Templar could be the dark horse of the ensemble, mysterious in his origins and cryptic in his loose allegiance with the main characters. I have no idea if that's what you plan on doing but it sounds like a idea plan in my head already...

Dark080matter on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I also would not mind a recurring guest spot.

Or to step in for the Two-Face or Comissioner Gordon appearances.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i don't know what exactly a 'blaster pistol' is but it is questionable

Oops. That was just copy pasted from the rulebook. I wanted a nonlethal ranged weapon, and I thought it was a good price for it. I just forgot to go back and change it to something less scifi. I'm thinking it's kinda like quieter rubber bullet gun. It makes a pretty distinct hiss from the compressed gas, so it's not really silenced. However, it lends more to the image of a Revenant taking revenge upon the underworld.
    you and batgirl are both filling in the gadget-based hero niche, so you two might want to discuss ways to make sure you don't invade one another's space, mechanically speaking

When you get down to it, most of the heroes in this game are going to be somewhere on the spectrum between fighter to gadgeteer. I'm thinking that I'm leaning a lot more towards the gadgeteer end of the spectrum, while she's much more a fighter.

I'm going to be occupied most of tomorrow, but I'll probably have a pretty good idea for Sunday.

Edit: I'm in! I'm in! Hooray!

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That works, Cap; mostly I was expecting you to be running around melting people and that was what had me going "ehhh"

And yeah, you're right about fightin' and gadgeteerin' and etc, I just feel like there's room for everyone to do their own thing within that spectrum and I strongly value communication between players, especially during chargen.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh yeah. I was planning on talking with Arcanis and Horseshoe. After all, the game works better when the players buy into each other's characters. Just, I gotta get up kinda early and I'm spending most of tomorrow with my family tomorrow.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    hey salt what about oracle

she still around

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Not quite a best seller, but I'm pretty happy with it.
    I’ll be the first to say I’ve had a pretty good life. Star quarterback in High School. Valedictorian in College. I excelled at anything I worked at, and most things I didn’t. By the time I graduated, I had amazing offers from Waynetech, LexCorp, and STAR Labs. But, my old man told me that I needed to go into the army. Said I would be pretty good at my job if I just relied on my talents, but I’d need to actually work if I wanted to be great. The army could teach me that. So, I made a deal with him. I’d stay in for a year, no questions asked. If, after the one year, I thought I wasn’t learning anything, then he’d ask some of his friends to get me an early discharge. I ended up staying for four years, and I’m glad I did.

Boot camp was probably one of the best things that happened to me. My most vivid memory is probably my undying hatred for the drill sergeant. I mean, he’s not really doing his job if you don’t hope a bus hits him on his way home, but… yeah. Oh, and I recently found out why I was singled out on day one. Dad called in a favor. Told me to think of it as welcome present. Almost right off the bus, I learned one of my most basic lessons of boot camp. There really isn’t an easier way to scrub a latrine clean with a toothbrush. You just keep working at it until the job is done.

But, all good things must come to an end, and I eventually decided that I wanted to get back to engineering. The army was nice and all, but I did stick it out through those engineering classes for a reason. I’d decided to work for WayneTech since I could take care of my parents if I moved back home. To make a long story short, I was eventually selected to lead a military contracted project due to my experience in the military and past successes as a project lead. They were looking for a stealth suit that could turn a normal soldier into a commando. Real cutting edge stuff. Active camo, sophisticated noise damping, clawed climbing gloves that could cut through steel. It was a pretty ambitious project. And it’s how I got into this mess.

Now, we were coming in over budget. Really over budget. I’m not sure what happened, to be honest. I can’t point to one moment where I really screwed up, but all the little mistakes throughout the project just added up to a few million dollars over budget. While we got the working prototype, we’d also used all the money we had reserved on the live tests. The project was going to flounder and the suit was going to get mothballed. So, I did the only thing I could do. I created a paper trail for a nonexistent person and signed him up to be the test pilot. Then, I took the suit and ran the tests myself around the city. I can’t quite remember what happened that made me look for fights. It was either a mugging or an arsonist. But, I do remember why I decided to go by “The Specter.” I’m right behind the jackass, and I yell for him to stop. He whips around and looks straight at me. I panic a bit, thinking that the suit’s not working. He’s a little shaken up, but he manages to squeak out, “Who’s there?” Then, I clocked him on the chin. Goes down like a sack of potatoes. Last thing he mutters before going out cold is, “Musta been a ghost…”

So, that’s the story. You want to know the part that gets me every time? The military is, in effect, paying me to be a costumed vigilante. Your tax dollars hard at work to make the streets of Gotham just a little bit safer.

Complications
    Responsibility – While he’s got almost complete autonomy within the Specter Project, the Specter suit isn’t actually his. He’ll have some rather awkward questions to answer if it gets seriously damaged or destroyed.
    Patriotism – School Color Guard, Eagle Scout, Soldier. The list goes on and on. Mathew has always loved his country and has taken many opportunities to serve it. He’s not too happy with the way things work in Gotham, but he’s sure that the system will pull itself back from the brink. …With maybe a little outside help.
    Secret Identity – Like most superheroes, Mathew Thames would probably prefer if no one really knows that he’s the Specter.
    Relationship – Mathew Thames loves his Mom and Dad. They live on the same block, and he’s helping to support them.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am back

FYI

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I need a sheet from horseshoe

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i've got one worked up

will send it to you when i get home this evening

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    you had better

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Roaroaroaorarrrghjaghrghgh!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Roaroaroaorarrrghjaghrghgh!

...Huh.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    d3483c4a916eb5317aea88f69cb5927a.jpg
    batgirl15coverb.jpg
    Stephanie Brown
    PL12
    Abilities
    Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 5, Dexterity 5, Fighting 10, Intellect 5, Awareness 4, Presence 4
    Equipment
    ((See Batman's Equipment list on page 213; includes everything from the Batcave to the Batboat))
    Advantages
    Benefit 4 [Current Beneficiary of the Wayne Holdings], Assessment, Defensive Roll 6, Equipment 19 [Utility Belt, Batcave, Batmobile, Batplane], Instant Up, All-out Attack, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Close Attack 4, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge, Attractive, Power Attack, Precise Attack [Ranged; Concealment and cover], Skill Mastery [Persuasion]
    Skills
    Acrobatics 5 (+10), Athletics 7 (+10), Deception 6 (+10), Expertise: Criminology 6 (+10), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+10), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 6 (+10), Investigation 7 (+11), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 8 (+12), Stealth 6 (+11), Technology 5 (+9), Vehicles 4 (+9)
    Offense
    Initiative +9
    Unarmed +14, Damage 2
    Ranged (Batarang) +9, Damage 4

Defense
    Dodge 10, Parry 10
    Toughness 8 (Def Roll 6), Fortitude 8, Will 11

Power Points
    Abilities 74 + Powers 0 + Advantages 49 + Skills 39 + Defenses 18 = Total 180

Complications:

Responsibility: She has inherited the Bat Family duty of Gotham being 'her' city.

Identity: Obviously, Stephanie's double life as Batgirl often interferes with her own duties as acting beneficiary of Wayne holdings and her job as a programmer.

Relationships and Nemeses: As the only member of the Bats currently still operating in Gotham, this has granted her the support of many of Batman's allies (such as Alfred Pennyworth, the stalwart Butler) as well as most, if not all, of his enemies, such as the Joker and Two-Face.

Not to mention she has had an on-and-off relationship with one of the former Robins, Tim Drake, aka Red Robin. Right now, it's off.

She also has a strained relationship with her mother who knows of her vigilante activities from her days as Spoiler.
    My name's Stephanie. I'm twenty-three years old. My favorite colors are black, blue, purple, and yellow.

I like caramel macchiatos and the sound of gloved fists hitting people in the jaw. Does that make me crazy?

At least I don't dress up in leather and kevlar tights and try to fight crime at night as Batgirl.

Oh. Wait.
    consolidated post with my stuff

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That's me lamenting that I don't have the Blue Beetle's sheet.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Capfalcon as a side note

I wouldn't mind if you included something to complications that would be complications that could come up regularly; it's more hooks for me, and more Hero Points for you.

I can't be trying to kill your character's parents constantly.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Capfalcon as a side note

I wouldn't mind if you included something to complications that would be complications that could come up regularly; it's more hooks for me, and more Hero Points for you.

I can't be trying to kill your character's parents constantly.

Hey, I'm just proud that I made an RPG character (in comics no less!) who didn't have his childhood parent's death be his catalyst into becoming the hero he is today.
    I'll think of something.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    it's so quiet...

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am tap tap tapping the keyboard

Remember