As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] Please continue your banter in the next thread

• Options
    ImperiusVImperiusV Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am an incoming free player. I don't want to make the same mistake as I did in World of Warcraft: I played a paladin on a server where 1/3 of the population were paladins and death knights. I wish I would have played a priest, because groups would always take forever to find a good healer or ranged dps.

So tell me: what classes are in great demand on Landroval?

ImperiusV on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There are always plenty of Hunters.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Throw a rock in Bree and you'll probably hit 5-6 hunters.

From what I've read and seen apparently Captain's and Tanks are in high demand in the endgame. I'm only 47 and not exactly to that point just yet.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    You'll find "anything" is in-demand for basically the entire leveling experience pre-50, classes in LotRO are amazingly versatile compared to their World of Warcraft "equivalents." Beyond having a Minstrel for any really serious group healing, basically everyone has some amount of ability to tank, mitigate damage, heal themself, stun enemies, etc., and in a Fellowship you can get extra healing/power restoration from Fellowship maneouvres so there's that, too. I wouldn't worry especially much about not being a class that's overplayed, except maybe with the aforementioned Hunters. They're just both the most numerous and one of the least group-useful classes, in my (low-level, limited) experience.

You'll still have no real issues grouping up though, as most of the content is designed to accommodate both a flexible number of players and extremely flexible class composition. :)

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That said, everyone's best friend is a hunter when they want to travel somewhere.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    100% Truth.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And with the F2P/Premium Travel restrictions Hunters will have even more of a draw for F2P Players.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How much would it cost to buy all the quest packs in the original game's area? I wonder how much I am going to need to spend just to do basic stuff. I got the Lone Lands pack as that is where I currently am but I see that if want to go back to the areas I was in up until this point I'll need to start spending a lot of cash.

Should I buy packs for areas I have been to in the past or only buy stuff to keep me going forward until I get to Moria?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    How much would it cost to buy all the quest packs in the original game's area? I wonder how much I am going to need to spend just to do basic stuff. I got the Lone Lands pack as that is where I currently am but I see that if want to go back to the areas I was in up until this point I'll need to start spending a lot of cash.

Should I buy packs for areas I have been to in the past or only buy stuff to keep me going forward until I get to Moria?

The best bet would really be to pick up one of the leveling areas for each block up until Moria. then, you're good to go of course.

http://lotro.mmorsel.com/p/lord-of-rings-online-leveling-guide.html?gclid=CP7X_J6r_aMCFVjW5wodJBBlIA

That leveling guide has one handy feature in that it mentions the areas for each leveling range and gives the amount of deeds and quests in each one.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »
    It seems that Premium means you can only do the Fast Travel horses.

But you can pay 250 points to use them for one hour!

Yeah no thanks.

If you spend the 295 points for the Riding Trait in the shop, you can purchase one of the 500s horses at the stables north of bree, and use it no problem.

We found this out after some SCIENCE! last night.

edit: Forgot to mention though, the Bree Starter Horse and Grey Steed can ONLY be used by subscribers, not premiums or F2p'ers.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You can start that horse club you were talking about now.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sons of Anarchy LOTRO edition coming soon, I just need to get some black dye and a leather jacket.

Lvl 21 Captain reporting for awesome:
    JtkKO.png

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Suds wrote: »

Wait...

Are you able to transfer your characters to Landroval? How?

No, he's trasferring from one European server to another European server. ;)
    Echo wrote: »
    My Minstrel is transfering over now, but I still can't decide if I want to stick with the Warden or the Minstrel.
    Meh, I'd play both if you can't pick. There's plenty of content later on to diversify your leveling experience. On my first toon I did practically everything (took me ages to get to 60 :P) on my burgirl I'm trying to level slightly efficiently and skipped the whole of Trollshawls and instead did a few skirmishes and the whole Narsil questline in Evendim. Now I'm 49 and I haven't touched Goblin Town and Eregion at all.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    From Doc Holiday's MMO Blog
    * With regard to the Isengard Expansion (Kate Paiz):
    o isengard is tentatively slated for next year, and we’ll be approaching the zone in the timeline in which saruman has already denuded the area, and has created his orc factory. players will likely have access to some of the underground areas, but obviously with saruman in the big tower, access to the upper regions is likely to be challenging :)
    * With regard to Radiance (Jalessa)
    o We took Radiance outside, tied it up to some railroad tracks, and…well…I think you saw the end of this in Red Dead Redemption. Look for this in the future – we will be removing Radiance from LOTRO.

Aldo on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone know which of the new servers has the highest pop? Is it Riddermark?

Karrmer on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    My Minstrel is transfering over now, but I still can't decide if I want to stick with the Warden or the Minstrel.
    Meh, I'd play both if you can't pick. There's plenty of content later on to diversify your leveling experience. On my first toon I did practically everything (took me ages to get to 60 :P) on my burgirl I'm trying to level slightly efficiently and skipped the whole of Trollshawls and instead did a few skirmishes and the whole Narsil questline in Evendim. Now I'm 49 and I haven't touched Goblin Town and Eregion at all.

Oh, I want to play them both. I just need to focus on one at a time for 5-6 levels so I don't do the exact same content twice in a row.

Echo on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want you to come play on Landroval and be awesome like us.

I have a high-20s Captain on Landroval. :P

Now where the hell do I download the US client? The site refuses to tell me.
    For the record: I am the only lv65 warden in my kin and we have about 100 members.

Wait...

What.

KiTA on
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is really tempting to buy; http://www.direct2drive.com/6/9814/product/Buy-The-Lord-of-The-Rings-Online%E2%84%A2-VIP-Starter-Pack-Download

I wonder if I can apply the code to an already existing account?

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    This is really tempting to buy; http://www.direct2drive.com/6/9814/product/Buy-The-Lord-of-The-Rings-Online%E2%84%A2-VIP-Starter-Pack-Download

If you can I'd be game to pick one up. it's a good deal.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think i'm gonna just risk it and see if I can. At $5 i'm not losing anything. I don't know what i'm going to do with a second account though, if this doesn't work.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think i'm gonna just risk it and see if I can. At $5 i'm not losing anything. I don't know what i'm going to do with a second account though, if this doesn't work.

Keep me updated on it's workings or non workings. Thanks.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Entaru wrote: »

D2D wouldn't let me buy it, but someone else in my kin gave it a try and it wouldn't work for them either.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

D2D wouldn't let me buy it, but someone else in my kin gave it a try and it wouldn't work for them either.

Thanks for biting the bullet and trying it, anyways.

Edit: Hopefully tonight when I get home my fresh client install will let me play. between being sick and my old client being messed up I missed the head start completely.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Entaru wrote: »

That's disappointing, I was wondering if it would work myself.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huh. With the turbine account I used in beta, I can log in with the launcher, but see all the servers as down. After making new account and logging in with that, I see the servers up and can actually play. Odd.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Huh. With the turbine account I used in beta, I can log in with the launcher, but see all the servers as down. After making new account and logging in with that, I see the servers up and can actually play. Odd.
    Beta account only gives you access to Bullroarer Test Server.

Aldo on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Karrmer wrote: »
    Does anyone know which of the new servers has the highest pop? Is it Riddermark?

Hard to tell after 3 days. Among the old servers, Riddlemark is the target server for “leet” PVMPers. They are so 1337 that they want to re-roll creeps on a new, empty server, so they can farm DP and maps without any freeps interfering..... ::facepalm::

Brandywine is the largest “old” server, followed by Landroval (unofficial RP-server), Elemdil (sp? the unofficial Oceanic server). Other “old” servers are less populated.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I have an existing premium account. When you buy the starter pack, D2D gives you two codes, one for the 1000 Turbine Points and the other for the 30 day VIP. I've successfully claimed the Turbine Points by using the code at the LOTRO Store. Not sure about the VIP since I'm going to save that for later, although I've heard many that it isn't working. I'm not sure if they tried the code at the LOTRO Store or the MyTurbine site though. The code might only work at the MyTurbine account site, or just doesn't work at all for existing accounts. :?

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pajama_Man wrote: »

I have an existing premium account. When you buy the starter pack, D2D gives you two codes, one for the 1000 Turbine Points and the other for the 30 day VIP. I've successfully claimed the Turbine Points by using the code at the LOTRO Store. Not sure about the VIP since I'm going to save that for later, although I've heard many that it isn't working. I'm not sure if they tried the code at the LOTRO Store or the MyTurbine site though. The code might only work at the MyTurbine account site, or just doesn't work at all for existing accounts. :?

After seeing this, I decided to give it a try as well. I was able to get the points (1000 points for $5 is a good deal even if the VIP month doesn't work!). Am also holding off on VIP for the time being. To redeem the points I went to the LOTRO store and selected Turbine Points Card.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yeah no thanks.

If you spend the 295 points for the Riding Trait in the shop, you can purchase one of the 500s horses at the stables north of bree, and use it no problem.

edit: Forgot to mention though, the Bree Starter Horse and Grey Steed can ONLY be used by subscribers, not premiums or F2p'ers.

So you mean I can buy my own mount but not Bree Starter Horse and Grey Steed?

Or is that all of the low-level mounts?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't suppose anyone has turned a trial account(I did the trial about a year ago) into an active F2P account?

Turbine knows I have an account, but it's not helping me to know if it registers it as being for LOTRO.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone has turned a trial account(I did the trial about a year ago) into an active F2P account?

Turbine knows I have an account, but it's not helping me to know if it registers it as being for LOTRO.

You should be able to just log in using the same username/password as before.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah no thanks.

So you mean I can buy my own mount but not Bree Starter Horse and Grey Steed?

Or is that all of the low-level mounts?

Yes, the other mounts are 500s, there's a couple different kinds.

NOTE: NEW ITEM REQUIRED TO BE IN KIN AVAILABLE VIA SHOP.

"Inn League Survival Pack" (195 Points):

BX9vN.png
    sDa8T.png

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I love the backpacks! A lot of them kind of hang really far off the back of your character, though, and look kinda weird imo. I'm probably going to get one of the Cooking/Map themed ones, but maaaybe the Forester one (has a hatchet on it!). I don't think I am going to use Skirmish marks for a while so I will probably get one through that, assuming there's a decent backpack to be had with the first campaign marks ... might have to wait for the 2nd tier of Skirmishes, actually, before I can get it. :(

I'm up to like 800 points now but I'm torn about actually spending them! Mostly because I want to hash out the numbers for how many points I would have to spend before I can play the game at any level while letting my subscription lapse ... I'll have like 2000 points by the time these three months are over, and I can live with stuff like 3 bags/5 auction slots/no wardrobe. It's a tough call which quest packs I would buy, though. Do I get the ones going forward or the ones going back, so I can level alts through the mid-game? Hohum.

Or do I just spend it on fancy cosmetic hats

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    I want you to come play on Landroval and be awesome like us.

I have a high-20s Captain on Landroval. :P

Now where the hell do I download the US client? The site refuses to tell me.
    For the record: I am the only lv65 warden in my kin and we have about 100 members.

Wait...

What.

KiTA on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    my.lotro.com has been revamped... and i can't find lotteries anymore... I am a sad panda.

Cobell on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    HUGE NEWS FROM THE DEV CHAT:

Radiance gear is no more; they are removing the radiance requirements for raids from the game in the very near future.

Hey, awesome. So I busted my ass to get gear I no longer need. Sweet! That totally makes me want to invest more time in LOTRO. :x

Bah. I'm updating now. Hopefully they'll have fixed the "this game doesn't work on a system that's actually up-to-date" thing. :cry:

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Triple B wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    HUGE NEWS FROM THE DEV CHAT:

Radiance gear is no more; they are removing the radiance requirements for raids from the game in the very near future.

Hey, awesome. So I busted my ass to get gear I no longer need. Sweet! That totally makes me want to invest more time in LOTRO. :x

Bah. I'm updating now. Hopefully they'll have fixed the "this game doesn't work on a system that's actually up-to-date" thing. :cry:

Hope you can get it working. TBS is not the same without Hjartad....

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does anybody know a good alternative to the down loader on the official site? It keeps crashing after about 15 minutes.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.