Options

Video Game Industry Thread: August's done, go to the new one

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Look, guys... If you're going to make a giant robot/mech game for the Kinect, you fucking do it right.

Observe

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, Robot Jox. Such a horrible, horrible movie that even giant robots couldn't save it.

Would make an excellent Kinect game though.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I dunno, I'm a huge blizzard fanboy and I still can't say with 100% certainly that Blizzard's decision to split SC2 into three parts wasn't due, in part at least, from Activision meddling. It just fits into Kotick's "Spam the shit out of every franchise" plan too well.

At this point, I'm just hoping the quality stays high.

My take is that maybe the Activision side suggested it initially, but it probably was a Blizzard decision overall. Honestly given how excellent the final product is, I can't really say it was a bad one. I don't even see how they would have done the Terran campaign at 1/3 the size - they'd have had to cut pretty much all of the non-essential missions (i.e. all Tosh and Ariel missions probably for sure, and then a few others).

Nah, you'd just give them each a mission specifically about them, and tie the rest of their development around other missions. It wouldn't be SUPER hard to consolidate a lot of the game.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow. Steel Battalion without a controller. You know, at first it didn't make sense to me but then I realized they're just moving the control scheme from "awesome mech fantasy" to "Power Ranger style."

Enjoy the controller-less future, kiddies.

So did anyone else have an erection from the thought of D-Day + mechs?

Juvenile Sexual humor aside, I question the wisdom of taking a notoriously complex game that required tutorials and presenting a "re-imagined" sequel with motion controls.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Activision's apparent new stance on in-game advertisements is that they aren't necessary.

This could go a long way for Kotick's image in the eyes of gamers.

In-game advertising makes sense in certain titles, like Tony Hawk or Guitar Hero that use real-world products.

Give me a break. In-game "real" guitars sponsored by Fender or whoever? Fine.

But in Guitar Hero 3, there was a venue where the camera started out focused on a bunch of buckets of KFC chicken before panning out to the stage. Yeah.

But it's totally a stealth insult at bands that sell out! Or something.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Look, guys... If you're going to make a giant robot/mech game for the Kinect, you fucking do it right.

Observe

I'm sorry, was that a cock-saw?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    Robot Jox Trailer

I'm sorry, was that a cock-saw?

Yes, and you're not sorry. :winky:

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    Well, I guess Kinect now has two Killer Apps... Dance Central and Steel Battalion.

I, for one, would buy a Dancing Mech game

How do you think Steel Battalion is going to be played?

Who knows. I could see it being on rails and I also see From Software going crazy and trying to get you to interact with the controls shown on-screen. Can't imagine that'd work too well, given some of the problems Kinect's had.
    Sheep wrote: »
    New Steel Batallion.

New Panzer Dragoon.

thumb_happycry.gif

Not Panzer Dragoon, just inspired by it.

Close enough.

Sheep on
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Does it still count as trolling when you say something intended to get a reaction out of a specific person, but you know they won't be able to see it?

Unco admitted he's not actually ignoring me a few days ago, and I meant it as a lighthearted tease rather than a troll (since he absolutely loathes the new direction, and I'm sure this will make him even less happy with it--it did me, so I share his pain).

Pretty much. I haven't been shy of my dislike of Capcom since they lost Kamiya and Mikami but this is an absolute joke. Someone on GAF described Capcom as Sega in slow motion and it seems like a pretty apt comparison to me.

Please don't say stuff like that. Capcom is my last third-party hope. Let them FILL YOUR SOUL WITH LIGHT.

(or alternatively, let them replace yer jerkin' it arm with wife-bits.)

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's more like what Konami did to Silent Hill really. Oh we have this awesome series that everyone loves let's give it to some assholes to ruin.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Re: In game advertising.

It doesn't bother me in the least if it's done well and it doesn't intrude in my gaming. I mean, in Burnout Paradise they just periodically change the billboards...and that is fine since I don't have to look at them if I don't want to.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It only works in modern-era(Maybe even some futuristic) games. Trying to use it in any other setting will shatter any immersion.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Steel Battalion for Kinect is the most insane game announcement of all time. What's next Quake Kinect?

That is too sane. Microsoft Space Simulator.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So did anyone mention the fact that the Ico + Shadow of the Colossus collection was confirmed on the Playstation blog and not only will it be in HD, but it'll also have 3D support?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407459

Epic.

Radiant Silvergun announced for the 360.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yea, it's a pretty awesome announcement. It's no Ratchet & Clank Collection though. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Muramasa and Odin Sphere coming to Live/PSN.
    1UP has heard from sources here in Japan that Vanillaware will be releasing Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Odin Sphere as downloadable ports. No word on which consoles, but it's reasonable to assume that they will appear on both PSN and Xbox Live Arcade.

Couldn't give a shit about Odin Sphere, but Muramasa I'd like to take for a spin.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cool. At $40, I passed on Muramasa, but as a $15 download game on the 360, I'd definitely pick it up.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sheep on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    And the old games coming back news just keeps getting better and better. Guess what just showed up on the ESRB website as being for the PS3/PSP (i.e. PS1 classic)?

Alundra & Arc the Lad.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Re: In game advertising.

It doesn't bother me in the least if it's done well and it doesn't intrude in my gaming. I mean, in Burnout Paradise they just periodically change the billboards...and that is fine since I don't have to look at them if I don't want to.

Yeah, ads that are in billboards in games don't bother me, and even ads that show up on any sort of loading screen. If the game itself is interrupted for an ad though, we've got problems. I think APB is the only game to have such a system though, as far as I'm aware.

Henroid on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    1UP has heard from sources here in Japan that Vanillaware will be releasing Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Odin Sphere as downloadable ports. No word on which consoles, but it's reasonable to assume that they will appear on both PSN and Xbox Live Arcade.

Couldn't give a shit about Odin Sphere, but Muramasa I'd like to take for a spin.

I thought Odin Sphere was the better game.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I remember Odin Sphere had some major lag issues on the PS2. Hopefully they fix those up and increase the field of view for the XBLA version - those 2 changes alone would drastically improve the quality of the game.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I thought Odin Sphere was the better game.

I hear Murasama wasn't that great. Odin Sphere was okay, but really repetitive and shallow.

Sheep on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gamasutra wrote:
    In fact, Greenberg is very bullish on Kinect, predicting three million sales this holiday season, globally.

"Our key indicators are feedback from retailers -- I think you'd be surprised at how sophisticated they are, and they really have the pulse of the market. They're looking at preorders, they're talking to customers.

"We're also done our own research. We believe this will be the biggest launch in our history, for Xbox. We will sell more Kinect sensors than we did [systems] at Xbox 360 launch."

"Our estimates that we will sell in excess of 3 million units this holiday," The company is spending "hundreds of millions" of dollars in marketing, "exceeding in what we did when we launched the original Xbox 360," says Greenberg.

Wouldn't it make more sense to lower the cost of Kinect?

link

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You hear wrong. It's pretty great. Not the greatest but it's great.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    3 million Kinects sold world-wide this holiday season? That's a generous estimate. Was that made before or after the stuff coming out of TGS?

Henroid on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Publishers blowing loads and loads of money on anti-marketing? I'm shocked! Shocked like a mo-fo!

X-Play - The True Hollywood Story
    It was really kinda sad, actually. Like watching an episode of COPS
    I've never seen so many copies of Mario Galaxy and heroin in the same place.
    Now we go back to doing what we do best! Dissing Final Fantasy! ...and Kingdom Hearts. I really hate Kingdom Hearts. Pansy-ass Disney motherfuckers...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gamasutra wrote:
    In fact, Greenberg is very bullish on Kinect, predicting three million sales this holiday season, globally.

"Our key indicators are feedback from retailers -- I think you'd be surprised at how sophisticated they are, and they really have the pulse of the market. They're looking at preorders, they're talking to customers.

"We're also done our own research. We believe this will be the biggest launch in our history, for Xbox. We will sell more Kinect sensors than we did [systems] at Xbox 360 launch."

"Our estimates that we will sell in excess of 3 million units this holiday," The company is spending "hundreds of millions" of dollars in marketing, "exceeding in what we did when we launched the original Xbox 360," says Greenberg.

Wouldn't it make more sense to lower the cost of Kinect?

link

...what's up with execs making ludicrously hyperbolic predictions lately?

At any rate. Does Sony have any conferences or things planned for TGS, or have they missed the window to announce a PSP2?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You hear wrong. It's pretty great. Not the greatest but it's great.

Pretty much this. Take all of the problems of Odin Sphere, remedy them, and bring in a Eastern Setting, Bam, you've got Muramasa. Plenty of replayability too, Where in once you complete a characters main story line, you can combat those bosses from the other characters story lines, unlocking swords to unlock different endings.

Combat's pretty simple though, thankfully however it's flashy and really combo-y so it's still pretty fun. it's certainly better than Odin Sphere.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rex Dart wrote: »

...so the strategy is still "continue milking the system in Japan for another few months while handing the entire western world to the 3DS on a silver platter."

Probably not the wisest long-term plan.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SavyGamer just got featured in an article on MCV
    Tomorrow marks the arrival of PlayStation Move on the UK High Street – and perhaps it’s not surprising to see Tesco undercutting the rest of the market to offer the new controller at the lowest price.
    Online portal Tesco Direct is currently selling the PlayStation Move Starter Pack for just £39.70. Furthermore, consumer advice site SavyGamer points out that the use of an online voucher can bring the total price of both the Start Pack and Navigation Controller for just £53.70.

People in the comments are saying that it's below cost from distributors.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just wonder if Capcom will go to the 3DS with Monster Hunter. That'd be a serious blow to PSP.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, catching up on the thread - I would buy the crap out of a G Gundam Kinect game. Its my favorite good bad anime.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    I just wonder if Capcom will go to the 3DS with Monster Hunter. That'd be a serious blow to PSP.

Monster Hunter 3 did quite well, even in the west, so its not outside the realm of possibility.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

...so the strategy is still "continue milking the system in Japan for another few months while handing the entire western world to the 3DS on a silver platter."

What kind of plan would be able to go toe to toe with the 3DS especially with Nintendo getting a decent head start?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited September 2010

What kind of plan would be able to go toe to toe with the 3DS especially with Nintendo getting a decent head start?

True, the odds are stacked against Sony on this one, but a PSP2 coming out at the same time as/shortly after the 3DS would give them a slightly better shot than to have the 3DS unopposed and able to build up an insane amount of momentum.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

True, the odds are stacked against Sony on this one, but a PSP2 coming out at the same time as/shortly after the 3DS would give them a slightly better shot than to have the 3DS unopposed and able to build up an insane amount of momentum.

But then they wouldn't have enough time to copy Nintendo's glasses-less 3D technology!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

But then they wouldn't have enough time to copy Nintendo's glasses-less 3D technology!

I'd be willing to bet that's the absolute LAST thing Sony would put in a PSP2, just behind a spiked robotic tentacle that anally rapes the player every seven minutes. They likely don't want to do anything to discourage people from buying 3DTVs with glasses.

cloudeagle on