As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remember [Chat]

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Wouldn't a person who frequently drinks and dates be more at risk of "random" rape (ignoring the whole fact that most happen at home by significant others) overall if we are going by the stereotype?

Get this outta here

Oh God I'm quoting this.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hoooolllllly shiiiiiiiiiit

tyrannus on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

Speaking of H/A, I am so glad that Ceres is a mod again.

Oh man I just now looked at that cat thread

That was glorious

Nocturne on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh and add some subtle clues that he was a traitor in the early movies like a bump under the skin of his forearm or something

just because I love going out of the theater and realizing a thing like that

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »

Did they get to the part about the strippers? Filth

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

Speaking of H/A, I am so glad that Ceres is a mod again.

Oh man I just now looked at that cat thread

That was glorious

I'm telling you. Spanking a cat is the same as choking a baby. H/A is full of such useful knowledge.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Garlic chicken is almost done I think! I need to get a thermometer, maybe the one Alton Brown uses which is pretty sweet, so I can better gauge when it's finished.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm at the california energy crisis part. jesus christ I hope these people got tortured

tyrannus on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sarksus, I think you had already logged off when I said, but that thing you posted about APB was super interesting.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I'm at the california energy crisis part. jesus christ I hope these people got tortured

Just you wait

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I propose bringing up rape in the chat should be an infractable offense

seriously STFU already

also, dwarf fortress.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wouldn't a person who frequently drinks and dates be more at risk of "random" rape (ignoring the whole fact that most happen at home by significant others) overall if we are going by the stereotype?

Get this outta here

Assuming the virgin/whore stereotype like in that thread, the whore will have more contact with potential rapists who will rape her despite her not being sexually attracted to him. Meanwhile, the virgin will be saving herself for her future husband and never leaves his sight, reducing the possibility of rape. Therefore we should believe that a whore is more likely to be raped than a quintessential virgin as a whole. If a whore says she is raped, well that is just statistics (stereotypes) coming home to roost so shouldn't be unexpected. It is the virgin who we obviously shouldn't trust!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

seriously STFU already

also, dwarf fortress.

NooooooOOooooooOooooooo

a new version just came out this week and everything

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    sarksus, I think you had already logged off when I said, but that thing you posted about APB was super interesting.

Oh yeah, I think I had. I'm glad you liked it, I thought it was really insightful.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am going to hell.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

seriously STFU already

also, dwarf fortress.

NooooooOOooooooOooooooo

a new version just came out this week and everything

Too bad! I don't want to have to not read it!

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What was added to Dwarf Fortress. I haven't played in awhile.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

Oh yeah, I think I had. I'm glad you liked it, I thought it was really insightful.

I need to check that out then.

I mean, these guys had to set some kind of record. Not even Tabula Rasa was this crazy.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    @Couscous as much as I disagree with it Will already did tell us to leave the rape discussion out of chat and to discuss it in the rape thread.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ok, new topic: RUSE

It's super, super rad. But the multiplayer servers are a fucking ghost town. I swear people have no taste nowadays.

The whole line of sight thing, only needing 20-25 minutes for a full and satisfying game, the rock fucking solid codebase (seriously, this thing has never crashed or disconnected on me once), the whole board-game-like motif are great.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Get this outta here

Seriously.

I don't think Will was kidding when he said "drop the fucking rape shit in [Chat]"

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

I mean, these guys had to set some kind of record. Not even Tabula Rasa was this crazy.

http://lukehalliwell.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/where-realtime-worlds-went-wrong/

There's three parts and he's writing a fourth.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What was added to Dwarf Fortress. I haven't played in awhile.

This is just for .13. Not sure what was the last one you played. In general, it is very playable now and the 2010 stuff is up to par with .42 along with all the new stuff they brought in.
    Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

The framework for villages and sprawl is in place, and there are now "entity populations" which are made up of thousands of critters for which less information is tracked. As it stands, this amounts to, say, ten times the number of historical figures after world generation has been running for a while, though it can vary a lot. These changes have left adventure mode gutted, so don't expect old adventure mode saves to retain much information or work all that well. Old dwarf mode saves should be fine for continued dwarf fortresses. In new worlds, you can wander around the new villages, but don't expect anything to be going on. This is the launching pad for what should be the Funification of adventure mode in the next (non-fix) release, but like many launching pads, it is kind of dull and gray.

As for the merits of this release, there are the bug fixes in the lists below. The game should also be a bit faster. I'm on a new compiler in Windows, which led to a general speed increase, and I also optimized some code for improvements on all OSs. It's not the end of the story there by a long shot, but it is progress, anyway. World generation itself might be a bit slower overall, since there's a lot more going on site-wise. This is going to change as we set up relationships between the leaders, one way or another, but I can make a medium island world in around 10 minutes without the memory going totally nuts, and I thought that state was fit for release.

There are some side effects to not having any stable relationships between world gen sites while cutting down on site destructions, like having a site get pillaged for the thousandth time and so on, which will iron themselves out later. For now, it's a bit weird. I also saw a battle with negative numbers of soldiers but couldn't reproduce the situation, so there are probably additional issues as well.

The SDL version has the first pass at the experimental TrueType font support that Baughn is working on. It is off by default in init.txt and it only works in the 2D print mode. There are lots of justification etc. problems -- you don't need to report those. Getting those fixed up is part of the process. It's difficult to read in the standard window size, so you might want to limit yourself to full-screen or a large window with large grid cells when you are trying it out.

The SDL Windows version may be missing some DLLs. The additional DLLs are here in case it comes up. Just unzip that in the main folder. Hopefully I'll have a Mac version together soon -- I need to update GCC to get the new SDL stuff to run (as well as some of the new optimizations), and that is taking time.

I'll post fixes as necessary before embarking on the next proper release. I changed a lot of stuff between entity populations and optimizations, so I'd be surprised if there weren't a bag of issues.

Crash fixes
    (*)fixed some potential problems with aborting zone placement, though it's not guaranteed to solve the crash there

Major bug fixes
    (*)fixed problem causing dwarves to not sleep in any bed
    (*)fixed problem causing dwarves not to respect ownership in sleeping priorities
    (*)made cursor center on buildings properly when linking them up to a lever etc.
    (*)stopped other civilizations from bringing liaisons
    (*)stopped building destroyer diplomats/traders from destroying things
    (*)made units check the validity of targets more often (counters certain interrupt spam)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
    (*)fixed broken vial making jobs
    (*)make rock short swords use the proper material for the final product
    (*)made horn silver use the stone template
    (*)moved all native metals off of metal template
    (*)stopped season counter from resetting to spring after travel in adventure mode

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sequel idea:

opening shots are identical, except that it's a different wasteland - noticeably, so we know it isn't recap

then the rest of the plot sort of follow the first one with his plan working as intended

seen in a new way of course because this time we know he's just following a plan

but this time the clues are more obvious and we're not the only ones to notice them

another member of the group is onto him

the rest of the movie he tries to avoid the rest of the group believing the suspicious guy

and has to try to hide better from skynet, and try to avoid the group from noticing how skynet seems to be onto them, without them getting suspicious, in a number of tense scenes

ideas for scenes: trust in main character in the group is frayed right after a skynet gunships nearly tore the entire group apart

he stabs himself in the arm deep enough to convince people that he's definetely not a very crafty terminator and that skynet is after him just as much as them

maybe it ends with the main character killed by suspicious character and everyone else dead

then suspicious character is captured and lead to the interrogation room where he gets the thingy inserted in his arm and is told how long he has to get re-captured with a human group before it'll send nerve toxin coarsing through his body

hm.

eh, weaker than the original idea.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Get this outta here

Seriously.

I don't think Will was kidding when he said "drop the fucking rape shit in [Chat]"

Shit like this needs to be stickied. People cant hang around [chat] 24\7 and expect to pick up on everything.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

http://lukehalliwell.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/where-realtime-worlds-went-wrong/

There's three parts and he's writing a fourth.

Thank you.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's super, super rad. But the multiplayer servers are a fucking ghost town. I swear people have no taste nowadays.

The whole line of sight thing, only needing 20-25 minutes for a full and satisfying game, the rock fucking solid codebase (seriously, this thing has never crashed or disconnected on me once), the whole board-game-like motif are great.

well sure, but I'm bad at it

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2010

This will not make me purchase but will get me to download the shit out of the demo tonight.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Get this outta here

Seriously.

Shit like this needs to be stickied. People cant hang around [chat] 24\7 and expect to pick up on everything.

I don't think it's a permanent "You can never talk about this in [chat]" thing so much as it's been spilling over into [chat] way too much recently.

So I think it works just to have people mention it when it's brought up.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what is tyrannus doing?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    man, I have to spend, like, 3 hours on a bus tomorrow morning

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    what is tyrannus doing?

I think watching the documentary about ENRON and getting pissed.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    man, I have to spend, like, 3 hours on a bus tomorrow morning

Nerd, even though I probably cant play much MNC because we're not in the same timezone, just wanted to let you know I haven't accepted your xbl friend request yet because I've been getting home from work too late to do anything on xbl.

I'll accept this weekend.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Get this outta here

Seriously.

I don't think it's a permanent "You can never talk about this in [chat]" thing so much as it's been spilling over into [chat] way too much recently.

So I think it works just to have people mention it when it's brought up.

Meta-modding just pisses me off, and kinda makes me want to bring it up more.
    But that's the Aspie in me.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    woo, heading home. Scratch one soul crushingly long and depressing week.

Probably going to play some LOTRO when I get home so I might see some of you in a bit. later chat.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what is tyrannus doing?

He's watching ENRON: The Smartest Guys in the Room. It's an awesome doc but it is incredible how unrealistically mustache-twirlingly evil these guys (and girls) were. It makes everybody really mad.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's not meta-modding when a mod is doing it, Joker

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what is tyrannus doing?

I think watching the documentary about ENRON and getting pissed.

Not the worst thing to get pissed while watching. My favorite, I'm in a bad mood and want it to fester, documentary is Food Inc. though.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's not meta-modding when a mod is doing it, Joker

Yeah in this case its more, "Hey just a few pages ago Will said not to do that so... well the choice is up to you"

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what is tyrannus doing?

He's watching ENRON: The Smartest Guys in the Room. It's an awesome doc but it is incredible how unrealistically mustache-twirlingly evil these guys (and girls) were. It makes everybody really mad.

documentaries are great.

It's interesting to watch them develop narratives

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.