As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Muslims vs america [national burn the quaran day] cancelled by the pastor]

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Most of our society is based upon the society that took part in the Crusades. Not surprisingly, so is most of the Arabic areas. Even though there was a ton of stupid bloodshed, it mostly lead to the Renaissance of Europe because of the free trade of ideas from the scientifically superior Arabic nations to the barbaric tribes and armies of the West. Yeah, they were pretty primitive in comparison to most of those countries.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Conquest of Italy? What conquest? The Roman? The one caused by tribal migrations? It's defeat in WWII? What the fuck are you talking about?

He probably means Spain.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You do realize that it's part of what they consider a long history of invasions and occupations by the west, right?

Here's what I said.

You'll note the long history of thing.

So you've got your Crusades. You've got imperial games after the fall of the Ottoman Empire in particular. You've got the establishment of Israel by force. You've got the seizure of the Suez Canal (to our credit, we didn't support that). You've got the more recent Iraq War.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it's hard to understand how any of this should in anyway equate to us feeling guilty about the crusades.

Hell, isn't what they did pretty much accepatable and expected back in thos days anyway? That was sort of how that time period rolled, if you catch my meaning.

And still, our current issue with the Middle East has nothing to do with anything from those days. Our beef with them is pretty new, historically speaking, and had nothing to do with religion. It might now, but religion wasn't even penciled in, and then erased, for reasons to invade.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not from their perspective, which is my point.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Their perspective is pretty flawed.

Anyway, I was just curious why anyone would think we would feel even a little guilty about the crusades.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Their perspective is pretty flawed.

Anyway, I was just curious why anyone would think we would feel even a little guilty about the crusades.

It is what it is.

You have to deal with reality, not what we wish they would feel like.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've found that referring to them as "the middle east" is probably the most offensive thing most Americans have done to them directly.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I've found that referring to them as "the middle east" is probably the most offensive thing most Americans have done to them directly.

I'm gonna go with re-electing the guy who invaded Iraq and generally pissed all over them. But ok.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bowen wrote: »

I'm gonna go with re-electing the guy who invaded Iraq and generally pissed all over them. But ok.

Plus most of the shit we did in the Cold War.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You don't have to feel guilty about the crusades to try to understand how they influenced the middle east.

You are throwing out this "I don't see why I should feel guilty" canard as a way of dodging the entire issue of the western world's history in the middle east creating grievances that are still factor in our relations there. You don't feel personally guilty and there's really no reason you should. Using that as a cover for willful ignorance, on the other hand, is dumb.

ed: also, understanding the crusades as a purely religious war is lazy as fuck

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Maybe, but the volatile regimes in the Middle East still like to frame it that way when they need to fearmonger.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so what

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    so what

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it sounds like more special pleading. Apparently the Middle East can just act as ignorant as they want, while we just have to nod along.

Atomika on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Maybe, but the volatile regimes in the Middle East still like to frame it that way when they need to fearmonger.

You could say the same thing about Republicans when it comes to speaking about terrorism. This is the same group that pitched "they hate us for our freedoms!" after all.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You don't have to feel guilty about the crusades to try to understand how they influenced the middle east.

You are throwing out this "I don't see why I should feel guilty" canard as a way of dodging the entire issue of the western world's history in the middle east creating grievances that are still factor in our relations there. You don't feel personally guilty and there's really no reason you should. Using that as a cover for willful ignorance, on the other hand, is dumb.

Ignorant on their part for trying to lump us in with it. And their reality isn't the real world reality. Yes, making it about what everyone else has ever done to them and then tying it together as their religion being under attack makes it easier to recruit, but it doesn't come close to the reality of their current situation.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Ignorant on their part for trying to lump us in with it. And their reality isn't the real world reality. Yes, making it about what everyone else has ever done to them and then tying it together as their religion being under attack makes it easier to recruit, but it doesn't come close to the reality of their current situation.

Yeah, in their current situation the US is actually the biggest asshole. Wait, shit.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so what

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it sounds like more special pleading. Apparently the Middle East can just act as ignorant as they want, while we just have to nod along.

Because there's a difference between the richest first-world country on the planet, and the ME?

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah, in their current situation the US is actually the biggest asshole. Wait, shit.

Based on what now?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    so what

Because there's a difference between the richest first-world country on the planet, and the ME?

Of course there is. But this logic makes it difficult. It's hard to formulate diplomatic policy when one party is completely full of shit.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Based on what now?

Support for Mubarek and the Saudi Royal Family, invading Iraq, threatening Iran and Syria, unquestioning support for Israel no matter what heinous shit they pull...

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Based on what now?

Support for Mubarek and the Saudi Royal Family, invading Iraq, threatening Iran and Syria, unquestioning support for Israel no matter what heinous shit they pull...

I'm still not sure what Iraq was really about. Oil, country foothold, Jr showing up Sr, not a clue honestly. But I do know they all have one thing in common; none of them were about attacking the religion of Islam.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Based on what now?

I'm still not sure what Iraq was really about. Oil, country foothold, Jr showing up Sr, not a clue honestly. But I do know they all have one thing in common; none of them were about attacking the religion of Islam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOF6ZeUvgXs

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Based on what now?

Many of them don't see it that way.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Again, not our fault. What they see and what the truth is has nothing to do with us. Hasn't Obama tried to make it clear that we are not against their religion?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, it's too bad our actions don't back us up (in their world view). And our actions here have shown a pretty sizable fuck Muslims minority, which is of course, how this thread started.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

SO according to this guy it was because Iraq was the biggest easiest hand to smack? Strange fellow, by the way. Has a bit of a serial killer demeanor about him.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Again, not our fault. What they see and what the truth is has nothing to do with us. Hasn't Obama tried to make it clear that we are not against their religion?

Of course its not our fault. But "not our fault" doesn't make it go away. So you can either throw up your hands and let them think its a all out war on their society from the evil west or you can do what you can do stem that view, and calling our war against terrorists a crusade is a bad idea if you want to do that.

This is politics and war, you can't just decide "not our fault" and ignore the issue.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SO according to this guy it was because Iraq was the biggest easiest hand to smack? Strange fellow, by the way. Has a bit of a serial killer demeanor about him.

Also, the most respected foreign policy pundit in the country!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

D:

For speaking ill of Thomas Friedman, I hereby demote you to First Lieutenant Howdy.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    so what

It's more like, to reach long term agreements with middle eastern political factions in the service of more expansive trade and better human rights and also you know, less war, we will need to develop an understanding of the middle eastern view of foreign relations. It is not enough to say "well it isn't our fault" when to people in the middle east, the last hundred odd years of western colonialism look an awful lot like a continuation of the policies adopted by many of the same national powers during the (attempted) territorial expansion that was the crusades.

Is it entirely fair that the modern west continue to get flack for the actions of our medieval forebears? No, it isn't. It also isn't entirely fair that we continue to get flack for the weimar-era maneuvering that's largely responsible for the current state of the middle east.

On the other hand, it's entirely fucking dumb to try and wave those realities away by saying "it wasn't our fault" as though our historical memory should only be thirty or so years long and every new (western) political movement should be able to expect a clean slate in its middle eastern dealings. Because even if we could fairly expect that (questionable at best), it doesn't reflect the reality that we have to deal with.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

D:

For speaking ill of Thomas Friedman, I hereby demote you to First Lieutenant Howdy.

Thomas Friedman is a stupid, selfish, plutocratic, clueless jackass who can't write for shit.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    so what

It's more like, to reach long term agreements with middle eastern political factions in the service of more expansive trade and better human rights and also you know, less war, we will need to develop an understanding of the middle eastern view of foreign relations. It is not enough to say "well it isn't our fault" when to people in the middle east, the last hundred odd years of western colonialism look an awful lot like a continuation of the policies adopted by many of the same national powers during the (attempted) territorial expansion that was the crusades.

Is it entirely fair that the modern west continue to get flack for the actions of our medieval forebears? No, it isn't. It also isn't entirely fair that we continue to get flack for the weimar-era maneuvering that's largely responsible for the current state of the middle east.

On the other hand, it's entirely fucking dumb to try and wave those realities away by saying "it wasn't our fault" as though our historical memory should only be thirty or so years long and every new (western) political movement should be able to expect a clean slate in its middle eastern dealings. Because even if we could fairly expect that (questionable at best), it doesn't reflect the reality that we have to deal with.

I guess I'm just impatient and pessimistic about the West's chances of changing the culture over there. It's very likely that progressive Western liberalism will never be a reality over there in our lifetimes, if ever. And once either the oil runs out or a viable alternative is found, our policy towards the Arab peninsula will become much like ours towards Africa, i.e., "fuck 'em."

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

D:

Thomas Friedman is a stupid, selfish, plutocratic, clueless jackass who sounds like a serial killer.

Fixed. I don't know the guy well enough to back up your part of it, or argue against it. But the fixed part is incontestable.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    so what

I guess I'm just impatient and pessimistic about the West's chances of changing the culture over there. It's very likely that progressive Western liberalism will never be a reality over there in our lifetimes, if ever. And once either the oil runs out or a viable alternative is found, our policy towards the Arab peninsula will become much like ours towards Africa, i.e., "fuck 'em."

Enlightened and reasonable cultures have existed in the past there, and they can again.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what does a serial killer sound like, I wonder

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

D:

Thomas Friedman is a stupid, selfish, plutocratic, clueless jackass who can't write for shit.

I demote you to ArhatBum.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't imagine the context necessary to defend Friedman's comments from that video.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Enlightened and reasonable cultures have existed in the past there, and they can again.

True, but I think the leverage won't be in place until the Middle East is broken and bankrupt. As long as they have such a large share in the petroleum trade, things aren't going to change.

But then again, look at India, who has a much less oppressive religious culture. It's getting better, and it's a much friendlier place than most Arab countries, but it's still a horrible shithole with rampant poverty.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what does a serial killer sound like, I wonder

Youtube some of the more popular serial killers. A lot of them have a very subdued and quiet demeanor. It's really odd when they start talking about how they did it. You'd think a change in tone would accompany recounting the good times one had gutting people.

Capt Howdy on