Options

[GoG.com] GoG's holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fine, I will buy a DRM-free copy of this legendary game I've been hearing about for years. I don't even really care that the gameplay isn't great; I loved Alpha Protocol and that had a slew of not-great gameplay issues. Even if I hate it, the ten bucks is worth confirming whether or not I've missed out on something great.

But it had better be great. Or else.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bought. And I'm pretty sure I still have the CDs somewhere...

Yann on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I changed the game speed by changing the maximum framerate in Torment.ini from 40 to 60.

It's kind of awesome!

august on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Goosebumps Presents:
    Planescape: Torment, Choose Your Own Adventure

I actually thought about the feasibility of a PS:T Choose Your Own Adventure in Kindle format, but it wouldn't work because there's no way to handle things like inventory, and you'd have to rewrite whole areas of the story several times depending on which party members you have (like in that one famous scene with you-know-who midway through the game, that would require a separate writeup for every possible combination of party members)

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fine, I will buy a DRM-free copy of this legendary game I've been hearing about for years. I don't even really care that the gameplay isn't great; I loved Alpha Protocol and that had a slew of not-great gameplay issues. Even if I hate it, the ten bucks is worth confirming whether or not I've missed out on something great.

Just remember: Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma. All other stats are negligible.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I played through it for the first time ever last month, with the attitude that it was probably overrated but still something I should play.

I was wrong about the first half of that.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Klash wrote: »
    Goosebumps Presents:
    Planescape: Torment, Choose Your Own Adventure

I actually thought about the feasibility of a PS:T Choose Your Own Adventure in Kindle format, but it wouldn't work because there's no way to handle things like inventory, and you'd have to rewrite whole areas of the story several times depending on which party members you have (like in that one famous scene with you-know-who midway through the game, that would require a separate writeup for every possible combination of party members)

There ae gamebooks that do what you described. The iPhone has a couple entertaining ones.

edit: Time to sell/trade my disc copy.

solsovly on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Just remember: Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma. All other stats are negligible.

And turn the combat difficulty to the lowest setting. You'll want to trivialize as much of that as possible.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huh. Scoured the mortuary, had my cover blown, end up getting chased by a stack of giant skeletons with ritualistic rape-swords, speak with a prophetic ghost mid-combat (more like "mid-flee"), and escape through a secret portal to a tomb in the middle of nowhere.

If nothing else, an interesting start.

Also, numbered options for dialogue choices! What an amazing thing! Seriously, it pisses me off to no end when a game gives you dialogue choices and you have to use the mouse to select them. Just put some damn keypad-usable numbers on there, it isn't hard at all.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wonder how well Torment will run under Vista. GoG doesn't do anything to fix the games so they run better do they?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wonder how well Torment will run under Vista. GoG doesn't do anything to fix the games so they run better do they?

They do update. It should work under Vista.

august on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    august wrote: »

They do update. It should work under Vista.

They guarantee their games to work on XP, Vista, and now Windows 7.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How do they go about adding current OS compatability.

Do they wrap game files in some kind of emulation layer, Or are they given the source code by the original developers/IP owners to create compatability or..?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No fucking clue but it seems to work. Every game I've bought works flawlessly on my Win 7 x64 PC.

Actually, I think for the old DOS games they just package DOSbox with .cfg files already set up to work or something, but I could be wrong. Regardless of how they do it, it's pretty sweet.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Do they wrap game files in some kind of emulation layer, Or are they given the source code by the original developers/IP owners to create compatability or..?

Depends on the game. I think they just do some non-source code related fiddling until they tweak them just right. Of course everything DOS related comes with DOSBox built in.

august on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    august wrote: »

Depends on the game. I think they just do some non-source code related fiddling until they tweak them just right. Of course everything DOS related comes with DOSBox built in.

Yeah I figured that, but i suppose I should have mentioned that about DOS games in specific, as well.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    InexactQuotientInexactQuotient Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not meaning to piss anyone off, but I'm about 2 hours into the game, and it's kinda dull. Does it start to pick up at a certain point, or am I just doing it wrong somehow?

InexactQuotient on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Just as an FYI for anyone wondering, I've got Planescape running on Windows 7 and I haven't had a hitch. Seems pretty okay to me, but I've only played it for like an hour so far. Games this old either run fine right away or they seem to have permanent, unavoidable problems from the start.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It took me quite a while before it finally hooked me. I think after the crypts is when it got awesome for me.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not meaning to piss anyone off, but I'm about 2 hours into the game, and it's kinda dull. Does it start to pick up at a certain point, or am I just doing it wrong somehow?

Yes, there is one point that you should reach in another hour or three depending on how many sidequests you're doing where the game will sink its hooks in you and never let go.

When you find yourself searching an underground area for a bronze sphere, you'll know you're getting close.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's mostly about the story, the characters and the dialogue... The Mortuary is already full of cool shit, like the woman sewing corpses, the fake zombie, the huge skeletons you can disassemble and the ghost woman.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    InexactQuotientInexactQuotient Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cool, thanks. I really want to love this game as much as everyone else seems to.

InexactQuotient on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cool, thanks. I really want to love this game as much as everyone else seems to.

The most important thing you can do is take your time to talk to everyone, everything and everywhere. Don't rush, this is a game in which the journey is indeed awesome. Try checking every single zombie in the Mortuary, for instance. Most of them have interesting things going on.

After you leave the Mortuary, my favorite path is trying to become a mage ASAP, then go back to the area outside and do the stuff there too. Mage is my favorite class in this game.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, you're definitely not playing this right if you're not exploring every nook and cranny and talking to everyone you can.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    solsovly wrote: »
    There ae gamebooks that do what you described. The iPhone has a couple entertaining ones.

I demand names.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XP was released in 2001. 7 was released in 2009. They're practically the same compatibility wise so that's 8 years fans have had to figure out how to get their games working properly. The result? GoG doesn't have to do much more than a Google search.

As a side note, the OS gets a bit wrongfully blamed for all compatibility issues, tons of them are because of graphic cards/drivers. I guess ATI and Nvidia are happy breaking things left and right because they know they'll never be blamed for it anyway.

Zell on
  • Options
    gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not to interrupt the PS:T lovefest, since it's a great game and all that. Has anyone whose purchased MOO2 managed to set its sound correctly? I like the music, but it sounds very fuzzy with a lot of static on my PC, and I'm not so great at tweaking DOSBOX sound settings.

gnodab on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gnodab wrote: »
    Not to interrupt the PS:T lovefest, since it's a great game and all that. Has anyone whose purchased MOO2 managed to set its sound correctly? I like the music, but it sounds very fuzzy with a lot of static on my PC, and I'm not so great at tweaking DOSBOX sound settings.

The sound in MOO2 seems to work fine for me. I haven't had to make any adjustments.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OK, so I installed the resolution mod / UI mod, and they seem to work (installed the other fixpacks, game seems to load up fine).

However I'm thinking that setting my resolution to 1680x1050 might've been a bit much (if nothing else the cutscenes look tiny now), and I think I want to expand the UI text size some more.

Would running the installers for these mods again work, or would it just break the game?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    OK, so I installed the resolution mod / UI mod, and they seem to work (installed the other fixpacks, game seems to load up fine).

However I'm thinking that setting my resolution to 1680x1050 might've been a bit much (if nothing else the cutscenes look tiny now), and I think I want to expand the UI text size some more.

Would running the installers for these mods again work, or would it just break the game?

Changing the resolution will break your save games, but you probably aren't very far anyway.

Run the resolution mod again. I'd pick 1280 x whatever.

Then run the ui mod again.

You should be good to go.

august on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Excellent. I only loaded it up to have a look at the resolutions, haven't actually done anything yet other than that first conversation with Morte.

Since I'm downgrading the resolution, I reckon the 40% increased text size I chose last time ought to work better now.

subedii on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huh. Scoured the mortuary, had my cover blown, end up getting chased by a stack of giant skeletons with ritualistic rape-swords, speak with a prophetic ghost mid-combat (more like "mid-flee"), and escape through a secret portal to a tomb in the middle of nowhere.

Also, numbered options for dialogue choices! What an amazing thing! Seriously, it pisses me off to no end when a game gives you dialogue choices and you have to use the mouse to select them. Just put some damn keypad-usable numbers on there, it isn't hard at all.

Blame consoles and their stupid radial menu...ness

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Blame consoles and their stupid radial menu...ness

I don't think so, in this case. For some reason adventure games have been making you click on dialogue choices for ages.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »

I demand names.

Try some of these online: http://www.ffproject.com/

Iphone Gamebook Fantasy series: http://www.tinmangames.com.au/?page_id=203
    Multiple platform Fighting Fantasy: http://www.fightingfantasy.com/ (there are over 50 books)

solsovly on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »

I demand names.

Try some of these online: http://www.ffproject.com/

Iphone Gamebook Fantasy series: http://www.tinmangames.com.au/?page_id=203
    Multiple platform Fighting Fantasy: http://www.fightingfantasy.com/ (there are over 50 books)

I used to have a couple of the Fighting Fantasy books when they were actual books. They were lots of fun and could be hard as nails.

Drake on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry but did PS:T become available today?

Happy birthday to me

Happy birthday to meeeeee...

Oats on
  • Options
    spyduhspyduh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    spyduh on
  • Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    spyduh wrote: »

You know how I know GoG is awesome? If you hang out in a GoG thread somewhere, about every five pages or so someone will randomly come in and say something like this.

mattclem on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, they also got me to get this old favorite while I was getting Torment:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/raptor_call_of_the_shadows_2010_edition

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, ignoring some annoying lag issues (which seems to happen in a lot of my games) the game is working great, and none of the mods have given me any trouble.

SpeedySwaf on