As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    srsizzy those limbless funky head drawings are fuckawesome.

Naked - Is that how you carve your pumpkins? By eviscerating them and eating the innards?!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    doodles.jpg

Something I've been working on today between classes. I have a really hard time trying to color this. I can imagine how it would look, but I can't use the tools in photoshop to get it to how I want. Its just a complete lack of experience with using photoshop like that which has me stuck

I'm sure the proportions are all wacky and whatever. I haven't done a lot of serious character art in a long, long time. Anyway, any help with "painting" in photoshop would be appreciated, any other critiques would be cool too. I was going for like a Roman Gladiator kinda thing. He's clearly under geared in that regard though.

yeah i've made a tutorial for my method which is to me the easiest method of all:

http://beavotron.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2h8dxv

it's hard to be confronted with the millions of color choices in photoshop while maintaining good values
    so i do it this way!
    values first, then color on top. easy peasy.

beavotron on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    compsketch.jpg

Composition sketch for a 'Horsemen of the Apocalypse' contest over at cghub. Not happy with War's positioning, will play with it more. And then redesign him because he needs more War.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Little concept from class tonight, going to do more to it.

tartoadcopy.jpg

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    srsizzy - I like that :)
    aumni - Feels a little cramped...
    tonkka - Don't crop it so close to the tar frog.

----

Spent some time doing this portrait from a cool reference I found. Critique welcomed.

eWWDU.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I kept increasing the canvas size as I went along... I'll, well I'll do it again.

I can't draw small!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    F87 wrote: »
    ----

Spent some time doing this portrait from a cool reference I found. Critique welcomed.

[IMG]http://imgur.com/eWWDU.jpg[/ IMG][/img]

I think i know the photos you're talking about. She looks badass. Cool costume.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tonkka wrote: »

IM]

62.png

OH GAWD!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So with your approval I spent a little time working this up:

augh_shaft2.1.jpg

Anything glaringly wrong before I get too close to done?

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It looks to me like his left leg (the one trailing behind) is bending the wrong way. Not sure if it's a trick of how you painted the lighting.

Either way, though, I'm thinking the "pulls" in the fabric on his leg should be moving in the other direction, starting from the crotch area and pulling outward away from us. Not sure how clear that is...

e: I guess I should also say that I think this version is working, aside from what I just said. It's got a completely different feel than your original version. The last go made him seem kind of like a casual, carefree bandit-type of character, while this version seems more gung-ho Robin Hood type.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like the composition and rendering, but I'm not a big fan of the single hue of green. I mean you can keep everything green tinted, but just a little bit more color shift would make it pull together a little bit better.

cool.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i'd be okay with the green, if it wasn't clashing hard with the browns and reds in his skin and outfit
    if the color of the wood were to be reflecting the green of the leaves that much, then presumably, his clothing and skin would be reflecting it too, or you just gotta cheat it and pull some warmth into the trees.

i did a super quick color correct on this, i just tried to balance out the warmth of his skin with the cool greenyness of the background and ambient light:

augh_shaft2.1colorcorrect.jpg

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanks, guys! Special thanks, Beavs, for taking the time to do an adjust: this gives me a solid idea of where to go with colors.

Can someone else weigh in on the legs/draping thing Vargas was talking about? :?

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    really it's just a simple color adjust at the end squid... that's all i do, sort of cheating I guess, but you can keep doing what you're doing then mess around with the colors at the end, as long as your values are good, you can make the colors work... but I also have a tendency to work really minimally with color
    i do value block ins first, then a color overlay layer that basically uses somewhere between 2 and 4 colors, then i color adjust the whole thing, so that might work for me and not for others, it really depends on how you're treating your values i think.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    augh_shaft2.2.jpg

?

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the skeleton of his body is definitely off where the leg meets the waist. It looks like his upper leg just disappears into the folds of cloth (which I guess is his shirt?), but doesn't connect to anything.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hiya, PA:AC

I’m posting in this here doodle thread because I don’t have enough content to warrant a new thread yet. Almost every time I have posted though, I get ignored. Now, I don’t take this personally as I have not posted a lot or even frequently. I would like some words to be said about this character head study I’m working on below.

This guy used to be called Shaw Nevada – nowadays Elwood Rowe – and I still plan to use him as the main character for a comic series that I’ve been working on and reworking on for 2 years now called Nocks.
    Does he look like a generic anime character? I’m trying to stop that, but its coming along slowly – trying to find my own style, etc :3

Some observations from me since drawing this:
    - I drew in parallel lines (not seen here) for the features but things still look off to me.
    - I’m drawing in headphones on the bottom ones, but I think they could use some work.
    - This is a lot better than my work earlier this year (see my DA link) , but I think I still have a long way to go.

ElwoodRoweWIP.jpg

I also don’t have many art friends to make chat with. I’d like to chat with some of you, bounce off ideas and brainstorm basically.
    I’m Paichoto on Yahoo IM – I’ll leave it open if anyone wants to chat. If you have another chat program and want to chat with that then tell me, please. Also, yay paragraphs!

TL;DR I'm back from a great big art slump and want chat friends.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Squid- I dont agree with sizzy's crit about the skeleton but I do agree the leg looks off. I think its the rim light on the bottom of the leg (by the ass) thats making it appear detached

addressed tams crit about the tunic and pants crotch height.

Crtique is welcomed.

kingmidas2

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Arden, It looks like an anime character. Very angular with flat features. How do you want to get away from that, with more american cartoon influence, more realistic? Either way, it sounds like you have some studying to do, because if anything thats hitting anime on the money.

The right eye on the 3/4s view is squishing alor for how wide it looks on the strait forward view.

I'll talk to you, but I only have AIM, I'm afraid.

Ken,
    That shit looks badass. Only thing I would say is I don't feel like the blur is really portraying the right motion.

Iruka on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I like the composition and rendering, but I'm not a big fan of the single hue of green. I mean you can keep everything green tinted, but just a little bit more color shift would make it pull together a little bit better.

cool.jpg

I usually don't bother commenting on your work because we all know you're awesome, but I just wanted to say: fucking wow.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it looks like those waves are going to crash again, ken

124hldk.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    theworldhas.png

been busy/too tired to really go at anything lately so here's something ultra doodley

done almost completely in oc so you have to deal with my handwriting!

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    harrykharryk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's a preliminary thing for a school assignment.

wjmtV.png

The assignment is to use 2 pairs of identical shapes to create a logo-like? or otherwise interesting image.
    Too much stuff going on?

Tam wrote: »
    it looks like those waves are going to crash again, ken

124hldk.jpg

theworldhas.png

been busy/too tired to really go at anything lately so here's something ultra doodley

done almost completely in oc so you have to deal with my handwriting!

harryk on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    thanks robots!

tub2.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hate you and your incredible illustrations Tam, I hate them so goood.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Help me pick one to continue with:

TempleThumbs.jpg

If I go with the bottom version, I'll scrap the windows entirely and just make it more dungeon-like.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Mustang. Query: what do you gather is his nature and what he is doing?

Well, ND, the first looks like a castle and the second looks like a museum
    don't have a preference myself, but I hope that helps

Tam on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm digging the bottom one. I like the attention drawn to the statues and doorway.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ND I prefer the top one for its ambience, but gibs makes a pretty good point about the second one

doodling over texture mashups is funnnn
    sb166chasm.jpg

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    Thanks Mustang. Query: what do you gather is his nature and what he is doing?

He is a nocturnal predator that eats human children that play near the river bank.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    @ND : Well, the trouble here is they're both good, but they are both good in ways that serve different purposes when it comes to concept-art type stuff.

The first to me comes across the lines of a Half-Life 2 type mood, which is full of quiet, sorta lonely moments where the player is just meant to absorb their surroundings, take in the world. As such, having the statues pushed back with a focus on the daylight is good, as they are just there to hint at a broader world. (Also it kinda reminds me of Grand Central Station or one of those ridiculous Moscow subways stations, which is cool).

The second looks more interactive, with each of the statues specifically pointed out in a way that says they are something that requires you to go through a level/puzzle for each one, similar to the statues in Assassin's Creed 2. If you're going for something that you can expand on with closeup views of each statue and what their gameplay purpose is, I'd go with that one.

Whichever one you choose, I'd move your little character around. For the first, have the character coming down the stairs, sort of taking in the big expanse; for the second, have the character looking at/interacting with the statues, so the character serves to draw focus to the purpose of the location, rather being there just for scale reference.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It seems to me you should develop them both and put them on the same page in your portfolio. The direction games are headed it's certainly not uncommon for one room to be seen in multiple lighting situations...and it may help to show your versatility.

rts on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    @ND : I agree with cake on that.

hrm:
    angelss.jpg

[edit] I had a whiny paragraph here, but I just threw on some highlights and I feel much better.

props to gibs for his brush suggestion a while back -- the directional setting really makes it feel brushy.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh dear god, somebody step on them.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is seriously about 3 hours into shading. Shit is taking me forever.

Ink and Charcoal (traditional all the way! fuck digital! haha!).

1noelle2.jpg

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    McGibs wrote: »
    Tonkka wrote: »

IM]

62.png

OH GAWD!

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Then I was the pokemons.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ND - I really like the bottom one. But I'd still keep it all ornate, instead of making it more dungeony(ish?)...
    Like some lost ruins that got buried or something.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mes: what did digital ever do to you, huh?
    oh wait... did it... did it murder your parents?
    i'll feel pretty bad if it did.

beavotron on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    ND : I prefer the top one, but I like abandoned spaces. I agree with bacon and cake - they're both good, but for completely different reasons.

tynic on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Top one, ND. It's pulling off something different and more interesting than what you would expect that piece to be, if that makes any sense.

TheBog on
This discussion has been closed.