Options

The [Chat], not about Macs or WoW. Possibly about butts.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    i fucking love bittunes/chipmusic/whatever neckbeards call it

love

it

chiptunes are the folk music of our generation.

Someday the theme music from Commando on the Commodore 64 will be viewed in the same light as significant Bob Dylan music is viewed by baby boomers now.

Isn't indie folk revival music the folk music of our generation?

Folk revival is such an academic-fashion nexus constructed sort of thing that I don't think it can really qualify as the common music of the average folk.

desc on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    "Integrated graphics" means the card can't be replaced, it's built into the mobo, right?

integrated graphics is just there's a video capability built into the board, you can still install your own (non-shit) video cards and use those instead.

ig is also synonymous with "shit graphics"

ed: you typically don't add graphics cards to laptops in general

Yeah, this seemed like too good a deal.

Actually, after my place got burgled many years ago and my laptop was stolen (was my only computer) I picked up an e-machine from walmart since I was broke. I eventually upgraded the ram and tossed in a real video card and it was absolutely fine. In fact, the mobo I used until very recently was using the 6150 chipset. I'd look up the mobo product number and make sure it has a spare pci ex 16 slot (it almost certainly does) and you can throw a $100 - $200 dollar vid card in there to make it perfectly good for gaming.
    Spending another $150 on that computer pretty much negates the savings, though. Are these better?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    or wait, how is the us economically right now anyway?

we're the wealthiest nation in the world, presumably the largest economy, and our currency is still too strong to be competive in exports.

uh, isn't this the same thing

i don't think so. there is a difference between accumulated wealth and economic activity

I assumed you were talking about GPD nominal because uh

accumulated wealth is kind of 15th century

It's more like the average wealth of its citizens than the nation's accumulated wealth.

what are you talking about

what is "it"

In reference to the definition of "wealthiest nation", as opposed to "largest economy".

uh

which do you propose is which here

on second thought nevermind

but anyway

the US is the country in the world with the biggest economy, second largest economy, meaning, the nominal GDP of the US is higher than any other country. The american economy is the second largest, or the largest, depending on if you're using the EU or the eurozone

in the how many riches are there per person ranking you're about sixth in countries

I wasn't saying we were number one... just that the former you mentioned is largest economy and the latter is wealthiest nation... because you asked if there was a difference.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I made an inappropriate joke this morning to a good friend about something I said I wouldn't joke about. Feelin like a jackass.

So what are we looking at here, racial joke to a black person bad, or like told a domestic violence joke to someone with a frehs black eye?

Somewhere in between.

Well that's not bad. Just lets you know where the line is, next time they piss you off you've got that to use.

You're the devil

TL DR on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    I thought the problem with California was that their constitution is a sprawling thicket of contradictory policy written by any cretin that can gather a petition, most of whom disagree with each other.

I recall reading an article which implied that there was no reasonable course of action that could be taken to correct their economic slide because their constitution prohibited all of them.

I think I read somewhere that you need a smaller majority to spend than to cut

essentially

that's really all I know and it's enough

california's fuuuucked

Simple majority to pass referenda, 2/3 majority needed to raise taxes, iirc.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

love

it

Someday the theme music from Commando on the Commodore 64 will be viewed in the same light as significant Bob Dylan music is viewed by baby boomers now.

Isn't indie folk revival music the folk music of our generation?

Folk revival is such an academic-fashion nexus constructed sort of thing that I don't think it can really qualify as the common music of the average folk.

Was just trying to make the "folk music is the folk music of our generation" joke.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

love

it

i went to some show out in some converted loft out in the middle of nowhere bushwick last week with anamanaguchi and starscream and george and jonathon and some other people

dang

Arch on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

You're the devil

Opportunistic not evil. Just once you discovered a point of entry then when they believe they have an upper hand in a conversation, you've got a finisher.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I want to live in California but I don't know if i could stomach the referendum system.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    i don't think you can count the EU as a single economy yet. Not when your fiscal and economic policy involves jousting between Germany and France and you can't really even compel some shithole like Greece to behave themselves.

world bank and IMF does so I think I will too

just because there's bickering doesn't mean it's not a shared economy

you can't compel california to behave themselves with their budget either, for example

well

california isn't running a deficit because states don't run deficits.

the fact that their state government is in some level of disorder isn't commendable or anything, but it's nowhere near comparable to greece.

the eu is not an integrated economy, in spite of whether people sum up the components of various nations for purposes of certain comparisons. for that matter, some reports add mexico and canada to the US for purposes of the NA zone.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought the problem with California was that their constitution is a sprawling thicket of contradictory policy written by any cretin that can gather a petition, most of whom disagree with each other.

I recall reading an article which implied that there was no reasonable course of action that could be taken to correct their economic slide because their constitution prohibited all of them.

The California constitution is a textbook case of how not to do it.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    kaleedity wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I wrote a two page letter to a lawyer today that might as well have said "no u".

Late to the parade, but to what?

Arguing about who is at fault for a car accident. Each driver has provided an equally plausible version of events that holds the other driver at fault (they probably reversed into each other, but each driver says the other reversed into them when they were stationary).

The reasonable thing to do is to settle at split liability, which means each driver is equally at fault and each side pays half of the others costs. That's what we've offered, because if we actually litigate over it, that is exactly what a county court judge will rule.

Their latest response rejects our offer because "the facts are" that it's our client's fault, but they have no evidence or argument to support that statement.

Hence, "no u".

Plus, we've made the offer now, so if it is litigated they'll have to eat the court costs when it is inevitably ruled as a split. They also can't claim their own costs, because they could have settled it without litigating but didn't.

What the fuck is with people?

Most litigation is essentially petty bickering.

The other possibility is that that they're taking instructions from a client who has decided to plant his flag and swear "no mercy, no retreat". Every client ever that has been convinced they aren't at fault believes a courtroom to be some kind of magical truth-distilling crucible wherein the lies of their opponent will be exposed by its burning rays of justice.

I'll add that to my list of definitions of "Tea-Party Logic" because it feels apt.

Most people think they know how Civil courts work because they've watched "Law and Order".

I have had very long and tedious conversations about the difference between "beyond reasonable doubt" (criminal courts) and "balance of probabilities" (civil courts).

japan on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    i am okay with the vast majority of jokes- lazy eye, holocaust, whatever- but occasionally someone rubs me the wrong way or i detect a note of malice or authenticity beneath the laughter

then i might ask them to stop

and if that doesn't work, it's plan b

the sheeny curse

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Colorado is doing its damndest to copy it as well.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn it took three "connection closed by remote server" errors before that last post posted.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As an example of opportunism, I let my mother in law shaft my wife and I on our weddinng expenses compared to what her sister got. The reason? In case I need to burn a bridge I've got a flame thrower.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i don't think you can count the EU as a single economy yet. Not when your fiscal and economic policy involves jousting between Germany and France and you can't really even compel some shithole like Greece to behave themselves.

world bank and IMF does so I think I will too

just because there's bickering doesn't mean it's not a shared economy

you can't compel california to behave themselves with their budget either, for example

well

california isn't running a deficit because states don't run deficits.

the fact that their state government is in some level of disorder isn't commendable or anything, but it's nowhere near comparable to greece.

the eu is not an integrated economy, in spite of whether people sum up the components of various nations for purposes of certain comparisons. for that matter, some reports add mexico and canada to the US for purposes of the NA zone.

I'm just saying disorder is irrelevant

anyway

eu is pretty integrated

but maybe using the eurozone would make more sense

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I let my mother in law shaft my wife.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mother in law shaft my wife

hawt.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i kind of want to learn how to make chiptunes

on like, an nes chip

do it right and all

i dont' know where to begin

Arch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Same with washington and Tim Eyeman, voted against the require two third vote by the legislature and a popular vote to get a tax iniative today, because thats fucking retarded.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2010

that is hilarious

(though i have heard someone refer to the zelda themes as the lullabies of a generation, and i guess that works)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    what a weird conversation

uncle's girlfriend: john, when does the 84 bus pass here going to frankford transportation center
    me, after checking online: there's one passing right about now, and the next is in 25 mnutes
    her: right about now?
    me: yes
    her: what do you mean?
    me: i mean, accordng to the schedule, the bus passes our corner at about 1:58, and it's 1:58 right now
    her: so it should be passing right now?
    her: really?
    me: ...

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i bet podly could help me but he would cringe a bit at the idea i think

Arch on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Same with washington and Tim Eyeman, voted against the require two third vote by the legislature and a popular vote to get a tax iniative today, because thats fucking retarded.

I wish we could just vote against Tim Eyman. That man is such a fuckhead.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This one fifty eight??

Sarksus on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I think I read somewhere that you need a smaller majority to spend than to cut

essentially

that's really all I know and it's enough

california's fuuuucked

okay so yeah

I don't feel I need to know anything more

it's like a still from a high speed camera showing a flaming tank truck going down the highway with rockets strapped to it at 500 km/hr

I don't really need further information to know that it's not going to end well

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

uncle's girlfriend: john, when does the 84 bus pass here going to frankford transportation center
    me, after checking online: there's one passing right about now, and the next is in 25 mnutes
    me: i mean, accordng to the schedule, the bus passes our corner at about 1:58, and it's 1:58 right now

Are you sure? Cuz it's 1:58 and I don't see no bus passing.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I hate his appeals to the lowest common fucking moron. "No taxes, no tax burden!" Yeah sure genius and when basic services break down in your fucking utopia?

I grow tired of how idiots prove that democracy sucks.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am so bored at work that I have actually created my own Lol champ. I tried to figure out what Riot hadn't come up with already and thought of "old women" and "psychics."

So my fictional champ is a telepathic old lady who fights by psychically sending her sewing needles to impale the enemy, stuns them by tangling them in her knitting, and telepathically feeds tea into the mouths and noses of allied champs, healing them and increasing their speed.

And her ult consists of telepathically hurling her cats at the enemy, causing damage and a % chance to target the cats instead of your team, and will be called "Cat's All Folks!"

Riot should totally hire me.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wait one fifty eight in the morning or one fifty eight in the afternoon?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

We have a law called TABOR(Tax Payer's Bill of Rights). All tax increases must go to general public to be vote on and to top it off any money past a certain point on the budget unless voted by a popular vote must be returned as tax returns even if it was with the current tax rates.

Or current set of stupid is an amendment that makes it illegal for state and local governments from borrowing any money unless it is passed as a bond. This includes short term loans they use to keep the services running between revenue periods and such. Then we have one that is trying to get rid of all property taxes, thus bye bye schools! Oh and the one that amends our constitution making it so we can ignore most of the health care bill.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Are you sure? Cuz it's 1:58 and I don't see no bus passing.

and besides, how would a schedule know where the bus is, unless it was on the bus?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I hate his appeals to the lowest common fucking moron. "No taxes, no tax burden!" Yeah sure genius and when basic services break down in your fucking utopia?

I grow tired of how idiots prove that democracy sucks.

Democracy's greatest problem is that you don't feel the hit you didn't take, and as a collective we don't have enough consensus on what are important future issues.

The media is complicit in this.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I thought you said 'old lady' and 'physics'.

Her ultimate is spawning an LHC and everyone inside of the AOE is deposited inside and is spun until a collision is achieved.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So, how long after my friend's wedding is too long to expect to receive a thank you card for the gift?

It's oddly bugging me... like I wouldn't give a shit except it's like... principle or something.

Chanus on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Guys, I just figured it out. I have proven that Ladder Theory is true, but with some revisions.

Rather than only two ladders, there are seventeen, and sixteen of them always lead to a hell dimension from which there is no escape and exists only the eternal pain and torment that is unfathomable and cannot be described in human terms; there is no language for it.

The seventeenth ladder resides within a dimensional rift and it randomly swaps existences with one of the other sixteen ladders.

If you find yourself on this ladder, you have to act quickly. Generally, you must throw money at Zalesia, the Goddess of Diamondry. If you linger, you may one day find yourself dimensionally shifted to one of the other sixteen ladders.

I proved this with a simple experiment involving insomnia, whiskey, and a deep feeling of emptiness and sadness.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2010

okay so yeah

I don't feel I need to know anything more

it's like a still from a high speed camera showing a flaming tank truck going down the highway with rockets strapped to it at 500 km/hr

I don't really need further information to know that it's not going to end well[/QUOTE]

what ends up happening is that partway through the year, the money runs out and employees get sent home and contractors start suing the state, etc.

it's obviously really poor government planning, but it's not a fiscal catastrophe the way that spain, greece or like every country in africa is.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    my aunt is not really a cook- she pretty much makes stuff from the box or bag, tossed in the oven. everything she makes, she reads the directions on the container. lots of kraft dinner, canned vegetables, those prefrozen chicken nuggets wth the cheese in the middle, etc. but she has a few signature dishes that give her pride. one is the casserole i've discussed here- sliced hotdogs in a casserole pan with baked beans and kraft dinner, with the top of the pan layered in slices of american- which is gross but actually kind of tasty. another is...

well, it's bad.

she foreman grills some chicken breasts then bakes them in a dish with like, pineapple slices and onion 'mix' or something meant for chip dip. it's weird and terrible but she thinks it's a 'treat' she does for the family when she's 'really up to cooking'. i don't have the heart to break it to her.

Organichu on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

We have a law called TABOR(Tax Payer's Bill of Rights). All tax increases must go to general public to be vote on and to top it off any money past a certain point on the budget unless voted by a popular vote must be returned as tax returns even if it was with the current tax rates.

Or current set of stupid is an amendment that makes it illegal for state and local governments from borrowing any money unless it is passed as a bond. This includes short term loans they use to keep the services running between revenue periods and such. Then we have one that is trying to get rid of all property taxes, thus bye bye schools! Oh and the one that amends our constitution making it so we can ignore most of the health care bill.

Our idiot minor neo Liberal party keeps trying to promote a TABOR bill for New Zealand, despite Colorado's experience. Luckily they haven't managed to convince anyone yet

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
This discussion has been closed.