Options

ATTACK OF THE THIRD DIMENSION - IN 3D!!!

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Between the lantern and the suit they are going for a very alien look it seems... I'm sure that this level of detail was necessary to make it look not so cartoony I guess. We'll see when it is a final product. (Although I feel the suit could have been a more uniform look ala the leather X-Men look).

This right here is pretty much the answer. You can't just translate the Lantern as is to a movie, it won't work. Average person is gonna go "that's a fucking Earth lantern painted green. I am not going to suspend my disbelief when you tell me this is an alien artifact that channels the collective willpower of a galaxy. The only thing it channels is a pleasant glow to a patio, at best".

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Between the lantern and the suit they are going for a very alien look it seems... I'm sure that this level of detail was necessary to make it look not so cartoony I guess. We'll see when it is a final product. (Although I feel the suit could have been a more uniform look ala the leather X-Men look).

This right here is pretty much the answer. You can't just translate the Lantern as is to a movie, it won't work. Average person is gonna go "that's a fucking Earth lantern painted green. I am not going to suspend my disbelief when you tell me this is an alien artifact that channels the collective willpower of a galaxy. The only thing it channels is a pleasant glow to a patio, at best".

Amen! As someone who doesn't give a shit about the green lantern, I can say going for the more alien look is a great idea. Honestly I didn't care about this movie until I saw some pictures, hell, just the cool looking take on the normal lame lantern made my interest go from 0 to, errr, some number higher than 0.

Green Lantern always struck me as akin to Thor in popularity (albeit more popular than Thor due to great DC shows like the justice league and Batman the brave and the bold). Among comic nerds he's VERY well known. But among normal people, his name may ring a bell, they may say "isn't he a superhero?" but their not gonna know his background or much about him. Unlike superman or batman or spider-man, where their backgrounds are known to people who never even picked up a comic or who don't even like superheroes.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Seems like GL will be more in the vein of the X-Men movies, where things really are heavily adapted to have a more consistent mood and tone for the theater, as opposed to something like the current Marvel-produced movies where all of the aesthetic stuff and pseudo science has to be pretty close to the comics.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wouldn't call the X-men series free of psuedo science. In fact, it's probably the worst offender.

I mean, besides the X-gene being able to make any power just because, we have

-A mutant powered a hyper evolution gyroscope
    -A mutant derived mind control drug
    -A mutant derived cure for mutations.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wouldn't call the X-men series free of psuedo science. In fact, it's probably the worst offender.

I mean, besides the X-gene being able to make any power just because, we have

-A mutant powered a hyper evolution gyroscope
    -A mutant derived mind control drug
    -A mutant derived cure for mutations.

Yes

But it was different from the more convoluted psuedo science of the comic!

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Seems like GL will be more in the vein of the X-Men movies, where things really are heavily adapted to have a more consistent mood and tone for the theater, as opposed to something like the current Marvel-produced movies where all of the aesthetic stuff and pseudo science has to be pretty close to the comics.

Which makes me wonder if DC is going to alter the GL comics to better fit the movie's look like Marvel did with the X-Men.

Just think, in a year or so we can be staring at 24 pages of Ryan Reynold's dreamy mug.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »

Which makes me wonder if DC is going to alter the GL comics to better fit the movie's look like Marvel did with the X-Men.

Just think, in a year or so we can be staring at 24 pages of Ryan Reynold's dreamy mug.

I think it's possible that how characters are drawn and how they speak could be altered the way Tony Stark has been, but I think all of the actual super design stuff will remain the same if only because Green Lantern is driving DC's entire line right now.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, there's also the whole "why do they call them mutants" thing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I never got why there was blanket predjudice towards Mutants, but not guys like Spiderman. JJJ and villians were pretty much the only guys who hated on Spiderman most of the time.

Couldn't a mutant just go "Oh, no, I just got bitten by a radioactive.. uh.. tornado and that's how I got my powers." then?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I never got why there was blanket predjudice towards Mutants, but not guys like Spiderman. JJJ and villians were pretty much the only guys who hated on Spiderman most of the time.

Couldn't a mutant just go "Oh, no, I just got bitten by a radioactive.. uh.. tornado and that's how I got my powers." then?

The answer lies in all that mutations generally happen with puberty, so it's not some reasonably grown-up guy going superpowers after getting his crap together, it's thirteen year olds with a chip on their shoulder.

"It's 3am. Did you know your children can walk through walls?"

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn, no one has any helicarrier model's, so open to other ideas, ordered 2 basic aircraft carrier's, 4 copter's, this one jet engine plane( jet's will be nice housings for the chopper blades), carrier kitsx 2 should cover the random aircraft/vehicles , browsing car models atm looking for like a slim van to flip over as the underside of the carrier.

Any other suggestions?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I like it best when the X-Men are separate from the rest of the Marvel U, because it prevents problems like that.

The way the X-books are handled ATM is pretty reasonable, with most of them settled into their own continuity and issues while one or two are mainly crossover books that focus more on action and event settings within the Marvel-verse at large.

This is why I am glad that fox still has X-Men rights...
    Not really, I just needed to tie it back to the thread idea.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    An absolute ass-load of pics from The Walking Dead.

I am so excited for this thing. Nearly a week away and I still can't believe this is happening.

If only it were more than six episodes. But still, hot damn.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So how excited would anybody be for a Gotham Central tv series?

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2010
    as much as I like the idea of a superhero tv show that dealt more with the regular people that have to put up with their bullshit, I'm kind of sick of cop shows

although I'm not entirely sure why Gotham Central doesn't already exist as a tv show

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It would be like SVU except with bad guys dressed in Halloween costumes!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    as much as I like the idea of a superhero tv show that dealt more with the regular people that have to put up with their bullshit, I'm kind of sick of cop shows

although I'm not entirely sure why Gotham Central doesn't already exist as a tv show

I think "Powers" would be okay as a TV show in that vein too. But lord help me, I despise procedural cop shows. Enough of the acronym shows and crime analyst shows. More stuff like Lie to Me and The Good Guys. Not that they're similar to each other, but they both differ from the CSI/SVU standard. Thank GOD.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Having never read powers, I am excited to see that as a show. Bendis promised news about that at NYCC, didn't he?

Also, whatever happened to the Fables TV pilot for ABC?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »

I think it's possible that how characters are drawn and how they speak could be altered the way Tony Stark has been, but I think all of the actual super design stuff will remain the same if only because Green Lantern is driving DC's entire line right now.

Its already happened, the designs for Larvox and Voz have changed

Tairu on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gank wrote: »

I think "Powers" would be okay as a TV show in that vein too. But lord help me, I despise procedural cop shows. Enough of the acronym shows and crime analyst shows. More stuff like Lie to Me and The Good Guys. Not that they're similar to each other, but they both differ from the CSI/SVU standard. Thank GOD.

I've only watched Lie to Me once but that episode followed the exact same formula as any CSI/Law & Order episode.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cop shows which aren't really cop shows the main characters just happen to be cops are the best. Like Fringe and White Collar.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Gank wrote: »

I've only watched Lie to Me once but that episode followed the exact same formula as any CSI/Law & Order episode.

Uh... i may have only seen two episodes myself... They seemed okay, probably shouldn't have used the show as an example though. Still, a non formulaic "Powers" would rock my proverbial socks.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone seen the first episode of Cartoon Networks "Tower Prep" from Paul Dini? Don't know if it qualifies as a super hero show but I've heard it's interesting at the very least.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've not. I didn't know Dini was behind it, but I still firmly stand opposed to any live action shows airing on Cartoon Network... no matter how much I dug the Foxy Shazam commercial for it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the first episode of Cartoon Networks "Tower Prep" from Paul Dini? Don't know if it qualifies as a super hero show but I've heard it's interesting at the very least.

I did. All of the kids there have some type of super power. It was kinda of neat. I'll watch it again if it happens to be on.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, so the season premiere of Avengers was pretty great. It turns out that Chris Yost is the main guy overseeing the story, so that explains it. The cast of characters was pretty huge, particularly on the villain side. The two episodes were essentially about villains breaking out of the four SHIELD prisons for super powered villains, with the Avengers coming together to face the threat. The animation's not great in some places, like where you can obviously see the 3D animation contrast sharply with the 2D animation, but it mostly gets the job done well.

The characterization of the Avengers were mostly on par with what was expected. Tony is Iron Man 2 Tony, minus the alcohol. Hulk is played less dumb and with a split personality similar to Fight Club (except he knows Banner is real). Jan is a spitfire and natural hero with some brains on her. Hank is a real bleeding heart with about a quarter of Reed Richards' naive obliviousness. Thor, though, is strangely kinda flat as a noble strong man. We'll have to see if that changes over the rest of the season.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thor can be tough to pull off it you don't write things from his perspective, mostly because he never says anything other than "Your reign of terror ends here mortal, for you face the Thunderer" or some such guff. Which is fine, except that we never really get to see how he feels, and so he's a little flat in most team things. Write stuff from his view and get the time and space to really explore his character and he is one of the most interesting Avengers for me.

Still, glad to hear that the series is good. Been looking forward to this for some time.

Solar on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh, forgot to mention: if you're a long time Marvel fan, you'll probably get a bit more mileage out of the show. You see lots of familiar faces. I found myself saying "hey, that's [insert character name here]" quite a lot. I didn't see any changes to the universe that seemed to be random. Oh, and rather than Nazis, Hydra was the adversary in WW2 and remains a threat in the modern world.

EDIT: Seriously, they even had Jimmy Woo show up briefly. It may be wishful thinking, but I hope we see the Agents of Atlas at some point.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    You see lots of familiar faces. I found myself saying "hey, that's [insert character name here]" quite a lot.
    It was cool to see a certain James Howlett in one of Cap's mini-eps. If there's more of those, that'd be awesome.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ok... after watching the breakout part 2... I'm hooked on The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I may not have been impressed by the mini episodes, but the REAL show seems strong. I just hope the animation gets a bit less jerky and Jan less fucking annoying.

I gotta say, it's nice to see Hulk accepted. Happy hulk makes me warm and fuzzy inside! Hulk really was awesome in this episode.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bloods End wrote: »

Even the concept art has nothing on the trippyness of CGI Asgard...

Wishpig on

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am fully expecting Thor to crush Green Lantern like a tiny bug, even though it's coming out fully a month beforehand.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am a big big fan of Reynolds as an actor and of all the DC characters, GL is pretty much my favourite. But Thor simply looks better across the board, sets and CGI especially.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2010
    we haven't seen anything for GL yet!

wait for the trailer to judge it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyone know where to see episode 1 of the avenger's cartoon streaming anywhere? ( non hulu, dunno if hulu has it, but hulu is racist against Canada! heh) I caught the end credits, and then saw episode 2 watching with my nephew.

Was great, high hopes ( just hate coming into any series an episode late)
    Also was both surprised and pleased by the opening Villian/Power Level, was not expecting
    Graviton, even tho I kinda figured that was him back in the minisodes

Also it's almost easier to try and pick out background characters that aren't cameos for fans heh, loved that.

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's on the Disney website, actually.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hmm, finding the Minisodes there, but not the full ep, or am I screwed by being in Canada ?

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Oh, forgot to mention: if you're a long time Marvel fan, you'll probably get a bit more mileage out of the show. You see lots of familiar faces. I found myself saying "hey, that's [insert character name here]" quite a lot. I didn't see any changes to the universe that seemed to be random. Oh, and rather than Nazis, Hydra was the adversary in WW2 and remains a threat in the modern world.

EDIT: Seriously, they even had Jimmy Woo show up briefly. It may be wishful thinking, but I hope we see the Agents of Atlas at some point.

pfft eff that noise

bring in Dum Dum Dugan and Red Ronin

let's see the Godzilla hunting team re-united

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm, finding the Minisodes there, but not the full ep, or am I screwed by being in Canada ?

Don't go to the Avengers page, go to the main Disney XD page. Click video. Both episodes were there when I checked this morning.

Jimothy on