As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo 3 Waiting Thread - Stay a while and glisten

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did you really use more than 7 on an average character build in Diablo 2?
    yeah. Those "1-point-wonder" skills were an exception. you used them, and when they expired, you used them again
    So... yes? :P

forty on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Barbarian fills that role. I mean, really, they looked more armoured than Paladins once they had that Ornate Armour shit on, even if the Paladin looked more uh... formal.

Guess they could go a different route with the Barbarian, though. He's old as fuck, he can't be bothered with such unwieldy gear. So he wears animal horns.

But seriously, I'd put money down on it being a ranged class. Specifically using a bow or crossbow of some kind.

forty wrote: »
    yeah. Those "1-point-wonder" skills were an exception. you used them, and when they expired, you used them again
    I noted they were an exception, and really combat in that game revolved, for the average character, the spamming of 2-4 moves that you pumped points into. Skills that were "passive" even though you activated them, or pets, or some sort of thing that had a duration, can simply be held outside a "7 skill limit." The blizz guy noted passive skills don't count towards the 7 move limit, so whatevs.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i hope its a crossbow. the bow is always typical of a ranged user.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The problem with that is that no one bothered to not dual wield barbarians. Sure, they can tank, but they don't actually use a shield. I NEEDS MAH SMITING ON.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    of course... I'm also not taking into account the inevitable expansion that includes two new boner-inspiring classes, by far more fun than the original 5.

naturally, I would estimate that to hit shelves sometime in 2021.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe an Inquisitor/Vamp-Hunter-type guy? Crossbows and pseduo mechanical widgets all up ins.

Edit: And a snappy hat.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Maybe an Inquisitor/Vamp-Hunter-type guy? Crossbows and pseduo mechanical widgets all up ins.

I got it. Its going to be a monster hunter, but hes going to be a regular joe.

Basically, the 5th class will be Bobby from Supernatural.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    The problem with that is that no one bothered to not dual wield barbarians. Sure, they can tank, but they don't actually use a shield. I NEEDS MAH SMITING ON.

Really? I was under the impression that barbs that used shields were quite common.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tarantio wrote: »

Really? I was under the impression that barbs that used shields were quite common.
    Whirwind barbs, Frenzy barbs and Singer barbs all dual wield. The only barb build that uses shields is the Berserker, but since Iron Maiden has been patched out, it's now pretty useless.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    forty wrote: »
    I noted they were an exception, and really combat in that game revolved, for the average character, the spamming of 2-4 moves that you pumped points into. Skills that were "passive" even though you activated them, or pets, or some sort of thing that had a duration, can simply be held outside a "7 skill limit." The blizz guy noted passive skills don't count towards the 7 move limit, so whatevs.
    I dunno, I think used 8-12 hotkeys on most my characters. Once I l2p'd and realized the default F1-F12 keys are terrible for mapping skills and put everything on QWER/ASDF/ZXCV, I usually had most of those filled. Granted, one key was always devoted to tome of TP, but some classes still had a lot of skill flicking, and yes, counting the buff type abilities, since you had to use them frequently enough that not hotkeying them would be awful. But I'd hope they're going away from that style of tedious 1-minute self-buffs in D3.

Necros still used a ton of hotkeys even without buffs, though!

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Whirwind barbs, Frenzy barbs and Singer barbs all dual wield. The only barb build that uses shields is the Berserker, but since Iron Maiden has been patched out, it's now pretty useless.

WW barbs used poleaxes. ....or at least mine did.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skab wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Schwhat wrote: »
    I've been waiting for Diablo 3 for half a decade. Is it going to come out before I become middle-aged?

This game has been slated since 2005. Acquiring domain talks and agreement were done in '06. I don't know if this game will be the new Duke at this rate.

Oh for God's sake.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
    I know you heard it before.

But seriously, it's not the 5 years of wait, and postponements and excuses that they had to concentrate on WoW and 3 expansions; that peeves me the most. It's people blind acceptance of it; and what I mean is that people posting in this thread that if Blizzard was only revealing another class for Diablo 3; it'll be ok for them not to have a release date until for Blizzcon '11 (pending that they don't have some other key information they have for the game they've been holding off on and save the release date information for Blizzcon '12).

I've been looking at the video gameplay and graphics again; I don't know about you guys; but the graphics look ok for the time being. My fear is that the engine might need to be reworked if the release date information was a Blizzcon'11 announcement (thus release date would probably be in '12) thus pushing it back. Deja nuke'em

Schwhat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    the game has changed quite a bit over the years

I remember when Pikes were the hotness for Barbs

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That tank talk makes me wonder... does anyone think they might implement some mmo-like behavior to monsters like focusing on the player that generates the most aggro? I recall that in D2 they pretty much just attacked whoever was nearest.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that Rogue is really unlikely. So is Amazon.

They need a character that can have both a male and a female version. Rogue would work if not for the lore, it's very well established that the Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye has no male members. Amazon works lore wise, but not in the historical connotation of the word.

My guess would be Hunter, except that the tooth-gnashing from the anti-WoW camp would be extra terrible.

That's my guess for the final class. A Hunter style character (probably named something different with different lore as to appease the anti-WoW crowd), but mechanically it'll be a ranged projectile fighter (bows/crossbows) with summonable pets.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    That tank talk makes me wonder... does anyone think they might implement some mmo-like behavior to monsters like focusing on the player that generates the most aggro? I recall that in D2 they pretty much just attacked whoever was nearest.

I take it you haven't played something past an mmo for the last couple of years.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm betting on an Amazon remake, named Ranger. Allows both genders pretty easily.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »

There is no way they are turning D3 into a mmo type game with tank/heal/dps. They've said they want every class to be able to solo the game.

sumwar on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.

But seriously, it's not the 5 years of wait, and postponements and excuses that they had to concentrate on WoW and 3 expansions; that peeves me the most. It's people blind acceptance of it; and what I mean is that people posting in this thread that if Blizzard was only revealing another class for Diablo 3; it'll be ok for them not to have a release date until for Blizzcon '11 (pending that they don't have some other key information they have for the game they've been holding off on and save the release date information for Blizzcon '12).

I've been looking at the video gameplay and graphics again; I don't know about you guys; but the graphics look ok for the time being. My fear is that the engine might need to be reworked if the release date information was a Blizzcon'11 announcement (thus release date would probably be in '12) thus pushing it back. Deja nuke'em

The use of stylized graphics usurps the need to update graphics engines.

The development teams for WoW and Diablo 3 are entirely separate. The same resources are not working on the same games. How could Blizzard making a gajillion dollars off of WoW be bad for the Diablo 3 team?

Walt on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've been waiting for Diablo 3 for half a decade. Is it going to come out before I become middle-aged?

This game has been slated since 2005. Acquiring domain talks and agreement were done in '06. I don't know if this game will be the new Duke at this rate.

Oh for God's sake.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I don't know why you people think blizzard announces dates at Blizzcon. They never have. They announce dates when they get them nailed down, period.

I mean, look at Cataclysm this year. They announced the release date 3 weeks before Blizzcon. People "blindly accept" it because that's how blizzard has ALWAYS been. Its the Blizzard way. And they haven't made a bad game yet. They aren't going to rework the engine, they aren't going to suddenly start over.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

WW barbs used poleaxes. ....or at least mine did.

Iron Barb is a standard and fairly popular build.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And they haven't made a bad game yet.

Warcraft 3 :?

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    EggPuppet wrote: »

Was awesome?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Walt wrote: »
    The use of stylized graphics usurps the need to update graphics engines.

The development teams for WoW and Diablo 3 are entirely separate. The same resources are not working on the same games. How could Blizzard making a gajillion dollars off of WoW be bad for the Diablo 3 team?

Actually, I recall there were blue posts about development team project concentrations regarding other projects. They don't state whether they are entirely separate or not, but their statement of "concentrating on releasing WoW [insert expansion] before focusing on Starcraft 2 project. I believe it was a question about SC2 project release thread a few years back.

From that thread post, it conveyed to me they have development team one that share a bunch of resources from development team two. Considering one franchise was a MMO and the other was RTS, you would think naturally why don't they have entirely separate non-shared resources (but I think it's not a cost effective thing).
    I don't know why you people think blizzard announces dates at Blizzcon. They never have. They announce dates when they get them nailed down, period.

I mean, look at Cataclysm this year. They announced the release date 3 weeks before Blizzcon. People "blindly accept" it because that's how blizzard has ALWAYS been. Its the Blizzard way. And they haven't made a bad game yet. They aren't going to rework the engine, they aren't going to suddenly start over.

Actually, wasn't it announced earlier than that? I could have swore there was a Nov/Dec stamp during E3?

Schwhat on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Blizzcon schedule (that someone posted in the previous thread) should probably be in the OP.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm betting on an Amazon remake, named Ranger. Allows both genders pretty easily.

Yeah sounds plausible. Hoping for a witch hunter/vampire hunter/ van helsing class but a ranger would be fiiine.

valiance on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I disliked Lost Vikings, so in my book that's a bad game.

Rock n' Roll Racing, I also consider that a bad game too.

/sorry if it offends anyone

Schwhat on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    a vampire hunter type class with medium-heavy armor, sweet crossbow skills, some improvised tinker-weapon type stuff like a holy water grenade launcher, and newly-revealed whips would be phenomenal.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    valiance wrote: »

Yeah sounds plausible. Hoping for a witch hunter/vampire hunter/ van helsing class but a ranger would be fiiine.

I think the difference here would be if there is a pet sub-theme or not. What would the witch/vampire/demon hunter subtheme be? The only one I know of is from WAR, and I think that one was combo points, and doesn't the Monk already have that?

edit: ahh, EggPuppet. Tinker weapons is a damn cool subtheme =)

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    JarhogJarhog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I disliked Lost Vikings, so in my book that's a bad game.

Rock n' Roll Racing, I also consider that a bad game too.

/sorry if it offends anyone

Rock n'Roll Racing was my child hood my finger still hurts just thinking about it

Jarhog on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    a vampire hunter type class with medium-heavy armor, sweet crossbow skills, some improvised tinker-weapon type stuff like a holy water grenade launcher, and newly-revealed whips would be phenomenal.
    I suspect that you've been playing Lords of Shadow.

Walt on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    the game has changed quite a bit over the years

I remember when Pikes were the hotness for Barbs
    "Very Slow"? More like "Very Good"!

1.07'd!

*Sells Pike to Charsi*

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Was awesome?
    Correct! Skab, you have control of the board.

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Opening ceremony just started!

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any news about the ceremony? I am too poor to afford an e-ticket.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They're going over appropriate crowd reactions.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    http://blizzcon.rayv.com/

stream is free for the opening ceremony

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thank you. :D

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mike Morhaime tries too hard to be funny.

parabola on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There is also a live blog going on here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/112/1129740p1.html

Tejs on