As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paranormal Activity and Also Other Horror Movies That Are Not Paranormal Activity

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    Slow-dawning horror is something I really appreciate in a movie. The creepy, insinuated horror stays with me far longer than shock-jumps.

This is so true for me too, and it only takes like one good moment to make a scary movie work for me because of it. Blair Whitch catches a lot of flak but I thought it had this, because it's not a good movie but can consistently creep me the hell out. There's just one moment that crystalizes that it's not just these scared kids out in the woods. They've done the whole lost in the woods shit goes bump in the night let's get the hell out of here routine and wandered around one day only to get back where they started, so they decide to follow the river downstream to make sure they don't go in a circle. Good plan. And then, just as the daylight is running out, they come over a hill and arrive right back where they started.

Stuff like that is really, really subjective though - which is why I think it doesn't get done. The movie worked for me because of one moment that I identified with, largely because I'm a hiker and someone who would probably do the same exact thing in that situation. Without that, it'd just be a movie with terrible camera work that made me want to punch a crying girl. 'Creepy' movies are really hit and miss and can go either way from person to person based on minimal shit.

Gory movies are always gory.

People gave it a lock of shit, but I really dug the "crystalizing" moment of The Strangers, which I think is one of the better American efforts of the last few years (It ISNT a remake of "Ils", the French horror movie, although they are incredibly similar).

Spoiled for people who don't want it spoiled:
    Right after the bad guys show up and are just incessantly banging on the doors and the windows and Liv Tyler goes to get a glass of water or whatever, and from the darkness the main bad guy takes a step out and stares at her before sinking back into the darkness. They had just made a big to-do about locking everything up and the bad guys were trying to find a way in to no avail. It was at this point I realized that they were just fucking with her. They can get in whenver they wanted. To me that was pretty terrifying.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    People gave it a lock of shit, but I really dug the "crystalizing" moment of The Strangers, which I think is one of the better American efforts of the last few years (It ISNT a remake of "Ils", the French horror movie, although they are incredibly similar).

Spoiled for people who don't want it spoiled:
    Right after the bad guys show up and are just incessantly banging on the doors and the windows and Liv Tyler goes to get a glass of water or whatever, and from the darkness the main bad guy takes a step out and stares at her before sinking back into the darkness. They had just made a big to-do about locking everything up and the bad guys were trying to find a way in to no avail. It was at this point I realized that they were just fucking with her. They can get in whenver they wanted. To me that was pretty terrifying.

That really was a fantastic bit, though the movie did occasionally veer into pants-on-head retarded territory.

Green on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I feel like "pants-on-head retarded" is one of the greatest phrases I've heard in a very long time. I just want you to know that, Green. But I want to know what it means.

I've been avoiding Nightmare on Elm Street for most of my life, as a commercial for it scared the bejeezus outta me when I was 10. I believe that, while it's gory as hell, it must be genuinely scary. The premise alone is creepy enough.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a big fan of all those 80's horror movies, Nightamre, Friday, Hellraiser, Pumpkinhead, etc. I think the Nightmares are pretty damn funny actually sometimes. You should watch them for sure.

Has anyone seen the re-make of Nightmare on Elm Street? I've been debating whether or not I should watch it.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I don't mind no shock. I hate lame shocks like a cat popping out from a locker (yes I know I love alien but that one scene has always struck me as a lazy shock)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZkRM1vx54

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I feel like "pants-on-head retarded" is one of the greatest phrases I've heard in a very long time. I just want you to know that, Green. But I want to know what it means.

I can't take any credit for it, I've heard it used in at least a few different places (pretty sure Yahtzee used it at one point, too)

But yes, it is great :P

Green on
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Pulse (Japanese version) - Almost entirely atmosphere. Moves slowly and potentially confusing if you're trying to take it literally the whole way through. Overall pretty thought provoking and definitely eerie.

This! That movie still has me freaked out to this day. There are so many good and wicked themes in this movie that I still can't watch it again. I got dragged to the US version and it was pure crap. Another good Kurosawa movie is Cure.
    The scene where he's investigating the killer is so intense. The rain is slow seeping in through the ceiling and it just focus' at the angle and it's trying to tell you something, but what is it? Freaked me out.

toolbert on
  • Options
    TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I'm watching the Exorcist III right now, and it's actually a very good slow burn. It's a serial killer film where the murders are just impossible (Hmmmm... I wonder why?). There's a lot of great little moments in this, and the editing is very tight as well. It's a completely different film from the original, but since you would be an idiot to try to recreate the magic of the original, this is actually a good thing. George C. Scott kills it like you'd expect. There's a dream sequence in this thing that's just very fucked up but in an unassuming way. I'd recommend it if you liked the original and wanted to actually see something that follows-up on it (unlike the horrid Exorcist II).

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of all those 80's horror movies, Nightamre, Friday, Hellraiser, Pumpkinhead, etc. I think the Nightmares are pretty damn funny actually sometimes. You should watch them for sure.

Has anyone seen the re-make of Nightmare on Elm Street? I've been debating whether or not I should watch it.

It's terrible. The dark humor and surreal nature of the dream sequences is completely abandoned, and all you have left is a generic slasher film where teens get.

Freddy never cracks jokes and the only function of the nightmares is to transport the kids to a boiler room, at which point Freddy spends several minutes dragging his claws against the wall before finally stabbing the boy or girl.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

It's terrible. The dark humor and surreal nature of the dream sequences is completely abandoned, and all you have left is a generic slasher film where teens get.

Freddy never cracks jokes and the only function of the nightmares is to transport the kids to a boiler room, at which point Freddy spends several minutes dragging his claws against the wall before finally stabbing the boy or girl.

Plot spoilers
    The remake does a pretty good job of making you wonder if Freddy really was guilty of child molestation in the first place, changing his entire dynamic from ghostly serial killer to a horrifically wronged innocent man lashing out at the children that essentially murdered him. It's really a refreshing and brave new take on the series.

HAHA PSYCHE Freddy's totally evil. ugh

Green on
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, I just saw the original Exorcist this weekend in a theater, and dear lord was it the most terrifying thing I have ever seen. It was so awesome.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know what I've noticed horror/slasher films from the 80s (and to a somewhat lesser extent, 90s -- at least as far as films like Scream go) have that newer ones lack? Final Girls. Oh, sure, there's a girl that survives, and she may even be the main character and more pure/less slutty than the other girls in the film, but in older horror, the Final Girl survived because she was able to think and act in a crisis, she could take the fight to the killer, and didn't afraid of anything, so to speak.

Now she just survives because she was lucky enough to be attacked last and her boyfriend/brother saved her, while the proactive, confident, brave lady characters all die horribly in the final act.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    You know what I've noticed horror/slasher films from the 80s (and to a somewhat lesser extent, 90s -- at least as far as films like Scream go) have that newer ones lack? Final Girls. Oh, sure, there's a girl that survives, and she may even be the main character and more pure/less slutty than the other girls in the film, but in older horror, the Final Girl survived because she was able to think and act in a crisis, she could take the fight to the killer, and didn't afraid of anything, so to speak.

Now she just survives because she was lucky enough to be attacked last and her boyfriend/brother saved her, while the proactive, confident, brave lady characters all die horribly in the final act.

Speaking of that, everyone should watch Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. It's not really scary, but I found it to be pretty interesting. It's about a film crew who follows around a serial killer as he prepares for a night of slaughtering teenagers. He talks about things in slasher movies like the Final Girl, or staying in shape so he can chase down his victims.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I watched two horror movies recently, The Signal and Thirst

The Signal was good. An odd switch from a 28 Days Later vibe to black comedy and then back. It was mostly good but the ending was a bit weak.

Thirst is a Korean vampire film by Park Chan-Wook (the guy who did Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy and Lady Vengeance). It's about 2 and 1/2 hours long, a bit slow and never really boils over the way I wanted it to. Pretty solid anyhow, but not scary.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I found Thirst unnerving.
    When she's holding the scissors over her husband's open mouth, for instance, or later when the husband's ghost begins haunting the main characters.

Not scary, but creepy.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MahoneMahone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Paranormal Activity 2 spoilers:
    I just got back from watching it (in IMAX, yay sound!), and came away somewhat disappointed. I really enjoyed the first Paranormal Activity, not because it was scary, but because it did a great job of building tension and doing a few things that just made you go D: . PA2 just didn't seem to have quite the same impact, but a few things were done really well. The one "jump" scare that got me was when the main female was sitting down after the daughter and dog went for a walk, and all the cabinet doors flew open. That was AWESOME. Also, being dragged into the basement, that's gotta be up there for top ten things I never want to have happen to me! The main problem I have with the Paranormal Activity series is that the scary things happen only when the unsettling vibration noise occurs. Just one time I would have loved for some freaky shit to happen out of nowhere, because THAT would be an unexpected scare. Instead of hearing the sound for ten to fifteen seconds before the scare, just have half a second of the sound and then BAMF!, with no time for your psyche to prepare. Every time that noise would come on, I would just prep myself for the loud noise, because I knew it was coming.

I also appreciated the characters from the original being in the movie, until I realized where they were going with it. That seemed like a severe cop out, with Katie showing up at their house and, as was so eloquently put earlier in the thread, "Solid Snake'd" everyone. Using the same "Their whereabouts are unknown" disclaimer at the end was very meh as well. I did enjoy the pool cleaner always being out of the water though, it was comforting in a way.

Session 9 spoilers:
    I'm glad other people have seen this movie. I thought it had a lot of potential, as my most feared place in all of the world is a mental institution/insane asylum. ESPECIALLY an abandoned one. The mind being something that we don't really understand bothers me, and the concept that you could lose it is terrifying. I loved the imagery in the movie, the abandoned wheelchair in the dusty, dark hallway is RIGHT up my alley. The tapes were obviously the best part, trying to talk to Simon. I really wish the whole movie would have been based around those, rather than just being kind of a side story that one character encounters. I wish more movies would go the asylum route, or that one film could truly capture the essence of how sad and scary a place like that is. We have one a few miles away from my house, I won't even turn down the road it's on for fear of something bad happening.

General Horror discussion topic/question:

When you're watching a horror movie, do you prefer the characters to be aware of the strange happenings, or do you like the audience to be the ones with the inside knowledge. Like if something creepy happens, do you want the characters in the story to be scared with you, or do you want to be in your mind shouting "LOOK BEHIND YOU!"? I personally prefer to have the characters be somewhat oblivious, like in PA2 when the mobile spins only when the mother isn't looking at it. That's the type of stuff that builds tension for me, and I eat it up. How about you?

Mahone on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PA2 Response to Mahone, With Spoilers
    I absolutely love when the characters know and don't act like silly geese. If demons exist then clearly there is a school of battle wizards dedicated to fighting demons somewhere on earth that they should have contacted. I hope the daughter takes demon defense courses and rescues Hunter in the third one.

On scary movies: I absolutely love shock-jump tactics but after a while, the cerebral portion of my brain gets bored with the whole thing and wishes there was some sort of plot.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I just watched "Spine" it was pretty low budget and quite obviously so. Terrible acting, beyond terrible sound.. the actors voices were often distorted, and the volume would randomly go up and down mid sentence. And the story in general was pure crap, and all the stupid stuff you expect characters to do in horror movies, was present here, but probably some of the worst I've seen. Add into the fact that every character randomly passed out for no reason, you've got a real steamer of a movie here. Not worth a rental, and not even worth watching if you can watch it for free. Avoid at all costs.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Let's see...

Red Eye was excellent in every facet except that it was too short and too thin--there's a point in the movie where the stakes should be rising and instead they start falling, plotlines start resolving, threats lessen... It's a shame, because what's there is tense, original, and very well done.

The Wolf Man (original) was interesting. Haven't fully digested it yet.

Cat People (not the original) was full of sex and violence and utterly ridiculous, which is basically what I expected from Paul Schroeder. Schroeder is essentially Verhoeven, only artier, which is good if you're in the mood for it. The Bowie score/theme is very nice. And I liked the nods to the Lewton classic.

Currently watching Manhunter, which is pretty spectacular, especially in the performances (Brian Cox rocks as usual, in a role that for once requires him to do more than shout and be prickly, Tom Noonan is amazingly creepy as always, and Peterson is wonderfully broody). It gets a little 80s every once in a while, but other than that it's very faithful to the (excellent) source novel without being verbose. Still not as good as Silence of the Lambs, but it's nice to see that Hopkins didn't pull that performance entirely out of thin air.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I read the Wikipedia entry for those Poughkeepsie Tapes.

Oh God why did I do that and why would anyone ever watch that movie. That whole thing has to be like a plant with the FBI monitoring it NAMBLA style. If you've got it in your Netflix they just happen to be keeping an eye on you...

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just saw Evil Dead for the first time last night.

eh.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Just saw Evil Dead for the first time last night.

eh.

I think what happened with Evil Dead is, #1 was meant to be a "serious" low budget, horror film, but ended up so cheesey and awful, people watched it instead for it's comedic value. So with number 2 they kept it to the horror theme, but tried to make it more fun, since that's what sold number one for them. THen with the third, they abandoned the horror vibe, and went full on comedy. Also the apocalypse ending is shit, I can't believe I bought the version with that ending, instead of the S*Mart ending. :\

EWom on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!"

"Come get some."

Army of Darkness is one of my favourite movies.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd say that Phantasm is a movie that excels in good rising tension, atmosphere and jarring moments. Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Astaereth wrote: »

Cat People (not the original) was full of sex and violence and utterly ridiculous, which is basically what I expected from Paul Schroeder. Schroeder is essentially Verhoeven, only artier, which is good if you're in the mood for it. The Bowie score/theme is very nice. And I liked the nods to the Lewton classic.

Did you mean Giorgio Moroder for score? I hilariously own the soundtrack on vinyl.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Question about PA2:
    I've heard that the reason the family (and Katie by extension) were being tormented was because of a relative selling their first born son to a demon in exchange for wealth and fame or something. Is this true?

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Green wrote: »

The remake does a pretty good job of making you wonder if Freddy really was guilty of child molestation in the first place, changing his entire dynamic from ghostly serial killer to a horrifically wronged innocent man lashing out at the children that essentially murdered him. It's really a refreshing and brave new take on the series.

HAHA PSYCHE Freddy's totally evil.

I'm unspoilering this for a few reasons;

1. The way they do double reverse backflip on his evilness makes the twist completely unworthy of spoilerage. Like, Don't fuck with me on making a salient point about the way we treat accused child molesters only to contravene it in the end. SOmeone might say "Aha you were taken on this emotional journey where you felt bad for everyone at different times" but it was just a big fuck you to the reasons your emotions changed.
    2. It's the one thing in this movie that could have done to differentiate itself from others in the field beside iconic villain. The whole "maybe we're the real monsters" trope is so often under utilized in modern horror it makes it non cliche here.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Green wrote: »

HAHA PSYCHE Freddy's totally evil.

I'm unspoilering this for a few reasons;

1. The way they do double reverse backflip on his evilness makes the twist completely unworthy of spoilerage. Like, Don't fuck with me on making a salient point about the way we treat accused child molesters only to contravene it in the end. SOmeone might say "Aha you were taken on this emotional journey where you felt bad for everyone at different times" but it was just a big fuck you to the reasons your emotions changed.
    2. It's the one thing in this movie that could have done to differentiate itself from others in the field beside iconic villain. The whole "maybe we're the real monsters" trope is so often under utilized in modern horror it makes it non cliche here.

That sounds like serious executive meddling to me, or focus group editing.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I doubt there was meddling. Major scenes are dependent upon him being guilty, as is the motivation behind his pursuit of the main character, and I just don't see how the film could work if he had been wrongfully killed.

That said, I agree that it would have been more interesting if he had been innocent. That scene where Jackie Earle gets roasted is the only redeeming moment in the film.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I agree, it'd be interesting if they'd run with Freddy not having actually been fuckevil.

Ridley (fucking) Scott has talked about how the Alien was maybe not the evil one on the Nostromo, but that it was just freaked the fuck out, and was being chased around with flamethrowers and cattleprods. I would make a fun-mess in my pants if this is how he played it in the prequels.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I watched two horror movies recently, The Signal and Thirst

The Signal was good. An odd switch from a 28 Days Later vibe to black comedy and then back. It was mostly good but the ending was a bit weak.

The Signal is so good. SO GOOD.

I had no idea it even existed until my friends suggested we go see it, and it instantly became one of my all-time favorites. I absolutely love the deadpan humor in the second bit.

"He had it coming. ...Probably."

Green on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Question about PA2:
    I've heard that the reason the family (and Katie by extension) were being tormented was because of a relative selling their first born son to a demon in exchange for wealth and fame or something. Is this true?
    It's hypothesized by the daughter but never actually confirmed. She'd been doing research on demons and read that if someone makes a deal with a demon, the demon might take his payment as the firstborn son. The family is affluent and the daughter wonders if her great grandparents made a deal to become wealthy. However, the family hadn't had any male heirs since around the 30s, so the demon started acting up when Hunter, their son, was born.

Then again, the wives had apparently made contact with spirits when they were younger, so you can't really say who instigated the haunting.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I agree, the Signal is actually a really fun film. If you've read Stephen King's Cell (a rather excellent variation on a zombiepocalypse), the Signal is basically Cell: The Movie. It's also on Instant Watch right now!

I never caught Predators, and I realize it's more action sci-fi than horror, but how does it work out horror-wise?

Edit: Another over-looked modern horror film is Bug. It does a very good job of showing what a true paranoid could go through.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Edit: Another over-looked modern horror film is Bug. It does a very good job of showing what a true paranoid could go through.

Bug is hands down one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    didn't I am legend completely mess up who the real monster is? I read the book but never watched the movie, only heard they could have taken the ballsy way to end it but instead made it lame.

Jars on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    didn't I am legend completely mess up who the real monster is? I read the book but never watched the movie, only heard they could have taken the ballsy way to end it but instead made it lame.

pretty much

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am Legend was fantastic pretty much the whole way through until the end. I didn't mind the change to the monsters all that much (although I freaking love the imagery of "NeviLLLLLLLLLLE!" being yelled at him all night, every night), but the end was complete rubbish. Basically he was the Legend of the good guys about someone who fought back or somesuch bullshit instead of being the Legend to the new race of vampire human monsters as the greatest serial killer of all time.

Will Smith was amazing in it though, and I'd recommend watching it for his performance alone. I've liked him in most stuff I've seen of him, but he really shows some chops in I Am Legend.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it was the complete irony too. He becomes the thing that stalks them in the day. You better eat your vegetables, or Robert Neville will get you in your sleep!

Jars on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I know! So good! Just don't go in expecting that level of wit with I Am Legend the movie, and you're all set.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am Legend was fantastic pretty much the whole way through until the end. I didn't mind the change to the monsters all that much (although I freaking love the imagery of "NeviLLLLLLLLLLE!" being yelled at him all night, every night), but the end was complete rubbish. Basically he was the Legend of the good guys about someone who fought back or somesuch bullshit instead of being the Legend to the new race of vampire human monsters as the greatest serial killer of all time.

Will Smith was amazing in it though, and I'd recommend watching it for his performance alone. I've liked him in most stuff I've seen of him, but he really shows some chops in I Am Legend.

The movie was originally supposed to end with Will Smith's character realizing he was the monster. In fact, the DVD release has that ending as an alternative ending. Supposedly test audiences didn't react well to it.

Hexmage-PA on