As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Walking Dead] Season one is over "Man I'm gonna get shitfaced drunk, again"

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Interesting, and where did you guys see the first episode?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So is this the kind of zombie stuff where people do insanely stupid things because that's just how it's done in zombie stories? Or is this the kind of zombie stuff where I can actually watch it without wanting to set my TV on fire because the the writing is so stupid?

Because I like zombie stuff, but hate a lot of the tropes which go along with zombie fiction. Mostly, the tropes involving those inevitable, horrible, insane decisions at the 11th hour.

What tropes? The I can't kill zombies because they might come back to life? Yeah that happens pretty early.

But unlike the typical zombie story, it doesn't end in 90 minutes, so the survivors actually get to learn from their mistakes.

Dracil on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are some dumb moments in the beginning, but that's primarily because people have no idea how to act in a zombie apocalypse and not really a fault of the writing. I'd say that Walking Dead manages to paint a pretty realistic portrait of how most people would act if something like this were to happen - relatively speaking, of course. The more the story progresses, the cast are less inclined to make mistakes.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm talking about the kind of late-game events where the armored escape vehicle gets flipped on its side because the driver is a moron (how the hell are zombies going to get through welded steel plate?) or some idiot opens a door somewhere to try and escape and lets in all the zombies.

Stuff like people making mistakes early on doesn't bother me at all because that's the nature of dealing with a new crisis. Stupid end-movie disasters have basically ruined the zombie genre for me, though.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In a series without an ending, there is no such thing as a late-game event. And the true test of late game survival has never really been about zombies anyway. It's other groups of survivors and your own ability to stay sane/human.

You already proved you can survive zombies by not becoming one of them in the first year.

Dracil on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm talking about the kind of late-game events where the armored escape vehicle gets flipped on its side because the driver is a moron (how the hell are zombies going to get through welded steel plate?) or some idiot opens a door somewhere to try and escape and lets in all the zombies.

Stuff like people making mistakes early on doesn't bother me at all because that's the nature of dealing with a new crisis. Stupid end-movie disasters have basically ruined the zombie genre for me, though.

Nah, this series isn't like that at all. You'll find out pretty soon the zombies aren't the real major threat. The whole series is about the human condition. It's just survival of the fittest. It's a character study crossed with a horror movie.

Warcry on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, in the graphic novels, the zombies are more of a backdrop than the actual focus of the show.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are entire stretches of issues that don't have the undead in them at all

And then the letters column gets filled with "WTF WHERE ARE ALL THE ZOMBIES YOU SUCK KIRKMAN" and I die a little more inside

Green on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    If only Direct TV would get fucking AMC HD already.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I keep having zombie dreams. I think its because of my anticipation of this show.

The strategy is usually to keep moving to new locations so the zombies don't swarm us and to find more survivors. Last night we were in an high-rise apartment building and I was trying to convince everyone how to deal with the zombies. Keeping people quiet and ninja-like is probably the most difficult, especially when you are under threat from zombies. The other issue is finding practical weapons in a city environment.

They are pretty fun dreams, but that's probably because we never really lose anyone to the zombies.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I keep having zombie dreams. I think its because of my anticipation of this show.

The strategy is usually to keep moving to new locations so the zombies don't swarm us and to find more survivors. Last night we were in an high-rise apartment building and I was trying to convince everyone how to deal with the zombies. Keeping people quiet and ninja-like is probably the most difficult, especially when you are under threat from zombies. The other issue is finding practical weapons in a city environment.

They are pretty fun dreams, but that's probably because we never really lose anyone to the zombies.

I always feel guilty after zombie dreams where I know who the zombie was and killed them. But it's like...I think they'd understand- they were a zombie.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I find that if I think really hard about zombies before I go to sleep, or at least have one "I'm going to dream about zombies tonight" while I'm trying to go to sleep I can induce a zombie dream. I invite everyone to try this tonight before they go to sleep. It's awesome. It's like loading an NES cartridge into your mind.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I bought the first few hardbacks of The Walking Dead the other day in anticipation of this show.

I just finished the first chapter. HOLY SHIT.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I went through a period of like six months where I had zombie dreams every night. As much as I like zombies, these were terrifying nightmares where everything that could go wrong would. My guns would misfire, melee weapons had zero effect and I couldn't run very fast. Seeing, quite vividly, your parents getting eaten alive, night after night, is traumatizing as fuck.

I cut zombie fiction out of my life entirely until the nightmares stopped. Now I'm in the clear! :mrgreen: Can't wait for next sunday!

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I bought the first few hardbacks of The Walking Dead the other day in anticipation of this show.

:^:

That sums it up pretty well.

SteevL on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Soooo.... the first episode might or might not have leaked on the intertubes.

It might or might not be pretty darned good!

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ego wrote: »

I'm sorry but I've got to resist this. Nothing is going to destroy the magic that will be my evening on the 31st. Nothing. Thinking about that night has been what's kept me going for the past couple of months. If anyone spoils me I will destroy their throats and faces and eyes and fingers. Until they are unable to communicate ever again. Infact I'm going to go ahead and blacklist myself from my own thread until after the premiere.Ta ta For now.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    The premier is going to be showing in a beer & pizza theater here in Portland, and I want to keep that experience fresh, so no downloading for me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The premier is going to be showing in a beer & pizza theater here in Portland, and I want to keep that experience fresh, so no downloading for me.

Wow dude. I'm pretty jealous. That's fucking awesome. I wonder if there's anything like that going on in the Toronto area... TO THE INTERNET!

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ego wrote: »

I'm sorry but I've got to resist this. Nothing is going to destroy the magic that will be my evening on the 31st. Nothing. Thinking about that night has been what's kept me going for the past couple of months. If anyone spoils me I will destroy their throats and faces and eyes and fingers. Until they are unable to communicate ever again. Infact I'm going to go ahead and blacklist myself from my own thread until after the premiere.Ta ta For now.

While I may or may not have been pointed to where the alleged leak is spilling, I also am deciding to avoid taking advantage of said possible leak. I want to sit on my couch with my boyfriend and a big bowl of popcorn, and witness the glory of Zombie TV. The link I might or might not have in my possession holds no temptation for me.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm actually bailing on a halloween party next sunday just so I can hand out candy to the kiddies and watch walking dead when it premieres.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I peeked at my Halloween present early. It was awesome! I'm still watching this when it airs because I want to see on my nice HD TV instead of my crappy monitor. That and it was awesome.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Speaking of which, Vol. 6 shipped from Amazon yesterday!

Dracil on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Major Book (and show) spoilers
    Since shane is being billed as one of the lead actors on the show, I'm assuming they're not going to have him killed by carl in the first few eps right? Has there been any talk on how they're going to space that out, or if it's even going to go down that way?

amateurhour on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Major Book (and show) spoilers
    Since shane is being billed as one of the lead actors on the show, I'm assuming they're not going to have him killed by carl in the first few eps right? Has there been any talk on how they're going to space that out, or if it's even going to go down that way?
    It's a pretty huge plot point, I'd hope they eventually kill him, even if it takes a little longer.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I assume it would make a good season ender, especially since it's only 6 episodes.

Edit: The show is supposed to follow the same story as the comic, but with deviations, sidestories and new characters thrown in. But I guess we will see.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I assume it would make a good season ender, especially since it's only 6 episodes.

Edit: The show is supposed to follow the same story as the comic, but with deviations, sidestories and new characters thrown in. But I guess we will see.

So wait, is the first season only six episodes, and then a full run for season 2? or did they pick up a full season one?

I know that it got renewed for a full season already, I just don't know if it's first or second season.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SteevL wrote: »

I just went and downloaded it on my iPhone (woo comic app) and read the first bit, issues 1-6 I believe.

I'd like to echo holy shit.
    Fuck yeah Carl.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »

So wait, is the first season only six episodes, and then a full run for season 2? or did they pick up a full season one?

I know that it got renewed for a full season already, I just don't know if it's first or second season.

Only first. Second season is not confirmed yet, but assuming it will happen, it will be 13 episodes.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

I just went and downloaded it on my iPhone (woo comic app) and read the first bit, issues 1-6 I believe.

I'd like to echo holy shit.
    Fuck yeah Carl.

This is on my Amazon Christmas List, but knowing that it was on the Comics app- how could I wait? Just bought and read the first 6 comics (Vol. 1). Now I see what everyone is so excited about, even if it is just a lot of set-up. It has a different feel from the zombie movies, and the art is AMAZING. It's my first B&W comic, as a kid I just wasn't interested without color, and I guess I never questioned that belief until now! Wow.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I SAW THE FIRST TWO EPISODES VIA PROMO COPY!

It's FAN-^#&$ING-TASTIC!

Violent as all hell, they don't hold back.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    I SAW THE FIRST TWO EPISODES VIA PROMO COPY!

It's FAN-^#&$ING-TASTIC!

Violent as all hell, they don't hold back.

SPOILER THAT SHIT I DID NOT WANT TO KNOW THAT THEY DON'T HOLD BACK!!!!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's ok, he's just pulling your leg. I've already seen the entire first season. I think their best touch was never actually showing any zombies on screen at all. It was a good way of subverting expectations.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think the best touch was making Rick a closet homosexual.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    And Shane actually being Rick's long lost twin brother? Fantastic!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    *walks out onto the roof of a building crying with a hardcopy of Walking Dead in one hand and a loaded snub nose 38 in the other*

Whyyyyyyyyyy make him a closet homo whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I too saw the first episode...it was fantastic.

I'm slightly concerned as to how they are going to broach a few scenes in the future though...

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So they sent zombie actors all over America to promote the film. How awesome is that?

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm slightly concerned as to how they are going to broach a few scenes in the future though...

Yeah, my wife (who loves the comic) says she can't see how they'll handle
    the deaths of some of the children. The decapitated girls and Carl shooting the other little boy come to mind.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

spoiler such scenes?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.