Options

2010 Midterm Elections, or: Barnum Was Right

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hahahaha

Hell yeah I murdered my wife, why are you blaming me

Where were the police when it happened, huh

Riddle me that, Batman

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    SammyF wrote: »
    Be that as it may: I thought the criminally-violent libertarian subset hated government intervention even more than they hate liberals?

That assumes they are not hypocrites.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Putting your boot heel to BP after BP dumps 70,000 barrels of oil into the gulf coast every single day: Un-American.

Putting your boot heel to a 5' woman for carrying a cardboard sign you don't like: Patriot.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That curbstomping guy really is despicable. Needless to say I hope that he and his fascistarian friends go to prison.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That curbstomping guy really is despicable. Needless to say I hope that he and his fascistarian friends go to prison.

Considering he either didn't retain a defense attorney or else didn't retain one smart enough to tell him to quit flapping your fucking lips about how you curb-stomped that woman every time a reporter dials your goddamned phone number, you asshole! then I think there's actually a good case he's going to wind up with something above and beyond the couple years probation and a fine plus administrative fees that I ordinarily would expect for a first-time Class A misdemeanor offense of this nature.

Is it in bad taste to gamble about this? If not, can I place an early wager on 90 days of three hots and a cot?

SammyF on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hope he doesn't go to jail just yet. I want his face on every television in America at least an hour out of every day before the election.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I hope he doesn't go to jail just yet. I want his face on every television in America at least an hour out of every day before the election.

You realize that they can still do that even if he's in jail, right?

In fact, they're more likely to do that if he's in jail, because then it's a bigger story.

But realistically, it won't happen pre-election.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I liked this one:
    http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/10/kentucky-stomper-i-stomped-because-of-back-pain.php?ref=fpa

He wasn't STOMPING on her! He just has a bad back, and needed to use his foot to keep her on the curb.

This man has .. problems. Hopefully he has time in prison to think over better ways to treat a bad back than attacking random people.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

They won't be able to schedule him on the docket for at least a month.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The point I was making is that if he's locked up, we don't get fresh insanity from him.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The point I was making is that if he's locked up, we don't get fresh insanity from him.

His hearings will be a media circus if they happen before election day.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Screen%20shot%202010-10-26%20at%201.54.38%20PM.jpg

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh. Yeah since it's a summons he isn't taken into custody or given a bond hearing or anything like that. It's like getting a traffic ticket -- almost exactly like it, actually, since the ticket itself is a subpoena or summons directing you to appear before the court at a certain day and time, only you have the option to enter an early plea by submitting a stated fine to the clerk of court. In cases of misdemeanors, he can't enter an early plea with the court; he actually has to appear for a trial.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Paul_supporters_who_clashed_with_liberal_activist_speak_out_105833648.html

"When we spoke to Profitt, he asked that his face not appear on camera."

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    SNN1321SA_280_865726a.jpg

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit.

I have that exact same outfit.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Doesn't the gun weigh you down?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not really. It does kind of throw off your stride when you're running with the tactical holster, though.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I think he is wearing it a bit too low for an efficient draw too.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

But guys, the weather underground did some shit 35 years ago! BOTH SIDES HAVE THEIR NUTJOBS! DON'T BLAME THE 'GOOD' CONSERVATIVES!

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm assuming this means Rand Paul is going to pay for some security to prevent his overzealous supporters from giving him a black eye. It's weird that the guy in a suit walking along the car who initially chased her off of Paul seems to have stopped pursuing her. It's been my perception that security people tend to be overzealous in dealing with the smallest of perceived threats.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I'm just now catching up on this thread today.

I... can't express my thoughts civilly at the moment.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Perhaps you can use your boots to express your feelings better.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Putting your boot heel to BP after BP dumps 70,000 barrels of oil into the gulf coast every single day: Un-American.

Putting your boot heel to a 5' woman for carrying a cardboard sign you don't like: Patriot.

The latest nutcase talking point is that not only did Obama cause the spill, but he personally kept BP from fixing it for months to hammer home his anti-drilling agenda

I know this because it's one of the things I've been designated a lunatic for not believing

override367 on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The latest nutcase talking point is that not only did Obama cause the spill, but he personally kept BP from fixing it for months to hammer home his anti-drilling agenda

I know this because it's one of the things I've been designated a lunatic for not believing

You should make a point of condescendingly referring to these people as idiots and mouth-breathers. I'm sure they'll love it when they're on the receiving end of snide comments about their mental faculties.

Where the hell do you go to school? Glenn Beck "university"?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Reason number 358 that tea partiers are hypocrites: love Jefferson for his quotes on tyranny, pretend he doesn't exist for his quotes on a wall of separation between church and state. Very similar to their selective reading of the Constitution.

anable on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    anable wrote: »

Reason number 358 that tea partiers are hypocrites: love Jefferson for his quotes on tyranny, pretend he doesn't exist for his quotes on a wall of separation between church and state. Very similar to their selective reading of the Constitution.

I swear that quote was directed toward people attempting to overthrow the government as well. So the patriots in this case were the proto tea baggers of the day.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am relieved that these dozen or so incidents are isolated. I wouldn't want them fraternizing.

Hachface on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Supreme Court: "We didn't know that companies would hide the fact that they are donating money!"
    "With the advent of the Internet, prompt disclosure of expenditures can provide shareholders and citizens with the information needed to hold corporations and elected officials accountable for their positions," Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote in January. "This transparency enables the electorate to make informed decisions and give proper weight to different speakers and messages."

Pardon my laughter.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The history of the USA has been one big "shut the fuck up, Jefferson."
    The British ministry have so long hired their gazetteers to repeat and model into every form lies about our being in anarchy, that the world has at length believed them, the English nation has believed them, the ministers themselves have come to believe them, & what is more wonderful, we have believed them ourselves. Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusetts? And can history produce an instance of a rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of its motives. They were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, & always, well informed. The past which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive; if they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. We have had 13 states independent 11 years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century & a half for each state. What country before ever existed a century & half without a rebellion? & What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is its natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusetts: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen-yard in order. I hope in God this article will be rectified before the new constitution is accepted. -- You ask me if any thing transpires here on the subject of S. America? Not a word. I know that there are combustible materials there, and that they wait the torch only. But this country probably will join the extinguishers. -- The want of facts worth communicating to you has occasioned me to give a little loose to dissertation. We must be contented to amuse, when we cannot inform.
    1. It is partly a criticism of the fucking Constitution which tea partiers love to masturbate to.
    2. History has been one big "fuck you" to the idea.
    3. Considering the people who actually had to deal with Shay's rebellion ended up supporting a new constitution, Jefferson wasn't in much position to talk when he was thousands of miles away in Paris.
    4. Jefferson's words don't mean that rebellion is always good. He calls the rebels in Shay's rebellion ignorant.
    5. This whole thing is representative of the problems founder worship and thinking of the founders as a hive mind.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Supreme Court: "We didn't know that companies would hide the fact that they are donating money!"
    "With the advent of the Internet, prompt disclosure of expenditures can provide shareholders and citizens with the information needed to hold corporations and elected officials accountable for their positions," Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote in January. "This transparency enables the electorate to make informed decisions and give proper weight to different speakers and messages."

Pardon my laughter.

The Supreme Court loves to avoid the obvious problem of people being assholes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Pardon my laughter.

The Supreme Court loves to avoid the obvious problem of people being assholes.

That's not fair. Justice O'Connor didn't want to make any rulings that might be seen as a rule. Justice Kennedy doesn't want to deal with people being assholes. Justices Scalia, Alito, Roberts and Thomas are assholes.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Pardon my laughter.
    Speaking of what against all odds is quickly becoming the worst branch of our government, somehow I did not know until recently that the Supreme Court held that the first amendment does not apply to public school teachers a few years ago. This concerns me greatly and I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten more attention.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Pardon my laughter.

The full section on this particular topic is part IV: B of Kenney's opinion.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/08-205.ZO.html

The part quoted is the last paragraph before section C.

Speaker on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it's funny

on most social issues I agree more with Jefferson than most of his contemporaries

but were i around in the founding fathers day I'd probably have been a federalist

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Digby says what I was trying to yesterday. But she's actually a good writer.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So a vote for Rand Paul is a vote for curb-stomping freedom of speech, right?

I'm late to this most likely but still. It's fucking atrocious that Paul's campaign worker is demanding an apology when he should get the life snuffed from him.

Henroid on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

I'm late to this most likely but still. It's fucking atrocious that Paul's campaign worker is demanding an apology when he should get the life snuffed from him.

Well, at least he is looking at 90 days to 1 year's worth of jail time, plus some parole stuff more than likely.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Well, at least he is looking at 90 days to 1 year's worth of jail time, plus some parole stuff more than likely.

Hopefully, honestly if I was his opponent I'd just run the video of his supporters stomping that young girl while the crowd chants his name.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.