Options

Star Trek - The Beginning of the Borg

SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!!Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
I would love to see a ST movie that showed how the Borg became the Borg. Some crazy scientist creates some bionic man (he had the technology) and injected him with nanoprobes. Bionic man goes all psycho and starts assimilating people. General populace can't protect themselves and the first all-Borg planet comes into existence.

They could show some of the species they conquered to get some of the fantastic technology they have and how the hive mind came to be.

I would pay real cash moneys for a movie detailing the evolution of the Borg. What say you?

SeñorAmor on

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I, too, would love to see this

But how would it jive with the master race that seeded the klingons/vulcans/humans/romulans/bajorans/ferengi etc

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No.

When they explain cool things like this in Hollywood now it'd probably suck.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wasn't the Voyager probe the beginning of the Borg? I think I remember reading some Shatner book 10+ years ago called "The Return" that dealt with it. Kirk comes back after being killed off in the movie and then takes out the Borg in an act of self-sacrifice.

[edit] Nevermind, I was wrong. Voyager 6 was modified by an already existing Borg unit or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_%28Star_Trek%29

I think this is non-canonical, too. Although I have no idea who's in charge of Trek canon.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Wasn't the Voyager probe the beginning of the Borg? I think I remember reading some Shatner book 10+ years ago called "The Return" that dealt with it. Kirk comes back after being killed off in the movie and then takes out the Borg in an act of self-sacrifice.

[edit] Nevermind, I was wrong. Voyager 6 was modified by an already existing Borg unit or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_%28Star_Trek%29

I think this is non-canonical, too. Although I have no idea who's in charge of Trek canon.

V'ger?

Nah.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy crap after reading that synopsis that book sounds ridiculous. I remember thoroughly enjoying it, however.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pretty sure the Borg collective was initially a single species in the Delta Quadrant that attempted to perfect their own evolution with the addition of cybernetic implants.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I, too, would love to see this

But how would it jive with the master race that seeded the klingons/vulcans/humans/romulans/bajorans/ferengi etc

Well according to TNG, that happened hundreds of millions of years ago, I think. That's plenty of time for a species to evolve and develop the skills to accidentally unleash the Borg. It's like Skynet. Maybe they thought they were doing it for the betterment of their species and it came back to bite them in the ass. Imagine if the holographic doctors went all apeshit and started killing patients or something.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love that Shatner was like "hey I should be in the new movie!"

And the director said "Uh Mr. Shatner you are dead in the series I'm sorry"

and the reply is "But I wrote a book where I came back to life! It's totally canon! Come oonnnnnnnnn"

Langly on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There was one Enterprise episode that kinda hinted at Borg shenanigans, and then that seemed to be completely disregarded in a later season when the ship was actually attacked by real Borg.

That later episode was actually due to and referenced the events in First Contact. Apparently at some point during First Contact, the Borg dropped something on Earth during Zephram Cochrane's time at the north pole or something, and then it got discovered by scientists and attacked the Enterprise. They managed to fend them off somehow, but they sent a subspace signal deep into the Gamma (or was it Delta, I don't remember, whichever was the one where Voyager ended up, not where the DS9 wormhole went) and they estimated it would reach someone there in XX number of years, which people figured out was about the time the Borg started showing up in Next Gen.

NNNNEEEERRRRRRDDDDD

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I liked First Contact even though it had holodeck shennanigans and time travel, two things I usually can't stand

Goddamn time travel

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Geek wrote: »
    There was one Enterprise episode that kinda hinted at Borg shenanigans, and then that seemed to be completely disregarded in a later season when the ship was actually attacked by real Borg.

That later episode was actually due to and referenced the events in First Contact. Apparently at some point during First Contact, the Borg dropped something on Earth during Zephram Cochrane's time at the north pole or something, and then it got discovered by scientists and attacked the Enterprise. They managed to fend them off somehow, but they sent a subspace signal deep into the Gamma (or was it Delta, I don't remember, whichever was the one where Voyager ended up, not where the DS9 wormhole went) and they estimated it would reach someone there in XX number of years, which people figured out was about the time the Borg started showing up in Next Gen.

NNNNEEEERRRRRRDDDDD

DS9 Wormhole goes to Gamma, Voyager was trapped in Delta.

I remember by using this simple trick:

DS9 was G(amma)oddamn awesome. Voyager was D(elta)umb.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wasn't there something about a group of humans getting stuck on a planet with a group of some super telepathic aliens, and all the aliens died except one who went crazy and took over the mind of one of the humans and that's how the borg got started? I think there was something about cybernetics in there too. Or did I just make all that up?

Deicist on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey I remember that The Geek, I thought it was pretty cool, which was rare because everything that happened after TNG ruined the Borg completely.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I liked First Contact even though it had holodeck shennanigans and time travel, two things I usually can't stand

Goddamn time travel

I hate temporal mechanics.
    colmmeaney-startrek1.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Borg origin could be done well but not by Hollywood as it would be too concerned about appealing to a large audience rather then the actual story.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    First Contact was a lot better in the time travel department then The One With The Whales

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    Hey I remember that The Geek, I thought it was pretty cool, which was rare because everything that happened after TNG ruined the Borg completely.

There was one episode in the first or second season that many people took to be hints and Borg-type stuff where they run across this amazing unmanned ship-repair station out in space and hey, it can't be bad since it's just sitting out here without any explanation and it fixed us up real good but hey, one of our crew died in some freak accident, oh but wait he's not actually dead, the repair station stole him and faked his death and strapped him into the station all matrix/borg style and started sucking his life juices to power the station along with some other bodies that are just hanging there.

Then they win and escape, but right before the end credits, the station starts kinda reconfiguring itself and acting on its own like it's gonna go do something but nope, we never see it again, thanks Berman and Braga.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

NNNNEEEERRRRRRDDDDD

I think the sphere that went back in time actually crashed at the North Pole. When the researchers were digging around, they found the strange technology and eventually a frozen Borg.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    sometimes the best way to ruin something is to explain it

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »

Yup

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Borg episodes of T:NG were always so great

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    See: Midichlorians

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Borg were pretty interesting before they added the Queen or whatever she was called.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The whole Janeway/Borg queen lesbian thing was not as hot as it might sound.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Borg were pretty interesting before they added the Queen or whatever she was called.

I wanted to nail her before it turned out she was just a spine

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Was that from Voyager? Or First Contact?

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

what do you mean

HeavyVillain on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    neville wrote: »

Was that from Voyager? Or First Contact?

First Contact

I reckon Voyager has been mostly blocked from mah brain like a traumatic memory

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    neville wrote: »
    The Borg episodes of T:NG were always so great

Yeah they were and don't even get me started on how they had a thing going with Hugh that would have let them take the Borg in an interesting narrative direction but instead they made them the new Klingons BLARGH NEEEEERD RAAAAGE

Peen on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

what do you mean

The mystery is gone if its explained.

Still, I'd watch it if they made a Borg origin movie.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

what do you mean

mystery can be a million times cooler than understanding

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Liiya wrote: »

what do you mean

I think V was trying to be clever by making someone explain the prior quote and thus ruin it

Let's all shun him

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    as was mentioned the midichlorians thing is the ideal example

like oooh isn't the force cool it's all mystical and shit some people have an affinity for it, others don't, it is mysterious and powerful-

wait what it's caused by microorganisms in the blood

what

that doesn't even make sense within the context of the hyperspace laser sword turbolaser world

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

what do you mean

I think V was trying to be clever by making someone explain the prior quote and thus ruin it

Let's all shun him

Oh, whoops!

Liiya on
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

what do you mean

Let's all shun him

:(

PA forum status: Shunned

HeavyVillain on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I was going to make this a post about how I wasn't expecting him to be that clever and perhaps my meaning is that he is dumb but I don't think I know the guy well enough to be throwing around jokes like that

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    All that being said though, I was surprised at how well they handled the Klingon forehead ridges thing in Enterprise, even if they really shouldn't have even done it in the first place.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    All that being said though, I was surprised at how well they handled the Klingon forehead ridges thing in Enterprise, even if they really shouldn't have even done it in the first place.

Was that the thing with the virus?

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've got to admit that I didn't watch Enterprise at all. I just know that one you mentioned because it was in the Borg dvd pack that I got because it had all of the good Borg episodes too.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    in the last star wars book I borrowed from my sister (who bought them religiously)

I remember there being a guy they found floating in a tank
    who was injected with craploads of midichlorians
    and had lightsabers implanted in his wrists, elbows and knees

"that's it," I thought, "I'm done with this"

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif