Options

You Startled the [Chat]!

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ughhhhh work just said I have to stay really late tonight. So much for Fable 3-athon.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    why dont they just make a vaccine for aids already

It's a RNA based virus that uses reverse transcriptase to insert into DNA.

RNA is much less stable than DNA so it mutates an awful lot making it very difficult to make a vaccine for it that wouldn't be outdated within 30 seconds of its creation.

If that was a facetious question - ignore me.

It's also single stranded, which makes it mutate even faster. But I seem to recall they had some hope for a vaccine in Thailand. Still, not super 100% effective, obviously, as HIV IS an insane mutator.

Personally I think it's a pretty useless endeavour to even try. It mutates so quickly that one person may have several variants of it at the same time.

Daxon on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Redownloading Overlord 1 and Kings Bounty on my steam. I really can't wait. Overlord is really fun.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nanotechnology will sort it all out real quick. Either all the AIDS will get killed or the robots will miss and you'll have billions of tiny holes in your body.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm

I found some nice coats online but not at stores that have locations around here. I'm kind of leery of buying a $200-$300 coat without being able to try it on first.

The only place we do have around here where I might possibly have what I'm for is Burlington Coat Factory and from what I see on their website it doesn't look like they really stock it though.

Boo-urns =\

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Nanotechnology will sort it all out real quick. Either all the AIDS will get killed or the robots will miss and you'll have billions of tiny holes in your body.

Followed by sharp increases in plasma K+, cardiac arrythmias, and death.

Daxon on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Eh maybe. But we know vaccines way better than the other stuff that could be more useful against the virus. It makes sense that people would look to a vaccine if they don't understand the difficulty of fighting a disease that mutates so quickly.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    dear muse, please come back

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Eh maybe. But we know vaccines way better than the other stuff that could be more useful against the virus. It makes sense that people would look to a vaccine if they don't understand the difficulty of fighting a disease that mutates so quickly.

It does not make sense that biologists would not know how difficult it is and so would continue searching.

edit: besides, we have super effective treatment for it now that essentially removes any and all effects of HIV positivity. It's a bit redundant and there's no way a gov't sponsored HIV protection plan will be coming out.

Daxon on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ughhhhh work just said I have to stay really late tonight. So much for Fable 3-athon.

At least it's the weekend.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Intel, Samsung, and Toshiba are joining forces and pooling R&D efforts in a consortium funded in part by the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (an expected 50 percent, or 5 billion yen / US $62 million) and the rest from the members. The goal? Semiconductor chips nearing 10nm by 2016.

35nm in six years! Ready set go!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »

Let's do the time warp again!

Oh snap you just reminded me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9zHD6-f_YI

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Actually, the more I think about it the worse an HIV vaccine sounds. It would just give people the impression that unprotected sex with strangers becomes okay and stops being dangerous.

Dear god, HIV vaccines are the dumbest thing in the world.

Daxon on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jrc4l46t0c

edit: i'm not entirely sure why this is funny.

What language is that? Swedish?

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    HIV vaccines are a good idea. Teaching people that safe sex is still required is a good idea. Since HIV isn't the only you can get from unprotected sex. And the amount of lives it would save would be worth it.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

At least it's the weekend.

Yeah, I'm doing my best to not complain because the rest of my office is being really annoying hostile about it.

We've been working 8 hours days since the beginning of October and we knew it had to ramp up again sometime. Only thing that sucks is that next week we go back to 15 hour days so this weekend was hopefully going to be kind of a last refuge.

Oh well.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Has the internet given us a woman with retard child as sarah palin for halloween yet?

no, but they have done this:
    abughraibhalloween.jpg

That is qdorable

also Patti smith

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jrc4l46t0c

edit: i'm not entirely sure why this is funny.

What language is that? Swedish?

Yup, though he's horribly mauling the language in a very specific immigrant-sounding way.

Guess that's where the humour's supposed to be coming from. The guy being interviewed is apparently searching for a guy called the "Laser man" who has been sniping off immigrants in my home town. He quite vividly describes how he's going to cut out the man's tongue and ears, then chop his head off and hand him over to the police.

Also he's going to be murdering the man's family.

It's overall all very uncivilised behaviour he's suggesting.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Actually, the more I think about it the worse an HIV vaccine sounds. It would just give people the impression that unprotected sex with strangers becomes okay and stops being dangerous.

After AIDS, there was NRS, then there was UBT. One of the first things Cocteau did was to outlaw and engineer all fluid transfer out of socially acceptable behavior.

Kagera on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010

It does not make sense that biologists would not know how difficult it is and so would continue searching.

edit: besides, we have super effective treatment for it now that essentially removes any and all effects of HIV positivity. It's a bit redundant and there's no way a gov't sponsored HIV protection plan will be coming out.

There's still a reason to try to mold what you know to work instead of researching new ones. And they have to get funding from people who aren't always so educated. I mean, people ARE looking for vaccines, that's just not where most of the useful research is being done.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Time to start designing my tower.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

ah yes a new variation on the "cervical cancer teaches women to not be slutty" argument

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

This is only really in the first world though. Poorer regions would benefit immensely.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am really close to getting Minecraft. I dicked around with the one online and it was fun. I built this cute little house and made a lake of lava around it.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

ah yes a new variation on the "cervical cancer teaches women to not be slutty" argument

Contraception teaches kids there are no consequences!

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh hey, Steorn is selling do it yourself free energy kits for only 400 pounds.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

That can't be like, an actual thing you think is true

Can it?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

This is only really in the first world though. Poorer regions would benefit immensely.

I guess it would benefit them immensely. But there are other things I'd prioritise that a far less impossible to accomplish.

Like clean water, and an abundant food supply.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am really close to getting Minecraft. I dicked around with the one online and it was fun. I built this cute little house and made a lake of lava around it.

Dooooo it. Then you can see all the crazy stuff we've built on DK's server. :D

And now I'm gonna go eat dinner.

Be good to each other, [chat].

Passerbye on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Need one more for LoL.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I guess it would benefit them immensely. But there are other things I'd prioritise that a far less impossible to accomplish.

A stable, non-hostile government.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You can do all of them. And considering the infection rate in Africa and the amount of those who are dieing, died or will be infected and will die from AIDS I would say it should be a damn high priority.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

That can't be like, an actual thing you think is true

Can it?

This is definitely a thing I can see happening in the west. "Oh yeah no, it's not like I can catch HIV so who gives a shit any more"

I mean, people are dumb as shit - otherwise HIV wouldn't spread and gonorrhoea wouldn't be so painfully abundant.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Daxon, are you Ozymandias'ing me?

Kagera on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you can have AIDS or starve

choose