As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Lobbying like damn!

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sceptre wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Ghost really are underrated.

Shhh, don't mention ghosts.

Whenever I see ghosts in my PvT's I cower in fear. No other unit has the ability to make my army feel so... impotent (Except for maybe a raven if I have too many stalkers).

I mean if I'm rolling a pretty standard Collosus/Zealot/Sentry mix, it completely nullifies my ability to zone off enemies with forcefields which is the main reason collosus are so damn powerful.

The worst army I can even imagine would be composed of a ton of marauders and like, 2-3 ghosts.

i tried 4 gating a high diamond. He destroyed everything with 12 marauders and 2 ghosts, not even cloaked.

Playing protoss with 60% health on all your units sucks ass.

Joe K on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    More importantly than the lose of your shields would have been that your sentries wouldn't have had the energy for forcefields which means he can kite you all day long.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    While Protoss units tend to do more damage than any of the other races, the real reason they seem so strong is the fact that they have so much health/shield. Removing that advantage really puts them in a bind given how expensive Toss units are.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Trus wrote: »
    More importantly than the lose of your shields would have been that your sentries wouldn't have had the energy for forcefields which means he can kite you all day long.

This. While templars might be the direct counter to ghosts, you have to be playing so damn fast to be able to snipe them before they get an emp off. The fact that Templar are such an enormous investment combined with the fact that they can be so easily nullified by a misclick just makes ghosts one of the scariest things for protoss.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    You can give roaches a run for their money with lots of speedlings. I think early roach is the best way to stay alive and/or get a quick kill, though.

If you want to defend against early roaches without roaches, you'll need a good amount of lings, 1-2 queens, maybe a crawler.

Once you have speed researched, speedlings have some significant tactical advantages over roaches. They do pretty good in an even-food fight (depends quite a bit on placement of units, lings out in the open with speed are murderous, at a choke where they can't surround they're wasted), the big advantage of speedlings is if you have enough production / defense to hold off a roach rush, you can keep the roach player stuck in their base with the threat of speedling raids. Without a good number of roaches on defense or a blocked choke, a group of speedlings can run into a base, kill a queen and whatever tiny amount of random defenses are present, murder workers, and escape in the time it takes a group of roaches to get 2/3rds of the way to someone's base.

The big risk when doing speedlings is the roach player will absolutely murder you at chokes and can walk over you once they have a few banelings out. You're basically trying to marshall whatever advantage you get from speedlings into enough of an advantage to win the game when the roach player has banelings. Maybe with fast mutas, maybe with expansions, infestors, whatever. Roach + baneling will murder somewhere around infinity zerglings.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

That always seemed off to me, as though a ghost should take off a combination of 100 shields and energy inclusive, rather than drain both pools.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Maybe Day realized that all his Fundays have sucked <(^-^<)

Well team Monobattle is by far the best thing.

Except the funday-mondays have actually produced viable strategies and insights into the game.

No-Queens really showed me how Z production actually worked and made me appreciate queens as units and not just a production building. I'm sure I would have gotten more out of it if I were better with Z at the time.

Carrier-Rush demonstrated a lot of the power of carriers. I didn't recognize how powerful they were. They're now my go-to unit for any game that lasts long enough. While doing it, I also learned to appreciate motherships and learn how to use them.

Terran No-marine/marauder/tank helped develop Hellion-Thor for TvZ. Again, I'm sure I would have gotten more out of it if I were a terran, but it certainly helps for those times I get random.

Yeah, some of them sucked, but a lot of the funday mondays were really good for learning. Which is the whole point.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

That always seemed off to me, as though a ghost should take off a combination of 100 shields and energy inclusive, rather than drain both pools.

let's just make it fair for everyone and have EMP have the same properties it did in Brood War, alright guys?

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

let's just make it fair for everyone and have EMP have the same properties it did in Brood War, alright guys?

Put it on ravens make the radius bigger and have it strip all shields/energy?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    /shudder

/twitch

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it would also be a slow moving easily dodge able projectile. I don't think it drained energy or revealed cloak either.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I don't know if that'd be fair trade. God, I shudder to think what lockdown would be able to do in a ghost heavy TvP.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    it definitely drained energy

edit: And I was being facetious. It was better in Brood War but Ghosts are way earlier on the tech tree, and it shoots off faster now too.

it doesn't really matter anyway, EMP drains 100 shields and ALL energy which is the perfect amount for what you want to use it on most (immortals, sentries, and HTs)

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it cost 200/200 to research too

Jars on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

only if you give it the Monty Burns voice and make EMP a 200/200 upgrade that takes 120s to make, oh yeh, and irradiate and Defensive Matrix.

Joe K on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    mEEksa wrote: »
    That wouldn't fix anything Olorin!!!11!! Zerg just doesn't have any good scouting options. Those units are useless when banshees suddenly come out (what a ridiculous unit. Banshees are pretty much flying collossi without splash and the ability to cloak. How is that balanced?)

Actually, can you imagine banelings that didn't suicide? That would be crazy!

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Olorin wrote: »
    That wouldn't fix anything Olorin!!!11!! Zerg just doesn't have any good scouting options. Those units are useless when banshees suddenly come out (what a ridiculous unit. Banshees are pretty much flying collossi without splash and the ability to cloak. How is that balanced?)

Actually, can you imagine banelings that didn't suicide? That would be crazy!

do they fly and can cloak?

Joe K on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Remember when Banshees were gonna fire in a line like they do with that upgrade in single player? :D

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    About to watch Boxer V Nada. \m/ epic.

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Flying DTs. <3 Cloaked Banshees, don't ever change.

chuckleberryfinn on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm reasonably sure cracklings melt everything they touch. Banelings that survive the explosion, if you will.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bwahahahaha

It's not that he's dumb... it's that he's neural parasited by a retarded infestor.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    MashimaroMashimaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Movitz wrote: »
    God the kids are whiny nowadays. Midgame I realize i have too much cash and make 12 mutas to harass this Terran with. This is the only batch I make and they are slowly whittled down because I don't really care. I then roll in with 30 roaches and 30 hydras and roflstomp him from my 4 bases vs 2. His respons is "GG mass muta asshole". I...ah...wut?

Another dude said to me "Meh, If I had only had more bases and played better I would have won". Well...yes?

Now that my race-experimenting college days are over and I'm back in camp Zerg again I can't wait to climb back up to diamond. The hood down here has gone straight to hell.

I remember back in the beta that I played a PvP and this guy tried to cannon rush me. Actually, he caught me off guard and put me pretty far behind, but I did fend it off. I figured he was guarding his front with cannons (he was) so I scouted him with an observer and saw he was fast teching to collossi - so I went with void rays and zealots and took my lolrays behind his base and wrecked him (he didn't build any stalkers...) and he was all like "You're so cheap. Fuckin' noob, void ray spam, real original"

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Don't Zerg have the best scouting options in the game? Creep spread, overlords, speed zerglings? If you're playing zerg and don't see the whole map, i think you're doing it wrong.

But my fingers are too stupid to use them so I play Terran! IMBA baby, yeah. :D

chuckleberryfinn on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the last two days of gsl have been utterly mindblowing

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think you're in the wrong thread, guv.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaren john wrote: »
    Lobbyists are subject to strict laws and regulations. If operating within the guidelines it is legal.

Now if you want to look at bribery, unethical and shady political deals, those are called "527 groups" the corporations hide behind.

Bribing congressmen is completely legal now thanks to SCOTUS. Where have you been?

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Actually, if you want to look at bribery, unethical and shady political deals, then you should look at Arcturus Mengsk.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    MashimaroMashimaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Derrick wrote: »
    Lobbyists are subject to strict laws and regulations. If operating within the guidelines it is legal.

Now if you want to look at bribery, unethical and shady political deals, those are called "527 groups" the corporations hide behind.

Bribing congressmen is completely legal now thanks to SCOTUS. Where have you been?

Hhhhhmmmmm.... lemme think about that..... ZERGRUSH!!!!!!

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

rally_terran.jpg

zerg rush on
  • Options
    Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why is this 1.3mb gif so funny?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3388673/SC2Replays/1288640084717.gif

I laugh whenever I see it.

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mashimaro wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »
    God the kids are whiny nowadays. Midgame I realize i have too much cash and make 12 mutas to harass this Terran with. This is the only batch I make and they are slowly whittled down because I don't really care. I then roll in with 30 roaches and 30 hydras and roflstomp him from my 4 bases vs 2. His respons is "GG mass muta asshole". I...ah...wut?

Another dude said to me "Meh, If I had only had more bases and played better I would have won". Well...yes?

Now that my race-experimenting college days are over and I'm back in camp Zerg again I can't wait to climb back up to diamond. The hood down here has gone straight to hell.

I remember back in the beta that I played a PvP and this guy tried to cannon rush me. Actually, he caught me off guard and put me pretty far behind, but I did fend it off. I figured he was guarding his front with cannons (he was) so I scouted him with an observer and saw he was fast teching to collossi - so I went with void rays and zealots and took my lolrays behind his base and wrecked him (he didn't build any stalkers...) and he was all like "You're so cheap. Fuckin' noob, void ray spam, real original"

I usually get a kick out of watching people type things like that. I was playing some 3v3 the other day with two friends. We were Random/Random/Random so we never really knew what our strategy was going to be until kickoff. We start the game, roll Z/Z/Z, and here's the chat on the screen:

Me(All): gl hf
    Friend 1(All): glhf
    Friend 2(All): gl
    Opponent 1: Fuck you.

Me(Allies): 10-pool ling rush?
    Friend 1(Allies): You know it
    Friend 2(Allies): Definitely

(insert 4 minutes of gameplay)

Opponent 1: Gayest thing ever.
    Friend 1(All): Nah, I've seen gayer.
    Me(All): I once saw a rainbow fuck a unicorn.

At that point, all three opponents left the game.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mashimaro wrote: »

Hhhhhmmmmm.... lemme think about that..... ZERGRUSH!!!!!!

Yeah, what's up?

zerg rush on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just make banshees shoot banelings

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The best part about that gif is that guys name is inertia, while his drones have none.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It's amazing how much you can say in a 6 second animation

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The best part about that gif is that guys name is inertia, while his drones have none.

His drones still have inertia, you can't not have inertia unless you have no mass. :P

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mr. Party pooper over here :P

Sceptre on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just make banshees shoot banelings

they pretty much did back in alpha, they had that splash line upgrade they get in SP

I want to try that version of the game, with warping cannons and reapers that can kill 20 SCVs instantly

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It's amazing how much you can say in a 6 second animation

I don't get it

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.