Options

[Chat] me Rhonda

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The minimum wage laws wouldn't be so bad if the social safety net was decent in any way. It isn't.

Couscous on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes, we all know about the Tipping Scene

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Where I work they tend to seat the Chinese guests in the Chinese servers sections

because those guests are more likely to respond better

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    im glad i dont work in a restaurant or other place where tipping is a thing

James on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    His Corkiness on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like the idea of the proposed law where the head honcho of a company cannot make more than twenty times the salary of its lowest paid employee. I know if it was law it could probably be evaded through perks and bonuses, but if you could iron those out, it would be great for encouraging people to pay more to the masses if they want to buy more hookers and blow.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    What I don't want is for you to get my tips because you worked more hours; that's what an hourly wage is for. I worked a damned eleven-hour shift beertending and coffee-making, and I got tipped $35 on that shift. But I had to throw it in a jar, to split with people who didn't even work that day.

$35 for an 11 hour shift? Do you serve coffee at a gas station in the desert?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    don't tip me brah!

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey, I got passed over for a legit bartending job for a cute, inexperienced, blonde female. That's just the breaks around (everyw)here, and I gotta deal. And I was well aware that I was gonna be tipped less than the boobilicious ladies I worked with at my previous bartending job. I just... damn, I just want the money people are giving me for my quality work. Living check-to-check is a lot easier when you've got semi-nightly income as well.

And, man, I never know how to feel about the tipping scene. I mean, yeah, Buscemi's a prick in that movie, but I generally tend to agree, even if it means I don't get tipped as much.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Where I work they tend to seat the Chinese guests in the Chinese servers sections

well, that makes sense though

msmya on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I like the idea of the proposed law where the head honcho of a company cannot make more than twenty times the salary of its lowest paid employee. I know if it was law it could probably be evaded through perks and bonuses, but if you could iron those out, it would be great for encouraging people to pay more to the masses if they want to buy more hookers and blow.

on the other hand, couldnt that have the effect of paying lower wages to previously-higher-paid jobs to even out the balance?

James on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Wow, I finally got to eat. And my boss finally handed out the tips for the last three weeks; good thing my 'cut' only amounted to a dollar less than I was actually tipped in one shift.

How legal is this?

Very.

Well, in theory. So far as I know, it gets distributed amongst kitchen/other staff too. But it sounds like something shady may be going on.

Tip-out wouldn't amount to that kind of loss. Where I work, tip-out is 10% for bussers, 10% for hosts, and I think 10% for the bartenders, so servers still go home with around 70% of what they make in a night.

Yeah. I didn't phrase that quite right.

I meant that it's legal, and there's a bit of reason for not getting your entire tip, but that reduction sounds like the boss is pocketing almost everything, extremely unethically.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's the American assumption that tipping is a vital part of your income that gets me. It's like a continuation of Trickle-Down economics, where the less fortunate depend on individual generosity of the rich to survive. This bugs me.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What I don't want is for you to get my tips because you worked more hours; that's what an hourly wage is for. I worked a damned eleven-hour shift beertending and coffee-making, and I got tipped $35 on that shift. But I had to throw it in a jar, to split with people who didn't even work that day.

Google Maps my town: La Grande, Oregon. There is a space in La Grande.

EDIT: Also, I'm black and male and youngish. Not popular here. And the business is kind of new and unknown.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    It's the American assumption that tipping is a vital part of your income that gets me. It's like a continuation of Trickle-Down economics, where the less fortunate depend on individual generosity of the rich to survive. This bugs me.

Tipping is bizarre and I hate it (at least how it's done here) but I can't really... protest it without doing nothing but fucking over* my servers who don't deserve it.

*Except I live in California and the servers get paid at least minimum wage regardless of tips. But they still deserve more, generally, and it'd be pretty crappy of me not to tip them. And it wouldn't do anything useful.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    msmya wrote: »

Yeah. The reactionary liberal response is that it's racist but really it's just a thing that works. I've worked with some folk who don't have the best grasp of the language, but that's okay because my neighbourhood isn't the whitest, and a comprehensive understanding of English is not essential for living around here.

Another thing though is that more often than not asian guests aren't going to tip well. Which also sounds racist, but as I understand it's a cultural thing.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    James wrote: »

on the other hand, couldnt that have the effect of paying lower wages to previously-higher-paid jobs to even out the balance?

I suppose it depends what's pressuring the payroll guys the most: the top end need for hookers and blow, or the cost of paying the lower paid more.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Employees who are expected to receive tips earn a lower minimum wage than other workers. If they don't receive enough tips to bring them up to (or beyond) the regular minimum wage, the company usually has to compensate.

I imagine that this system helps smaller businesses to survive because it enables them to hire more employees at a lower rate.

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    msmya wrote: »

Yeah. The reactionary liberal response is that it's racist but really it's just a thing that works. I've worked with some folk who don't have the best grasp of the language, but that's okay because my neighbourhood isn't the whitest, and a comprehensive understanding of English is not essential for living around here.

Another thing though is that more often than not asian guests aren't going to tip well. Which also sounds racist, but as I understand it's a cultural thing.

It's a cultural thing here too. Where I was raised, tips were a reward for exemplary service, rather than withdrawn as a punishment for bad service. On one occasion, my father punished bad service by not paying for the meal at all.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

With many jobs, tipping being a vital part of the income is pretty much built into the law in most states.
    Laws in the states of Alaska, California, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington require all employees to be paid at least minimum wage. However, it is still customary to give standard tips in those places. Elsewhere, wage laws allow employers to credit an amount of earned tips against the minimum wage, allowing them to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage. As of September 2009, this reduction can be as low as $1.45 per hour in West Virginia, or as high as 100% in Virginia, reducing potential wages to $5.80 or $0 per hour, respectively. Which employees may have their wages reduced varies as well. The Fair Labor Standards Act defines a tipped employee as anyone receiving more than $30 per month in tips, although several states set a lower $20 per month threshold.[36]

Couscous on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish I got tips.

Cinders on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    I wish I got tips.

Me too!

"Hey, you're an awesome person, here's $5."

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

With many jobs, tipping being a vital part of the income is pretty much built into the law in most states.
    Laws in the states of Alaska, California, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington require all employees to be paid at least minimum wage. However, it is still customary to give standard tips in those places. Elsewhere, wage laws allow employers to credit an amount of earned tips against the minimum wage, allowing them to pay tipped employees less than minimum wage. As of September 2009, this reduction can be as low as $1.45 per hour in West Virginia, or as high as 100% in Virginia, reducing potential wages to $5.80 or $0 per hour, respectively. Which employees may have their wages reduced varies as well. The Fair Labor Standards Act defines a tipped employee as anyone receiving more than $30 per month in tips, although several states set a lower $20 per month threshold.[36]

And that's what bugs me. The law actively encourages trickle-down. What's my motivation for doing a good job in Virginia, if getting tipped just means my boss won't pay me as well?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The newest Indiana Jones movie gets shit on, but it was a decently fun time.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Google Maps my town: La Grande, Oregon. There is a space in La Grande.

EDIT: Also, I'm black and male and youngish. Not popular here. And the business is kind of new and unknown.

Hopefully you find better employment man, 'cause you're getting shafted. Tips aren't going to fatten your pockets adequately for the hours you put in unless business is really booming or your clientele is upscale.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    I wish I got tips.

Buy your shoes in the afternoon after your feet have expanded. :P

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Hahaha oh shit Virginia.

"Yeah, we're actually not gonna pay you, but if other people give you money you can keep it."

I wonder if they're allowed to pool tipping there too.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    And that's what bugs me. The law actively encourages trickle-down. What's my motivation for doing a good job in Virginia, if getting tipped just means my boss won't pay me as well?

The fact that you don't get fired.

It seems pretty broken to me. But again, as a Californian, at least my state isn't pants-on-head retarded about this.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, so Jade: Enter was pretty cool.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What's fucked up is that my clientele is fairly upscale. And, on even slightly busy shifts I stand to get decent tips, except for, ya know... the other staff members getting my tips. I mean, over all, it's not a bad job. I actually really like it, and wish I could just pick up more hourse so I could get rid of the bullshit over at Subway. I'm just frustrated tonight because of this little fuckarow, and the fact that I got assumption-pulled in early for work tomorrow.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It was! The refridgerator scene was cute and so was Shia LaBoeuf swinging from trees.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's definitely a culture thing (I'm Chinese , lol so I know) I tip regardless of how good or bad the service is, but my parents have done otherwise in the past.

msmya on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

It was! The refridgerator scene was cute and so was Shia LaBoeuf swinging from trees.

I went to see it with my Dad on opening night. We both agreed it was kinda fun (if not very good) except the last half hour or so, which was just ridiculous.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    By the way: I love you, [chat]. I was expecting to get some bullshit for ranting about this, but I had to vent anyway. Thanks for not being all sarcastic and shitty at a Froth.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    By the way: I love you, [chat]. I was expecting to get some bullshit for ranting about this, but I had to vent anyway. Thanks for not being all sarcastic and shitty at a Froth.

I missed this but I can go back, read the posts, and be retro-shitty about it if you like!

ALSO GUYS?!

GUESS WHAT I'M DOING!

I'M PLAYING MOTHERFUCKING GOLDEN SUN FANTABULOUS THREEEEEEEEEEE

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

happiest day of my life.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The only reason Crystal Skull was bad is that it didn't have Sean Connery.

And this is after Last Crusade, which is why Temple of Doom and Raiders get off with it, so there's no excuse.
    I keed, it was okay.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Why would you get bullshit for being a victim of what I see to be a broken system of wage payment?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The only reason I'm in favour of tips is because tipping is essential in a way to keeping restaurants like mine afloat. Get rid of tipping and servers, as well as any other job there such as busser, host, bartender, and in some places kitchen staff which receive a percentage of the tips are going to require pay increases. To facilitate this, price of meals increases.

Now you're probably thinking, what's the big deal, the guest is already paying the difference with their tip, right? Well yeah, sure, sometimes they are but tips are up to the guest to decide so that really depends on how the guest values his/her dining experience and his/her opinion of their server, but when you start to raises prices you lose business. Would anyone go to the Olive Garden if a steak dinner cost you $35?

And say what you will about the correlation between server performance and actual tip is, there are places where servers will bust their ass because one misstep with a table and they lose a good tip or the shot at a return guest. You want to create regulars, you want them to come back and you want them to request you and build up a report, but that drive starts to weaken when you remove that one big incentive.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Since I woke late, I have decided not to go into work 'till after 9 when hopefully the buses won't be as mental. However, I'll have to make up the time later in the week which will kinda suck.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Why would you get bullshit for being a victim of what I see to be a broken system of wage payment?

Because the internet is the place where people come to anonymously cut off their nose to spite their face.

stevemarks44 on
This discussion has been closed.