As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Language is neat

167891012»

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    what ever, sw ill

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I live at 1850 SW. Ill street,

so?

Swill on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wass ewiger, swüll

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Legba wrote: »
    how do you pronounce a single italicized exclamation point?

!

good answer.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5QFBETpDzQ

It's funny because I've met people like this.

Falx on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    everyone guess how many asian girls ive fucked

Franko on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Franko wrote: »
    everyone guess how many asian girls ive fucked

Negative one.

Legba on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    that means I'm still at the stage of virginity where the foreskin hasn't even peeled off my dick yet

Franko on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    circumcision argument in 1,2,...

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There is no argument. The victor has already been... well-covered.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dubh wrote: »
    There is no argument. The victor has already been... well-covered.

Indeed, someone is going to have to eat a slice of humble pie.

Legba on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i take back what I said about hangul being confusing, it is indeed really simple except for a few things

L|ama on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How does Formal vs. Informal language work?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    in korean, or in general?

L|ama on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Korean. Is it just like adding sir/madam to the sentence or what?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm more familiar with japanese, but I think it's similar. Part of it is honorifics, but there's also things like using the full long versions of verbs and putting desu at the end of a sentence. Explicitly stating things that are implied, things like that. Sort of like "I will go get your meal now, sir" instead of "im gonna grab the food"

L|ama on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think what Llama was saying earlier was that reading Korean is exceedingly simple; hangul refers to the written language - their alphabet - not the language itself.

In Korean there's actually a whole series of high forms and low forms as well as honorific language. So, say, you can use honorifics or not depending upon the person you are speaking of, but you may pair these with informal verb endings based upon the person you're speaking to. Also honorifics in Korean are not just like adding sir/madam to a sentence, they're a whole different series of particle endings and verb conjugations and in some cases special words. For instance, the verb 'to sleep' is different if you're talking about yourself sleeping or your grandmother sleeping.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    tl;dr

Fucking honorifics can suck all of the dicks

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ...also also I hope that didn't come off as pedantic disagreement with anything you said, Llama, I just like talking about Korean

On the other hand

"배운 문법과 어휘를 활용하여 다양한 상황에서 말하는 연습을 많이 하기 바람."

Four A's and a C for the semester :(

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    oh no disagree with me as much as you want

the only reason I learned about honorifics was because after about 2 or 3 years of high school japanese they decided to go "alright all of what we have taught you is overly polite bullshit and nobody actually talks like that it's just easier to teach and learn, let's start again"

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I wasn't really disagreeing I don't think! That's what I was afraid I sounded like, though. Sometimes I'm irritable, like a sleepy bear. I don't mean to be, though.

Hey did you know that in Korean you say "I sleep a sleep" 잠을 잡니다 instead of "I sleep"?

Can we all just agree that this is ridiculous?

Who sleeps a sleep?

You also dance a dance but that, while weird, isn't totally baffling.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, one time I walked a walk.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    that is weird

how many verb/nouns work like that in english? Dance is the only one I can think of. 'walk the walk and talk the talk' I guess, but they aren't used like that outside of that expression

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    English does double up on related words some times, "sing a song", "see a sight", etc.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I sleep a sleep sounds really strange.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dream a little dream of me.

Legba on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    oh no disagree with me as much as you want

the only reason I learned about honorifics was because after about 2 or 3 years of high school japanese they decided to go "alright all of what we have taught you is overly polite bullshit and nobody actually talks like that it's just easier to teach and learn, let's start again"

I learned honorifics afterward

I was not surprised virtually no one speaks that way

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm going to drink so many drinks.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    well, fuck a fuck

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    gonna fuck you up

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ok so the double verb/noun thing is not actually that rare and just sounds strange in unfamiliar cases

that's mildly underwhelming

L|ama on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Póg mo thóin!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We'll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes; but the plural of ox became oxen not
    oxes.

One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese, yet the plural of moose should never be
    meese.

You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mice; yet the plural of house is houses, not
    hice.

If the plural of man is always called men, why shouldn't the plural of pan be called
    pen?

f I spoke of my foot and show you my feet, and I give you a boot, would a pair be
    called beet?

If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth, why shouldn't the plural of booth be
    called beeth?

Then one may be that, and three would be those, yet hat in the plural would never be
    hose and the plural of cat is cats, not cose.

We speak of a brother and also of brethren, but though we say mother, we never say
    methren.

Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him, but imagine the feminine, she, shis
    and shim.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    sigc.jpg

Swill on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    đi chết hết điiiiiii

Franko on